Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 255398 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #520 on: August 5, 2016, 12:37:27 am »
HSBC would go 4.7, which is what I pegged my offer on.

And I tried two brokers Craig!

Im pretty sure Santander give as much if not more then that.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #521 on: August 5, 2016, 12:05:47 pm »
I imagine he's on about the little things he needs to buy as moving in there - know it was like that when I moved last time, was a pain in the arse and cost a fortune (not helped that moved from a 2 bed apartment to 4 bed house so needed loads more crap!).

Exactly that. My wallet and debit card are fucking melting.

Not long now though.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: August 11, 2016, 06:46:51 pm »
Looking to buy, anyone know a website where you can deal directly with the vendor ?   

ta
No time for caution.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: August 11, 2016, 08:15:04 pm »
Unfortunately most Estate Agents aka scumbag c*nts have a clause where if you sell your property, even if they don't find the buyer themselves, they get their cut.

So the best thing to do would be knock on the door of the house for sale and talk to them direct I think.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2016, 08:17:10 pm »
Looking to buy, anyone know a website where you can deal directly with the vendor ?   

ta

Purple Bricks you tend to contact the seller directly, not sure if the other websites similar to this also do it that way.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2016, 08:29:21 pm »
Against the trend here, my estate agents were brilliant when I bought mine, did lots of extra chasing for me to get the chain moving and didn't try to hike the price even once.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2016, 05:07:25 pm »
Do deposits into gambling sites effect mortgages in any way?

I don't gamble but I want to do a no lose bet thatll cost 100quid. Don't want the bank to think im betting 100quid regularly

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »

I don't gamble but I want to do a no lose bet thatll cost 100quid. Don't want the bank to think im betting 100quid regularly

Not that I've ever heard of.

What's the no lose bet?!

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: August 13, 2016, 05:14:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure they can't see that. They can see when you took out loans and applied for credit, even if you didn't use it. They can't see where you send your money.

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »
Not that I've ever heard of.

What's the no lose bet?!

Bet365 refund losing in play bets if you bet pre game on certain matches. So tomorrow I'll put 50 on both us and Arsenal to NOT score in the first half, returns 60. Then once the game starts I'll bet on both to score which returns 210 roughly. If the latter bet loses Ill get my 50 back. So worst case scenario Im up a tenner

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2016, 07:52:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure they can't see that. They can see when you took out loans and applied for credit, even if you didn't use it. They can't see where you send your money.

I think these days they actually examine your bank statements to see your spending habits. I think Im being over cautious here but dont want anything to effect affordability

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #531 on: October 7, 2016, 01:38:51 pm »
Need to bump this thread as buying a house is next on the agenda for me and the missus.

Sooo anyone know where to start with this? Is there like an idiots guide to buying a house? Been doing a bit of reading online and it's all a bit overwhelming so would love some advice on what steps I should be taking over the next few months.

Cheers

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: October 7, 2016, 02:11:59 pm »
Need to bump this thread as buying a house is next on the agenda for me and the missus.

Sooo anyone know where to start with this? Is there like an idiots guide to buying a house? Been doing a bit of reading online and it's all a bit overwhelming so would love some advice on what steps I should be taking over the next few months.

Cheers

Do you have the money saved? Do you have your eyes on a certain property?

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: October 7, 2016, 02:21:24 pm »

Cheers

I'm in a similar situation, pretty much saved my deposit (plus some for fees, etc) and just getting myself in shape to look to buy in the next six months. I found this guide useful in terms of what you need to think about and other tips to help you plan:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-guide

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: October 7, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
Do you have the money saved? Do you have your eyes on a certain property?

Yeah we have enough for a deposit and everything.

Not got a particular property in mind but been looking around online for a few months now just to get a feel for prices etc to see how far your money goes in different areas.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: October 7, 2016, 04:31:49 pm »
Yeah we have enough for a deposit and everything.

Not got a particular property in mind but been looking around online for a few months now just to get a feel for prices etc to see how far your money goes in different areas.

You're in a good position if you haven't already got a house to shift. I found the perfect house before we'd sold ours and consequently we struggled to find something that matched up after we lost out on that one.

We went to see soooo many properties. About three a week for several months. It was worth it though as you got a feel for different areas, and what the differences in condition and layout were.

Together we made a list of the most important things in decreasing order, and tried to tick as many boxes as we could. We knew we'd lose a garden for a decent amount of bedrooms, for example.

It's amazing what people can hide though. Our current house, we went to see it three times, and although we got onto the fact the owners smoked, it seemed fine until the day we moved in and then it stank of ciggies so much - and I'm an (almost) ex-smoker so I'm not one to moan too much about these things but it was fucking rancid, I don't know how they hid it.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: October 7, 2016, 04:38:34 pm »

Cheers

There is like a million things. The most important thing is money. Get in touch with London and Country, tell them your price range and deposit you have to get a flavour of mortgages, fees and all that. Once you get your head round that then worry about the house.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: October 7, 2016, 04:40:04 pm »
We knew how bad ours was when we bought it - smoking killed the fella who lived there previously - and the only way we have been able to get rid of the smell completely is a total repaint of the interior of the house. There doesn't seem to have been any other way around it.

Yes we repainted most of downstairs for just this reason, and the blinds all have to go too, however we've spent ages trying to get curtains sorted for our big bay windows, seems curtain manufacturers have forgotten that people still live in Victorian terraces so we've ended up getting a mate to make them for us from material.

We went for a house we could live in without too much immediate renovation, but there's still a load of potential, might do a kitchen extension or a loft conversion (there's already a decent room up there, just needs a staircase putting in) and get rid of the laminate for some parquet floors. If we win the lottery ;D Makes me wish I was a practical person but I'm just not really a competent DIYer.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: October 7, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »
May not be a popular opinion but in
my book step one, before you do anything, is get an agreement in principle from a lender. Any lender. It'll tell you roughly how much you can borrow which helps you look in the right price bracket and also makes you look like a strong buyer who has got his or her shit together.

Then find a house, which for me is the hardest bit.

Then find a solicitor or a conveyancer. I'd recommend a solicitor as conveyancers generally employ kids fresh out of college to do 90% of the work then get a solicitor to sign off on the important forms only. Negligence claims galore. Whatever you do DO not use the estate agent recommended conveyancer.

Then find a mortgage. A good, independent, whole of market broker will cost you 300-500 depending on where you are and what you're buying. Again, whatever you do DO NOT use the estate agent in house mortgage broker. See my rant on the last page for reference.

They'll tell you it takes six weeks from offer to getting the keys, but that's hardly ever true. Plan for three months between offer and keys.

Get the best survey done you can afford.

Do checks that aren't standard (in your own time) like crime records and local news stories.

Get chancel indemnity insurance.

(I used to work in the property department of a solicitors so any questions go ahead)

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #539 on: October 7, 2016, 05:45:04 pm »
Yup, totally agree with French Jake above, especially the first point. It gives you a solid understanding of what you can afford, and is something you can use when putting an offer in to negotiate a better price.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: October 7, 2016, 06:33:20 pm »
Having just been through the process in the past couple of months (and knowing Jake won't mind me replying) , I'll go through these one by one.

1We saw about 30 properties in the end, and although we had an agreement in principle - it wasn't ever requested and Natwest who we went with, care about them so little, that they don't even give them out.

2What's important to note is DON'T RUSH. You might have been to see tons of properties, but remember it's your money and it's a lot of bloody money. If you've got a list don't feel like you've got to compromise too much, provided your list is realistic - just to 'buy' a place.

3It's important to distinguish that Jake means a company who just does conveyancing. We had a conveyancing solicitor from a very well regarded practice, close to where we bought. This is important for me. They knew the lay of the land and issues about the property being in a very specific conservation area and the associated insurances to go with it. This is something a practice working from a distance may not pick up on.

4Not quite as simple as that. In the end, my best broker's best price would only have been £8 a month cheaper than Natwest, but would have taken up to 30 days to process the transaction and would have lead us to probably losing the house we really wanted (and ended up getting). This should be the area you invest most of your time when buying - especially as a first time buyer like I was. It is incredibly complex and you'll need to have your head firmly wrapped around the concepts and different mortgages. Establish early on what repayments you are comfortable with (the bank's upper mortgage offer may be far more per month than you'd be happy with) and how long you want that locked in for  (2 years, 5 years etc).

5We bought an empty house with no chain our end and it still took over 2 months.

6Possibly true, although for the vast majority of houses an RICS Homebuyer report (the second best one) will be more than sufficient. Our house is 600 years old, so we got three different surveys done. An RICS Building Survey will be massive overkill on most properties. Then again, if you can get a Building Survey for a decent price or money is no issue, then get one.

7We visited the place we eventually bought in, over a dozen times, before we bought. Worth bearing in mind that news is often sensationalist. Every area of Britain has had murders and rapes, so do take time to contextualise everything and don't get scared away on a whim.

8Not always necessary, but having heard some people's horror stories, I would get this even if I didn't need it, just in case ;D

Who said you could reply to me you git ;D

1. You don't have to get an agreement in principle from the lender you're going to go with, but getting one would make some estate agents/vendors a little more comfortable. Think of it this way. Two offers of 120k, One has no ground work done yet, one had a bank letter saying they can borrow £120k. You'd go for the latter?

2. Couldn't agree more. Don't rush. I'm itching to buy due to currently living with my other half in one room of a house, and its killing us emotionally, but still I'm not going to buy something that is in a crime ridden place, only has one bedroom, is going to be difficult to sell on again etc.

3. Yes I do mean a bulk conveyancer. A conveyancing solicitor, or even a conveyancer/legal executive who works for a firm of solicitors will do a much better job, be better trained and/or have much better supervision. Do your research on who you are using, as the craft bulk conveyancers operate under a bunch of different company names to make them look small and homely. I worked at one for two months (worst two months of my life) and we had multiple printers on the factory floor, each with letterhead in with a different company name on. Avoid at all costs.

4. Using a broker was just a suggestion. BUT what I didn't mention (as Dan points out) is the saving per month may not be recovered vs the broker fees if you're only locked into the product for a few years.

5. Yep. If someone promises you a four-six week move, they're probably a shyster. Searches take up to a month alone.

6. Of course if you know your stuff don't shell out thousands for a survey. Me however, I know fuck all about what a house should look like (just how to do the paperwork) so will be getting someone a lot cleverer than I to cast a glance at the one I find.

7. Agree again. If its a new area, visit it a load. And even the best places are less than a mile from some real dumps (Anfield to Goodison ;D) so don't let that put you off.

8. If you live near a Church I think its usually about the same price to get the insurance as it is to do the search :lmao. There are rumours afoot that chancel repair liability will become obsolete in the near future anyway.

Good luck!

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: October 7, 2016, 08:31:39 pm »
Depends a lot what and where you're buying I think.

When I bought mine, i went to see two houses and bought one of them :) I had a good idea of what I wanted and where before.. I found a conveyancer on the internet and used a few comparison websites to find a mortgage. All of that went pretty smoothly, the only stumbling block I had was a slow-moving chain.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: October 10, 2016, 08:21:12 am »
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I think we'll probably start looking at lenders first to see what kind of mortgage we'd be able to get. Makes sense to do this first as the missus is self-employed so that might complicate things a little.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:13 am »
We went to see an independent mortgage broker; sorted everything for us, explained everything. I think if you're on the road to buying but don't really know anything yet, you can go and see one for advice and it doesn't cost you anything, its when they start sorting stuff for you that it costs.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #544 on: October 10, 2016, 05:43:43 pm »
I got a mortgage in principle first for me and my missus, then went for properties that we could afford. Ending up getting a new build eventually but it helped during viewings as they know you are good for any offers made and you're taken more seriously. It'll prevent you running down blind alleys towards properties which are too expensive. It'll cut a lot of shit out for you as you know what you can and can't get.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:16 pm »
Offer accepted today :) woohoo

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 11, 2016, 03:12:37 pm »

Congrats! Now just a shitload of waiting to go ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #547 on: October 11, 2016, 03:14:54 pm »

Now the fun begins!

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: November 14, 2016, 10:11:57 am »

How have things progressed mate?

Just as an update on my progress, we've only viewed about 6 or 7 properties but have already found one we really like that pretty much ticks all boxes in terms of what our main priorities are. Good area, right next to a really good school, nice layout to it and would need nothing doing to it in terms of improvements (we're not looking for a project).

We've had two viewings of it now and have come away both times still loving it so we're now thinking of making an offer. Only concern I have is that I'm worried that we haven't viewed enough properties really, but I think I'm maybe just overthinking things a bit too much. I mean if the house is ideal for us then does it really matter? We could view another 20/30 and probably not like any of them as much as this one.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #549 on: November 14, 2016, 10:14:24 am »
Yeah I think if you have that sort of attitude you'll always end up looking and thinking 'but what if the next one..' and you'll get nowhere.

If this house ticks all the boxes, then what else do you want?

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: November 14, 2016, 10:54:04 am »
Yeah I think if you have that sort of attitude you'll always end up looking and thinking 'but what if the next one..' and you'll get nowhere.

If this house ticks all the boxes, then what else do you want?

Think you're right there. And I know that if we held off for a while in order to see other houses and lost this one we'd be gutted.

Suppose the next thing to worry about is what kind of an offer do you make? I've heard some people say 10% off the asking price is a good place to start but that sounds too low to me.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #551 on: November 14, 2016, 10:57:28 am »
Think it really depends on a few things. Has it been on the market long? Do you know if it has proved popular (viewings, etc)? Are houses moving fast in the area? How well is it priced compared to similar houses in the area?

You lose nothing by going in with a low offer to begin with, and can always increase it if they say no. Sometimes you get lucky.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: November 15, 2016, 09:34:11 am »
Think it really depends on a few things. Has it been on the market long? Do you know if it has proved popular (viewings, etc)? Are houses moving fast in the area? How well is it priced compared to similar houses in the area?

You lose nothing by going in with a low offer to begin with, and can always increase it if they say no. Sometimes you get lucky.

It's been on the market since March which isn't absolutely ages but still a decent amount of time. From what I've seen houses round that area aren't moving too fast.

In terms of price it seems reasonable compared to other houses in the area. We viewed a similar property to it which was just a couple of streets over going for the same asking price but was nowhere near as nice.

We also get the feeling that the sellers aren't exactly desperate to move, they're not in a chain as they already have a property in France. So overall, I kind of get the feeling that there isn't going to be loads of movement on the asking price.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #553 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:18 am »
Being on since March is still a fairly long time, especially given we're coming up to Christmas and this tends to be a time of year where house sales slow a little.

I'd test the waters with a bit of a cheeky offer personally. See how the sellers react and then go from there. You can always go up but can't exactly come down again, so won't do any harm.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: November 15, 2016, 09:56:55 am »
Being on since March is still a fairly long time, especially given we're coming up to Christmas and this tends to be a time of year where house sales slow a little.

I'd test the waters with a bit of a cheeky offer personally. See how the sellers react and then go from there. You can always go up but can't exactly come down again, so won't do any harm.

Yeah I think you're right.

The missus wanted to put in an offer today but I said we should probably take a couple of days to discuss it further and also so we don't come across as overly keen.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #555 on: November 15, 2016, 09:59:30 am »
Yeah I think you're right.

The missus wanted to put in an offer today but I said we should probably take a couple of days to discuss it further and also so we don't come across as overly keen.

When did you last view it? I'd just go for it personally - you've viewed it twice and unless you wait weeks then go back with an offer I don't think a few days will change things.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: November 15, 2016, 10:11:11 am »
When did you last view it? I'd just go for it personally - you've viewed it twice and unless you wait weeks then go back with an offer I don't think a few days will change things.

Had the second viewing on Saturday.

They'll never tell you to get out of the door regardless of the offer (unless you're blatantly taking the piss).

Be realistic about the area and the price. If the house is 200k and nice places around there go for 190/200k then there's not a lot of point in fannying around with 180k for example. No one in the chain is daft and every penny below asking price is a hit to the estate agent's profit.

We offered 25% below asking for ours as it was essentially derilict inside and needed about 40k worth of work doing to it (and it would have been to weird a project for a developer). We ended up getting it for 15% below but we looked at the lay of the land and made our offers accordingly.

Worth remembering that your lower offer will almost always set your bemchmark price and almost certainly won't be accepted. But assuming a price of 200k, an offer of 190k gives you more wiggle room than 195k would.

Ergo... it's all about balance. Offering enough that they don't immediately sell to another offer but offering a sum that may save you some quids.

I agree with Craig. If you like it, buy it. There's 50 million houses in Britain; there will always be one better value and prettier than the one you buy, but the chances of you finding it in your lifetime are probably zero. Tick the boxes, buy place.

Cheers for the advice mate.

We were thinking of opening with an offer of about 5-6% below the asking price. There's really nothing that needs doing to the property, we could move into it and happily live there for a year or two I reckon without really needing to even redecorate. It's one of the main reasons the property appeals to us because we have a four month old baby so we do really need somewhere that's not in need of any work.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: November 15, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »
How have things progressed mate?

Just as an update on my progress, we've only viewed about 6 or 7 properties but have already found one we really like that pretty much ticks all boxes in terms of what our main priorities are. Good area, right next to a really good school, nice layout to it and would need nothing doing to it in terms of improvements (we're not looking for a project).

We've had two viewings of it now and have come away both times still loving it so we're now thinking of making an offer. Only concern I have is that I'm worried that we haven't viewed enough properties really, but I think I'm maybe just overthinking things a bit too much. I mean if the house is ideal for us then does it really matter? We could view another 20/30 and probably not like any of them as much as this one.

Hey mate, things are going well quick. If I wasn't fussy I could be in by end of November (after having offer accepted 11 Oct thats a quick turn around) but the survey brought up some stuff (totally fixable and I already knew about) so I'm trying to get a discount from the vendor (its a repossession so I know they want the house off their books and fast).

If you're in love with the house, go in for it mate. That's like not asking a lady out that you really like cos a better one might come around in a few months.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: November 15, 2016, 04:51:12 pm »
Offer made on a new place. Do you recommend a surveyor for a new build?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:42 pm »
No one can really tell you yes or no, as it should be your decision alone. But think of it this way, it's the most expensive thing you'll ever buy in your life. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid, do you want to take that risk - regardless of whether it's 500 years old or brand new?
Cheers still contemplating it. Got beaten to the property I really wanted by some sod who bought two. ::)