Author Topic: Time to Believe - We're Gonna Win The League  (Read 1031787 times)

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 'We're Gonna Win the League' Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 3, 2014, 01:21:24 am »
How many people would be able to endure the next 10 games if it really goes down to the last minute of the last game of the season?  ;D

We will be enjoying not enduring, but i know what you mean, 4-3 against Newcastle is written in the stars. Kolo last minute winner. 
No time for caution.

Offline Yerolo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: March 3, 2014, 01:30:35 am »
Imagine Anfield if we were one win away from the title on the last game of the season...

..and refereed by Howard Webb !   :wave

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #242 on: March 3, 2014, 01:42:02 am »
When was the last time two (or three) strikers from the same club top the table in the number of goals scored?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #243 on: March 3, 2014, 01:43:19 am »
When was the last time two (or three) strikers from the same club top the table in the number of goals scored?

It's funnier that Suarez has more goals than Van Persie and Rooney combined, and missed the first five games of the season :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 3, 2014, 01:51:56 am »

Fuck it, I'm in.

Welcome.

Shoes or Sambas are acceptable.
No time for caution.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #245 on: March 3, 2014, 01:57:39 am »
Gerrard picked up his 7th booking of the season against Southampton... 3 more and he will be suspended. It better not be a potential title-deciding game at the end of the season that he misses, that would be devastating

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: March 3, 2014, 01:58:46 am »
It's funnier that Suarez has more goals than Van Persie and Rooney combined, and missed the first five games of the season :D

Suarez and Sturridge alone have only one less goals than the whole manc team.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 3, 2014, 02:01:13 am »
Gerrard picked up his 7th booking of the season against Southampton... 3 more and he will be suspended. It better not be a potential title-deciding game at the end of the season that he misses, that would be devastating

I can't see someone like Gerrard not being aware of how close he is to a suspension, and he'll make sure not to get tot en. He just wouldn't be able to do that to himself or the team and fans.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 3, 2014, 02:01:39 am »

Isn't the 10 yellow ban only if you got 5 before the initial cut off period?
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 3, 2014, 02:10:02 am »
Isn't the 10 yellow ban only if you got 5 before the initial cut off period?

Yes, it is.

CAUTIONS     CUT OFF DATES (Inclusive)
5   31 December
10   2nd Sunday in April
15   End of Season
For example, a player earning their fifth caution of the season on or after 1st January would not earn any ban. However, if they received ten cautions by the second Sunday in April, a ban would apply. Players who receive 20 or more cautions in a season shall be required to attend a Regulatory Commission.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions#WLWzbYUoIzwrTjcH.99

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions
« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 02:11:42 am by sms1986 »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #250 on: March 3, 2014, 02:10:34 am »
Stop the mind games!  ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #251 on: March 3, 2014, 02:11:38 am »
arsenal got close in 2004 with pires and theiry
they got 3rd and 1st.
Don't think its happened in the premier league era but I think the advent of 1 striker formations and fancy balls you can blast from 30 yards hinders that a bit, makes it less likely. Great achievement if we hold it but lucky aguero went down to be honest.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #252 on: March 3, 2014, 02:14:25 am »
I can't see someone like Gerrard not being aware of how close he is to a suspension, and he'll make sure not to get tot en. He just wouldn't be able to do that to himself or the team and fans.
Chelsea game. Luis Suarez gerrard stands on the line as the ball hurtles  towards net. He saves it with his hand and gives mignolet the chance to save the pen. But must miss the last two games of the season. like fuck stevie fucking G is gonna let that ball in.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #253 on: March 3, 2014, 02:19:02 am »
Yes, it is.

no you;re reading that wrong I think. Its cumulative if memory serves me correct

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: March 3, 2014, 02:19:49 am »
We will be enjoying not enduring, but i know what you mean, 4-3 against Newcastle is written in the stars. Kolo last minute winner.
Bleh. I'd take Stevie G Olympiacos-esqe bomb in the 90th minute to win the title. :)

A man can dream! But I'd rather secure top 4 before even thinking of the title.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 02:25:41 am by OzBomber »

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #255 on: March 3, 2014, 02:22:54 am »
Who is going to be our Macheda for this one?

Just kidding. Who cares if we don't win. I'm going to dream of winning it. And if we don't win it this season we'll win it next season.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #256 on: March 3, 2014, 02:31:59 am »
That win at Southampton has forced me to put one foot in the door. A win in our next game at the old enemy would seriously make me consider it...

The great thing is you look at the body language of the players after every goal, every block, every save and you just know that they have that belief ingrained in them now. The players are trying harder than ever, putting in that extra ounce of energy to ensure we get the job done.

With each passing game, and win, I will believe that little bit more.

Offline yslee

• Main Stander
« Reply #257 on: March 3, 2014, 02:37:08 am »
You know, if we win every game left, that'll be 15 games won in a row, and breaks Arsenal's previous record of 14.

This is killing me. We need to smack every team silly, starting with the Mancs. I hope we can do it!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: March 3, 2014, 04:16:03 am »
Who is going to be our Macheda for this one?

Just kidding. Who cares if we don't win. I'm going to dream of winning it. And if we don't win it this season we'll win it next season.

Aspas. ;D

Its written in the stars. Or tea leaves or tea bags or coffee pods.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #259 on: March 3, 2014, 05:46:54 am »
I remember the 2009 season when the hopes of winning the league were alive and kicking until May. What a ride!

I know I will remember this season. It's already fulfilled many promises, but what a ride it could be!

I remember Yossi Benayoun firing in the winner late on at Craven Cottage against Fulham that season. With a few games to go. The fight was still on. It was still a long shot, but the fact that we were still legitimate candidates for landing the title made me celebrate that goal in much the same way that I celebrated Dudek's last save in the shoot out in Instanbul. I remember going fucking ballistic when Yossi rattled that in. Just competing for the title reignited and reaffirmed every reason why I started supporting Liverpool in the first place.

And I don't think I've come near to experiencing that type of fervor when seeing us score, until recently. Every time Suarez, Sturridge, Stevie, or Sterling hit the net these days I can't help but think "that's going to help us bag us the league title". Its just a buzzing feeling, that I can't quiet explain

Nostalgia and blinkered thinking aside, hats off to Brendan Rodgers. What that man has done, and the style of football he has re-instilled, is majestic to witness. The fluidity is like watching Kenny's 88 side at times. A bold comparison perhaps, but when we're on our A-game, we can truly cut teams up with absolute precision.

And Steven Gerrard, what a captain. I'll say it again, what a captain. What a player. His adaptation to the role he's playing now is not only a testament to his ability as an all round footballer, but a testament to his manager, who has obviously identified how to best utilize his array of skills in a manner that suits the team all round. Steven Gerrard will get his league medal under Brendan Rodgers. If not this season, then soon. Get it he shall

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #260 on: March 3, 2014, 05:55:33 am »

Any excuse to post this again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

This year at Fulham had shades of the 2009 game too, a seminal moment in this season for us.
:D

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #261 on: March 3, 2014, 07:24:20 am »
Flying in from US to Denmark 4 days before our final game of the season vs.Newcastle.

Have a ticket for morning of May 11th from Denmark to Poland to see some old friends and watch the last game, however, if it's still ON by then, I'd just screw the ticket and fly to Liverpool instead for the game and the after party.

It's been incredible. Loving every minute of it !

even if my plan failed...it'd be boss celebrating the title win in Poland with cheap beer and vodka, wouldn't it? Fucking hell, I have it all planned out already. We ARE doing . We will do it. It'll be the greatest May ever, even better than 2005 !
« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 07:29:22 am by downtown »

Offline Not2Xabi

• Anny Roader
  • AKA Glen Morangie - The 17th man of Tain!
« Reply #262 on: March 3, 2014, 07:39:01 am »

Now that's a prize worth winning!  ;)
"People will generally only accept facts as truth if they agree with what they already believe" Rafa would have done well to remember that before trying to make everyone aware of the "Facts", which, in the absence of the Govan tramp down the East Lancs Road, should now be obvious to everyone....3 penalties in 1 game at Old Trafford - indeed

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #263 on: March 3, 2014, 07:42:29 am »
Imagine Anfield if we were one win away from the title on the last game of the season...

I think the tension is getting to the Anfield crowd, you could feel the nervousness vs Swansea. I personally think having 3 away games in a row was a blessing in disguise.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #264 on: March 3, 2014, 08:05:33 am »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.
“It's risky,” said Experience.
“It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart.

Sigged!
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #265 on: March 3, 2014, 08:16:16 am »
Sigged!
The original quote wasn't mine, mate. :)
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #266 on: March 3, 2014, 08:27:27 am »
Think this is all we can ask for

« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 08:29:25 am by gazzalfc »

Offline GhostOfBenitez

• Main Stander
« Reply #267 on: March 3, 2014, 09:26:54 am »
god this thread.... not good for my anxiety when it comes to us  :no. If we do batter united i think every game after that i will have to drink till black out to be able to watch us play...

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #268 on: March 3, 2014, 09:30:22 am »
Think Manure are fucking lucky we're not playing them next weekend. The team must stay sharp over this enforced 2 week break.
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline LGarcia10

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream
« Reply #269 on: March 3, 2014, 09:42:53 am »
We had dreams and songs to sing..

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 3, 2014, 09:49:24 am »
Our aim needs to be that a win vs Chelsea at home in the 35th game of the season takes us to the top of the league.

If that is the case, just imagine what Anfield will be like. It'll make the 2005 semi final atmosphere seem like a siesta. Then we go to a London away, where 75% of the ground will be Red and then Newcastle at home.

MAKE US DREAM.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 3, 2014, 09:52:11 am »
How many people would be able to endure the next 10 games if it really goes down to the last minute of the last game of the season?  ;D

I'll be broke. Keep sticking money on the opposition when we go ahead to soften the blow if we lost points. Must have lost around 200 pounds in the last 8 days alone!

Arsed. I'd happily spend all my savings if it meant we won the league.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #273 on: March 3, 2014, 09:57:44 am »
Flying in from US to Denmark 4 days before our final game of the season vs.Newcastle.

Have a ticket for morning of May 11th from Denmark to Poland to see some old friends and watch the last game, however, if it's still ON by then, I'd just screw the ticket and fly to Liverpool instead for the game and the after party.

It's been incredible. Loving every minute of it !

even if my plan failed...it'd be boss celebrating the title win in Poland with cheap beer and vodka, wouldn't it? Fucking hell, I have it all planned out already. We ARE doing . We will do it. It'll be the greatest May ever, even better than 2005 !

I do admire your optimism, but steady on mate! haha

Offline Red Spen

• Main Stander
« Reply #274 on: March 3, 2014, 10:05:16 am »
All those doubting we can win it probably spent the whole of 2005 saying there is now way we can win the champions league...........

Offline Jim Pooley

• Not quite fit enough for walking football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Still can't afford an avatar.
« Reply #275 on: March 3, 2014, 10:35:48 am »
Yes, it is.

The rules you quoted show that he *would* get a ban if he reaches 10 yellows on or before Sunday 13th of April.  I.e. if he gets 3 bookings in the next 6 games.
However, if they received ten cautions by the second Sunday in April, a ban would apply.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #276 on: March 3, 2014, 10:38:56 am »
All those doubting we can win it probably spent the whole of 2005 saying there is now way we can win the champions league...........

If they spent the whole of 2005 saying there was no way we could win it then someone should have shown them a newspaper on May the 26th and they would have saved a further 7 months of doubt  :)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 3, 2014, 10:39:25 am »
We have to make anfield really intimidating for Spurs, Chelsea and City where they come. Hope the players aren't feeling the pressure.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline barneystuta

• Legacy Fan
    • This Is Analysis - Stories & Analysis about Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #278 on: March 3, 2014, 10:42:29 am »
Any excuse to post this again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NFsz446Yp80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

This year at Fulham had shades of the 2009 game too, a seminal moment in this season for us.

Love it, absolutely love it. We had beaten United 4-1 and Villa 5-0 in the two previous league games, however that was the game where I truly believed it was possible.

Parallels with 08/09 will always be drawn. Not least because the seasons panned out in a very similar fashion.

The first few months we grinded out results without really kicking into gear. The mid point was tricky (although this season was December, 08/09 was January). Can we replicate that run in though at the end of the season? That is the challenge for this Liverpool side.

If we can achieve 9 wins and a draw in our final 10 games, then we have one hell of a chance of winning the league. That was a dream once just 5 years ago. Can we dream again?

In my view, that squad was not too dissimilar to the one we have today. Two very key players in Torres and Gerrard got the goals (Suarez & Sturridge). Benayoun (Coutinho) and Kuyt (Sterling) have got a goal in them at key times in key games. There is no doubt that squad was much more experienced though. They had the Champions League and big game experience, many of them winning a number of Cups in their time with Liverpool (including the big one in 2005).

The remaining 10 games were evenly split home & away, the same as this season. Our form at home was very good in 08/09 with our away form indifferent (although we did have some cracking away performances).

What is different though? Well, the gap in 08/09 (with 10 to go) was 7 points and United had a game in hand. We were level with Chelsea on the same games played. The fixture list is was very different too. We had played all of our "rivals" (Chelsea & United) home and away. By the time Arsenal came to Anfield they were 9 points behind us (and 1st place) with 5 to go. That is a tough turn around.

This season, we have to play two of our rivals for the title. Just let that sink in. I am saying, you are feeling, we are in this title race.

You could see this one of two ways, depending on which side you sit. Playing our rivals at home is the chance to close that gap. Just imagine being 4/5 points behind City and Chelsea when they come to Anfield? IF we win, that gap closes to 1 or 2 points. And after Chelsea, there are just two games to play. Anything could happen.

Or, they are two very tough games and must wins. Anything less than 3 points in BOTH those games, will need a major slip up from them. A slight slip, maybe. A capitulation dropping points in 3 or 4 games? Unlikely.

Another difference is the teams. I always say we should have won the league that season. The only reason we didn't, was because they were THAT good. Once they got over the hangover from the Old Trafford defeat to us (followed by a defeat to Fulham), their form was faultless. Those game in hands turned into wins and what looked like a gap we could close, quickly faded. They wrapped up the title with 7 wins from 7 and only dropped points once the title was sealed.

Are City and Chelsea capable of that kind of run? City are in a similar situation in that they have games in hand. What they do not have is the big lead (at the moment) and points in the bag is what matters at the end of the day. Chelsea have won 5 on the bounce this season. City have managed 8. We have done 4, which is the run we are on at the moment.

Making that 5 at Old Trafford is a huge task. Despite their season, they will be a wounded animal. The likes of Rooney, Van Persie, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Giggs. These are experienced players who know what playing Liverpool means to Manchester United. Even with Moyes in the hot seat it will be no push over.

A week before then, Chelsea play Tottenham at Stamford bridge. Spurs are still hunting that 4th place and the gap is just 4 points. They can turn that into 1 point (as City do not play) IF they can beat Chelsea. What bigger incentive do they need for their season? I do not see them winning, they CAN take points off Chelsea though.

The following weekend, again before we play, City go to Hull at 12:45. You would think a banker for City, especially if they want to win the title. Chelsea go to Villa for the 5:30pm kick off. What a long day that could be for us watching!

I've played out every scenario in my head and I know which one I like best. Seeing us win the title in May is a dream, one I'd love to come true (obviously). I can not put myself in Anfield seeing Gerrard lifting that trophy just yet though. That is too much.

What I can do, is see us with City and Chelsea coming to Anfield and we are in it. We are in the race. Then, come what May, maybe I will imagine that magical moment.

So why am I saying all this? Am I getting ahead of myself? Will the bubble be burst in 2 weeks?

5 years ago, my bubble never burst until United had that title wrapped up. Even after the Arsenal 4-4 (which was crazy), I still had belief. I still dreamed.

What ever happens between now and the end of the season, what a season it has been. Our best Premier League points tally after 28 games. Our highest goals scored after 28 games (and the highest in the league ever). Destroying Arsenal, Everton, Spurs away. And it isn't over yet.

« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 10:48:14 am by barneystuta »

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: March 3, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
It is possible just because we were at the top at the start of the season, we've got the harder games out the way and we're looking like we're picking up momentum. We're going to finish very close to this year's winning target.

Chelsea are genuinely the only obstacle. They've had title-winning form from about game 11. We've had title-winning form from a little later than that (need to go back and check the APLT). No other teams have shown that consistency.