Author Topic: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?  (Read 102706 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #360 on: June 11, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
A human brain on the left, a dolphin brain on the right

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2015, 09:09:39 pm »
Just because its cute.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rynvewVe21Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rynvewVe21Y</a>

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2015, 10:52:55 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ugi4x8kZJzk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ugi4x8kZJzk</a>

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #363 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:52 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EzCbsw3WgTk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EzCbsw3WgTk</a>

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2015, 06:25:19 pm »
The octopus is so highly evolved scientists think it's an alien

As well as a ridiculous number of arms, the ability to camouflage itself and squirt ink to distract predators, the sea creature is phenomenally intelligent - so much so that when kept in captivity they can figure out ways to escape.

Late zoologist Martin Wells apparently thought that octopuses are so different from other life forms they could be an aliens - and new research has gone part of the way to proving him right.

Scientists at the University of Chicago have sequenced the entire 2.7 billion “letters” of the octopus’s genetic code for the first time, and found that its intelligence evolved far earlier than other 'higher' animals - some 230 million years before mammals.

“They were the first intelligent beings on the planet", said Dr Sydney Brenner of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, who also worked on the international project.

The study, published in Nature, revealed that the octopus genome is slightly smaller than that of humans, but it has about 10,000 more genes that may give the octopus its unique characteristics and abilities. In particular, octopuses have 10 times as many special genes for nerve cell development than other invertebrates and more than twice as many as most mammals.

Dr Clifton Ragsdale, University of Chicago

"It is an incredible resource that opens up new questions that could not have been asked before about these remarkable animals.

We've found hundreds of novel genes that don't have counterparts in other animals... In this sense, then, our study describes the first sequenced genome from an alien."

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/the-octopus-is-so-highly-evolved-scientists-think-its-an-alien--bkP0kvZuEg

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2015, 10:32:50 pm »
Amazing that he came for help how did he know that.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FmJuGXa-gSw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FmJuGXa-gSw</a>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:00:16 am by Trada »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #368 on: December 20, 2015, 07:32:46 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OLrYzY3jVPY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OLrYzY3jVPY</a>

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2015, 10:35:54 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OLrYzY3jVPY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OLrYzY3jVPY</a>
;D Awesome.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2016, 02:34:47 pm »
https://youtu.be/XM8aBESf8EI

Edit; evidence of domesticated bird emotion.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:48:14 pm by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2016, 03:32:13 pm »
https://youtu.be/XM8aBESf8EI

You need to say a bit about what the video is, people aren't going to click on a bare youtube link.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #374 on: February 23, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »

Human, Pilot whale and Elephant:

Brain size is not directly linked to intelligence.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2016, 05:18:20 pm »
Brain size is not directly linked to intelligence.

Also, our brains are steadily shrinking.

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:50 pm »
You need to say a bit about what the video is, people aren't going to click on a bare youtube link.
I take it you have canvassed opinion? That would lose the comedy timing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:46:30 pm by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #377 on: February 23, 2016, 07:34:52 pm »

I clicked and wasted a few minutes I'm not getting back. What does a sweary bird and some excruciating 'acting' have to do with the thread?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:54 pm »
I clicked and wasted a few minutes I'm not getting back. What does a sweary bird and some excruciating 'acting' have to do with the thread?
Bit of light hearted humour?  Keyboard warrior.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »

I haven't watched it but you're probably right. It's clearly gone down very well so far.

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »
I haven't watched it but you're probably right. It's clearly gone down very well so far.
It actually has, not with a couple of blurts here like but wtf, I'm off to register on a Cork GAA forum and bomb the fucker.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2016, 09:49:44 pm »
It actually has, not with a couple of blurts here like but wtf, I'm off to register on a Cork GAA forum and bomb the fucker.

It was mildly funny, but doesn't really fit this thread...

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »

Hurling or football? We're not great at either right now, could use your input.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:41 am »
I once had a full conversation with a camel.

;D

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #384 on: February 26, 2016, 05:28:12 pm »

Adult dolphins weigh about 600 kgs.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #385 on: March 5, 2016, 02:58:49 pm »
Very 2001.

Mysterious chimpanzee behaviour could be 'sacred rituals' and show that chimps believe in god

New footage shows chimpanzees engaging in bizarre behaviour — which might be a form of sacred ritual that could show the beginnings of a kind of religious belief.

Chimpanzees in West Africa have been spotted banging and throwing rocks against trees and throwing them into gaps inside, leading to piles of rocks. Those rocks do not appear to be for any functional purpose — and might be an example of an early version of ritual behaviour.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/02Ng1T8Riis" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/02Ng1T8Riis</a>

The discovery might help researchers learn more about the basis of human religion and rituals, and how such activities formed in our own history.

The scientist described seeing the behaviour through cameras that were set up to watch the chimpanzees. They saw them assembling piles of stones — of a similar kind of the ritual cairns that have been found throughout human history.

Chimpanzees and other apes have long been known to use stones and other materials as tools, including their use as nutcrackers to get into food that is cased in a hard shell. But the new behaviour doesn’t seem to have the same functional purpose.

“This represents the first record of repeated observations of individual chimpanzees exhibiting stone tool use for a purpose other than extractive foraging at what appear to be targeted trees,” the researchers write in their abstract.

“The ritualized behavioural display and collection of artefacts at particular locations observed in chimpanzee accumulative stone throwing may have implications for the inferences that can be drawn from archaeological stone assemblages and the origins of ritual sites.”

For humans, stone buildings and piles have symbolised a wide variety of things, which have seen them used in burials and shrines. Those examples are often among the earliest examples of religious behaviour in human history, and so the chimpanzee behaviour could represent a similar instinct.

The chimpanzee behaviour could also represent a direct connection with human religious rituals. Indigenous West African people also collect stones at sacred trees — and similar behaviour is seen elsewhere — in a way that looks “eerily similar to what we have discovered here”, one of the researchers wrote.

In a piece written around the findings, researcher Laura Kehoe described the experience of watching the chimp look around and then fling a rock at the tree trunk.

“Nothing like this had been seen before and it gave me goose bumps,” she wrote.

The discovery could offer insights into the way that humanity’s sacred rituals began, she wrote.

“Marking pathways and territories with signposts such as piles of rocks is an important step in human history,” wrote Ms Kehoe. “Figuring out where chimps' territories are in relation to rock throwing sites could give us insights into whether this is the case here.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mysterious-chimpanzee-behaviour-could-be-sacred-rituals-and-show-that-chimps-believe-in-god-a6911301.html
« Last Edit: March 5, 2016, 03:00:32 pm by Trada »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #386 on: March 5, 2016, 04:06:23 pm »
Saw that, very interesting.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #387 on: March 7, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »
We've Been Looking at Ant Intelligence the Wrong Way

Unlike humans, ants don't build a unified map of the world. Instead specialized systems, including the ability to learn from recent experience, create complex navigational behavior.

By Antoine Wystrach, University of Sussex

How intelligent are animals? Despite centuries of effort by philosophers, psychologists and biologists, the question remains unanswered. We are inclined to tackle this question using a top-down approach. It seems intuitive to start with our own assumptions about human intelligence, and design experiments that ask whether animals possess similar anthropomorphic abilities.

Do animals have a language, or a personality? Do they feel empathy or achieve abstract reasoning? This approach does suit the study of animals closely related to us, like apes. But is it relevant when studying animals such as insects?

Insects certainly display complex and apparently intelligent behavior. They navigate over long distances, find food, avoid predators, communicate, display courtship, care for their young, and so on. The complexity of their behavioral repertoire is comparable to any mammal.

However, they have a tiny brain, and probably because of assumptions about the limitations of tiny brains, researchers generally avoid seeking human abilities in insects. In his 1969 book, The Sciences of the Artificial, Herbert Simon contemplates an ant wandering on the beach:

Viewed as a geometric figure, the ant’s path is irregular, complex, and hard to describe. But its complexity is really a complexity in the surface of the beach, not the complexity in the ant.

Simon explains that the complexity observed in the behavior is not necessarily in the ant, but in the interaction between the ant and the surrounding complex environment. This idea has allowed scientists to avoid any idea of an anthropomorphic intelligence, by looking instead for the simplest solutions to explain complex behavior.
Assume an animal is the simplest it can be, whilst looking for proof of a higher level of intelligence. With such an approach, research in insect intelligence is working bottom-up, with simple (and boring) initial explanations being steadily replaced by increasingly complex (and exciting) explanations.

Decades of bottom-up research have passed since Simon looked at his ant on the beach, and Simon himself would be surprised at how complex, and intelligent, insects are. The change of perspective that allowed him to profess the ant’s simplicity has, in fact, revealed an alien complexity, one not driven by anthropomorphic considerations.
We now know that the path produced by a navigating ant is based on sophisticated mechanisms.

Ants use a variety of cues to navigate, such as sun position, polarized light patterns, visual panoramas, gradient of odors, wind direction, slope, ground texture, step-counting … and more. Indeed, the list of cues ants can utilise for navigation is probably greater than for humans.

Counter-intuitively, years of bottom-up research has revealed that ants do not integrate all this information into a unified representation of the world, a so-called cognitive map. Instead they possess different and distinct modules dedicated to different navigational tasks. These combine to allow navigation.

One module keeps track of distance and direction travelled, and continually updates an estimate of the best “bee-line” home. A second module, dedicated to the learning of visual scenery, allows ants to recognise and navigate rapidly along important routes as defined by familiar visual cues. Finally, ants possess an emergency plan for when both of these systems fail to indicate what to do: in other words, when the ant is lost. In this case, they display a systematic search pattern.

In our recent work, published in Proceedings of the Royal Society, we have discovered a fourth strategy: backtracking. We showed that ants keep track of the direction they have just been travelling, allowing them to backtrack if they unexpectedly move from familiar to unfamiliar surroundings.

From a human perspective, this seems sensible, and is probably what we would do if unexpectedly encountered an unfamiliar street while walking through town. What is most interesting, with regard to the cognitive sophistication or intelligence of the ant, is that ants display this backtracking behavior only if they had seen their nest’s surroundings immediately prior to getting lost. This ensures that backtracking happens only when the ant is likely to be beyond the nest, rather than short of it.

Thus we have evidence that ants can also take into account what they have recently experienced in order to modulate their behavior. What’s more, we have shown that the ant’s navigational modules are not purely isolated. In the case of backtracking for instance, the experience of familiar visual scenery modulates the use of sky compass information.

Evolution has equipped ants with a distributed system of specialised modules interacting together. These results demonstrate that the navigational intelligence of ants is not in an ability to build a unified representation of the world, but in the way different strategies cleverly interact to produce robust navigation.

We need to keep in mind that this is only our current level of understanding. Even insect brains are far too complex to be fully understood in the near future. Perhaps we will have misjudged the intelligence of ants just as much as we think Simon did. However, we know that continued bottom-up research is the principled way to pull back the veil on insect intelligence, without the spectre of anthropomorphism.

source

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2016, 03:09:16 pm »
Prairie dogs' language decoded by scientists

Human-animal translation devices may be available within 10 years, researcher says

"They're able to describe the colour of clothes the humans are wearing, they're able to describe the size and shape of humans, even, amazingly, whether a human once appeared with a gun," Slobodchikoff said.

The animals can even describe abstract shapes such as circles and triangles.

Also remarkable was the amount of information crammed into a single chirp lasting a 10th of a second.

"In one 10th of a second, they say 'Tall thin human wearing blue shirt walking slowly across the colony.'"

Besides being a researcher, Slobodchikoff is an author of the book Chasing Doctor Doolittle: Learning the Language of Animals, in which he profiles many other animals with complex language, including crows and ravens, chickens and vervet monkeys. He believes complex speech is probably common within the animal kingdom.

"It's just that we have not looked," he said. He blames the fact that humans have long assumed animals are incapable of such intelligence.

full article

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2016, 08:14:26 am »
What a beautiful story. Had me in tears, but then I adore dogs.

Pero the sheepdog travels 240 miles back to former home

A dog sold to a farm in Cumbria surprises previous owners by making two week long journey back to his original home near Aberystwyth

Guardian Staff Monday 25 April 2016 

A sheepdog has made a 240-mile trek to be reunited with his original owners in Wales after apparently deciding that he didn’t want to settle on a farm in Cumbria, where he had been sent to work.

Pero, a four-year-old working sheepdog, will now remain with his previous owners after turning up again on their farm near Aberystwyth, a fortnight after making a break from Cockermouth on 8 April.

Alan and Shan James had sent Pero off to help out on the other farm in March, believing that he would be ideal for the job of rounding up sheep there. Evidently however, the relocation to England was not for the Welsh sheepdog, who abandoned his work in a field earlier this month and embarked on the journey back to his birthplace.

“We’d been told that Pero had disappeared, and was nowhere to be seen,” Shan James told the BBC from the family’s sheep farm in Penrhyn-coch.

“But then, last Wednesday evening, 20 April, my husband Alan went out to check on the animals after supper and there was Pero on our doorstep. It was a bit of a shock, and the dog was going crazy after seeing Alan.”

Eager to piece together the story of Pero’s adventures on the road, the family are now interested to know if any members of the public have had an unfamiliar sheepdog sniffing around for food at any point over the last two weeks.

“When he came back, he wasn’t hungry or weak, so he must have managed to find food somewhere. He must have stopped in places along the way,” added James.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/25/pero-sheepdog-travels-240-miles-back-former-home
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: April 26, 2016, 09:00:22 am »
That's amazing, I can’t imagine there would be many people in the world who would have been able to navigate that route without any signs, maps etc. I know from an evolutionary point of view wolves can hold huge territories which they can comfortably travel around without getting lost, but for a domesticated dog that is unbelievable navigation skills.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2016, 10:00:44 am »
That's amazing, I can’t imagine there would be many people in the world who would have been able to navigate that route without any signs, maps etc. I know from an evolutionary point of view wolves can hold huge territories which they can comfortably travel around without getting lost, but for a domesticated dog that is unbelievable navigation skills.

I'm good at finding my way home (wake up drunk in someone's house) but that dog going 240 miles is seriously impressive.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #392 on: April 27, 2016, 11:58:46 pm »
A rather basic example but we're all inclusive on this thread.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8f9mhC-low4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8f9mhC-low4</a>

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 28, 2016, 04:36:49 am »
Most of us think of insects as little automatons, living creatures driven by instinct and outside stimulus to slurp up nectar or buzz around our ears. But in a new study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers suggest that insects have the capacity “for the most basic aspect of consciousness: subjective experience.”

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/do-insects-have-consciousness-ego-180958824/?no-ist

I was a bit surprised that this hadn't been posted here already. But the main idea of the paper is that insects are conscious. This, of course, has the potential to totally revamp our understanding of not just the study of consciousness itself, but also the way we answer questions regarding ethics etc.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #394 on: May 30, 2016, 12:33:12 pm »
A brief diversion into plants....

Plants Know When They’re Being Touched

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2016, 12:44:56 pm »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:49 pm »
Crows are different, apparently.

Do Crows Hold Funerals for Their Dead?

The highly intelligent birds gather around their fallen comrades, but why might surprise you.

By Liz Langley, National Geographic

Many who have heard the melancholy cry of the mourning dove might wonder: Do birds grieve for their loved ones?

For this Saturday’s Weird Animal Question of the Week Emilie Bouef commented via Facebook: "I heard that ravens do some kind of funeral when one of them dies. I’d love to know more about this."

Calling to each other, gathering around, and paying special attention to a fallen comrade is common among the highly intelligent corvids, a group of birds that includes crows, jays, magpies, and ravens, says Kaeli Swift, a Ph.D student in environmental science at the University of Washington. (See "Are Crows Smarter Than Children?")

But it doesn't necessarily mean the birds are mourning for their lost buddy. Rather, they're likely trying to find out if there's a threat where the death occurred, so they can avoid it in the future.

In a study published recently in the journal Animal Behaviour, Swift found that American crows associate people seen handling dead crows with danger, and can be wary of feeding near such people.

At the start of her two-year experiment, Swift put out food at over a hundred sites where in Washington State, which attracted breeding and nesting crows.

The volunteers to whom the crows reacted returned to the site periodically for six weeks, though they went empty-handed. Even so, the crows continued to scold that person the entire length of the experiment, and were more wary of the area for several days—suggesting they consider people handling dead crows a threat.

In a second experiment, Swift also found the crows had a much milder response to a masked person holding a taxidermied pigeon, indicating "that crows are more sensitive to dead crows than to other kinds of birds,” Swift says.

Overall, the research showed that just the inference of danger was enough to make the crows skeptical of people.

Other experiments have revealed that American crows never forget a (human) face—even for nine-and-a-half years and counting, John Marzluff, a biologist at the University of Washington and co-author on the new study, (Also see "Clever New Caledonian Crows Use One Tool to Acquire Another.)

Such a skill is beneficial for these long-lived, social birds, partly because they have to deal with unpredictable people.

If you're a crow "some people will kill you, other people will feed you," and that can switch if, say, a bird lover moves out of a house and someone less bird friendly moves in, Marzluff notes.

So crows have to be "nimble" in their interactions with us—and the study supports the idea "that these crows do pay attention" to individual people.

In previous research, Marzluff and his team have imaged brains of American crows and shown that the hippocampus—a part of the brain associated with learning and memory —is activated by the sight of a person holding a dead crow..

"These associations may be renewed" if the threat is seen again, he says.

For instance, in 2008 Marzluff had researchers in caveman masks capture crows while others in a control mask—Dick Cheney—let the birds be. Afterward the birds ignored the harmless Cheneys but scolded and chased the cavemen, and did so for years.

Poor birds! Probably thought they could trust a Crow-Magnon.

Swift then had about 25 human volunteers don masks and asked them to stand near the food for 30 minutes, in clear view of the crows. The masks obscured the volunteers' facial expressions, as well as allowed a rotating cast of people to be involved in the experiment.

Each volunteer was either holding a dead crow, standing near a dead red-tailed hawk—a crow predator—or standing near a dead red-tailed hawk holding the dead crow. (All the birds used in the experiment were taxidermied.) As the control variable in the experiment—the element that's unchanged—there was either no volunteer present or one who was empty-handed.

Almost universally, the crows responded to seeing the people and dead birds by “scolding”—or putting out an alert call to other crows. Of the four situations, the hawk-and-dead-crow combination provoked the most reaction. The crows did not react to the empty-handed control volunteer.

source

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:04 pm »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »
Adult dolphins weigh about 600 kgs.

so does Rooney but look at the size of his