Author Topic: Michael Owen I'll always be a red at heart  (Read 14657 times)

Offline chopperchittar

• Legacy Fan
  • Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing
Michael Owen I'll always be a red at heart
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:46:55 am »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-owen-always-liverpool-fc-5922189

13 Sep 2013 07:26
Former LFC striker says he has no regrets over his career

Share on print Share on email
02/03/2003 of Liverpool's goalscorers Michael Owen (left) and Steven Gerrard celebrating thier 2-0 win over Manchester United after the Worthington Cup Final at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.02/03/2003 of Liverpool's goalscorers Michael Owen (left) and Steven Gerrard celebrating thier 2-0 win over Manchester United after the Worthington Cup Final at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.
Michael Owen says he has no regrets about the decisions he made during his career but insists Liverpool FC remains close to his heart.

The former Reds striker angered many supporters when he walked away from the club in the summer of 2004 to join Real Madrid for £8million. Owen further damaged his standing among Kopites when he signed for Manchester United five years later.

However, the 33-year-old, who hung up his boots this summer, believes over time most Liverpool fans have come to accept that he only ever did what was best for his career.

View gallery
""""""""""
Michael Owen's Liverpool FC career in pictures
View gallery 
“If one of my heroes was going to a team which I didn’t support I wouldn’t like it,” he told the ECHO.

“Listen, I can understand that. If I was a fan, which I once was, I would feel the same, but you have to be grown up about it.

“As a player you only have one career. I have always signed for the best team possible who was in for me at that time.

“If I hadn’t have signed for Man United, the other option at that time was Everton and I don’t think a lot of Liverpool fans would have been happy if I had gone there either.

“If I had turned down both United and Everton I’d have probably ended up playing in the Championship.

“Anyone with any nous or normality about them realises that you only get one shot at it. You have got to do what’s best for your career and to play at the highest level.

“If you wanted to be funny about it you could say ‘well, if I couldn’t play for Liverpool should I just have cancelled my career at 29 when I left Newcastle?’.

“There are two types of fan. Some can see nothing else but their club which is fair enough. But I think the majority of people at Anfield realise it’s not like I did anything for the wrong reasons.

“I played for Liverpool from the tender age of 11 with Stevie Gerrard. Liverpool is in my blood and I want to see them do well.

“I’ve been back to Anfield a couple of times already this season and the reception I’ve had has been great.”

Owen, the eighth highest goalscorer in the club’s history with 158 in 297 appearances, is now a resident pundit for BT Sport.

He has been hugely impressed by the Reds’ flying start to the new Premier League campaign.

Before a ball was kicked in anger Owen backed Brendan Rodgers to lead Liverpool into the Champions League this term and he has seen nothing so far to change his mind.

“The only time I’ve missed playing since I retired was at the game against Man United at Anfield recently,” Owen said.

“The intensity and the buzz of being around the dressing room in my role with BT Sport before kick-off, you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife. It was fantastic. I thought ‘I wish I was out there’.

“Those were the days I used to love as a player – playing for Liverpool against Manchester United at Anfield.

“They thoroughly deserved to beat Manchester United and I haven’t been surprised by how they’ve started.

“I posted on Twitter at the start of the season my league table for this season.

“I put Liverpool in fourth and I must say I took an awful lot of stick for it – people were saying I must have been on the ale that night!

“But I see no reason why they can’t be in the top four. I watched loads of them in pre-season and I liked what I saw.

“They won all their friendlies pretty convincingly up until that final game against Celtic. I was on a flight back from Dublin with a lot of Liverpool fans. A lot of them were despondent and I couldn’t understand why because I thought they looked really good. Even in that game against Celtic they dominated.

“They have won all three league games so far 1-0 but they should have been more comfortable than that.

“My only worry would be the lack of goals.

“Against Stoke they had to rely on a penalty save in the last minute to get the three points and Villa hardly had a kick against Liverpool but it was still only 1-0.

“But I’ve got to say Liverpool look really solid and everyone looks happy. They’ve still got Luis Suarez to come back and if they can keep key players fit then it’s exciting times for them.”

Daniel Sturridge has provided the inspiration with the winner in each of the Reds’ three league games ahead of Monday’s trip to Swansea City.

Owen admits he has been surprised by the stunning impact of the England striker, who has netted 16 goals in just 20 appearances since his £12million move from Chelsea in January.

He said: “When Daniel signed I thought to myself if Chelsea are willing to sell then is he really going to be what Liverpool need?

“Especially considering Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

“We hadn’t seen too much of him as he hardly ever played at Chelsea. But he has been an absolutely inspired signing by Brendan Rodgers.

“He has started the season really well.

“The key for him, as I know only too well from my own career, is Liverpool keeping him fit because he looks like he’s got the lot. He’s got pace, skill and he has finishing ability.

“Brendan clearly believes in him. In every walk of life if you feel like your boss is appreciative of what you do and gives you his backing that’s a big help.

“That’s how a lot of managers have been successful over the years. Tactically, they might have fallen short at times but they were able to get the best out of players.

“In Brendan Rodgers’ case, he looks like he’s very tactically astute and if that’s the case and players also really enjoy playing for him then he’s got the best of both worlds.”
fit as a butchers dog!

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Michael Owen I'll always be a red at heart
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:50 am »
Too little too late, he's trying to get himself out of quicksand

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:03 am »
A lot more would have understood him playing for Everton...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:55:50 am »
Oh just fuck off you horrible, attention seeking, selve serving, dim witted wanker.

The headline would hold a little more water if you hadn't spent every moment you weren't getting splinters in your backside having sly little digs at the club you 'love'.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:56:06 am »
True that. He was an Everton fan as a kid, so it would have been more understandable.

Personally, I can see his argument - ie, a professional footballer has a job to do and has to do what's best for his career, but I imagine that most fans don't.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:57:20 am »
The article smacks of arrogance on his part.

I get the feeling that he is having a pop at the fans for not understanding.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:58:05 am »
Really dont know why so many get so het up about him going to Utd. He did nothing whilst he was there, and was already a non-entity to us.

The way he left us is what makes him a twat, not the Utd spell.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:00:46 am »
That whole bit about why he signed for that shower is indicative of his biggest flaw. He has never had any patience or will for a project. He wants to sign for (as he puts it) the best team that's in for him. He has never been willing to accept a project, ever since he left us for Madrid rather than giving Rafa a chance to show what he could do first. He came back to Newcastle because it was the easy option that meant he'd get games, then moved to that lot to earn medals from the skill of better players who more often than nor got picked ahead of him.

If he genuinely has no regrets it says a lot about him.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:25 am »
Really dont know why so many get so het up about him going to Utd. He did nothing whilst he was there, and was already a non-entity to us.

The way he left us is what makes him a twat, not the Utd spell.

Both, actually. I wouldn't say I get het up about it though, but it's frustrating having to listen to the little twat commentating on us.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 10:07:17 am »
Meh.

Offline CaptainHindsight?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:07:45 am »
What a langer.
Even the way he says things like 'the tender age of'....he's basically an idiot thinking he's smart & saying to himself that maybe patching things up with Liverpool fans is the best hope for me to have any fan base actually like me. He acted like a prick a fair amount of times & he is a snobby prick anyway.

I also would have more respect for him if he did go to Everton, or at least somewhere to play some football. He's not the type of guy that is that passionate, he's a mercenary who would sit on the bench for the last few years of his career than actually prove that you can still play football.

The difference between down to earth people like Bellamy, who played in the Championship when he could have been starting for many Prem sides & Owen who would sit out the last few years of his career at Utd & Stoke instead of playing football at a lower Prem or Championship club highlights how much of a snob Owen is. Owen just loves himself too much.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:17:05 am by Brethitmanhart »

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:35 am »
Odious little scrotum of a man ......saw him on the A55 near his place a few months back with his bird....girl I used to work with went to school with her....said she was no angel ! Loved a bit of sausage apparently

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 10:10:17 am »
He can fuck off, hes nothing to do with the club.
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 10:15:22 am »
“As a player you only have one career. I have always signed for the best team possible who was in for me at that time.

So Newcastle were a better team than the current European champions? Yes, right lad.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:16:56 am »
Once a Manc, never a Red

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:18:37 am »
I actually can't bring myself to hate him now. He's a dullard (always was I guess) and become something of a joke figure but if anything I feel sad how it's all panned out. He should have stayed with us and gone on to be one of our greatest but his ego got in the way.

His loss, not ours of course. Maybe I'm just going soft in my middle age!

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:19:14 am »
You do get the impression with Owen that he's just as likely to give the same interview to the Manchester Evening Post, except that he'd change the title to I'll always be a Red Devil at heart...  :butt

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:23:37 am »
Is this the same fool who was referring to Manchester United as 'we'? He was like an excited schoolkid when he signed for Manchester United (didn't he even use those words) so it's not like he even showed any humility about going there. He never gave a stuff about the club, so why even pretend that he does? He might just look back on his career and realise all his good moments were while he was with Liverpool but it was him that wanted to leave and then turned us down for Newcastle.

It's too late now for conciliation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:27:47 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:52 am »
There'll always be a little part of my that likes Owen, he was my idol growing up.  I didnt get to experience Fowler fully play out his career but Owen, I did.
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:57 am »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:40 am »
So he's impatient, vainglorious and selfish. Like Suarez. Quicksilver feet and clay feet in the one person. It will always be so.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 10:30:26 am »
I don't know why people are still gutted over him leaving, if we had Owen in 04/05 chances are we wouldn't have won the Champions League, things would've went differently, and for that reason I'm fucking delighted he left, thanks for the FA Cup Michael.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 10:32:23 am »
Owen saying this now is actually more about his media profile than anything. He's never going to be connected with Manchester United because he rarely played for them and he's despised at Newcastle and a nobody in Madrid.

But if he can transform himself as 'Liverpool's Michael Owen' it helps his media profile rather than just being that fella who scored that goal against Argentina whose career petered out and who none of his old clubs have any time for.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 10:37:26 am »
“If you wanted to be funny about it you could say ‘well, if I couldn’t play for Liverpool should I just have cancelled my career at 29 when I left Newcastle?’.

But I thought that was exactly what you did, Michael? Or did you cancel it even earlier?

Offline -bullfrog-

• -jeremiah- -helped me drink my wine-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 10:42:44 am »
Couldn't care less what he conciders himself to be..

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:05 am »
Always grateful for the 2001 FA Cup final Michael, but after that you did nothing really.

Even when he was still with us in his pomp I disliked him at times; the way he'd always put his England career first.

to be honest that's how I see him now ... Michael Owen - England International.  All the clubs he was at and the decisions to be at those clubs merely served his desire to be where he really wanted to be - in an England shirt.

Not my kind of player that.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:54 am »
Michael who?

Oh this guy

http://michaelowenart.com/
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 10:53:30 am »
I thought he was a commentator.....and a fuck awful one at that! Whovere told him monotone nasal speak was the way forward hasn't done him any favours!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 10:54:22 am »
Michael who?

Oh this guy

http://michaelowenart.com/

You've got the a and the r the wrong way round.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 10:54:27 am »
He is just a little judas manc medal thief now.

Thanks for the FA cup final but thats it.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:08 am »
If he had Liverpool in his blood then why only allow us to get a pathetic £8m quid for him (+ Nunez)....

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
 :wanker
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 11:17:47 am »
Whatevs Mickey. We survived well enough without you.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
I don't know why people are still gutted over him leaving, if we had Owen in 04/05 chances are we wouldn't have won the Champions League, things would've went differently, and for that reason I'm fucking delighted he left, thanks for the FA Cup Michael.

is right
YNWA

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 11:21:34 am »
'red at heart'? lol
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 11:22:19 am »
Owen gives an interview claiming to always be a red at heart.  Cue pitchforks & internet rage on RAWK.

Yawn.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 11:23:56 am »
 :tosser

Offline carra1892

• Kopite
  • G+H, fucking c*nts
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 11:35:56 am »

Didn't he score some important goals for them? I remember the game against City where he scored the winner which made the result 3-2 to United i think.
In the end you could argue Owen won the Premier League for them as it was the season we finished second with only a few points behind United.
Now think about that..
Dutch Red Patrick

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 11:39:30 am »
Fuck Off, Michael.