Author Topic: Daniel Agger  (Read 399395 times)

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Daniel Agger
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »
He needs to take a look at his mate Skrtel. Looked finished at the club, barely featured in the second half of last season, told he could leave etc, but was pitched in against the Mancs when Brendan needed him, gave a magnificent performance and since then has remained in the team.

Agger will get his chance eventually, it will be up to him to take it.

Offline KP

• Nuts
  • Main Stander
« Reply #241 on: October 28, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »
If we are going to stick with 3 center backs then we need at least 5 top class ones do we not? Doesn't at all follow that we should sell Agger just because he isnt in the starting line up at the moment. Incredible to think that really.

I don't think 3-4-1-2 was the plan all summer, well actually it definitely wasn't as we tried signing Costa, Mkhitaryan and Willian. There'd be no room for them with Coutinho at #10 and SAS upfront in that formation. (Unless you believe the club lied about wanting these players but that's for another topic.)

So we just signed Sakho instead, a top defender and went to the current formation. It was certainly in Rodgers' mind, Carra said so on MNF. And he used it Everton home second half and Fulham away first half at the end of last season for further proof.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:14 pm »
Is right, mate. It's not like it happened by chance; "oh look we have a lot of CB's right now, let's try this." Agger is a top top defender with the heart in the right place. He loves LFC, the fans and the city. Imagine that the biggest concern after 9 league games played would be a big player not getting much minutes in the first gmes after an injury.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:46 pm »
He needs to take a look at his mate Skrtel. Looked finished at the club, barely featured in the second half of last season, told he could leave etc, but was pitched in against the Mancs when Brendan needed him, gave a magnificent performance and since then has remained in the team.

Agger will get his chance eventually, it will be up to him to take it.

Well said. Nothing to add here really. If he grabs his chance he'll play. Simple as that.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2013, 11:44:36 pm »
Agger can clear it randomly if needed too ....

That clearance with the outside of the boot that set up Keane's wonder goal at the Emirates a few years back?

I have a feeling that Agger will be back in against Arsenal. Quality will out.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline LoubySoho

• Main Stander
« Reply #245 on: October 29, 2013, 12:03:31 am »
I don't think he will be because if you read the article BR thinks that Skrtel has been outstanding of course if you believe the papers.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2013, 12:06:17 am »
Neither Toure nor Sakho look like they will be dropped although Sakho was partially at fault for the 2nd goal against NewCastle.  He came roaring back against WBA though with a very good performance.  So Agger has to displace Skrtel and on present form, Skrtel does not deserve to be dropped.   We'll see what happens at the Emirates though - that's going to be a big test for our defense.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2013, 12:08:58 am »
Due respect, but if that was the case wouldn't they struggle against every agricultural defence they come up against? Ultimately, who is going to frustrate more if the balls are lumped away, Arsenal reset and simply attack again?

"Sometimes..."

"if the team you are facing also has players who can drive forward and attack with precision..."

:D

Look at Arsenal's record against Fulham under Hodgson, WBA under him, Everton, Stoke and Bolton under Allardyce. Close games for the most part, either draws or won by the odd goal, most of the time. To make that work, as I said, you have to also be able to attack with precision. To go a step above mere agricultural defending, look at how they did against Mourinho's Chelsea - draws and losses for the most part. So it's definitely situational, but there's nothing worse for a possession team to have all of the ball and none of the chances. Just think back to us against WBA last season.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:03 am »
I'd start him against Arsenal simply because out of all our defenders, he's the best with the ball at his feet. Best passer of the ball as well. We don't need three centre halves this time, Arsenal aren't as much of a threat on set plays like Stoke are, or even WBA who we just beat. Keeping possession will be the name of the game.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: October 29, 2013, 12:55:28 am »
Brendan doesn't seem to like changing a winning team, and Skrtel has done nothing to warrant getting dropped after his performance against WBA. If Rodgers was looking to drop him, he probably would have done it after the Newcastle game, when he made a proper mess of defending their second goal. I think how we set up against WBA will suit us fine for Arsenal. Maybe we could drop a centre half if we're chasing the game and bring on Coutinho.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2013, 01:20:29 am »
So he should be happy not playing? You're consistently looking at these misquotes the way you want to, and your perception of it is totally skewed.
Sadly it is you that has your perception skewed.

Make a flippant post, get a flippant responce - Its not difficult to see what was going on there.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2013, 01:58:52 am »
Agger isnt out of the team because he was playing poorly, he wasnt. He's out of the team (and Skrtel in it) because he got injured. That's why Skrtel came in, Agger wasnt dropped. Not for footballing reasons, not for systemic reasons.
And fair play to Skrtel for taking his chance. Its not a bad thing that players when given a chance, grab it with both hands.

What do you do if Skrtel gets injured and Agger replaces him and plays poorly, keep Skrtel out because you think Agger is a better football player?........ or do you do whats best for the team and not whats best for the individual.

Skrtel remains in the team because Rodgers doesnt like to change something that's working. My point is whether its working quite as well as it could be.

The system in place is tailor made to get the best out of Agger, it would enable him to do all the good footballing stuff we like to see from him step forward with the ball, all that jazz. It also means that he's got two lads besides him who can help with the stuff he perhaps doesnt find as comfortable, like defending set peices and the like.

What is Skrtel bringing to that role that sets him apart? Becuase that's what Agger can (potentially) do.

The crux of everything - Skrtel is working, can Agger improve that? who'd best placed to decide on that? There is only one person who can, and if he thinks that he can or he can't, then so be it

I'll say it again, this 'predicament' we have with Skrtel and Agger, is to be embraced, not questioned. I want this 'predicament' with every single position in the team. Its what makes a winning team.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2013, 02:14:52 am »
Rodgers has been consistent in that he wants healthy competition in the squad, me might find out if Danny is a Skrtel or a Reina.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #253 on: October 29, 2013, 02:44:51 am »
We have conceded three in the last two games though - we may be winning, but perhaps Brendan would take the view that the attackers are doing their jobs whilst the defenders aren't. Can see the reasoning behind it if he does make a change before Arsenal.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:31 am »
But won't the fact that Agger is more adept at intercepting the ball (due in large part to the fact that he's a far better defender and footballer than Skrtel) benefit us against teams who rely heavily on short passes in the final third and players running off Girouds little flicks around the corner?
Probably not because Agger is a bit slower and less agile. Also this season Aggers interceptions total a mighty 3 at an average of 0.6 while Skrtel has 15 at an average of 2.1...so not sure if serious. I don't think Rodgers particularly wants the central defender to step up and bring the ball out anyway. That said Arsenal are playing some brilliant stuff, not sure Skrtel and the defense will cope.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #255 on: October 29, 2013, 03:27:25 am »
We have conceded three in the last two games though - we may be winning, but perhaps Brendan would take the view that the attackers are doing their jobs whilst the defenders aren't. Can see the reasoning behind it if he does make a change before Arsenal.

But we haven't kept a clean sheet for quite a while, and Toure, Skrtel and Sakho have all continuously played. We conceded 2 poor goals against Newcastle as well. What I'm saying is that someone is going to have to really make a hash of a game to be dropped, which doesn't look like happening.

Personally, I thought Skrtel looked a bit shaky on Saturday. He could have had 2 penalties decisions go against him, and if that would have happened we'd be sat here saying Agger needs to come back in anyway.

I don't think Rodgers is going to change a winning side for Arsenal. Even Coutinho probably won't get back in immediately.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:32:31 am by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #256 on: October 29, 2013, 03:43:48 am »
I'm trusting one man to make the decision, and that man is Brendan Rodgers. We can assume whatever we want in the internet forum, but it's the manager who sees the players every day in training.

Offline jp2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #257 on: October 29, 2013, 04:41:40 am »
The whole blip here is bizarre.

He rolled into the season on a high - tempted over the summer by other clubs where LFC had to publicly protect him, knuckle tats, named vice-captain, good run of health for an extended period of time, playing well, winning games. On top of it, via paper he fits into Rogers system well - patient, excellent with the ball at his feet etc.

And with all that momentum, albeit slowed by a minor injury, people here are washing their hands of him. Just doesn't add up.
We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #258 on: October 29, 2013, 05:44:34 am »
We changed the team to bring Cissoko and Johnson in. It didnt have an adverse effect there, because they're better players than the ones they replaced.

Should be the same with Agger and Skrtel.

Agger has his foibles, but in terms of that sweeper role in a back 3 he's so much more suited to it than Skrtel that it's not even a competition. Agger should be in there no questions asked because he's the only CB we have who can maximise the role and step out of defence to a decent degree.

Skrtel shouldnt be playing that role over Agger, not at all. If he's playing too well to be dropped, as in your opinion seems to be the case, then Agger should still come in but Skrtel should push out Toure or Sakho.

Thought about applying for Rodgers' role yet?

Since you seem to know a lot better than him. You and a few others. A career in management waits you at Liverpool.
Phuk yoo

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #259 on: October 29, 2013, 06:17:41 am »
Probably not because Agger is a bit slower and less agile. Also this season Aggers interceptions total a mighty 3 at an average of 0.6 while Skrtel has 15 at an average of 2.1...so not sure if serious. I don't think Rodgers particularly wants the central defender to step up and bring the ball out anyway. That said Arsenal are playing some brilliant stuff, not sure Skrtel and the defense will cope.

Sample size of 4 and 7 game total for the season or the 5 and 8 years they've spent at the club? Don't buy the rest either, but we're not doing the Skrtel discussions any more are we? I hope would hope he wants a centerback that can step out of defence with the ball as I think it's a really negative move if not. Especially when there's one already at the club.

Thought about applying for Rodgers' role yet?

Since you seem to know a lot better than him. You and a few others. A career in management waits you at Liverpool.

I hate stuff like this. Go back a few posts and you're saying 3 at the back won't work, and that it won't work with the current midfield, and that Lucas and Gerrard in general don't work. Why don't you apply for Rodgers' job as well? You've just got an opinion or something. Kinda like Cpt Reina does here.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 29, 2013, 07:02:10 am »
We have the numbers in defence for a team in european competition, but we're not actually in one. That's the issue.

The fact that Rodgers went for Ilori and Sakho knowing he had Agger, Skrtel and a bit later Toure may indicate he didn't fully trust the first two. Now the competition requires both Skrtel and Agger to up their games.

It's fantastic, imo. These two and their mate Pepe were capable of a lot more, as we are seeing with Pepe on loan this season. Let's see if these two step up; Skrtel has done ok since coming back in.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #261 on: October 29, 2013, 07:07:34 am »
We have a very solid selection of centre backs which is great.

Would rather see Agger in there though personally, but I can see why he's not.

Offline dr.dracco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2013, 07:11:57 am »
That clearance with the outside of the boot that set up Keane's wonder goal at the Emirates a few years back?

I have a feeling that Agger will be back in against Arsenal. Quality will out.

Remember last game against Arsenal? Danny was directly culpable for 2 goals as twice he was just standing and looking at Giroud, making him look like world beater. If none of our current starting CBs gets inured during week, there is no chance Agger will start.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2013, 07:37:04 am »
I am not a Skrtel fan by any means but we are undefeated with this setup and really should have won all the matches we have played with this system. Because of that, it would be unfair to drop Skrtel as it would show the squad that doesn't matter how well you play, certain players get back in.

It's the same with Henderson for Coutinho. Albeit stability at the back is more crucial.

Offline astrid

• Main Stander
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:48 am »
Remember last game against Arsenal? Danny was directly culpable for 2 goals as twice he was just standing and looking at Giroud, making him look like world beater. If none of our current starting CBs gets inured during week, there is no chance Agger will start.
Thats not fair on Agger. He could and should have done better on the first goal from Giroud, but no way was he responsible for the second scoring from Walcott. He was marking two men ffs.. Do you hate him?!

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
  • My karma just ran over your dogma
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2013, 07:44:15 am »
Agger will be surely getting his chance as the season wears on.

But getting him right back in against Arsenal doesn't seem to be a wise thing to do.
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2013, 07:45:32 am »
Sample size of 4 and 7 game total for the season or the 5 and 8 years they've spent at the club? Don't buy the rest either, but we're not doing the Skrtel discussions any more are we? I hope would hope he wants a centerback that can step out of defence with the ball as I think it's a really negative move if not. Especially when there's one already at the club.

I hate stuff like this. Go back a few posts and you're saying 3 at the back won't work, and that it won't work with the current midfield, and that Lucas and Gerrard in general don't work. Why don't you apply for Rodgers' job as well? You've just got an opinion or something. Kinda like Cpt Reina does here.

I am all for a debate as to the merits of the current combination of CBs we are sticking with.

But when you have grand sweeping statements like "Agger should be in there, no questions asked", when the manager and coaching staff, people getting paid a shitload of money to 'manage' and 'coach' football teams.. well, what do you expect?

There are certain advantages of playing Agger over Skrtel. Similarly there are certain benefits of playing Skrtel over Agger. The manager, who works day in and day out with his players, has decided that Skrtel has done nothing to lose his place. The manager obviously think the player and the system are well matched. You could always have a debate on that. But cannot make close ended definitive statements like he did. It implies that the manager does not know what he is doing.

And remember we are sitting 2nd on the table, having had our best start in YEARS and haven't shipped in that many either.

So forgive me.
Phuk yoo

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2013, 07:53:21 am »
Why skirtel vs agger and not skirtel and agger? No disrespect to the new guys.
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2013, 07:59:56 am »
I think Agger will try and force his way into the team before the new year, if it doesn't happen I'm pretty sure Barca will come in for him.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:08:57 am by spider-neil »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #269 on: October 29, 2013, 08:00:36 am »
Why skirtel vs agger and not skirtel and agger? No disrespect to the new guys.

Because of the same reasons ; The existing CBS have done nothing to get dropped.

The only way to accommodate Agger is by moving Toure to RWB and playing Skrtel as the RCB. I am not sure about the merits of that move.

He'll just have to bide his time and wait for one of the other three to screw up and get dropped. 

Phuk yoo

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:51 am »
Why don't we give Agger to Napoli. Some on here were so happy to hand Skrtel over.

Hehe.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2013, 08:15:54 am »
Why don't we give Agger to Napoli. Some on here were so happy to hand Skrtel over.

Hehe.

Rafa wants Skrtel; according to Gazetta Dello Sport.  :-X But what does rafa know anyway, wanting a liability like Skrtel to challenge for the league.
Phuk yoo

Offline Lethul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2013, 08:21:28 am »
I would prefer Sakho in the middle over Skrtel. And that would allow Agger to play on the left.

Sakho just seems aerially and physically dominanant compared to Skrtel. With that said I do not think Agger should replace Skrtel if Brendan keeps Skrtel in the middle.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #273 on: October 29, 2013, 08:28:52 am »
Rafa wants Skrtel; according to Gazetta Dello Sport.  :-X But what does rafa know anyway, wanting a liability like Skrtel to challenge for the league.

Yeah I mean, it's not like Rafa ever signed any shite.

Dossena, Babel, Morientes, Kronkamp Pellagrino etc say hi.

This idea that because Rafa wants him he cant be bad is a massive straw man. Carry on.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2013, 08:37:44 am »
Yeah I mean, it's not like Rafa ever signed any shite.

Dossena, Babel, Morientes, Kronkamp Pellagrino etc say hi.

This idea that because Rafa wants him he cant be bad is a massive straw man. Carry on.

After playing 4 years under Rafa and many more at Liverpool under other managers, more or less figuring consistently, don't you think Rafa is in a good position to judge his abilities and qualities as a CB?

Phuk yoo

Offline LoubySoho

• Main Stander
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:05 am »
Didn't rafa also want to buy Agger and Lucas when he took over at Napoli

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2013, 08:59:33 am »
Didn't rafa also want to buy Agger and Lucas when he took over at Napoli

Not sure about Agger but there were some reports as far as Lucas is concerned.

Phuk yoo

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2013, 09:08:47 am »
Agger should trust his ability to get back into the team. I'm sure in his own head he is the best defender at the club, he should be hellbent on proving rather than demanding a player be dropped when they don't deserve it. Agger lost his place because HE got injured.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #278 on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:31 am »
Yet again we as Liverpool fans seem to have forgotten what it's like to have a strong SQUAD of players.

Have we seriously been without one for so long that we've all got to piss about like fannies when one of our players says he's a bit upset to be out of the team?

I would hope that any player worth his salt in a strong squad environment would want to be in the team every game. And I would hope that we'd have a manager that can control those players when they're not playing.

People will get injured or lose form, players will come in. That's how things go. The Christmas period isn't too far away either which will allow for natural rotation too.

We talk all through the summer about how we need a strong squad, and then when we get some depth in key areas we whine and bitch when someone isn't in the starting 11.

FML.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 29, 2013, 09:20:08 am »
Yet again we as Liverpool fans seem to have forgotten what it's like to have a strong SQUAD of players.

Have we seriously been without one for so long that we've all got to piss about like fannies when one of our players says he's a bit upset to be out of the team?

I would hope that any player worth his salt in a strong squad environment would want to be in the team every game. And I would hope that we'd have a manager that can control those players when they're not playing.

People will get injured or lose form, players will come in. That's how things go. The Christmas period isn't too far away either which will allow for natural rotation too.

We talk all through the summer about how we need a strong squad, and then when we get some depth in key areas we whine and bitch when someone isn't in the starting 11.

FML.

There is a difference between saying I'm not happy I'm on the bench but I want to fight for my place and saying if I'm not playing I'm off.