Author Topic: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 10th May 2021  (Read 57177 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 2nd Jan 2018
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2020, 10:50:24 am »
I just watched it and I'm trying to work it out. Why didn't we see what was behind the 9 window on the advent calendar? Did the mum damage her car by running over the loan shark? If she did, did she know? I think I missed a lot in that episode, I'll probably have to watch it back.

Yes, it’s heavily implied that the mother drove into the loan shark. You saw her watching her son leave and shortly after she’s talking about the accident (which isn’t elaborated on further) then we find out the guy was hit by a car. As Alan said it’s about the importance of doing anything for family.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2020, 12:21:06 pm »
Pete, since you have watched it, can you answer my question above? :)

To be honest mate just looking at the episode list I’m sure I’ve not watched series 2 of Pyschoville. Gonna watch it this week.

Watched episode 3 of the new series of In9 and was a bit confused initially. The rewatch was so much better and it’s all clearer now.

Spoiler

During the scene when the wayward son opens the 19th Window of the calendar with the little boy it flashes back to 9th when son robs money and beats up dad.  Dad has black eye from 10th day onwards.

16th 17th 18th are key days. 16th - Son returns home. 17th - Mum senses danger follows son and runs over loan shark. 18th - Uncle arranges for mums car used in hit and run to be fixed.

20th - Wayward son tells his dad he’s in trouble with Loan shark but neither knows Mum has already sorted the issue.

[close]

I thought it was a heart wrenching story of unconditional Family love and very clever storytelling.  Really enjoyed it.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2020, 06:59:31 pm »
Nah man Jake.  I'm not sure if the Uncle was her or his brother (in-law) to be honest.  Did they ever reveal that?

Spoiler
Uncle was still grieving over his lost wife.  Even 4 years later. (conversation between Pemberton and Shearsmith characters in the kitchen drinking beers)
[close]

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
Episode 2 and David's mum worried that he wont eat properly when she's gone

"Its OK. I'll have a flask of beans"

:lmao

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2020, 12:29:13 pm »
Last nights magician episode was lovely. Really enjoyed it!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2020, 09:48:16 pm »
Spoiler
Seemed a bit harsh murdering his wife, unless I missed something that made her fair game? But really cool episode.
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #366 on: February 25, 2020, 11:46:22 pm »
Also a bit of a gamble that he'd turn the cameras off when opening the safe (and remove his only alibi), rather than just, I dunno, cover his hand with his other hand?

Or that he wouldn't nip to the shops, or see a friend etc, establishing an alibi?

Anyway, that man now needs the services Jonathan Creek.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2020, 10:53:46 am »
Spoiler
His justification being that his grandfather was killed, don't think it seemed harsh on the wife from his point of view!

When he was on Skype to his wife she did say "I've got a client here" which I'm assuming was the young lad, but..  What was her job...?
[close]

Great episode!
@JonnYNWA

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2020, 11:30:39 am »
There's a decent companion podcast that goes with this series - on BBC Sounds.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2020, 11:32:59 am »
There's a decent companion podcast that goes with this series - on BBC Sounds.

Thanks for that, just started listening to the first one

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:02 pm »
Also a bit of a gamble that he'd turn the cameras off when opening the safe (and remove his only alibi), rather than just, I dunno, cover his hand with his other hand?

But that was dealt with in terms of 'the power of suggestion'. The lad talked about the cameras so made it a thing to consider. Very clever episode.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: March 2, 2020, 10:50:32 am »
Just reading recaps on the last episode 'Misdirection' and came across this

Quite interesting.  A list of the TV Tropes used in the episode

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/InsideNo9S5E4Misdirection

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #372 on: March 2, 2020, 11:53:16 am »
But that was dealt with in terms of 'the power of suggestion'. The lad talked about the cameras so made it a thing to consider. Very clever episode.

Yeah, that's fair enough.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: March 3, 2020, 10:27:38 am »
Spoiler
Seemed a bit harsh murdering his wife, unless I missed something that made her fair game? But really cool episode.
[close]
Spoiler
we don't know for sure she's dead though. didn't the police say she was missing. perhaps it was another body and she was either kidnapped or convinced to disappear until his trial. or maybe she was just murdered ;D
[close]

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #374 on: March 3, 2020, 12:01:10 pm »
Another meh episode.

Seemed a decent mystery, I was leaning towards them all being patients in different rooms of an ayslum somewhere ('Angel' said at one point something was difficult "in here"), but then the therapist/gatekeeper just providing a massive voiceover exposition dump in the last 2 minutes felt a really weak way to end things. Not one I'd bother with again.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: March 4, 2020, 12:01:21 am »
Magician one has been best one so far.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: March 4, 2020, 12:14:30 pm »
Just realised that was Ralf Little in the first episode

Regarding the last episode

Spoiler
As soon as Phil Davies character was introduced as a casually racist homopobe, I knew he was a wrong un' and a goner.

Bit of a messy episode to be honest but I get what they were trying to do and it was a quite a nice reveal at the end in my opinion

The characters were a bit cartoonish and not the best episode ever, but still liked it.
[close]

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: March 6, 2020, 03:58:15 pm »
The last episode by far the weakest of the season, but overall a good season.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #378 on: March 9, 2020, 05:43:43 am »
Interesting that they get some big names on this. As if they’re lining up to be on it. A real credit to the creators.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #379 on: March 10, 2020, 12:16:37 am »
I guessed the twist of this immediately when I saw the name of the episode.

Liked some of these, but I have to say overall it's probably the weakest season to date. Refs one was fun, the flat one had creepy bits and the magicians were very clever, but this one, last week's and the family christmas one fell flat.

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #380 on: March 10, 2020, 07:12:12 am »
I bet they wish that last ep would've aired before their mate Marks show did over New Years!
@JonnYNWA

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: March 11, 2020, 10:23:35 am »
I guessed the twist of this immediately when I saw the name of the episode.

Liked some of these, but I have to say overall it's probably the weakest season to date. Refs one was fun, the flat one had creepy bits and the magicians were very clever, but this one, last week's and the family christmas one fell flat.

I am a fanboi but I will agree that overall it's probably the weakest season - but that's not to day it wasn't good. Black Mirror has also declined but is still a must-watch for me.

Last night's episode was good but when you have been watching these guys for so long I saw straight away some of the tropes/nods (right from the second scene) and guessed the outcome. However it was still very skillfully done to mix tropes from two genres the way they did. I also always say that Pemberton and Shearsmith are actually really under-rated as actors even going back to LOG.

The Christmas/family episode in hindsight was the best of the season and the one that I would most want to go back and see again.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #382 on: March 11, 2020, 10:51:45 am »
I am a fanboi but I will agree that overall it's probably the weakest season - but that's not to day it wasn't good. Black Mirror has also declined but is still a must-watch for me.

Last night's episode was good but when you have been watching these guys for so long I saw straight away some of the tropes/nods (right from the second scene) and guessed the outcome. However it was still very skillfully done to mix tropes from two genres the way they did. I also always say that Pemberton and Shearsmith are actually really under-rated as actors even going back to LOG.

The Christmas/family episode in hindsight was the best of the season and the one that I would most want to go back and see again.

Yes, it was brilliant. Hard to see how people didnt like it. Too slow? Too subtle? Too family orientated?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2020, 12:42:25 am »
Interesting that they get some big names on this. As if they’re lining up to be on it. A real credit to the creators.

Yeah, they’re well respected among their peers.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #384 on: March 17, 2020, 08:15:48 am »
Yes, it was brilliant. Hard to see how people didnt like it. Too slow? Too subtle? Too family orientated?
The two writers on the Inside No9 podcast were interesting on this episode. They acknowledged that it had a totally different tone to the others - slightly improvised kitchen sink drama without a killer twist at the end. Far more subtle. I think they are particularly proud of it but admit it might not suit the regular No9 viewer.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #385 on: March 21, 2020, 10:57:37 pm »
Only just seen the first four episodes of series 1. Best thing I've seen on telly for ages. Mind you I hate most things on the telly, and most things generally, really. I'll have to read this thread and then come up with something witty, original and unexpected.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
AHA!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2021, 03:30:17 pm »
Gerrin!

Cheers for the HU.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: May 5, 2021, 03:02:32 pm »
This coming Monday BBC2 21:30

Permission to shout “Bravo” at an annoyingly loud volume.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2021, 10:59:29 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #390 on: May 5, 2021, 07:47:25 pm »
Permission granted.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 10th May 2021
« Reply #392 on: May 6, 2021, 08:49:04 pm »
And a thread name change to celebrate (haven't got a clue what this is all about but a request is a request :wave)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:14 pm »
I wasn't Fleabagging, I was Mirandaing.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2021, 10:55:47 pm »
I wasn't Fleabagging, I was Mirandaing.

I didn't get that bit. Everything else was solid gold. I never like the 'horror' episodes of this but love when they play with a concept in an overall light hearted way.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #395 on: May 11, 2021, 11:47:37 am »
Didn't like this opening episode, thought it was quite weak, but did have a good cast.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #396 on: May 11, 2021, 11:52:46 am »
I didn't get that bit. Everything else was solid gold. I never like the 'horror' episodes of this but love when they play with a concept in an overall light hearted way.

I missed that like last night (so many one liners flying about!), but in both those shows, Fleabag and Miranda break the 4th wall to talk directly into the camera in the way the character did last night.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
Gonna watch this later on tonight. Love it usually

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2021, 02:45:40 pm »
I missed that like last night (so many one liners flying about!), but in both those shows, Fleabag and Miranda break the 4th wall to talk directly into the camera in the way the character did last night.

Ah right. I've never watched either.

Also, I was amazed to find out that the Harlequin character was Kevin Bishop. Dunno what he's been doing recently but I quite liked his sketch show in *checks* 2008!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2021, 02:51:12 pm »
Ah right. I've never watched either.

Also, I was amazed to find out that the Harlequin character was Kevin Bishop. Dunno what he's been doing recently but I quite liked his sketch show in *checks* 2008!

Do you remember Star Stories? Was pretty funny in a very un-PC way. He also seems to know Hassinator on Twitter (course he does).