Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1824779 times)

Offline Ronnie1932

• Feels like John Holmes.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #7600 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:11 am »
Sterling will be signing a new contract, his agent situation totally changes in the summer and Sterling wants to stay. No need for panic here, find something else to wet your knickers about people.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7601 on: March 16, 2015, 10:13:27 am »
It's not the 150K in isolation;

a) If he gets that at 20 what will he ask for at 23?
b) Coutinho (as an example) will be asking for parity as their contribution is about the same.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #7602 on: March 16, 2015, 10:14:52 am »
Sterling will be signing a new contract, his agent situation totally changes in the summer and Sterling wants to stay. No need for panic here, find something else to wet your knickers about people.
We'll hold you to that promise, Mr Ward.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7603 on: March 16, 2015, 10:16:22 am »
That's Coutinho's problem. But, frankly, Coutinho has been nowhere near as consistently good as Sterling. If he were, I'm sure the club would renegotiate another contract with him.

Coutinho hasn't been as consistent as Sterling? That is VERY debatable.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7604 on: March 16, 2015, 10:23:21 am »
My personal opinion is there would be space in the wage bill to pay Sterling what he is asking for (when Gerrard and Johnson leave) but I don't think the 20 year old Sterling should be getting parity with the 25 year old, 20 a season Sturridge.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #7605 on: March 16, 2015, 10:30:55 am »
Also, Henderson has the same amount of assists as Sterling, only 2 less goals, is harder to replace in the team and has leadership qualities that shouldn't be underestimated in value.

Henderson's about 5 years older and a much more replaceable player than Sterling. A player I think more comparable to Sterling in terms of role in the team and strengths is Hazard. He has 10 goals and 6 assists in the league (16 g+a); Sterling has 13 g+a. If you go through the best goal contributors (goals and assists) in the league, he is up there and he doesn't take free-kicks or penalties.

G+A (age in brackets)
Aguero (26): 24
Costa (26): 20
Sanchez (26): 20
Kane (21): 19
Fabregas (27): 17
Austin (25): 17
Hazard (24): 16
Rooney (29): 15
Giroud (28): 14
Cazorla (30): 14
Sterling (20): 13
Silva (29): 13
Chadli (25): 13
Ings (22): 13
Oscar (23): 13
Downing (30): 13
Sigurdsson (25): 13

It doesn't take a genius or advanced analytics to see where Sterling is headed. Last season, as a 18-19 year old, Sterling put up 13 g+a and was our best player towards the end of the season. Hazard at the same age was struggling to match that and he played in a weaker Ligue 1.

If Sterling wasn't such an outlier, you wouldn't entertain these kinds of figures. But he is. I just hope the club doesn't 'cut its nose off to spite its face', as the saying goes.

Coutinho hasn't been as consistent as Sterling? That is VERY debatable.

It's not really debatable at all. Coutinho was more or less a no-show for much of the first half of the season and is heavily reliant on the players in front of him having the requisite movement. In terms of contribution to the attacking 3rd he lags quite a way behind Sterling (4 goals and 4 assist for the season isn't a very good haul). Even Eriksen has been a more consistent player than Coutinho this season. When on top of his game, Coutinho is a world beater, but he isn't consistent or hasn't been thus far in his Liverpool career.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:40:42 am by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7606 on: March 16, 2015, 10:45:22 am »
Wrt the above, I've posted stats before showing that Sterling is neck and neck with Hazard for non-penalty goals, and assists, per 90, for this season and the last. And only one of them has been playing at wing back. Hazard joined Chelsea on a 170k contract at the age of 21.

It's just a comparison, it's not a be all and end all. People underrate how good Raheem really is.

I think 150k is a stretch too, and somewhere around 100-130k is fair.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7607 on: March 16, 2015, 10:45:56 am »
And he is not even that good.
He is exceptional. Certainly for his age, but also compared to most other players in the league. He was the only one playing well until December, and since he moved up front, he was perhaps the main reason we turned our season around. He's scored almost 1 goal for every 2 games since then I believe, and performances like the one against Chelsea in the league cup were out of this world.

I still think 150.000 per week (if true) is too much, but lets not pretend he isn't an outstanding talent who is among the top players in the league. In our squad only Sturridge is better, but considering his injuries, it's fair to say that Sterling is our most important one (Coutinho comes close). It would be a massive blow to lose him now, but I can see it from the clubs point of view as well. It is loads of money for a player who is that young, and it could mess up our wage structure.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7608 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:52 am »
Amazing that people would complain about paying the worlds best U21 player the going rate.

Sterling is worth the top bracket wages because he's a top bracket player, and he's only going to improve.

Even in the space of a year we've seen him add CF to his armoury of positions and looks pretty damn good at it too. This is on top of becoming the star of title chasing campaign and impressive displays on the international scene.

There'd be a queue round the block from clubs willing to pay Sterling £150k+, because in a year or two even that will be seen as a bargain.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #7609 on: March 16, 2015, 10:51:28 am »
Agree with Cpt_Reina.

Sterling isn't just any run of the mill 20 year old, he's the best in the world. We really need to start putting our hand in our pocket and stop doing things on the cheap cheap.

I think he'll be gone, regardless of how much we are paying him, in a couple of seasons.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7610 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:31 am »
I don't agree with you ^

He's a special talent yes, but 150k is a ludicrous amount for a 20 year old, who in reality hasn't achieved anything with us yet.

Gerrard is on what 140-150k a week, Sterling being on the same amount would be a joke. His agent can get to fuck. 

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7611 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:21 am »
Amazing that people would complain about paying the worlds best U21 player the going rate.

Is £150k the going rate?

As there are plenty of currently genuine world class players on that or less.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7612 on: March 16, 2015, 10:56:10 am »
I don't agree with you ^

He's a special talent yes, but 150k is a ludicrous amount for a 20 year old, who in reality hasn't achieved anything with us yet.

Gerrard is on what 140-150k a week, Sterling being on the same amount would be a joke. His agent can get to fuck.

£150k (if it even is that much) doesnt get you what it did 4 years ago.

The money in the game has shot up exponentially, the wages will fall in line with that.

The 'achievements' arguement is a complete straw man as far as I'm concerned, he's 20 of course he's not really 'acheived' anything. He's not had time to.

This contract is to secure those 'acheivments' going forward.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7613 on: March 16, 2015, 10:56:40 am »
See for me it has nothing to do with his age and everything to do with consistency. People will argue that Sterling is a very consistent player (and I'd largely agree) but at the end of the day, and it may be highly controversial, Sterling has yet to achieve a full season of consistently top level performances. His debut season was very impressive for a player of his age but not in the realm of world class all things considered, last season he had 6 months of top class performances, and this year, if I'm honest, I think he has been fairly erratic. I mean he rarely has games where you can say he's been poor but at the same time I think he's maybe only been at a top level for a couple of months this season.

It's distorted somewhat by the fact that he has been our "go-to" player in an attacking sense, but to be honest I'm of the opinion that's more down to deficiencies in other areas of the squad as opposed to the sense that Sterling is our only top class player (in the same way for instance Bale was for Spurs). He's got 6 league goals, playing a huge chunk of the season as a striker, and regardless of his age I'd pretty much expect that (at least) from any player up front for us with the chances we create over a season. That Balotelli, Lambert and Borini aren't anywhere near good enough to be on the pitch for us and don't score goals can sometimes (but shouldn't) cloud that. Yes Sterling has been our "main man", but we should never have been in that position, and moving forward I don't think we will be.

Of the list above, only a handful of players will be on £150k and you're talking (for the most part) about world class players with extensive experience internationally and in European competition and who have many years of genuinely top class performances under their belt - Aguero, Sanchez, Rooney, Fabregas, Silva. None of those players (with the exception maybe of Rooney), despite many of them being precocious talents, would have been on massive money early on in their careers - they had to prove themselves over time to earn that money. Again, the silly money Chelsea and City throw around has muddied the waters here, but we're not in a position to pay the kinds of wages they are.

I think Sterling has world class potential and there is no reason to believe he shouldn't reach that level, but he hasn't yet, and he isn't currently performing like a £150k a week player, so why should he be paid like one? Give him £100k a week, and tell him he can earn the higher contract just like everyone else has to. I don't think we should be paying a £50k/week premium for talent that may or may not be fully realised, certainly not on a 7 year contract.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:00:31 am by holymoly »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7614 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:11 am »
Henderson's about 5 years older and a much more replaceable player than Sterling. A player I think more comparable to Sterling in terms of role in the team and strengths is Hazard. He has 10 goals and 6 assists in the league (16 g+a); Sterling has 13 g+a. If you go through the best goal contributors (goals and assists) in the league, he is up there and he doesn't take free-kicks or penalties.

G+A (age in brackets)
Aguero (26): 24
Costa (26): 20
Sanchez (26): 20
Kane (21): 19
Fabregas (27): 17
Austin (25): 17
Hazard (24): 16
Rooney (29): 15
Giroud (28): 14
Cazorla (30): 14
Sterling (20): 13
Silva (29): 13
Chadli (25): 13
Ings (22): 13
Oscar (23): 13
Downing (30): 13
Sigurdsson (25): 13

It doesn't take a genius or advanced analytics to see where Sterling is headed. Last season, as a 18-19 year old, Sterling put up 13 g+a and was our best player towards the end of the season. Hazard at the same age was struggling to match that and he played in a weaker Ligue 1.

If Sterling wasn't such an outlier, you wouldn't entertain these kinds of figures. But he is. I just hope the club doesn't 'cut its nose off to spite its face', as the saying goes.

It's not really debatable at all. Coutinho was more or less a no-show for much of the first half of the season and is heavily reliant on the players in front of him having the requisite movement. In terms of contribution to the attacking 3rd he lags quite a way behind Sterling (4 goals and 4 assist for the season isn't a very good haul). Even Eriksen has been a more consistent player than Coutinho this season. When on top of his game, Coutinho is a world beater, but he isn't consistent or hasn't been thus far in his Liverpool career.

Erikson has faltered during the last few weeks when Coutinho has kicked into form. A handful of players in this league are consistent for every period of the season, the likes of Fabregas even have periods in a season where there form dips. Coutinho wasn't great at the start of this season but likewise Sterling never started last season on fire and he hasn't been any more consistent or productive than Coutinho this season either(since formation change). Most importantly in the big games you could make the argument that Coutinho has outperformed him more often than not. To say he is more consistent is simply not true, neither is Coutinho really inconsistent at all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:00:54 am by Coolie High »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7615 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:27 am »
I don't agree with you ^

When Sterling is the best player on the planet, 150k would look like loose change. As for the Gerrard thing, it's a different world now. Gerrard in his prime would be on much more, but the reality is, he's in his mid 30s.

We can do two things;

1. Continue to pay modest wages and spend each season struggling for 4th.

2. Start paying the going rate for top players and win things and compete for the league title.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7616 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:03 am »
His age doesn't matter, the best talent gets the highest wages. If we were to sell any of our players Sterling would go for the most and get the highest wage. I don't think we're being cheap though, we're looking to get the best deal for ourselves because we still have the time to do that. There's probably a bunch of other stuff going on behind the scenes as well.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7617 on: March 16, 2015, 10:59:20 am »
Is £150k the going rate?

As there are plenty of currently genuine world class players on that or less.

As was said just a few posts prior, Hazard (probably of a similar level at the time) moved to Chelsea at 21 and was handed £170k, that was 3 years ago

Its very much the going rate.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7618 on: March 16, 2015, 11:00:52 am »

2. Start paying the going rate for top players and win things and compete for the league title.
We pay the right amount of wages compared to our turnover. Going higher isn't healthy for the club.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7619 on: March 16, 2015, 11:02:22 am »
We pay the right amount of wages compared to our turnover. Going higher isn't healthy for the club.
Only because we're not regularly in the Champions League and competing at the top of the league.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7620 on: March 16, 2015, 11:03:26 am »
Only because we're not regularly in the Champions League and competing at the top of the league.
So you want us to overspend on wages to chase Champions League football?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7621 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:41 am »
When Sterling is the best player on the planet, 150k would look like loose change. As for the Gerrard thing, it's a different world now. Gerrard in his prime would be on much more, but the reality is, he's in his mid 30s.

We can do two things;

Sterling best player in the world? Nope can't see that at all.

I agree with you about paying the going rate for top players, but Sterling isn't one yet. He has the potential to be one of the top players, and I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he got 150k when he has shown he is one of the best, but right now he is far off. 100k a week is a very fair deal, more than what Coutinho is on (arguably been as important as Sterling). His agent is being a greedy fuck and trying to squeeze as much money out of us as he can, without being reasonable. 100k a week for a year or two is fair, allows him to keep on developing here and get a pay rise in 1-2 seasons if he continues improving, or he is sold and gets a massive wage from another team. 

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7622 on: March 16, 2015, 11:05:27 am »
Sterling wants wage parity with Sturridge? Tell him to comeback after he has had a 20-goal league campaign

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #7623 on: March 16, 2015, 11:09:20 am »
Coutinho is worth the same in wages as Sterling for me.............
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7624 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:09 am »
Sterling best player in the world? Nope can't see that at all.
Not yet he's not.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #7625 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:05 am »
As was said just a few posts prior, Hazard (probably of a similar level at the time) moved to Chelsea at 21 and was handed £170k, that was 3 years ago

I don't think it's realistic to compare our wage structure to Chelsea's. Perhaps with a few seasons in the CL we can match that.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7626 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:12 am »

One player doesn't make it the going rate.

Rooney is on £300k a week at United, is that the going rate to pay a striker in the PL?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7627 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:33 am »
One thing's for certain - Coutinho should fire his agent

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7628 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:43 am »
I don't think it's realistic to compare our wage structure to Chelsea's. Perhaps with a few seasons in the CL we can match that.
And how are we going to get there without players like Sterling?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7629 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:58 am »

Ah, so you want us to overspend on wages and chase income to hope we can pay for it.

Hello Peter Risdale  :wave :wave

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #7630 on: March 16, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Erikson has faltered during the last few weeks when Coutinho has kicked into form. A handful of players in this league are consistent for every period of the season, the likes of Fabregas even have periods in a season where there form dips. Coutinho wasn't great at the start of this season but likewise Sterling never started last season on fire and he hasn't been any more consistent or productive than Coutinho this season either. Most importantly in the big games you could make the argument that Coutinho has outperformed him more often than not. To say he is more consistent is simply not true, neither is Coutinho really inconsistent at all.

I think it's still safe to say that overall Eriksen has been more consistent this season over Coutinho. His contributions have also been generally game-changing/winning which adds another coat of paint to the argument. What Coutinho has done for the last couple games Eriksen did for most of the first half of the season.

You have to remember that at the start of last season Sterling was 18 and hadn't yet established himself as a first team player. Even Coutinho was more of a senior player, at least because of his age. There were rumours that we were going to loan Sterling out to get experience. But once in the line up he kicked on and fast, and hasn't looked back. Meanwhile, for much of this season's first half Coutinho was having a lot of 'meh' games and he was regularly being subbed off.

Sterling is simply more productive than Coutinho, I don't think it's even really that close. Even the per 90 numbers for goals, assists, key passes, chances created, goals scored, etc Sterling is a way ahead. And I think even terms of defence while Coutinho makes more tackles, Sterling makes more interceptions; and that's because Sterling is one of the few attacking stars that actually doesn't take a minute off on defence. And lest we forget he is about 2.5 years younger than Coutinho.

I'm a big fan of Coutinho; when he is on his game he is usually the best player on the pitch or thereabouts; but there are too many games where his passes are just off. It's one area where his brilliance can turn into wastefulness. If Sterling and Coutinho went for sale tomorrow, Sterling would probably fetch almost twice as much as Coutinho.

LOL, to be honest, this is probably right. 80k is not that high for a player like Coutinho. You have to remember, the EPL pays by far the highest wages. The EPL clubs pay about 56% more than the 2nd richest league - the Bundesliga.

80k is very good, but considering what he means to the team and potential he could have probably pushed it towards 6 figures. Anyway, I'm glad for our sake that was a much quicker negotiation than Sterling's has been  >:(.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:21:01 am by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7631 on: March 16, 2015, 11:15:25 am »
Ah, so you want us to overspend on wages and chase income to hope we can pay for it.

Ah, so you want us to continue to sell our best players and be mediocre?

Hello Mr. Levy  :wave :wave

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #7632 on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:28 am »
And how are we going to get there without players like Sterling?

We can get there with Sterling if he gets his priorities right. I'm sure he can live off 100k for a year or two and when we repeat CL qualification year after year and win trophies he will be rewarded accordingly, just like every other player and employee.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7633 on: March 16, 2015, 11:18:05 am »
Ah, so you want us to continue to sell our best players and be mediocre?

Hello Mr. Levy  :wave :wave

Actually I prefer what we actually are doing, which is offering amazing wages to our best players which are within our budget. We've a team which are CL qualification quality. The last few years (minus the odd blip) has shown that, and when we're bringing in the income of a CL side then our players will reap the rewards of that via their per-negotiated wage bonuses.

You don't spend money you don't have, as when the cards fall the whole deck goes with it.

Risking the club in the chase of added income is a fools game, hello Mr Hicks  :wave :wave

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7634 on: March 16, 2015, 11:18:30 am »

Haha for sure.

Though I suppose that depends on your life outlook. Coutinho got a massive raise and clearly feels valued, and wasn't looking to extort money from a club that had given him the opportunity to become the player he is today. He's clearly very happy here and has no desire to go anywhere else, and frankly he still gets paid a small fortune regardless of whether or not City or Real would pay him £x, £y or £z more than we would.

Sterling is entitled to ask for whatever he likes, and if you don't ask you don't get, but if he refuses to sign a contract below £150k a week then he obviously either doesn't want to be here that much or is motivated by money more than he is football.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7635 on: March 16, 2015, 11:19:06 am »

This is ridiculously over dramatic - we've had players at the club at over 100k a week for years 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7636 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:06 am »
This is ridiculously over dramatic - we've had players at the club at over 100k a week for years

Have you read the entire conversation I was replying to? As it certainly wasn't about just giving Sterling £100k a week.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7637 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:44 am »

Stand a much better chance of getting those seasons with a player of Sterling's calibre in our team than without him.

We have it well within our capablities to pay outstanding talent's the money they'd get elsewhere, Sterling is one such example of a player worth making the exception to our general approach.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7638 on: March 16, 2015, 11:22:08 am »
One player doesn't make it the going rate.

Rooney is on £300k a week at United, is that the going rate to pay a striker in the PL?

The going rate for who might turn out to be the Premier League's all time top scorer? It probably is, yeah.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7639 on: March 16, 2015, 11:23:08 am »
Stand a much better chance of getting those seasons with a player of Sterling's calibre in our team than without him.

We have it well within our capablities to pay outstanding talent's the money they'd get elsewhere, Sterling is one such example of a player worth making the exception to our general approach.

The issue is you cannot just do it for one player and not expect others in the squad to follow suit. The only exception is when that one player is a universally recognised world class talent - i.e. Gerrard of the past and Suarez in recent seasons.

It's the others following suit that we cannot afford, the numbers are there to see and back this up.