Author Topic: Suarez Banned For Ten Matches. No Appeal.  (Read 447989 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Suarez Banned For Ten Matches. No Appeal.
« Reply #5560 on: April 29, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »
If there's a white person who is comfortable using it with his black friends and they are comfortable with that too, then we've arrived at a good place. I don't have any problem with that. If he starts using it to random people in the street though, he might find it difficult.

And I think it's obvious that the colour of your skin usually drives the context of the word in this case, much as we might wish otherwise.
Your last sentence then would make a discriminatory person  bordering on racism, it is the context of the word and how it used that is important not the colour of the person using it .

By the way if  that white bloke who is comfortable enough using it with his black mates did it in a bar you were in, would you automatically believe he was a racist.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5561 on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:15 pm »
Apparently that doesn't work with the Klan, in the dark, in the country
Yes I know  but we live in Somerset in the country where the zider apples grow and I'm a fucking scouser so there is a double threat to watch out for.
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #5562 on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »

I answered in the post you quoted of me?? Plenty of people are telling you why.

I see you don't really want an answer though, you're just taking a "stand" to be all big.

Well done.

Yes, you've rumbled me, that's what I'm doing.

Well done.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5563 on: April 29, 2013, 11:29:03 pm »
I don't get this "if I can't say it, they can't say it" attitude, regardless of what you think, that's how it comes off to me. I don't understand it. It's a bit weird this thread has descended to it really.

It all boils down to intent for me. Why would your average white fella say it without being offensive?

It's not a case of "WHITE PEOPLE CAN'T USE IT", it's a case of, why the fuck would one use it?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5564 on: April 29, 2013, 11:30:05 pm »
Yes I know  but we live in Somerset in the country where the zider apples grow and I'm a fucking scouser so there is a double threat to watch out for.

Unfortunately I have come across such people in the dark, in the country (over the other side of the atlantic I must point out, although you can't see what side of the atlantic I'm saying this from of course)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #5565 on: April 29, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »
Your last sentence then would make a discriminatory person  bordering on racism, it is the context of the word and how it used that is important not the colour of the person using it .

My sentence would make a person? Don't follow you, sorry.
Context is essential, yes. But in the case of a racially charged term, skin colour IS often a very important aspect of that context.

By the way if  that white bloke who is comfortable enough using it with his black mates did it in a bar you were in, would you automatically believe he was a racist.
Not automatically, no. It would depend, as you say, on the context.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5566 on: April 29, 2013, 11:32:55 pm »
You're an idiot

Thanks for that in depth explanation as to why I'm wrong, you've brilliantly dismantled my argument right there.

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5567 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:03 pm »
Unfortunately I have come across such people in the dark, in the country (over the other side of the atlantic I must point out, although you can't see what side of the atlantic I'm saying this from of course)
Strange Fruit indeed mate.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5568 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:21 pm »
I don't get this "if I can't say it, they can't say it" attitude, regardless of what you think, that's how it comes off to me. I don't understand it. It's a bit weird this thread has descended to it really.

It all boils down to intent for me. Why would your average white fella say it without being offensive?

It's not a case of "WHITE PEOPLE CAN'T USE IT", it's a case of, why the fuck would one use it?

It's an american phenomenom IMO, you see so many films now with a group of lads, some white, some black, all using it without any fuss, you hear about gangsters calling each other it yet if a white man uses it then it's deemed racist.

Personally think no one should use it, a black person saying it is hypocritical whereas a white man using it is usually a form of disgust/anger.

i'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter the colour of someones skin, religion or background, discrimination of any kind is disgusting.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #5569 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:44 pm »
All this is putting me in mind of Tim Roth in Gridlock'd.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline tellusajoke

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5570 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:49 pm »
So when's the PFA Chairman resigning then?
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5571 on: April 29, 2013, 11:36:02 pm »
Quite interested by this "white person using the word jokingly with his black mates, har har har, everyone's happy, no offence whatsoever taken" argument, actually. I'd wager that this doesn't happen very often. And frankly, just because someone laughs it off and says they're okay with it, it doesn't actually mean they ARE okay with it, does it?

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5572 on: April 29, 2013, 11:39:38 pm »
Why not? Nessy stated it's not racism when they use it. So in effect you can discriminate and abuse somebody providing you are of the same race.
 So surely someone who is 60 years old can do the same to another 60 year old. Or a male can discriminate or abuse another male?

Using the n word to someone of the same race isn't discriminating against them OR abusing them, arguments dead in the water instantly.

I am black, i don't use the word as i dont see a reason for using it, but if i were to use it to say my older brother i'm not discriminating against him or abusing him.

There is no comparison to be made between the two examples you gave, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, because you are talking about a scenario in which the word isn't even being used in the way you describe.

The fact this thread hasn't been locked is a fucking insult

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #5573 on: April 29, 2013, 11:40:13 pm »
Is quite right although it gets complicated because intent and the taking of offence are often at odds which often requires judgement

that's very true, but i think a lot of that is fed into by the hysteria caused around language by the media at both ends of the debate. 

language tends to find its own equilibrium and settles down in context over time, but not when there is a shitstorm stirred up around every hint of a banned word in the public sphere (but oddly not for the far more common racist/xenophobic/discriminatory intent of phrases or sentences made up of seemingly innocuous words... see the FA vs luis suarez part 1 for several examples of that).
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #5574 on: April 29, 2013, 11:41:57 pm »
My sentence would make a person? Don't follow you, sorry.
Context is essential, yes. But in the case of a racially charged term, skin colour IS often a very important aspect of that context.
Not automatically, no. It would depend, as you say, on the context.

So what's the context now you don't know what colour I am after all. You are the person seeing a colour I am seeing a group of people.
Your stance actually harms the notion of a multicultural society rather than enhance it, because it seems you need to put people into boxes based solely on the colour of their skin which dictates what they can say and how they can act . 

whereas a balanced non racist person should just see another person!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #5575 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:50 pm »
Quite interested by this "white person using the word jokingly with his black mates, har har har, everyone's happy, no offence whatsoever taken" argument, actually. I'd wager that this doesn't happen very often. And frankly, just because someone laughs it off and says they're okay with it, it doesn't actually mean they ARE okay with it, does it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/04/man-cleared-racial-abuse-endearment

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5576 on: April 29, 2013, 11:45:50 pm »
It's an american phenomenom IMO, you see so many films now with a group of lads, some white, some black, all using it without any fuss, you hear about gangsters calling each other it yet if a white man uses it then it's deemed racist.

Personally think no one should use it, a black person saying it is hypocritical whereas a white man using it is usually a form of disgust/anger.

i'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter the colour of someones skin, religion or background, discrimination of any kind is disgusting.

No, it's not "hypocritical". Hypocritical would be if they were using it with the original intent. When a black person calls another black person ****** do you think they're saying it to dehumanise, oppress and attempt to enforce the "superiority" of their own race over the race of the person they're saying it to? Or do you think perhaps it's the result of a community's attempts to reclaim a word that quite frankly drips with blood and the very, very worst of humanity and take just a little bit of the hurt from it? In much the same way that the LGBT community have done, for example?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:48:34 pm by Siannn. »

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5577 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:32 pm »
what the hell happened to this thread?

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5578 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:01 pm »

There ain't many songs.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #5579 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:23 pm »
Using the n word to someone of the same race isn't discriminating against them OR abusing them, arguments dead in the water instantly.
Surely that's up to the recipient?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #5580 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:52 pm »
Quote from: RyanBabel19 link=topic=305346.msg11604745#msg11604745 date

[/quote

Is right mate - it's gone off on too far an uncomfortable tangent

Believer

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5581 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:24 pm »

I am black, i don't use the word as i dont see a reason for using it, but if i were to use it to say my older brother i'm not discriminating against him or abusing him.

There is no comparison to be made between the two examples you gave, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, because you are talking about a scenario in which the word isn't even being used in the way you describe.

Lighten up mate.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5582 on: April 29, 2013, 11:50:24 pm »
So what's the context now you don't know what colour I am after all. You are the person seeing a colour I am seeing a group of people.
Your stance actually harms the notion of a multicultural society rather than enhance it, because it seems you need to put people into boxes based solely on the colour of their skin which dictates what they can say and how they can act . 

whereas a balanced non racist person should just see another person!

So now I'm racist?
Grow up.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5583 on: April 29, 2013, 11:50:29 pm »
Regardless, it always baffles me that so many white people seem to be so very, very hurt and upset that they can't use that word without being considered a worthless c*nt.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #5584 on: April 29, 2013, 11:51:38 pm »
So when's the PFA Chairman resigning then?

Gordon looks a little tipsey. Nothing new there. But I guess the real issue once you've got past all the subtext of racism and whatnot, is the fact, the fa is abit of a mess, the union is led by a dinosaur who likes the bottle, his million pound salary, and getting his ore in.  They are good at self praising and back slapping but not so much a fan of criticism. 

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5585 on: April 29, 2013, 11:53:45 pm »

It's an issue in hip hop. Most white rappers don't use it. If you're a white person, can you sing along to a song with the word in it? It's a very complicated issue.

This is a issue with the standards of the colossal set of dullards that run the FA and PFA, though, and their absurd ideas of dealing with racial issues.

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5586 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:25 pm »
Regardless, it always baffles me that so many white people seem to be so very, very hurt and upset that they can't use that word without being considered a worthless c*nt.

You actually know a lot of white people who want to use the word 'n****r' and are hurt and upset that they can't? I think you're lying.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #5587 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:30 pm »

Some people got precious and dragged it off onto all kinds of tangents when it should be ripe for a good old fa hypocrites piss taking.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5588 on: April 29, 2013, 11:55:25 pm »
You actually know a lot of white people who want to use the word 'n****r' and are hurt and upset that they can't? I think you're lying.

Well you've been sobbing about it for the last three pages...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5589 on: April 29, 2013, 11:55:31 pm »
Seems to me That the thread is in danger of descending into the mire . Context and intention deems whether a word or phrase is racist, an innocuous word like 'Boy' can be racist used with that intent, the N word was always racist until black Americans tried to claim it back, but there is massive dangers in trying that as you end up with all sorts of contradictions as we've witnessed tonight.

The one indisputable thing is the hypocracy of the football industry in all this. Bernstein and the FA wrongly told us that context and intention wasn't important in the Suarez case if you use a phrase then you're guilty full stop, yet the PFA use context and intention as a defence when a black comedian uses the n word at the PFA dinner. Going to lock this as it's ended up way off the original offence of biting,
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn