Author Topic: What are our potential weaknesses? (Hope the grammar is OK)  (Read 13243 times)

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Whats our problem
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 11:13:52 am »
Simple for me, we have an average midfield.

I don't think so. We have quality players in midfield, but they are maybe not the best fit for Brendan's 4-3-3, because of their age and recent injuries. If you look at our squad, at the moment we are best equipped to play the 3-4-1-2.

Mignolet/Jones

Skrtel/Wisdom - Agger/Toure - Sakho/Ilori

Johnson/Kelly - Gerrard/Henderson - Lucas/Allen - Cissokho/Enrique

Coutinho/Alberto

Sturridge/Aspas - Suarez/Moses

Using the 3 in the back would allow us to have Agger as the ball-playing central defender who will be bringing the ball out of the defence. When you have that, any combination of Gerrard/Lucas/Allen/Henderson in midfield would look much better, and they would be able to give Coutinho a much better support.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:44 am »
The team suffers mainly with a few problems. Sadly for us, they are quite big problems.

1. A midfield that includes Lucas and Henderson is not yet top 4 material. Its a bit short, compared to the others, and i feel that sometimes Lucas goes missing defensively. Why we didn't attempt to go for Erikson with the money we paid for Ilori i don't know.

2. Johnson is a miss at right back, but even worse is that our right hand side is poor, and has been for years. Aspas hasn't settled either. Not creating the overloading on the right as we should.

3. We seem to have no one to hold it, and with pace, who can turn defence into attack. I think Suarez can do this, so it may not be such an issue, but it seems we get hemmed in a lot. With more of a threat up front, this one can be resolved quite easily, as well as Lucas, Henderson doing more.

4. Coutinho is a big miss even with his poor start. Most of our creativity came from him, and it's noticeable when he isn't playing. Thus we need players like Aspas to step it up.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 11:35:17 am »
"Fans" expecting us to win 38 games, score 150 goals, conceede 0..

... is the problem in my opinion.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:59 am »
We are averaging 2 points per game - over 38 games that gives us 76 point in the end.

Be fucking made up with that, everyone needs to chill out.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 11:48:51 am »
Simple for me, we have an average midfield.

thats not true...when average teams like Aston Villa and Swansea are dominating the midfield against us, that means only one thing...our midfield isn't even average, but bellow average

thanks to Sturridge,Toure and Mignolet we collected 10points so far
YNWA

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
whats our problem?

us fans.

we expect to much to soon from a squad that(at the moment) that has only played 5 league games and are sitting in 5th

Don't agree with that to a point.

Southampton is a team we would expect to beat at home regardless of the fans expectations.
It was a poor performance but rather than us ranting, I support BR and have some faith he will find the solutions.

For me the problem is tactical, we do not have enough players to fill the tactical roles.
Going back to last season CM is again proving to be a problem, as we do not have all the players we need to play this 4-3-3.

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 12:11:46 pm »
Against Swansea and S'ton we never looked like scoring a goal (excluding the gifts from Agent Shelvey). I dont care who we play against and who is missing, that is unacceptable.

However,  I will reserve judgement until after the Sunderland and Palace games. I expect 6 points.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »

However,  I will reserve judgement until after the Sunderland and Palace games. I expect 6 points.
thats very kind of you,I'm sure Brendan and the boys will be very happy to hear this  :P

How about wait until we've played enough games before judging?

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 12:20:46 pm »
Southampton is a team we would expect to beat at home regardless of the fans expectations.
It was a poor performance but rather than us ranting, I support BR and have some faith he will find the solutions.

And Everton was a team that Chelsea should have won.

Upsets happen all the time. Of course it was a pathetic performance. But with 6 of the 7 players, who were either injured or suspended, on the pitch, there was no way we were going to put in the levels of performance as expected of them when all of them were fit.

Southampton were intelligent enough to capitalise on our misfortunes and grab those 3 points. Knee Jerk reactions the last thing we need now.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 12:34:40 pm »
I don't know what the problem is or why after a full preseason and relatively good windows it's happening but if you'd have been in a coma for a couple years, woke up and watched our first 6 games this season then you'd assume we were still managed by Roy Hodgson. Relying on your keeper to put in man of the match displays, defending for vast periods of games, struggling to string three passes together, creating very little and being happy to nick a goal and get out with the points knowing you really didn't deserve them. This must be what it's like to support West Brom.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 12:55:31 pm »
to answer the op, I think one of our problems is the phenomenal jinxing we seem to bring on ourselves with comments and articles about how well we are doing, how sturridge has been scoring in consecutive games, how we have been unbeaten in x games this year so far.

e.g. recently i heard and read things such as:-

a. Sturridge scoring in consecutive games and is going to equal Kuyt's record of scoring in consecutive games....... cue he fails against soton
b. Liverpool unbeaten in x games so far this year and 100% record...... cue first draw with swansea and then loss to soton.

Just today on the official site there is Rogers eying another reds run, and kolo forecasting a phenomenal suarez sturridge partnership.

Until now I didn't see anyone forecasting some suarez hatrick against united. I shudder at the tought of what jinx that would bring.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 12:56:57 pm »
I don't know what the problem is or why after a full preseason and relatively good windows it's happening but if you'd have been in a coma for a couple years, woke up and watched our first 6 games this season then you'd assume we were still managed by Roy Hodgson. Relying on your keeper to put in man of the match displays, defending for vast periods of games, struggling to string three passes together, creating very little and being happy to nick a goal and get out with the points knowing you really didn't deserve them. This must be what it's like to support West Brom.
Absolute bollocks of a post.

We played well against Stoke, first half against Villa and most of the game against Notts County.

During preseason we concentrated on the defensive side of the game which means we probably didn't work on shape and patterns of play as much which is why we haven't kept the ball as well so far but let's just label us 'a Hodgson team' as everybody likes an over the top comparison don't though.

You were probably one of the people accusing Rodger's of playing like a Keegan team last season.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SeanAxion

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 01:00:55 pm »
Our problem is that despite steady progress, and obvious progress over the past 18 months we've got absolute morons who have nothing better to do than pipe up on here. It was a poor defeat, we're a weak squad and have suffered key injuries.

I don't even see how it's up for debate... Roy Hodgson in the OP?! Pipe down soft shite... You should be ashamed of yourself.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 01:01:12 pm »
to answer the op, I think one of our problems is the phenomenal jinxing we seem to bring on ourselves with comments and articles about how well we are doing, how sturridge has been scoring in consecutive games, how we have been unbeaten in x games this year so far.

e.g. recently i heard and read things such as:-

a. Sturridge scoring in consecutive games and is going to equal Kuyt's record of scoring in consecutive games....... cue he fails against soton
b. Liverpool unbeaten in x games so far this year and 100% record...... cue first draw with swansea and then loss to soton.

Just today on the official site there is Rogers eying another reds run, and kolo forecasting a phenomenal suarez sturridge partnership.

Until now I didn't see anyone forecasting some suarez hatrick against united. I shudder at the tought of what jinx that would bring.

So our problem is that there are malevolent forces at work.

BTW, I want to punch this thread in the face.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »
No problem here.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »
I blame the badger cull.

Offline Rufus Bullimore

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »
What's our problem? Complacency and Delusion.

Three wins and we're on top of the world and nobody can touch us.
One draw and one loss and we're a pile of shite again.

It's like seeing only two colours.

And everytime something good happens, it's either the manager, players or some damn person somewhere that jinxes it. I heard from a mate who said that he read somewhere that Rodgers had said we're in the title race a few days before the Southampton game. It's jinxing all around like some previous user said. Shut yer holes!!!  :no
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:17:21 pm by Rufus Bullimore »

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »
I reckon we are relying too much on a low defensive block, the press and recycling possession while having no-one who can play the number 10 role or as a false 9.
 I haven't got a fucking clue what any of it means but I'm hoping it makes me sound clever.

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
"Fans" expecting us to win 38 games, score 150 goals, conceede 0..

... is the problem in my opinion.

I disagree. Just look at other threads, the general consensus is that we were lucky to have been sitting on top of the table for a week or two. We shouldn't be 'lucky', we should deserve to be there and last week's two games should have (on paper) given us 6 points. Most of us are going to cope better with defeats if we at least look like we throwing everything bar the kitchen sink at our opposition. 'Lucky' goals & 'poor officials' are excuses but admittedly happen to the best of teams. But with all due respect to them, teams like Southampton shouldn't be outplaying us.
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »
What's our problem? Complacency and Delusion.

Three wins and we're on top of the world and nobody can touch us.
One draw and one loss and we're a pile of shite again.

It's like seeing only two colours.

And everytime something good happens, it's either the manager, players or some damn person somewhere that jinxes it. I heard from a mate who said that he read somewhere that Rodgers had said we're in the title race a few days before the Southampton game. It's jinxing all around like some previous user said. Shut yer holes!!!  :no

you believe in Jinxes? it's one thing if a manager or player from the club comes out and say's we're going to challenge for the title.

But if I say it  means fuck all. I'm a supporter I have believe or have hope for my team  So I'll say it now  WE'RE GOING TO CHALLENGE FOR THE TITLE!.

Offline Rufus Bullimore

• Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 01:56:27 pm »
you believe in Jinxes? it's one thing if a manager or player from the club comes out and say's we're going to challenge for the title.

But if I say it  means fuck all. I'm a supporter I have believe or have hope for my team  So I'll say it now  WE'RE GOING TO CHALLENGE FOR THE TITLE!.

Mostly manager/player jinxies. But I'm a superstitious person.

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 02:03:39 pm »
Our problem is playing not as Brendan says he is a 4 3 3 relentless pressing game with Fluidity. Or the idea of playing an inverted 1-2  slash 2-1
we play with two holding midfielders and we cannot link defense to attack. Can a 4 2 3 1  change to even a 3 4 3 with Enrique and Johnson bombing on sure, but it doesn't really because we have Lucas who sits but Gerrard who cannot make the up and down movement of the 1-2 Rogers talks about. we play at the moment a static 4 2 3 1. It is not that 4 3 3 is any less or more attacking. It's about attitude and fluidity.We also cannot expect Sturridge to go in a work 100% if he's injured and if we are sitting so deep we cannot link defense to attack.

There is a huge amount wrong with this team whether it be playing personnel or the system/philosophy we are trying to implement.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 02:04:46 pm »
So our problem is that there are malevolent forces at work.

BTW, I want to punch this thread in the face.

not really no, but the fact that we continue to state the obvious about certain things makes me think that we put unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

If am not mistaken someone, probably rogers said recently that it's useless to look at the table for now. And that is the only statement I agree with.

We must treat each game as a cup final and screw the rest and position and everything. remember that there is nothing for hunger for success then the tasting of it.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »
Seems to have dropped his philosophy of playing a high defence and pressing from the front

Not putting pressure on from the front is just inviting teams onto us and Gerrrard hadn't got the legs to press and get back non stop for 90 mins and its showing in his performances as he looks out on his legs, as for Lucas just doesn't seem able at present that's a worry as he should be in his prime now.

The amount of times we have hit the ball long seems to have increased but more alarming is we're just giving the ball away time after time
Just keep it on the deck it suits us much better , the likes of Suarez Coutinho Aspas Sterling and Moses just get done over with every long ball or cross .

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 02:08:44 pm »

During preseason we concentrated on the defensive side of the game which means we probably didn't work on shape and patterns of play as much which is why we haven't kept the ball as well so far but let's just label us 'a Hodgson team' as everybody likes an over the top comparison don't though.

You were probably one of the people accusing Rodger's of playing like a Keegan team last season.

Nope. I was very happy how were playing last season. Very happy. Even at the beginning when we weren't getting the points that our dominance deserved(due to not converting our domination which was helped by the two players in January). I don't know what the fuck has happened this season. If we are focusing on our defence it's really not working as Mignolet has been forced to make more saves than any other keeper in the league.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 02:11:15 pm »
Bit concerned about the energy levels, they just looked drained second half. Alot of players said how this had been a tough pre-season, some said the hardest ever. Has that had any bearing, i wonder how demanding training is. Whatever it is, its concering for me, they look tired.

Offline Abyss

• Main Stander
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »
The standard of fucking grammar in this country. No apostrophe in "whats" and no question mark. No wonder we can't get a fucking second half performance out of the players when so-called fans can't even be arsed to punctuate their shite threads.

Dude, what's wrong with you? Talk about the subject at hand, not stupid apostrophes.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 02:17:08 pm »
Dude, what's wrong with you? Talk about the subject at hand, not stupid apostrophes.

Never ask Macca what's wrong with him. The answer will blow your mind.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2013, 02:24:31 pm »
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2013, 03:02:46 pm »
Nope. I was very happy how were playing last season. Very happy. Even at the beginning when we weren't getting the points that our dominance deserved(due to not converting our domination which was helped by the two players in January). I don't know what the fuck has happened this season. If we are focusing on our defence it's really not working as Mignolet has been forced to make more saves than any other keeper in the league.
Making the most saves doesn't mean we haven't been playing well defensively. What if teams are being forced to shoot from outside the area and Mignolet was making comfortable saves. He has made some good saves in all the matches we have played but most goalkeepers do in the league these days.

We kept three clean sheets in a row and looked reasonably solid at the back. We have then had injuries to Johnson, Toure, Agger and Enrique and our lack of cover, especially at full back, has shown.

You are drawing conclusions about how we are playing after not playing particularly well for two and a half games and have tried to make out that is symbolic of our season. We all know Rodger's wants attacking, passing football so why not wait a bit before launching the hyperbole.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 03:06:57 pm »

given this post and your name i just love Irony. Macca over to you mate''''''''''''''''''''''
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 03:13:06 pm »
Erectile dysfunction?
so you're saying that we are not hard enough.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline jdelcue

• Kemlynite
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 03:21:57 pm »
whats our problem?

us fans.

we expect to much to soon from a squad that(at the moment) that has only played 5 league games and are sitting in 5th

Bingo?

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2013, 03:33:20 pm »
i will probably piss a lot of ple off here but stevie to me is the main problem atm,whether its brendns tactics or not,putting gerrard next to lucas is wrong on too many levels.his legs seem to be gone in the last few weeks and i dont know why he isnt played higher up the pitch.he has the guile and vision to pick out the passes but not when playing deep where he launches these ridiculous 40 yrd no hopers that only occasionally come off.surely hendo and lucas should play deep as hendos got the legs to get around the pitch but hasnt got the requisite skills to punish a team high up.we also lack a real leader on the pitch,again i dont think gerrards the man to do that.hes no roy keane im afraid...

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 03:37:12 pm »
Our problem is that we shit ourselves when we're pressed. Lucas and Gerrard in midfield aren't good enough on the ball. Their other qualities could make up for this if the players in front of them would move properly.

Our movement this season has been pretty bad. I feel like we've gotten progressively worse each match. I'm a little worried about our fitness because after half time against Southampton, none of our players looked like they actually wanted to win that game aside from Kolo.

Obviously the sky is not falling as some people are making out. We're on 10 points which is a great improvement on last season but then two of our supposed rivals for top 4 are 2 points in front of us now.

Lastly I think Luis Alberto will be a good player for us in the future but I think that the money we spent on him and Aspas could have been used better. I have the luxury of hindsight and it still is very early in both of their Liverpool careers. I'm not saying that they are failed buys, just that I think that the £16 million total that we bought them for could have been put to greater use on another player. Someone who would be able to take some of the burden off Coutinho, because without him in the side we look like garbage.

Offline Abyss

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2013, 03:37:54 pm »
given this post and your name i just love Irony. Macca over to you mate''''''''''''''''''''''

Don't pay so much attention to usernames man. And if this is some kind of inside joke that I'm not in on, I still hate it.

People complain and whine about the oddest of things on this forum and I'm sorry, but that kind of pisses me off.

There are some decent posts and opinions out here, but you really have to sift through a lot of other unwanted.

Round Table FTW though.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2013, 03:38:48 pm »
whats our problem?

us fans.

this.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
Were we not one of the highest scoring teams in Europe last season? Just saying like..  ::)

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2013, 03:42:38 pm »
Scoring problem? Thats why we scored 71 goals last season, you utter weapon.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2013, 03:42:38 pm »
Were we not one of the highest scoring teams in Europe last season? Just saying like..  ::)

and what relevance has this got to this season ?