Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1823182 times)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #8280 on: March 26, 2015, 11:31:43 am »
Corriere dello sport reporting that Pjanic is ready to move to LFC in the summer.

Not sure how reliable that rag is but if true it would certainly add some quality into midfield.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8281 on: March 26, 2015, 11:32:59 am »
Corriere dello sport reporting that Pjanic is ready to move to LFC in the summer.

Not sure how reliable that rag is but if true it would certainly add some quality into midfield.

Offline Steak Bake

• Half baked
  • Main Stander
  • In Brendan We Trust
« Reply #8282 on: March 26, 2015, 12:10:43 pm »
Pjanic is a no.10 isn't he?  We need better deep laying midfielders.  Allen and Henderson are not CL quality.

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #8283 on: March 26, 2015, 12:14:32 pm »

Not true. Corriere say LFC are interested but also say
i. Not known if Roma want to sell
ii. Not known if Pjanic would consider LFC
iii. PSG and Barca also interested

There is no agreement.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8284 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »

Yup now we just need the 8 clubs who can pay him higher wages than us to not be interested ......

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8285 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:02 pm »
Not true. Corriere say LFC are interested but also say
i. Not known if Roma want to sell
ii. Not known if Pjanic would consider LFC
iii. PSG and Barca also interested

There is no agreement.

Barca are banned from transfers and PSG are getting bummed by FFP
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8286 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:13 pm »
Would have thought PSG would be as desperate for Pogba as everyone else as well.

Offline Steak Bake

• Half baked
  • Main Stander
  • In Brendan We Trust
« Reply #8287 on: March 26, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »
Would have thought PSG would be as desperate for Pogba as everyone else as well.
Man U or City will get Pogba.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8288 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:34 pm »
:lmao Steak Bake haha what a name. Sorry.

Offline Steak Bake

• Half baked
  • Main Stander
  • In Brendan We Trust
« Reply #8289 on: March 26, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »
:lmao Steak Bake haha what a name. Sorry.

It's ok glad you like it  :D

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8290 on: March 26, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »
Question for those who watch our Reserves - do we have anyone there who is likely to compete for a CM role?

Rossiter got a game earlier this season, but hasn't taken part since, at least not that I recall. What's happened? For a young player like him, it's important that we find ways to give him games so he can develop. If he's close to the squad, we can't stack up too many options in front of him. So what's the status?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Steak Bake

• Half baked
  • Main Stander
  • In Brendan We Trust
« Reply #8291 on: March 26, 2015, 01:51:18 pm »
None of our reserves are ready.  We simply need to sign better and more expensive midfielders to progress as a team and club.

We buy too many players rather than just throwing lots of money at one or two actual quality ones.  Moneyball is probably why.

Offline Kelwell

• Main Stander
  • We are the famous, the famous Kopites
« Reply #8292 on: March 26, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »
Question for those who watch our Reserves - do we have anyone there who is likely to compete for a CM role?

Rossiter got a game earlier this season, but hasn't taken part since, at least not that I recall. What's happened? For a young player like him, it's important that we find ways to give him games so he can develop. If he's close to the squad, we can't stack up too many options in front of him. So what's the status?

Broke his ankle

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8293 on: March 26, 2015, 02:25:14 pm »
Broke his ankle

Ah! That's unfortunate.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8294 on: March 26, 2015, 02:44:36 pm »
None of our reserves are ready.  We simply need to sign better and more expensive midfielders to progress as a team and club.

We buy too many players rather than just throwing lots of money at one or two actual quality ones.  Moneyball is probably why.

I don't expect anyone to be ready to be a first team regular. Yet. That goes for a player like Ibe too. But if we have players of that quality (Ibe's), then we need to give him games. As a consequence, we may not have to, or we need to be careful adding another player for that position. CM is an area we can/need to improve in and we may have to add a player or two. The number would depend on how we see for example Rossiter.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8295 on: March 26, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »
Dennis Irwin just said that it's 'obvious' Herrera would instantly be the best midfielder in our squad. :D

Anyone hear it? It was insane.

Said that Allen's a tactically aware, tidy passer while Henderson's got energy and some developing attacking prowess - but that Herrera brings all of that, and 'much' more, in one player rather than two.

Said that Can is the only player in our midfield who seems 'interesting' to him, but even then he's all potential at the moment...to be fair though, he did really praise Can's physical potential. Even threw out a Ballack comparison.

Not far off the truth.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8296 on: March 26, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »
We'll piss about with the transfer fee and he'll go to Chelsea.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8297 on: March 26, 2015, 04:06:23 pm »
Dennis Irwin just said that it's 'obvious' Herrera would instantly be the best midfielder in our squad. :D

Anyone hear it? It was insane.

Said that Allen's a tactically aware, tidy passer while Henderson's got energy and some developing attacking prowess - but that Herrera brings all of that, and 'much' more, in one player rather than two.

Said that Can is the only player in our midfield who seems 'interesting' to him, but even then he's all potential at the moment...to be fair though, he did really praise Can's physical potential. Even threw out a Ballack comparison.

As people have said, he's right. He's a better player than Henderson and Allen. He's more in the Allen mould with some of the goals/assists people are always demanding from him; I wouldn't say he possesses the energy and athleticism of Henderson, though he is technically far superior. I called Herrera average and shit at the start of the season, and I regrettably have to admit I was wrong. Now, I'm not a massive fan of the guy or anything, but he is better than any of our current midfielders. He's not a £30m player, mind.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8298 on: March 26, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »
We're also being linked with Kovacic and the reports say he is our priority. If the links to those two players are true, is it really a position we should be targeting? We've got Coutinho as a playmaker who doesn't score much already.

It would be a strange move imo. Personally think our midfield needs a defensive minded partner for Henderson, plus someone who can add goals

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8299 on: March 26, 2015, 05:02:21 pm »
We're also being linked with Kovacic and the reports say he is our priority. If the links to those two players are true, is it really a position we should be targeting? We've got Coutinho as a playmaker who doesn't score much already.

It would be a strange move imo. Personally think our midfield needs a defensive minded partner for Henderson, plus someone who can add goals

Disagree. I think our midfield needs an injection of creative passing or the ability to control and dictate games, especially when being pressed. We have a defensive midfielder in Lucas, we have Can who should benefit from his time playing in central defence and Allen does a decent shielding job.

What we don't have is someone who is great on the ball under pressure and really control games for us. Perfect combination would be someone like that and Lucas in a midfield 2. That way Coutinho and the attackers can push up higher.

Online Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8300 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:32 pm »

He would be a significant upgrade on Henderson.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8301 on: March 26, 2015, 05:18:58 pm »
Pjanic.. Would much rather Kovacic personally, actually I'll take both.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8302 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »
He would be a significant upgrade on Henderson.

I think Henderson's a bit of a problem. He's going to be our captain and shoe in to the team, but he's very difficult to build a midfield around I think. He doesn't control the game, he scores but not at a huge level, and he's not really capable of being the DM as his main strength is off the ball runs.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8303 on: March 26, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »

Don't know what Kovacic is like but we need a player who can run with the ball from deeper midfield positions. Like Can has done on occasions.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8304 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55:11 pm »
Not sure we need another attacking midfielder who barely scores any goals, and I apply that to both Kovacic and Pjanic.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8305 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:16 pm »
Not sure we need another attacking midfielder who barely scores any goals, and I apply that to both Kovacic and Pjanic.

How many CMs genuinely score lots of goals? Serious question, Henderson has 6 this year without taking penalties or (most) free kicks. Gerrard/Lampard were world class players, it's impossible to find players who score to that level.

According to Whoscored Pjanic has played CM every game this year, and Kovacic (who also spent most of his time CM) having 5 goals in 20 starts is pretty impressive for a 20 year old
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8306 on: March 26, 2015, 06:03:05 pm »
How many CMs genuinely score lots of goals? Serious question, Henderson has 6 this year without taking penalties or (most) free kicks. Gerrard/Lampard were world class players, it's impossible to find players who score to that level

Kovacic and to a lesser extent Pjanic are attacking midfielders more than they are central midfielders though are they not? I'm not sure either would be able to play consistently in a two man midfield so they'd be playing in the positions Coutinho and Lallana currently occupy. Pjanic would probably be a better there out of the two.

Edit: I stand corrected Pjanic plays at CM more often than I thought, though from a quick look he seems to play alongside two relatively defensively minded players in a three. Similar to how Coutinho played for us last season.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:07:26 pm by holymoly »

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8307 on: March 26, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »
Kovacic and to a lesser extent Pjanic are attacking midfielders more than they are central midfielders though are they not? I'm not sure either would be able to play consistently in a two man midfield so they'd be playing in the positions Coutinho and Lallana currently occupy. Pjanic would probably be a better there out of the two.

Guess it depends what system we play next year, but Whoscored has both of them spending most of their time in CM rather than AMC. Pjanic seems to make much more sense all round, especially replacing Gerrard's set pieces

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8308 on: March 26, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »
Khedira will also be available this summer, could be a neat fit.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8309 on: March 26, 2015, 06:33:07 pm »
Guess it depends what system we play next year, but Whoscored has both of them spending most of their time in CM rather than AMC. Pjanic seems to make much more sense all round, especially replacing Gerrard's set pieces

I do think a lot depends on system. On the face of it a midfield 3 of Lucas, Pjanic and Coutinho would look extremely good going forward, if a little lacking in defensive support. But we've no real idea if we're planning on going back to the 433 that saw us let in a shitload of goals. Or if Lucas will even be here next year.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #8310 on: March 26, 2015, 06:50:16 pm »

You are describing an upgrade on Henderson, not a complimentary player.

Kovacic smells like a moneyball signing. Young, but hasn't been playing. Team is strapped for cash and out of Europe altogether. We have done deals with them in the past.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8311 on: March 26, 2015, 06:55:44 pm »

Kovacic smells like a moneyball signing. Young, but hasn't been playing. Team is strapped for cash and out of Europe altogether. We have done deals with them in the past.

The cheapest price I've seen mentioned is £22m, dunno if you can consider it moneyball.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8312 on: March 26, 2015, 06:56:45 pm »

Not completely true. He's played 34 games with 8 goals and 2 assists. So he's been involved, however yes 'only' 20 starts in the league and 5 times subbed in.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8313 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:25 pm »
anyone who thought Ander Herrera wasn't a good player clearly hadn't watched Athletic Bilbao in the 5 years previous, i would imagine he will get a Spain call up sooner or later..
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #8314 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:59 pm »
anyone who thought Ander Herrera wasn't a good player clearly hadn't watched Athletic Bilbao in the 5 years previous,
LIKE I DID COS I WATCH ALL THE FOOTBALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8315 on: March 26, 2015, 07:19:07 pm »
just one of many young players to prosper under bielsa, don't have to be a helmet about it.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #8316 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
Don't know what Kovacic is like but we need a player who can run with the ball from deeper midfield positions. Like Can has done on occasions.

He can certainly run and pass the ball from deep. In his best moments, he can play long Kaka-esque through-balls on the deck. Like most young players, he is inconsistent right now, but he may become a top class center mid. I think a midfield of Lucas/Allen-Can-Kovacic or Can-Kovacic-Coutinho on form would light up most teams in the PL. I agree with others that he is an upgrade on Henderson, assuming he continues to develop and finds consistency with age. He would be a very good understudy to Henderson and Can next season, if we could actually manage to get him.

Offline C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8317 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:09 pm »
Felipe Anderson from Lazio,  Thauvin at Marseille, Dani Parejo at Valencia.. would all improve us greatly but only possible if we salvage top four i'd imagine.

Teixiera could prove to be like a new signing for us when returns, Luis Alberto i'm not so sure about.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8318 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:18 pm »
Felipe Anderson from Lazio,  Thauvin at Marseille, Dani Parejo at Valencia.. would all improve us greatly but only possible if we salvage top four i'd imagine.

Teixiera could prove to be like a new signing for us when returns, Luis Alberto i'm not so sure about.

I'm not sure Alberto is going to make it here either. Texeira might actually imrove on what he's done for Brighton in a better division, though (not that I have hard evidence but I think he's the sort who may be better suited by the Prem than the Championship).

Online Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8319 on: March 26, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »
I think Henderson's a bit of a problem. He's going to be our captain and shoe in to the team, but he's very difficult to build a midfield around I think. He doesn't control the game, he scores but not at a huge level, and he's not really capable of being the DM as his main strength is off the ball runs.

He's a water carrier and at times utility player. In no way should we consider him irreplaceable and, as you said, the whole captain thing is worrying, not simply because of his mentality but also his quality. If he's the captain and one of our highest earners, we're assuming he'll be first name on the teamsheet, and the rest of the midfield will have to compliment him. He's not good enough to be granted that level of importance.