Author Topic: Jordon Ibe  (Read 129123 times)

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jordon Ibe
« Reply #400 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »
I have seen him and you're right, he wasn't lauded for his football intelligence yet it doesn't mean he didn't have any.
Even today, I wouldn't say he's the most intelligent player in the world. He makes more intelligent runs now then he was 18 but often enough he picks the wrong option. It's probably highlighted by the fact that he alone takes about 7 shots per game.

Intelligence defined by Oxford dictionary: "The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills".
This is why Sterling is where he is now, because he has that ability. I know some think every young player can learn because they're young and time is on their side but that's not true.
From what I've seen in the past few years of Ibe I don't think he has the required level of football intelligence to make it here but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

One thing you're forgetting in this Ronaldo reference which is opportunity. I can't see Ibe getting the same amount of game time and first team status Ronaldo got in order to learn and iron out his mistakes. We have a better squad (and a better youngster already in his position) to allow that.
He's intelligent enough to score a goal a game and be the second best player in the world. Perhaps it means football intelligence isn't quite as important as some are saying, and pure talent is what will allow a player to reach a world class level? If you have world class ability, perhaps natural improvement in football intelligence through proper development will allow you to reach that potential. For me I don't think you judge a players football intelligence during formative years as an indicator of if they are going to make it, as it's the thing that is usually last to develop. A player's natural talent is far more important at that stage. Teenagers are immature, and should be allowed to be, including on the pitch.

I agree a bit in regards to the development time. Ibe would perhaps need an injury or two to get the game time he needs. At least there will be more games next season to give him some game time if he continues to impress in pre-season. I think in all the press conferences in which Rodgers has spoken about the young academy players coming through, he's spoken most glowingly about Ibe with the exception of Sterling. If any youngster is going to be given a chance, he's probably next in line.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:18 pm »
Sterling got chances this season and grabbed them.  I think Ibe has the ability he just needs a chance.

Hope he stays in the first team squad next season.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #402 on: May 15, 2014, 05:54:29 pm »
Be interesting to see if there's a place for him in the squad next season. Think he's got the ability, but I guess the timing of everything could mean he ends up going out on loan. With the team raising the bar this season and the possible addition of one or two players he won't have the same opportunity as Sterling have had to grow into the team.

What I really like about him - apart from the more obvious - is his intelligence and composure on the ball in the final third. The two assists yesterday, the little curled pass on the inisde of the full back down the left for Borini, and generally how he weighs up his options inside the penalty area; and also how easily he adapted to playing at the apex of the diamond. All very encouraging to see. Small things that suggest he's got a very functional footballing brain sitting on top of the tank.

Still think he's got some work to do with his off the ball movement, as I think someone else mentioned in a previous post here. He tends to always seek the ball and be the one who instigates the moves. That's not a bad thing, of course; but if he can start making more of the third man runs in behind the defence he'll add another dimension to his game and be very difficult to deal with.

I certainly won't expect him to make similar progress to what Sterling did this season (don't think anyone saw that explosion coming), but he definitely has raw material in abundance. He was excellent throughout pre-season last summer, and if he grabs his chance similarly this pre-season he could make himself difficult to overlook. We'll see though; Brendan will know when/if the time is right for him.
It depends significantly on purchases this summer. I'm personally quite peeved he didn't get at the very least the opportunities Moses got this season. There is no way in hell Ibe does a worse job than Moses with the game time he got. He probably would have impressed sufficiently to warrant even more game time. If it was simply a decision of trying to validate having a player in on loan, then it's a bad decision.

Also people are forgetting that in between Sterlings first number of games and his most recent run, he looked genuinely bad. I don't think his runs on or off the ball were any good. He was given game time to work out the kinks though.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:51 pm »
It depends significantly on purchases this summer. I'm personally quite peeved he didn't get at the very least the opportunities Moses got this season. There is no way in hell Ibe does a worse job than Moses with the game time he got. He probably would have impressed sufficiently to warrant even more game time. If it was simply a decision of trying to validate having a player in on loan, then it's a bad decision.

Also people are forgetting that in between Sterlings first number of games and his most recent run, he looked genuinely bad. I don't think his runs on or off the ball were any good. He was given game time to work out the kinks though.

Well two things.
First I think since last pre-season Ibe has developed and he needed to go out on loan for example.
Second I highly doubt that Rodgers believed that Moses would turn out as bad as he did on the pitch for us.

If we would look back, another player than Moses should have been brought in and Ibe I think still should have gone out on loan.

Offline Just Dan

• cing on the precipice - it's a long way, Dan!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:18 pm »
When he adds a ruthless streak and goals to his game, people will stand up and start to take notice of Jordon Ibe. He is a creator and a goalscorer. Eventually he will get the goals his play deserves. He is in all the right places already.

He must be given games here now. Players can't prove themselves or develop by not playing games. Its worked wonders for Raheem Sterling. Time to start giving this lad some games, once that confidence comes in his game, deary me.....all the best.  ;D

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #405 on: May 15, 2014, 06:23:11 pm »
Let's be honest here.  Ibe was not much more than a squad member at Birmingham FC these last few months.  4 games started, 7 sub appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist.  He hasn't been able to separate himself at that level.  Nothing about that indicates he is ready for a larger role on a Premiere League team fighting for the title and competing in the Champions League.  Right now he is still a prospect. 

We all want these youngsters to make it, but he is still a long way off LFC standards right now.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:23 pm »
Let's be honest here.  Ibe was not much more than a squad member at Birmingham FC these last few months.  4 games started, 7 sub appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist.  He hasn't been able to separate himself at that level.  Nothing about that indicates he is ready for a larger role on a Premiere League team fighting for the title and competing in the Champions League.  Right now he is still a prospect. 

We all want these youngsters to make it, but he is still a long way off LFC standards right now.

Pretty much this. The lad has potential and if he continues to develop then he'll build on some already impressive attributes and develop other parts of his game that aren't yet up to scratch. Its easy looking good against a shamrock rovers side, athletically he's on another level, same reason why he can do it easily in the u21's.

Offline Just Dan

• cing on the precipice - it's a long way, Dan!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: May 15, 2014, 06:30:01 pm »
I get why some people are holding off. I fully understand that stance.

But I'm on this bandwagon and have been for a while. Proud to be. Sorry.  ;D

As a supporter I think I am within my rights to get excited?

Pleasssssssseeeeee?

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #408 on: May 15, 2014, 06:35:45 pm »
I'm with you.

Back in October, I was clear that ibe was the better prospect... then Sterling happened.

Hopefully ibe can follow and exceed.

Its funny to think sterling wouldn't be where he is if we'd got Mickey Ryan and konoplyanka.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:51 pm »
Ibe's been impressive on loan at Birmingham in the Championship but not setting the place on fire, likewise in the few opportunities he's had for us.

Compare that to Sterling who made his full first team debut at 17, against the champions, looked like he belonged and put in a man of the match performance. Some players you watch and you just know they "have it".

Not saying Ibe won't become a top player under Rodgers guidance but saying he has more talent/higher ceiling than Sterling is mental.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:42:23 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:54 pm »
Pretty much this. The lad has potential and if he continues to develop then he'll build on some already impressive attributes and develop other parts of his game that aren't yet up to scratch. Its easy looking good against a shamrock rovers side, athletically he's on another level, same reason why he can do it easily in the u21's.

Not always as cut and dry though.. Tex couldn't get into the team at Brentford but didn't look out of place against Fulham this season

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #411 on: May 15, 2014, 06:45:20 pm »
I get why some people are holding off. I fully understand that stance.

But I'm on this bandwagon and have been for a while. Proud to be. Sorry.  ;D

As a supporter I think I am within my rights to get excited?

Pleasssssssseeeeee?

Absolutely, be excited.  That is much better than most of the negative drivel on here about LFC players.  It's much more fun to be optimistic about a young prospect like Ibe, than the constant pessimism about Lucas, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, etc. etc.

Just realize that a reasonable time frame for Ibe probably involves another loan next year.  He will get 3 months of extensive work this summer with Rodgers and the coaching staff.  He probably needs to go back on loan to the Championship for at least 6 months until he can establish himself at that level.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #412 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:54 pm »
Sometimes with young highly talented players putting them in the first time is a risk for their development, even if they appear to have better tools than an old pro like Moses.

Ibe needs to be coached more and in order for him to really focus on his development, listen to coaches and work on his game, its better that he does it out of the spotlight.

If you stuck in the first team squad last year and used him regularly there is a good chance he does a couple of nice things, maybe scores a couple of terrific goals, and his head will be in the clouds thinking he has hit the big time, and its just a question of time before he is in the England squad.

I prefer that he gets more polish before we put him on the mantelpiece, even if he is better now than some back up options.

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:27 pm »
He's intelligent enough to score a goal a game and be the second best player in the world.
Again, you're confusing intelligence with technical, physical and mental abilities.
Intelligence is more like storage capacity for what the manager teaches you and things you can't be taught.
Some players have a few terabytes of free space and others might have just a few hundred megabytes with files on them that are hard to delete.
Ronaldo always had both the abilities and enough football intelligence. In his first season with Man Utd he scored 6 goals and had 7 assists in 2,285 minutes. That's a goal involvement in every other game - at 18.
Ibe is still lacking in his abilities and his football intelligence seems like one of his weaker points, especially when compared with Sterling.

Perhaps it means football intelligence isn't quite as important as some are saying, and pure talent is what will allow a player to reach a world class level?

A player's natural talent is far more important at that stage.
There are a lot of talented young players in the world. There are two main issues that can keep them from fulfilling their potential and those are injuries and lack of (enough) football intelligence. FI might not seems important but it is to the player if he wants to keep progressing.

Exactly. That's the bottom line.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:25:27 pm by Sgt. Pepper »

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 15, 2014, 07:43:05 pm »
It doesn't take long for a youth player to break through - it just needs that player to get his own personal breakthrough. Sterling for example - before his breakthrough against Tottenham he was okay. Since then he has been outstanding.

Another weaker example is Townsend. A player who was on loan at lower league teams for years, he came back this year and played some direct and intelligent football - he needs to be more clinical and reduce his shot amounts but he stepped up a great deal from championship sides to play for a top six side when they were right in the initial title mix.

I think maybe hype can raise a players game and hurt it. Hype gets a lot of cynicism directed back at it but people believing in a player can drive him on - maybe that boost from thousands of fans gives a player like Flanagan belief in what they can do.

That said I don't think that's Ibe's problem, now I think about it. His problem now is acclimatising to the big stage and gaining composure in front of goal - cause that balance between composure and clinical play is what makes a truly great finisher and what will truly make Ibe the player he absolutely can be.
I cannot wait to see him next season.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 15, 2014, 10:13:32 pm »
Got the lot this kid. Love him breaking from centre mid which is where he'll end up playing me thinks. As good as Oxy-Chamb same age. Deffo one for the future

It'll be fascinating seeing which position he ends up in. I think he could have a pretty good stab on either flank, up front, at number 10 or deeper if Rogers felt so inclined. Every inch an english Lucas Moura for me. That may well be a more accurate comparison than any of us wish as, like Moura, there is no guarantee that he will ever work out how to fully utilise his gifts in a consistent (or effective manner). Fuck me he's fun to watch though.

With regards comparisons with Sterling I think Juan pretty much has it nailed.

Ibe is probably the most 'naturally' gifted youngster I can remember seeing in the flesh. Not to say there haven't been or aren't better around, simply that I haven't seen them in person. Pace and power, yes, but it's his technical ability on the ball that really sets him apart. The ability to run at that speed for any length he fancies whilst keeping the ball at genuinely close quarters and entirely under control is just freakish.  It's a well worn cliché but he really will have the beating of virtually every player he comes up against by the time he is 20/21. He also has a very decent pass in his locker on the odd occasion when he realises that is also allowed within the laws of football.

His ceiling is stratospheric.

Sterling probably has 90%+ of that in his locker (and much more in the head).

Difference is Sterling (Injuries etc permitting) will reach his ceiling and perform at that level consistently. That much was largely clear at 17. With Ibe, god only knows where he'll peak or if he'll ever find sufficient consistency for it to be worth a dime.

Also worth remembering that whilst he is a year younger than Sterling he arrived almost two years later and was attached to Wycombe ,as opposed to somewhere useful for his development in that time. No great surprise the club haven't fast tracked him through at quite the rate they did Raheem wherever they think his 'ceiling' lies.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #416 on: May 16, 2014, 02:04:29 am »
For me just the fact that there's even a debate about who is better between Sterling and Ibe indicates that he is going to be a hell of a player.

Assuming that we're going to bring in as many as 3 new midfield/attacking players in the summer he'll have his work cut out for him to get into the team though. As such, would it be better for him to stay under the tutelage of Brendan and get a cup game here-and-there, or would we be better off loaning him out so he can get regular first team action?

Personally I think the latter would be best. He may not have been a starter at Birmingham, but I think you need to consider that he went there on loan very late in the season when their squad would have been fairly settled, and with the team mired in a relegation fight. A club in that situation is always more likely to turn to the tried-and-tested veterans, especially those who are playing for their livelihood, over playing a loaned-in youngster who is neither familiar with their players/system nor cares much whether they stay up or not. The fact that they chose to use him as an "x-factor" from the bench 7 times in the run-in to rescue them late on in key games suggests that he was highly regarded there in any case.

Next season a loan to a PL club probably wouldn't be the best thing for him at this stage given that he probably wouldn't be guaranteed game time, but I'm sure he'd become first choice at a decent Championship club if he's sent there at the start of the season.

Who knows though, maybe Brendan is confident enough in his ability to have him competing for regular game time on the wing with SAS, Sterling, Coutinho, Borini, and any one we bring in this summer.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #417 on: May 16, 2014, 02:21:53 am »
I don't get the Ibe v Sterling v anyone else comparisons people are arguing over.

We have both of them on the books. They are both going to be great.

That's the most important thing.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2014, 02:26:38 am »
I don't get the Ibe v Sterling v anyone else comparisons people are arguing over.

:wellin :champ :scarf

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #419 on: May 16, 2014, 02:58:46 am »

Yup and comparing any prospect to Sterling is ridiculous.
Sometimes think even lfc supporters don't get how freakish Sterling is - his underlying numbers at 19 have only really been matched by Ronaldo in recent years; he's a one off not a yardstick for other prospects

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2014, 03:00:58 am »

Nah PoP the most important thing is that we all squabble over the internet. The first law of the main board is that "Thou shall never compliment a player without criticizing another player".
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:28 am »
Yup and comparing any prospect to Sterling is ridiculous.
Sometimes think even lfc supporters don't get how freakish Sterling is - his underlying numbers at 19 have only really been matched by Ronaldo in recent years; he's a one off not a yardstick for other prospects

A yardstick?

He's not THAT tall.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 16, 2014, 03:30:17 am »
I think ibe is great. Birmingham were a shambles
 Messi would look worse in that team.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #423 on: May 16, 2014, 03:49:40 am »

This is absolute rubbish. And everyone and his dog have incredibly short memories on this forum. If Raheem Sterling had gone off on loan in the early part of the season, after putting in performances that showed he did not belong anywhere near the Liverpool first team, then he would have barely gotten a look in at Birmingham either, and we'd all being saying how far Sterling still has to go. Sterling was given the opportunity under a patient manager and a system perfectly suited to his qualities to work out the kinks. He would have done 2 tenths of sweet f%*& all for a struggling Birmingham side looking purely for results, while he was trying to find his game.

Very very short memories.

The talk about Sterling being the consistent type, and it being clear at 17 to me is laughable. Revisionist stuff. Up until the second half of this season, he looked anything but the consistent type. He looked every bit the flashy winger who would have his good and bad days, and until recently, that's exactly how he was. A bit of consistent good form, and suddenly this is who the player was from the very start.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:01:42 am by Dundalis »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:23 am »
This is absolute rubbish. And everyone and his dog have incredibly short memories on this forum. If Raheem Sterling had gone off on loan in the early part of the season, after putting in performances that showed he did not belong anywhere near the Liverpool first team, then he would have barely gotten a look in at Birmingham either, and we'd all being saying how far Sterling still has to go. Sterling was given the opportunity under a patient manager and a system perfectly suited to his qualities to work out the kinks. He would have done 2 tenths of sweet f%*& all for a struggling Birmingham side looking purely for results, while he was trying to find his game.

Spot on. Ibe, despite being known for his physical prowess, is best suited to a quick, passing side. Birmingham are the polar opposite and just expect their wingers to skin the full back every time and whip in cross to their 6' 8" striker.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 16, 2014, 04:29:32 am »

The talk about Sterling being the consistent type, and it being clear at 17 to me is laughable. Revisionist stuff. Up until the second half of this season, he looked anything but the consistent type. He looked every bit the flashy winger who would have his good and bad days, and until recently, that's exactly how he was. A bit of consistent good form, and suddenly this is who the player was from the very start.

Spot on.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #426 on: May 16, 2014, 04:46:08 am »
Sometimes with young highly talented players putting them in the first time is a risk for their development, even if they appear to have better tools than an old pro like Moses.

Ibe needs to be coached more and in order for him to really focus on his development, listen to coaches and work on his game, its better that he does it out of the spotlight.

If you stuck in the first team squad last year and used him regularly there is a good chance he does a couple of nice things, maybe scores a couple of terrific goals, and his head will be in the clouds thinking he has hit the big time, and its just a question of time before he is in the England squad.

I prefer that he gets more polish before we put him on the mantelpiece, even if he is better now than some back up options.

Yep, people forget that players aren't machines, they're not games where they level up until they reach a certain point at which they can seamlessly slot in. They forget the human side of things - if Ibe, for example, had Moses' squad role last season and was involved in similar situations as Moses, losing the ball which leads to a goal or consistently failing to have any sort of impact, that could completely ruin a young player too. We saw what happens when players lose confidence with Raheem just a few months ago.

Rodgers knows what he's doing better than us - if he thinks Ibe is ready, then he'll get his chance.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #427 on: May 16, 2014, 05:06:45 am »
All this debate about Ibe is stupid he can't do any worse than Aspas and Alberto and he's already here...just needs some game time and confidence
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #428 on: May 16, 2014, 06:28:25 am »
Yep, people forget that players aren't machines, they're not games where they level up until they reach a certain point at which they can seamlessly slot in. They forget the human side of things - if Ibe, for example, had Moses' squad role last season and was involved in similar situations as Moses, losing the ball which leads to a goal or consistently failing to have any sort of impact, that could completely ruin a young player too. We saw what happens when players lose confidence with Raheem just a few months ago.

Rodgers knows what he's doing better than us - if he thinks Ibe is ready, then he'll get his chance.
This is probably why Sterling was taken out of the lineup after impressing in his first few months in the team. That allowed him to get his head down and work hard until he got another chance, by which time he was a much more refined player mentally, just in need of confidence from doing well in games.

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #429 on: May 16, 2014, 09:52:36 am »
Would play him in every single pre-season and cup games we got this season, hoepfully he'll impress and well as we think he can and get a 1st team spot. Got soo much pace and power, surely Rodgers can help his football side as well, not saying hes poor, but obviously being young his decision making wont be the best.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:08 am »
Hope Ibe does a Sterling.

Grab the chances and run with it.

Like him alot too.

Up and up we go.

YNWA

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #431 on: May 16, 2014, 10:05:12 am »

It is. And it's beautiful.

:thumbup

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:21 am »
Sorry but I have to disagree with some of you guys. I believe Ibe has a higher ceiling than Sterling. I've felt that way from a while back. Once Ibe starts finishing well and getting that ruthless end product to his game he will be a superstar. He has all the core attributes and physical gifts. Genetically gifted. Sterling is still a very very good footballer with massive potential. But I reckon Ibe can be better, but they have different peak times. Sterling is already a very good footballer with better end product, Ibe is perhaps a year behind and hasn't been given as many chances as Serling in the first team.

More or less the way I see it. I wouldn't say Ibe's ceiling is higher than Sterling's, but I think he could reach a similar level. I've thought and said since I first saw him (although not on here), that Ibe's development could be a year or so behind Raheems' and being exactly a year younger, that he'll be making his breathrough 2 years after Raheem did, so this season, and then pushing on after that. One of Ibe's problems is that he has Sterling ahead of him, so he may have to go out on loan again (those thinking he would get a loan at a Prem team are dreaming in my opinion), so his breathrough may not be here, but he can then come back and push on.

I think I see Sterling having a career progression like a Giggs or an Owen, come through at an early age as a ready made top footballer with pace, agility, ability and maturity, who have their peak probably relatively early, but maintain a high level for the rest of their career (or would have in Owen's case were it not for injuries). Whereas I see Ibe more like a Rooney or maybe a John Barnes (although I'm slightly too young to have seen him at Watford), in that they had all the physical attributes at an early age and were able to make their first team debut's as 16/17 year olds (in fact 15 for Ibe), and were also clearly very talented so were able to play at a high level at a young age, but didn't start to reach their peaks until perhaps their mid twenties.

Not saying that Ibe wil be a Rooney or a Barnes, but I agree that its not fair to judge Ibe compared to Sterling, but not because Sterling is so much better, but because I think they are on different ageing/development curves.

The exciting thing is that they are both so young that there is lots of room for improvement.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »
All this debate about Ibe is stupid he can't do any worse than Aspas and Alberto and he's already here...just needs some game time and confidence

I think the point is that both Aspas and Alberto have stagnated over the last year and there careers have stalled. I think we have to trust Rodgers and his coaching staff to make the right decisions over Ibe's future and support both Ibe and the coaching staff to the hilt. They are the professionals and they are the ones who need to be backed to make the right decisions.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »
I see having got to this page that others have made similar comments to me, although I guess that should be I have made similar comments to them. I should have read on...

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #435 on: May 17, 2014, 04:51:02 pm »
Again, you're confusing intelligence with technical, physical and mental abilities.
Intelligence is more like storage capacity for what the manager teaches you and things you can't be taught.
Some players have a few terabytes of free space and others might have just a few hundred megabytes with files on them that are hard to delete.
Ronaldo always had both the abilities and enough football intelligence. In his first season with Man Utd he scored 6 goals and had 7 assists in 2,285 minutes. That's a goal involvement in every other game - at 18.
Ibe is still lacking in his abilities and his football intelligence seems like one of his weaker points, especially when compared with Sterling.
There are a lot of talented young players in the world. There are two main issues that can keep them from fulfilling their potential and those are injuries and lack of (enough) football intelligence. FI might not seems important but it is to the player if he wants to keep progressing.
Exactly. That's the bottom line.
I'm not confusing football intelligence with anything. Sorry, but if you are talking purely football intelligence, you aren't going to convince me a teenage Cristiano Ronaldo had more than Jordan Ibe. I saw him play plenty, and this talk of him having just enough is funny. What's the cutoff for acceptable room in the brain for a top class player, 2 terabytes? What did Ronaldo have 2.1? What's Ibe got 1.8? And how do you measure it? Quite funny.

Ronaldo was definitely more talented than Ibe, but he never passed at the right times. He always took his man on. Again and again and again, to the complete frustration of his teammates. His intelligence in the way he plays today is like night and day compared to back then. It's not a SMALL improvement, it's massive. Ibe has far more capacity to pick the right option in games than Ronaldo did. Ronaldo's abilities just stood out more, and his stupid decisions on the pitch came off just enough for him to stay in the side. And 6 goals playing most games in the best team in the league is not indication of anything other than Ronaldo had supreme ability.

Play Ibe in most matches next season, and I bet he gets 5 or 6 goals playing in our system.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:53:46 pm by Dundalis »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #436 on: May 17, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »
Play Ibe in most matches next season, and I bet he gets 5 or 6 goals playing in our system.
Ideally we can go far in the League Cup so we can give Ibe some solid game time. I think he could tear up some lower-league sides if he's got a good cast around him, though he does seem better suited to open games rather than against low defenses. His best moments against Shamrock came when they left space behind their fullback for him to exploit for example.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #437 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31:17 pm »
Nice Hat-trick lad.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #438 on: May 25, 2014, 03:41:35 pm »
Surprised all the naysayers aren't on here saying he's going to be the next messi bc of his hat trick
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 25, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »
any video's of his goals?