Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 57941 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #400 on: August 2, 2019, 09:29:05 pm »
You can't play chess in a bad mood. You've got to have your game on, or your sense of self deprecation turned onto max.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: August 5, 2019, 12:45:57 am »
Just played the worst game of chess ever. Destroyed him. 1. e3 he played. You've GOT to have some tricks up your sleeve with 1. e3 mother fucker. Played Qf3 too (edit: 2nd move). Jesus.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2019, 12:50:49 am by Filler. »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #402 on: August 5, 2019, 08:55:44 am »
Just played the worst game of chess ever. Destroyed him. 1. e3 he played. You've GOT to have some tricks up your sleeve with 1. e3 mother fucker. Played Qf3 too (edit: 2nd move). Jesus.

Who are these opponents? I need my chance with them too  :D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #403 on: August 5, 2019, 09:00:18 am »
You can't play chess in a bad mood. You've got to have your game on, or your sense of self deprecation turned onto max.

That's true. If you're tired or not in the mood for it, it's not really a good thing to play chess. You make a few ordinary moves, it goes pear shaped and then the mood goes worse  :)

I've also felt that if I try some tactics or puzzles after a long day, I never get the solution in the first attempt. I make a wrong move, lose my rating points in tactics & then solve it in the next attempt. But whenever I've tried doing tactics when I've been fresh & not tired, I've solved them with ease in my first attempt.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 7, 2019, 01:31:31 am »
Who are these opponents? I need my chance with them too  :D

Often Russians on chesshotel.com. I play as SunRa more often than not playing 2+1 nearly always. 1. e3 winds me up tho. I get a 51/49 win ratio so absolutely huge but like to think my ratio ramps up a bit after an e3. Fuck me. Imagine playing the fucker.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: August 7, 2019, 01:36:16 am »
That's true. If you're tired or not in the mood for it, it's not really a good thing to play chess. You make a few ordinary moves, it goes pear shaped and then the mood goes worse  :)

I've also felt that if I try some tactics or puzzles after a long day, I never get the solution in the first attempt. I make a wrong move, lose my rating points in tactics & then solve it in the next attempt. But whenever I've tried doing tactics when I've been fresh & not tired, I've solved them with ease in my first attempt.

My tactics go out the window very early. Or maybe I need to allow them to fly out the window earlier?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: August 29, 2019, 10:50:07 pm »
Hoping this works:

Magnus Carlsen (white) getting beat by Ding Liren (black)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V5bVwgQfKEA?start=8001" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V5bVwgQfKEA?start=8001</a>

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/grand-chess-tour-sinquefield-cup-2019/15/1/1

edit: It does. Haven't really been following this... just bits, but I know and watched a bit of a game where Carlsen needed a win the other day to get into a tiebreak? Think Ding wins the whole thing and this is the crowning moment (I think!). It's 5 min +2? blitz... but 5 mins is like an age to me ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:03:15 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2019, 11:18:15 pm »
Have only just watched this... the Knight move at the end!  8)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2019, 11:39:09 pm »
Am going to have to go thru that Ba8 move tomorrow, but that's the move that caught me. The fuck? Sacking the Knight? So difficult for me watching chess at 45 degrees, but I imagine Q goes infront and threatens shit. Have been learning the joys of slinging back bishops to the back rank with a queen on board in blitz recently, but man alive... these fellas are in another orbit. Have always seen Ding Liren as the Nigel Bond of chess but have seen another side to him there tonight. Quite brilliant.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 30, 2019, 12:23:51 am »
Have had a look now and suddenly Ba8 looks nearly obvious. Still a great thing to find. In football... he's taken out 4 defenders with a perfectly weighted 'never going to play that ball' pass.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: September 8, 2019, 12:46:47 am »
Been playing a few games of Chess960 today. Think I played this stoned when younger once but was never interested in it till the female presenter on American St Louis chess TV? the other day said they play it often and study it for a day. I loved that idea. Am very sexually attracted to her so this possibly helped to grease me up for a go at it - but I can definitely see why you'd want to examine it. It's fucken ace. I won 4/5 today. The middle game is just fantastic.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: September 13, 2019, 11:13:29 pm »
Been playing a few games of Chess960 today. Think I played this stoned when younger once but was never interested in it till the female presenter on American St Louis chess TV? the other day said they play it often and study it for a day. I loved that idea. Am very sexually attracted to her so this possibly helped to grease me up for a go at it - but I can definitely see why you'd want to examine it. It's fucken ace. I won 4/5 today. The middle game is just fantastic.

Still addicted to this thing. I wake up and even before a cup of tea is brewed i'll ask someone out. Am shit in the morning obvs. There's no way (seemingly?) to drop your positions into an engine either because engines aren't programmed for it which is a great shame!. Big bonus tactic (again), is dropping a bishop back onto the back rank... the rest is working it out round that.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: September 15, 2019, 09:24:11 pm »
Another tactic I'm starting to get some joy from is an early sacrifice. Sometimes those bishops are starting from that a1 h8 diagonal etc... or just aiming straight at the king. They look powerful... but... if they're aiming for a rook and you can take the bishop straight after? No problem. Getting queens out early also a thing for me.

All those ideas of patterns we like and shapes we're after are literally out of the window. Love it for that.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #413 on: September 16, 2019, 04:36:23 pm »
Another tactic I'm starting to get some joy from is an early sacrifice. Sometimes those bishops are starting from that a1 h8 diagonal etc... or just aiming straight at the king. They look powerful... but... if they're aiming for a rook and you can take the bishop straight after? No problem. Getting queens out early also a thing for me.

All those ideas of patterns we like and shapes we're after are literally out of the window. Love it for that.

There was a time when I became fond of delaying castling, in order to see the pattern of play before committing. My regular playing partners of course followed suit, so our games descended into a dance of pieces seeing who would castle or commit a pawn advance first, with a series of piece developing moves actually gaining time because the opponent wasted one more move in getting the position they wanted. Overall, it wasn't very educational as far as improving my chess went.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:41 pm »
There was a time when I became fond of delaying castling, in order to see the pattern of play before committing. My regular playing partners of course followed suit, so our games descended into a dance of pieces seeing who would castle or commit a pawn advance first, with a series of piece developing moves actually gaining time because the opponent wasted one more move in getting the position they wanted. Overall, it wasn't very educational as far as improving my chess went.

I've been playing chess960 so often these days that i've almost forgot how and when to castle. With castling, I tend to struggle against players who start with a fianchettoed bishop from the off and a castle soon after... really hate those fucking players. The d6 thing does it. Or e6.. a 6 anyway. Ruins my early h4.

Otherwise my general tactic is try and castle early, but if not, don't worry. Am usually one step away from it (in the -).

Still haven't quite worked out to castle in chess960 tho.. don't quite know where each piece ends up but always offers up some entertainment.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2019, 09:32:35 pm »
Hi my name is Robert and I'm a Chess960ic.

My win percentage in bullet chess is 51/49. Literally. Did that once - let's see how I do out of 100 games. In chess960 it's 5/1. Early days, but think I've found something I'm more suited to.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2019, 09:34:52 pm »
I don't count the MANY games that click on an ask and then realise wtf?! and resign immediately either. I was that person till recently... if only I could call out to them and say no... stay!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: September 22, 2019, 09:50:28 pm »
Presumably, in Fischers Random chess, you can start in the proper position once in 960 goes. Do you throw up a rook pawn and play Rh3, Rg3 soon after nonetheless ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: October 12, 2019, 11:02:49 pm »
So the chess960 world championships have been going on recently and now down to the showpiece week where 4 players play it out at the end of the month. A new thread beckons surely!  :D

https://www.frchess.com/

This is surprisingly the first ever Fischer Random Chess World Title bid. I play more chess than follow what goes on. Four players left in... Carlsen, So, Caruana and Nepomniachtchi. Utterly intriguing. Hopefully we'll be able to view it freely but haven't got there yet. Frankly, following chess isn't as much fun as playing it tho but as ever, I'll chant 'free-to-air' chess all day.

I have done some research tho recently. Seems to divide the chess community... has its ridiculous flag wavers saying 'this is the future' etc, which is understandable in a way but kind of nonsensical too - but also sparks a bit of fume from the purists. I've also seen a comment that suggests chess960 would never attract amateurs because of its difficulties or somesuch. I'm a fan of Trout Mask Replica sunshine! It's just a wonderful sidearm to this great game and I have fallen for it totally.

I did see a game where Carlsen was mated in 7 moves.. what's not to like about a game that can do that?

edit: should also say I seem to be better at this version than the old, decrepit version of chess.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 12:37:16 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: October 19, 2019, 01:09:52 am »
playing chess960 is literally the closest I'll ever get to playing free form jazz or punk or something. Loving this shit. Only a few days to go...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: October 19, 2019, 01:15:33 am »
One of the hugely regrettable situations I have tho, is that the website I play chess on hasn't worked out the castling moves properly in chess960. They are wrong. This is why castling has become a random option and throws open hugely interesting fluxes of change advantage wise. BUT! Would like some bloody clarity occasionally!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: October 19, 2019, 02:39:26 am »
Building a great spotify chess 960 playlist:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9mUCIV86gUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9mUCIV86gUU</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: October 28, 2019, 10:01:16 pm »
www.chess.com/tv ... free to air broadcast.
https://www.frchess.com/

My first chance to watch it tonight and very enjoyable. Good commentary team too. Pleased that the organisers made sure Wednesday is a rest day, but tomorrow night is the one I'm looking forward to. Carlsen v Caruana has some intruige left, but So is going thru to the finals as he's got the better of his opponent in this form of the game. He plays it alot apparently so I'm rooting for him.

Caruana needs to win rapid AND blitz to have a chance... and So just needs to turn up in his slippers. Will make for some excellent TV viewing tomorrow night.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2019, 07:40:07 pm »
www.chess.com/tv ... free to air broadcast.

If Carlsen wins the next game he's in the final. He lost the previous one. 15 mins for each platyer to make all their moves. Just kicked off and a must watch.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2019, 10:46:33 pm »
Great win by Carlsen in the end... just proved he was just automatically beyond everyone else. Great interview with Carlsen afterwards waxing about chess960. A hugely important moment. A cracking final set up. So vs Carlsen.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: November 1, 2019, 06:24:44 pm »
Well if you're following this, as dozens of you are, Carlsen and So are battling it out for the title and blow me, Carlsen is down 7.5 to 1.5 to Wesley So - Carlsen having just lost 2 games in a row which is unheard of. There's now a short break in play before it resumes in 10/15 mins?

chess.com/tv

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #426 on: November 1, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »
Those guys are slightly annoying. I want Gustafsson and Svidler... :D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: November 3, 2019, 10:32:34 am »
Wesley So, Wesley So, Wesley So,
He's the best* random chess player we all know-oh
Wesley So, Wesley So, Wesley So
Wesley So, WESLEY So.

* second best

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: November 3, 2019, 12:05:48 pm »
Missed yesterday's play but for Wesley So to beat Carlsen 13.5 to 2.5 is absolutely staggering. So happy for So. And so happy for chess. Will do it the world of good.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: November 4, 2019, 01:46:30 pm »
Missed yesterday's play but for Wesley So to beat Carlsen 13.5 to 2.5 is absolutely staggering. So happy for So. And so happy for chess. Will do it the world of good.

Not everyone tho. Earlier:

go to be fucked son of bitch what kind of chess do you play ? Better you go play with dolls idiot
haha!
head of cock game of child
play regular chess handicap man
antony.. calm down love.. it's only a game!
but what a game I must play this kind of game no chess I want play only a chess
do you know where the resign button is?
okay you win but I don't like this game
then resign, fuck off and play one!
no resign you win
bye

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2019, 07:41:49 pm »
Had a fuck you x7 the other day. Don't understand why you'd hurl abuse at people anonymously. I don't get that state of mind. Surely we're just playing a game no?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #431 on: November 11, 2019, 09:42:07 am »
Had a fuck you x7 the other day. Don't understand why you'd hurl abuse at people anonymously. I don't get that state of mind. Surely we're just playing a game no?

Yeah some people can be knobs.

That's why I like RedHotPawn - the people on there are pretty nice and chilled.

You get congratulations messages when you win (And I post them when I lose) - sometimes losing well in an interesting game is as good as winning.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: November 16, 2019, 12:45:44 am »
Yeah some people can be knobs.

That's why I like RedHotPawn - the people on there are pretty nice and chilled.

You get congratulations messages when you win (And I post them when I lose) - sometimes losing well in an interesting game is as good as winning.

The pawn:porn thing is great. It's an almost endless avenue to explore.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: November 16, 2019, 12:53:36 am »
Karjakin's recent blitz win still has me in awe. Was like a symphony. Will try and find it...

edit: Not up. Another time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:56:36 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: November 16, 2019, 01:13:33 am »
https://twitter.com/olimpiuurcan/status/1193693692768374784

This is the nearest. Watch this with the sound off and with whatever music you are currently listening to and it will work.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: November 22, 2019, 12:47:41 am »
You know when your opponent completely blunders and you miss it completely because it totally takes you by surprise and you forget your position and then he takes your queen and you're supposed to resign and get on with the next and then you have a think and fight back and he reduces into a shell for an age before finally getting release thru the resign button... that.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: November 22, 2019, 01:05:51 am »
'Paul Morphy' resigned after 3 moves. Come on Paul, you can do better than that.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: November 22, 2019, 10:56:53 am »
You know when your opponent completely blunders and you miss it completely because it totally takes you by surprise and you forget your position and then he takes your queen and you're supposed to resign and get on with the next and then you have a think and fight back and he reduces into a shell for an age before finally getting release thru the resign button... that.

Pity you're not a streamer. That would have been gold.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2019, 09:37:44 am »
Pity you're not a streamer. That would have been gold.

Ha! ;D My 9 year old son would be SO proud if I was. I could fill a niche tho maybe... blitz chess while listening to heavy music. Hmn... maybe not.

The pro's are at it today in the Tata Steel Rapid... apparently leading to a final I think in London sometime. Peter Svidler on comms.. 9 rounds to play today

https://grandchesstour.org/2019-grand-chess-tour/2019-tata-steel-chess-india-rapid-blitz-live

edit: And it's LIVE!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/raS8CQ9KOM0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/raS8CQ9KOM0</a>

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:50:11 am by Filler. »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: December 16, 2019, 03:09:24 pm »
Magnus Carlsen currently (and proudly) top of the Official Premier League Fantasy Football League rankings. He'll probably be displaced tonight by Nick Tanner though (yeah, that Nick Tanner).
Vidocq, 20 January 2011