Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 - Shankly's Tactical Progression in Three Games  (Read 23780 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: #SHANKLY100 - Shankly's Tactical Progression in Three Games
« Reply #40 on: September 2, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
Good read.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 2, 2013, 03:26:30 pm »
Can only echo the others, lovely read, PoP, missed those analyses.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 2, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »
Excellent! Cheers!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 3, 2013, 10:30:37 pm »
Top Class. Cheers :wave
@ManifoldReasons

Offline lukee

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: September 4, 2013, 08:55:32 pm »
Fantastic read, Shankly really was ahead of his time.

I read Inverting the pyramid this summer and there's a section on the Red star Belgrade game and how they influenced Shankly.

Here's his quote in full

“We realised at Liverpool that you can’t score a goal every time you get the ball. And we learned this from Europe, from the Latin people. When they play the ball from the back they play in little groups. The pattern of the opposition changes as they change. This leaves room for players like Ray Kennedy and Terry McDermott, who both played for Liverpool after I left, to sneak in for the final pass. So it’s cat and mouse for a while waiting for an opening to appear before the final ball is let loose. It’s simple and it’s effective … It’s also taken the spectators time to adjust to it.”

As a 20 year old I'm always keen to read and learn about shanks, so this was a great read, thanks again PoP.