Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 285291 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Southampton where can they end up ?
« Reply #520 on: April 8, 2014, 02:26:25 am »
Rodriguez's injury is likely a big blow. I think a lot of clubs might have been interested in him in the summer prior to his injury. They'll probably spend a good portion of the summer window trying to fend off interest in Lallana, Shaw and maybe Schneiderlin. If they can keep Pochettino and some of their better players, I think they'll probably be aiming for an outside chance at Europa League qualification next season. That said, I would assume they would likely shift a big name or two (Osvaldo and maybe Shaw). A lot of their future direction depends on Liebherr's interest in continued investment

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: April 8, 2014, 11:42:26 am »
Rodriguez's injury is likely a big blow. I think a lot of clubs might have been interested in him in the summer prior to his injury. They'll probably spend a good portion of the summer window trying to fend off interest in Lallana, Shaw and maybe Schneiderlin. If they can keep Pochettino and some of their better players, I think they'll probably be aiming for an outside chance at Europa League qualification next season. That said, I would assume they would likely shift a big name or two (Osvaldo and maybe Shaw). A lot of their future direction depends on Liebherr's interest in continued investment

I think they will sell one of those you mentioned, just to keep them ticking over and not stretch themselves financially.

As good as Luke Shaw is, he is a left back and you would imagine that if they were to sell one of their top players then he would be the one and command the highest fee. They could lose him and not have as much impact as if they lost other players like Rodriguez, Lallana and Schneiderlin who are more important to their team.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #522 on: May 8, 2014, 10:10:06 pm »
So apparently we want to sign Lallana before the World Cup then?

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #523 on: May 8, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »

Yes please!
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #524 on: May 8, 2014, 10:11:41 pm »
*ducks for cover*

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: May 8, 2014, 10:13:35 pm »

I hope we don't sign him at all.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: May 8, 2014, 10:13:51 pm »
Yes please. Lallana is brilliant.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: May 8, 2014, 10:14:41 pm »

He will be brilliant signing imo. English and still pretty young and what's more he will fit well in our team.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #528 on: May 8, 2014, 10:15:29 pm »

This is all the encouragement I need to get right behind this.

Wouldn't take Lallana, thinks Torres could do a job  8)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: May 8, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »

We could do a lot better for £25m than Adam Lallana...

At Southampton he can afford to go missing for games and put in a poor performance, and be the big fish in the smaller pond.

Thought with CL footy we'd be above buying overpriced British players on the back of 1 good season.

I would be right behind the lad and trust them with the deal, but meh, not impressed.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: May 8, 2014, 10:17:03 pm »
He will be brilliant signing imo. English and still pretty young and what's more he will fit well in our team.

He's 26 in two days time, not that young.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: May 8, 2014, 10:17:35 pm »

At Southampton he can afford to go missing for games and put in a poor performance, and be the big fish in the smaller pond.

Thought with CL footy we'd be above buying overpriced British players on the back of 1 good season.

I would be right behind the lad and trust them with the deal, but meh, not impressed.

Have you even watched him this season?

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: May 8, 2014, 10:18:44 pm »
Have you even watched him this season?

Yes many times, i've even been to see them play in person as I enjoy their style of football.

He's good, but not £25m good IMO, and there's always the risk of not stepping up to a team wanting to challenge.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: May 8, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »
He's 26 in two days time, not that young.

Has pretty much his whole career ahead of him.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: May 8, 2014, 10:20:50 pm »
He's class. Hope we can seal the deal.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: May 8, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »
I don't really get the Lallana love. Reminds me of a few years back when everyone wanted to get Downing and Young out of a Villa side that was established in the top half under O'Neill.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #536 on: May 8, 2014, 10:24:29 pm »
I remember being sceptical about the accusition of one Daniel Sturridge.

So with that said I'll just have to trust the managers judgement.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #537 on: May 8, 2014, 10:24:33 pm »
He's very good but I don't think he's an improvement on what you have for attacking players. I wouldn't mind seeing you shell out £20m for him rather than a quality full back.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: May 8, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »

He is turning 26 in a couple of days and would cost a fortune.

We could do much better for the money required to get Lallana.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: May 8, 2014, 10:25:33 pm »
meh,was hoping either rakitic or kovacic would be on our summer wishlist.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: May 8, 2014, 10:26:43 pm »
He's very good but I don't think he's an improvement on what you have for attacking players. I wouldn't mind seeing you shell out £20m for him rather than a quality full back.

You really think we would not sign a full back because we are signing Lallana? Also our attack is amazing, we don't need better, just equal.

Offline viewing only

• Main Stander
« Reply #541 on: May 8, 2014, 10:26:57 pm »

We don't necessarily need 'improvements' he could slot in for Phil/Sterling seamlessly without a drop in quality. It is our back-ups, squad rotation players that need improving upon, our first XI apart from the back 4 is probably the best in the league. At the moment, our back up AM is Lucas Leiva.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: May 8, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »
Would be delighted if we signed him.  Although I very much doubt we will pay £25 million.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: May 8, 2014, 10:28:20 pm »
Happy with that Brendan - get it done FSG.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: May 8, 2014, 10:29:19 pm »

We could sign a quality full back as well as Lallana.

He just has to fit in with our attacking football and he'll be a great signing. Very versatile and got goals in him.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: May 8, 2014, 10:31:03 pm »
Yes many times, i've even been to see them play in person as I enjoy their style of football.

He's good, but not £25m good IMO, and there's always the risk of not stepping up to a team wanting to challenge.

Where are you getting the £25m figure from?

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: May 8, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »

Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #547 on: May 8, 2014, 10:32:07 pm »
You really think we would not sign a full back because we are signing Lallana? Also our attack is amazing, we don't need better, just equal.
Of course not, but you are Liverpool not Man City and you don't have endless money to splurge. Most Liverpool fans I know want a CM to rotate with Gerrard/Henderson and maybe a two or three defensive players, £25m odd on Lallana would make that hard to accomplish.

But for all I know FSG could be planning to spend huge, huge money this summer. I really doubt it, but it's not entirely impossible.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: May 8, 2014, 10:32:59 pm »

If we have any intention of doing well in the Champions League and winning the Premier League next season, we should be pursuing the likes of Pjanic or Koke in the summer, not the next Downing.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: May 8, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »
Lallana is quality, a proper footballer. Would fit in beautifully. Wrap it up FSG

Offline Carly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: May 8, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »
Him along with Konoplyanka would sort our attack out for next season.  Just need a Left back, centre back and a defensive midfielder to rotate with Gerrard and we'd be sorted.  We'll probably sign another striker aswell though.

Christ we might actually have a decent bench next season.

Offline Carly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: May 8, 2014, 10:33:56 pm »
If we have any intention of doing well in the Champions League and winning the Premier League next season, we should be pursuing the likes of Pjanic or Koke in the summer, not the next Downing.

Sorry but anyone who compares him with Downing is talking shit.  Hes nothing like Downing. 

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: May 8, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »

Are you dead serious? Jesus.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: May 8, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »
Of course not, but you are Liverpool not Man City and you don't have endless money to splurge. Most Liverpool fans I know want a CM to rotate with Gerrard/Henderson and maybe a two or three defensive players, £25m odd on Lallana would make that hard to accomplish.

But for all I know FSG could be planning to spend huge, huge money this summer. I really doubt it, but it's not entirely impossible.
The player i would like at southampton that would be a "bargain british and young" is their RB nathaniel clyne.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: May 8, 2014, 10:34:53 pm »

Yeah but you said he isn't an improvement. With all due respect, to get players better than our attackers your talking 20m and much more.

Rodgers said 5 or 6 players. We will be spending big.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #555 on: May 8, 2014, 10:35:00 pm »
There are so many aspects of Lallana's game that would make him perfect for us.

- He's 25, a very good age.
- Two footed and bags of technical ability.
- Hardworking, he's in the OPTA top 5 most distance covered of any premier league player.
- Currently plays in a team that plays in a relatively similiar fashion to us.
- He's versatile, can play a number of midfield positions.

The only problem will be the transfer fee, apart from that, everything about him tells me that Rodgers will absolutely love to work with him. It's also an example of improving the squad with genuine quality. Coutinho and Lallana rotating and competing for a place is a fantastic position to be in.

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: May 8, 2014, 10:36:11 pm »
Sorry but anyone who compares him with Downing is talking shit.  Hes nothing like Downing. 

Downing at Aston Villa was a very good player. Once he has left his level, he was fucked. The same thing will happen with Lallana.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: May 8, 2014, 10:36:36 pm »

What relevance is his nationality?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: May 8, 2014, 10:38:07 pm »
Downing at Aston Villa was a very good player. Once he has left his level, he was fucked. The same thing will happen with Lallana.

He wasn't that good at Villa Mac Red. Just speak to Villa fans, at the time they thought he was decent but nothing special whatsoever. He didn't stand out in many Villa games I watched.

Just speak to Southampton fans. They love Lallana and say he is that team. They would much rather the club sell Shaw than Lallana.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: May 8, 2014, 10:38:27 pm »

It won't. You can quote me on that. He was a good player FOR Villa but he was just a pure simple left-mid. Lallana has a lot more skill and versatility.