Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 255360 times)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #2360 on: September 21, 2022, 11:36:11 am »
Stamp Duty cut.

Is this for people who want a buy to let too?

As I have been planning to buy an apartment in Ireland for when I visit family which I can rent out when I'm not there, this would be great for me and help massively as the stamp duty was putting me off.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2361 on: September 21, 2022, 12:53:03 pm »
Stamp Duty cut.

Is this for people who want a buy to let too?

As I have been planning to buy an apartment in Ireland for when I visit family which I can rent out when I'm not there, this would be great for me and help massively as the stamp duty was putting me off.

I'm probably just clueless about this, but why would you pay stamp duty (to the UK) if you buy something in Ireland?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2362 on: September 21, 2022, 01:17:47 pm »
I'm probably just clueless about this, but why would you pay stamp duty (to the UK) if you buy something in Ireland?

Sorry, Northern Ireland*

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: September 21, 2022, 01:28:39 pm »
Sorry, Northern Ireland*

Ah, was wondering if that what it was, or if you just assumed you had to pay it anyway!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #2364 on: September 21, 2022, 02:35:12 pm »
Reports of a stamp duty holiday being announced

What is the timeline on this? How long is it for?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2365 on: September 21, 2022, 02:36:53 pm »
What is the timeline on this? How long is it for?

Unknown at the moment. To be announced on Friday.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: September 21, 2022, 02:44:15 pm »
Unknown at the moment. To be announced on Friday.

Do you think it will be immediate? As in kick in on Friday/Sat or be a few weeks notice? Else a lot of people will be delaying completion dates.
We are just about to finalise completion dates, so putting that off now until after Friday.

I don't really agree with the tax cut as it is another middle class cut, but if it saves me some money I would be stupid to complete before it.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: September 21, 2022, 03:32:35 pm »
Do you think it will be immediate? As in kick in on Friday/Sat or be a few weeks notice? Else a lot of people will be delaying completion dates.
We are just about to finalise completion dates, so putting that off now until after Friday.

I don't really agree with the tax cut as it is another middle class cut, but if it saves me some money I would be stupid to complete before it.

Stamp duty changes are usually immediate.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2368 on: September 21, 2022, 03:49:36 pm »
Stamp duty changes are usually immediate.

Thanks

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2369 on: September 21, 2022, 06:28:05 pm »
Another Stamp Duty exemption would be lunacy, so soon after the last and given how damaging it was. I personally benefited to a small amount with the last ‘holiday’ (I still had to pay due to my first property being kept but I saved about £2,000) but estate agents used it as an excuse to inflate the value of the stock on the market by anywhere between 10% - 30%. My 2 bed terraced house at that time went from £95k to £130k. Some of it driven by demand, much of it by greed.

What this would do is give estate agents the opportunity once more to push the idea of savings whilst pushing the market value of properties up once more. The market needed a correction, not more fuel on the fire making people think their shite, dilapidated two bed semi is suddenly worth £300k.

I personally am opposed to it as a tax in the first place, I handed over £8k when we moved last year. £8k that took some time to save and already had been taxed. Any form of double taxation feels unecessary when it’s levied against those who don’t have all that much to begin with.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #2370 on: September 21, 2022, 06:53:52 pm »
Wonder what the threshold will be? Can’t imagine it will be extreme as it was during lockdown up to £500k.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2371 on: September 21, 2022, 09:27:44 pm »
It looks like it’s happening. This is a stealth tax cut for the wealthy that will push up inflation even further.

Fucking stupid daft c*nt we’ve got as a Prime Minister. And we had a stupid daft c*nt before her too.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: September 21, 2022, 09:48:07 pm »
::) Don't think just a stamp duty tax relief is enough to get youngsters buying property?

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2373 on: September 22, 2022, 07:14:33 am »
I personally am opposed to it as a tax in the first place, I handed over £8k when we moved last year. £8k that took some time to save and already had been taxed. Any form of double taxation feels unecessary when it’s levied against those who don’t have all that much to begin with.

And then when you die it is taxed again in the form of inheritance. Its theft, shit country.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2374 on: September 22, 2022, 09:24:50 am »
::) Don't think just a stamp duty tax relief is enough to get youngsters buying property?

There is already first time buyer relief - if the property is under £500k. No stamp duty up to £300k, then 5% between 300 and 500. If the property is over 500 then normal rates apply.
I am not sure there is much more to help first time buyers in that regard. How many first time buyers are paying over 500?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2375 on: September 23, 2022, 10:33:45 am »
'Permanent' cut to stamp duty.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2376 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:21 am »
There is already first time buyer relief - if the property is under £500k. No stamp duty up to £300k, then 5% between 300 and 500. If the property is over 500 then normal rates apply.
I am not sure there is much more to help first time buyers in that regard. How many first time buyers are paying over 500?
They struggle for values up to 300k in some instances.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: September 23, 2022, 10:39:23 am »
Has anyone done or heard of anyone doing the mortgage which is up to 95%? First I heard of it yesterday. Don't know the positives and negatives for that.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2378 on: September 23, 2022, 12:03:25 pm »
Has anyone done or heard of anyone doing the mortgage which is up to 95%? First I heard of it yesterday. Don't know the positives and negatives for that.

Negatives would be a much larger interest rate, as the risk is higher with a 95% LTV. But guess it all comes down to affordability with monthly expenditure, and keeping interest rate rises in mind too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:09:10 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: September 23, 2022, 12:35:05 pm »
Banks are now pushing the 35 year mortgage as the standard product as opposed to the previous 25 year, for any lenders younger than 35.

We're on a 30 year mortgage and what seemed like a bang average rate when we got it is now very good. I'm worried about what will happen when we remortgage a year from now.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2380 on: September 23, 2022, 12:38:08 pm »
Banks are now pushing the 35 year mortgage as the standard product as opposed to the previous 25 year, for any lenders younger than 35.

We're on a 30 year mortgage and what seemed like a bang average rate when we got it is now very good. I'm worried about what will happen when we remortgage a year from now.

Always go for as long as you can get imo. You can overpay if required, some are limited to 10% but that's still a big overpayment. Money devalues overtime as well. Least it gives you the choice to put extra into you mortgage or use elsewhere.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: September 23, 2022, 12:51:35 pm »
Always go for as long as you can get imo. You can overpay if required, some are limited to 10% but that's still a big overpayment. Money devalues overtime as well. Least it gives you the choice to put extra into you mortgage or use elsewhere.
It's good advice, I didn't think of the inflationary impact at the time, just which deal had me paying the least interest. We were offered 35 years but took 30 as the interest was 0.2% or 0.3% lower.

I'd snap their hand off next year if I could fix my current rate for as long as possible. Super unlikely though. The only thing that may help, we paid £200k odd for the house when it was a wreck, put 10% down and have since spent around £70k on the place doing a full renovation and massive extension. Cautiously I reckon it's worth £100k - £120k more than what we paid, so I'm hoping when it gets revalued, the massive equity jump will protect us somewhat from the interest rate hike.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2382 on: September 23, 2022, 04:27:11 pm »
We exchanged last week but we don't complete until 3rd October - we're first-time buyers. Will we benefit from the stamp duty cut or is it too late?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2383 on: September 23, 2022, 04:35:53 pm »
We exchanged last week but we don't complete until 3rd October - we're first-time buyers. Will we benefit from the stamp duty cut or is it too late?
First time buyers don't pay stamp duty up to £300k, so unless the amount is over that you won't pay anything anyway. As you've now completed I believe you won't benefit if the change comes before completion.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2384 on: September 23, 2022, 04:40:50 pm »
First time buyers don't pay stamp duty up to £300k, so unless the amount is over that you won't pay anything anyway. As you've now completed I believe you won't benefit if the change comes before completion.

We haven't completed yet and we would benefit from the FTB threshold raise.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2385 on: September 23, 2022, 05:04:01 pm »
Then yes, the stamp duty change is immediate. It is payable on completion. As long as it is under £625k, if over it reverts to standard SDLT. If you have already paid funds to your conveyancer for it, they should issue a refund - maybe after completion with whatever is left.

no SDLT up to £425,000
5% SDLT on the portion from £425,001 to £625,000

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:05:45 pm by Craig S »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: September 24, 2022, 02:34:06 pm »
Heard a few horror stories about strike. A good friend of mine’s move collapsed purely because of their incompetence.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: September 24, 2022, 04:18:48 pm »
Hey guys what’s the stamp duty for a second time buyer on flat purchasing for £302k?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2388 on: September 25, 2022, 02:41:47 pm »
Hey guys what’s the stamp duty for a second time buyer on flat purchasing for £302k?

£2.6k
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2389 on: September 26, 2022, 06:58:53 pm »
Negatives would be a much larger interest rate, as the risk is higher with a 95% LTV. But guess it all comes down to affordability with monthly expenditure, and keeping interest rate rises in mind too.
Thanks.

We have a mortgage in principle thankfully. Just trying to find the right place. My financial advisor did mention (a likely) recession and the impact that'll have.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2390 on: September 27, 2022, 10:35:23 am »
So, the gf and I got back from holiday towards the end of last week. Plan was to start making moves towards house ownership after, starting with looking at what we can do together mortgage-wise and trying to get something agreed in principle.

Thanks, Kwasi.

The situation is this. I'm currently renting in Fife, Scotland but own a house outright in SE England. It's currently worth more than the sort of property we'd be trying to buy here but I've long had my eye on using it as rental income given that pensions etc are going to be worth bugger all in 25 years. I've got a decent chunk saved for a new deposit and we're median household earners (from what I can make out).

Right now it seems I've got a choice of imminently-horrendous mortgage terms, selling off my only tangible asset and rolling the dice on retirement, or doing nothing and continuing to throw away money in rent payments.

And I'm one the lucky ones with a choice. So many out there going to be locked out... and I read somewhere yesterday that the housing market isn't expected to slow down much as landlords and investors will just keep buying the stock.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: September 27, 2022, 12:26:50 pm »
... given that pensions etc are going to be worth bugger all in 25 years.

Out of interest, why do you think this?

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2392 on: September 27, 2022, 01:17:07 pm »
and I read somewhere yesterday that the housing market isn't expected to slow down much as landlords and investors will just keep buying the stock.

I think this too, though can the investors rent the houses out if people can't afford to pay it.

Its a tricky one, the world is so connected nowadays so theres more 'buyers' from lots of different countries that can buy up the assets in this country so maybe this will be the case?

An apartment I was looking at buying in Northern Ireland was on the market for 9 days and its gone already, so demand is there...

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: September 27, 2022, 05:10:00 pm »
So, the gf and I got back from holiday towards the end of last week. Plan was to start making moves towards house ownership after, starting with looking at what we can do together mortgage-wise and trying to get something agreed in principle.

Thanks, Kwasi.

The situation is this. I'm currently renting in Fife, Scotland but own a house outright in SE England. It's currently worth more than the sort of property we'd be trying to buy here but I've long had my eye on using it as rental income given that pensions etc are going to be worth bugger all in 25 years. I've got a decent chunk saved for a new deposit and we're median household earners (from what I can make out).

Right now it seems I've got a choice of imminently-horrendous mortgage terms, selling off my only tangible asset and rolling the dice on retirement, or doing nothing and continuing to throw away money in rent payments.

And I'm one the lucky ones with a choice. So many out there going to be locked out... and I read somewhere yesterday that the housing market isn't expected to slow down much as landlords and investors will just keep buying the stock.

I'm confused by this.  I have no idea what house prices are like in Fife and also no clue where in SE England your house is. But I can't imagine that a similar sized house in Fife would be valued at more than 1 third of the value of the house in SE England (unless of course you're looking to buy a mansion in Fife).  You also say that you own the house in SE England outright, so I assume no mortgage.  You could borrow against the value of that house and the rental income you expect to achieve and still get a good buy-to-let mortgage interest rate. The rental income will likely more than adequately cover the mortgage.  Then you use your combined income, deposit and the equity you've released from the SE England house to buy a place in Fife.

If you consider the house in SE England to be your pension (or at leat part of it) you're keeping it for the long term and there is no doubt it will increase in value even over a 15 year period. So what's the problem?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: September 27, 2022, 06:05:23 pm »

Thanks, Kwasi.

Remember, if you are not replacing your main residence (sold within 3 years, either side, of completing the purchase) then you will have to pay the additional stamp duty.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: September 27, 2022, 06:16:01 pm »
I'm confused by this.  I have no idea what house prices are like in Fife and also no clue where in SE England your house is. But I can't imagine that a similar sized house in Fife would be valued at more than 1 third of the value of the house in SE England (unless of course you're looking to buy a mansion in Fife).  You also say that you own the house in SE England outright, so I assume no mortgage.  You could borrow against the value of that house and the rental income you expect to achieve and still get a good buy-to-let mortgage interest rate. The rental income will likely more than adequately cover the mortgage.  Then you use your combined income, deposit and the equity you've released from the SE England house to buy a place in Fife.

If you consider the house in SE England to be your pension (or at leat part of it) you're keeping it for the long term and there is no doubt it will increase in value even over a 15 year period. So what's the problem?

There will be big differences in prices in Fife between the East Neuk and the grim hellhole that is Methil, but it's generally going to be much cheaper than SE England.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2396 on: September 27, 2022, 06:43:58 pm »

Totally agree with this logic.

Loan against what you have to buy your 'second house'. Although as I'm writing this there will be complications as it is a commercial property of sorts with renters. Even so, seems an easier bet to me to go this route.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2397 on: September 27, 2022, 06:47:08 pm »
Remember, if you are not replacing your main residence (sold within 3 years, either side, of completing the purchase) then you will have to pay the additional stamp duty.

Also the the rates on LBTT (Scottish equivalent of Stamp Duty) are higher than England for additional homes (extra 4% compared to 3%), and the cuts announced by Kami-Kwasi don't apply here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 06:49:57 pm by Elmo! »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2398 on: September 27, 2022, 09:42:06 pm »
You could probably sell the house in the SE and buy one in Fife to live in and one in the NE of England to rent out. You'd get less rent than in the SE, but I think rents are less different across the country than house prices. And you'd be mortage free.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: September 28, 2022, 11:06:26 am »
10- year fixes are currently lower than 2-5 year ones.