Author Topic: Xbox  (Read 310051 times)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2013, 08:39:46 pm »
I don't believe that. If you don't own a console or a gaming pc you're not a gamer, casual or otherwise. Realistically is Angry Birds taking away sales from Kinect?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:00 pm »
I don't believe that. If you don't own a console or a gaming pc you're not a gamer, casual or otherwise. Realistically is Angry Birds taking away sales from Kinect?

In a lot of cases its one or the other. People can't afford both, or three or four devices. Sure you have a console that provides both and supplements its library with arcade style games but don't focus too much on the casual side, I don't care if its makes financial sense, your shitting on something that was made by gamers in the first place from a great height.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2013, 12:22:05 am »
In a lot of cases its one or the other. People can't afford both, or three or four devices. Sure you have a console that provides both and supplements its library with arcade style games but don't focus too much on the casual side, I don't care if its makes financial sense, your shitting on something that was made by gamers in the first place from a great height.
I don't know anyone who bought a tablet for the games. They need to invent a new word for those 'gamers', casual used to mean occasional Fifa and Call of Duty.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:27 am »
I don't know anyone who bought a tablet for the games. They need to invent a new word for those 'gamers', casual used to mean occasional Fifa and Call of Duty.

Which you can now play on your phone or tablet. FIFA 13 is the 7th top grossing app on the App Store. That's casual.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:01:41 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:44 am »
Which you can now play on your phone or tablet. FIFA 13 is the 7th top grossing app on the App Store. That's casual.

How does that compare to sales of the console version? And the game itself hardly compares to the real version does it?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:09 am »
Excited about tomorrow, more so for the technology than any new games / IPs.  I would love to see games like Red Dead, Fallout, even Assassin's Creed benefit from the new machines and see them become much richer open worlds, with more NPC options, more realism and much better graphics.

That's what I'm hoping for on the next gen.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:54 am »
How does that compare to sales of the console version? And the game itself hardly compares to the real version does it?

No the point I'm making is don't focus on the casual/entertainment/tv market too much because for one Google and apple have that shit locked down and two you alienate the ones that made your product a success in the first place. Its a game console, so please announce new original intellectual property please.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2013, 10:36:12 am »
This is 6pm UK time tomorrow right?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2013, 10:45:52 am »
please announce new original intellectual property please.

would be nice.
Having said that, what is it going to be?

A new cover shooter?
A new FPS?
A new driving game?
A new GTA/sandbox style game?

Let's hope it's something I haven't even thought about.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2013, 11:11:18 am »
No the point I'm making is don't focus on the casual/entertainment/tv market too much because for one Google and apple have that shit locked down and two you alienate the ones that made your product a success in the first place. Its a game console, so please announce new original intellectual property please.

Agree with that, would be a huge misstep if tomorrow is anything like the last couple of E3's from MS. Sure it wont though, been a lot of talk about it "being about the games".

I think if the $99 Xbox 360 is true it's going to be massive for them in getting into peoples living rooms. A home entertainment system, streaming device and games console for that kind of price, they'll fly off the shelves.

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:39 am »
Highly doubt it will have kids involved.  That comes later when the console comes down in price, surely?

Anyway, really looking forward to it! :D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:50 pm »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2013, 03:52:02 pm »
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/blog/how-illumiroom-can-be-a-killer-feature-for-the-next-xbox/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sJ4hWa6y710?hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sJ4hWa6y710?hl=en_GB</a>

Looks a neat concept. Would be pretty effective for police sirens etc.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:43 pm »
^Posted that a few pages back, editor of The Verge who's got decent Microsoft sources cryptically hinted at it. I personally liked the weather and ripple effects. Is it a one time only scan with the Kinect? If it needs to continuously scan the room then you can't have games with both Kinect and Ilumniroom support.

With Ilumniroom, Smartglass and Kinect 2.0 the Nextbox will almost certainly be the most innovative console this gen.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2013, 04:22:53 pm »
McLaren teasing something for Xbox Reveal - Forza 5 / PGR 5 ?

McLaren Facebook page:
Tomorrow, 6pm BST/10am PDT, Xbox is revealing something special.

We think you might like what they're announcing...

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2013, 05:33:32 pm »
The McLaren P1 probably has something to do with this. Maybe they'll have one up on stage for the new edition of Forza.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:49 pm »
Paul Thurrott: https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/336475059604570112

A couple of Xbox news tidbits ahead of the launch... Illumiroom will be part of Tues event, subsidized Xbox v.Next model has been scrapped.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:27 pm »
I think M$ have come out of this with a bit of credit to be fair. Still undecided on whether or not just to buy PC though. I don't think Illumniroom is living room friendly, though it remains, conceptually a very good idea. It looks like bedroom/small room tech which would work best in rooms that aren't light and airy (like most living rooms).

Thing is though, there looks as though there is going to be a glut of games in Q3/4 of this year with quite a lot of playability in them so don't know why the rush to get them out for holiday 2013 in truth.

Also, will cross-gen games allow lobby sharing? Will BF4 PS3/360 players be on the same servers as PS4/720 - it would be grim paying all that money to find deserted servers on next-gen consoles.....

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2013, 06:14:24 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2013, 06:16:36 pm »
i can't see i illumiroom catching on, if the machine works out by itself what it's supposed to show then it might be worth getting, however if games need to be programmed to work with it it's dead in the water

the fact you need to have a projector sitting pointing at your tv is something that i think will ruin it before it begins
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2013, 08:10:22 pm »
It's certainly something that's very different and could be a simple solution to making games more immersive without them being actual VR straight out of the box. I'd also hazard a guess that if this was to be standard on the console, then MS would have shipped the SDK's with it's functionality built into the software so devs won't have to worry actually coding for it to work. Hopefully the console ships with something of this nature and Kinect 2 built in. That to me is a much more interesting prospect than just another console with additional power of the last iteration.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2013, 08:41:21 pm »
Fifa 14 is at the reveal, so EA will be as well.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2013, 08:47:22 pm »
i think it would be far too expensive to include a projector with every machine, even shitty projectors aren't cheap
STFU and agree with me.

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2013, 08:52:25 pm »
 ‏@EASPORTSFIFA 47m

Will you be watching tomorrow's #XboxReveal to see the next-generation of FIFA? http://on.fb.me/13ClEsO

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2013, 09:00:22 pm »
Fifa 14? really? Not knocking Fifa but....

Gotta be honest, on one hand I'm hoping for some great new games, just kick ass games...on the other hand, if I don't get that then I want complete failure akin to that cirque du soleil shit they pulled a few years ago :D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2013, 09:00:41 pm »
if FIFA is a big reveal  they can fuck off though i'm sure it will help shift a good few units
STFU and agree with me.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:30 pm »
if FIFA is a big reveal  they can fuck off though i'm sure it will help shift a good few units
Well the two biggest games are Fifa and Call of Duty. Makes sense to use them to market your new console.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:10 pm »
i agree, they have to have them, however everybody knows they are going to have them, frankly these games bore me now

FIFA will have better graphics, COD will have better graphics, that'll be it as far as next gen goes

i want new IPs and lots of them, i don't expect much to be revealed tomorrow though, they might show off one or two and save he rest for E3
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2013, 12:12:06 am »
I actually think showing Fifa is a good thing. If it's next generation, then for me personally, I'm excited to see that. From a graphics point of view, we already know they have the face capturing technology from Digital Dimensions that EA bought a year or so ago, and it was claimed then they'd be using the tech for Fifa 13. That never panned out, and it was obvious it was a next generation feature. This is where all that extra RAM should come in handy. I would really like to see them announce a entirely new, built from scratch, next gen engine for Fifa 14 and not be just a direct port.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWEBg_gdKxk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IWEBg_gdKxk</a>

Similar to the face capture tech in LA Noire, only this cuts out a majority of a modeler's work flow by simply having a generic mesh and placing reference points for the features and it automatically sculpts the mesh to the dimensions of the reference image without altering topology. Very clever. EA don't have any excuses now for shit faces. Hopefully this gets put to use.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2013, 12:19:01 am »
The way I see it is that if clips of the reveal get on the news etc most casual gamers/kids/parents will see Fifa or Call of Duty and then assume that's the next thing to get. Very broad but ultimately not far from the truth. I think they'll show off the new franchises at E3 like you said.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:59 am »
I think they're showing Fifa because they're really going for the European market this year like how they attempted to so with Japan early in the 360's life. The timing of the reveal also suits Europeans a lot more than it does Americans who are MS' biggest audience.

Personally though that's 2 games we all knew were coming to Durango. Hope we see megatons. I think they'll save most of those for E3 though.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:38 am »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2013, 08:15:35 am »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2013, 08:23:36 am »
Not how I pictured you mate.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2013, 08:28:40 am »
Not how I pictured you mate.
No matter what they tell you , size always matters.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2013, 09:06:54 am »
COD and FIFA - might be multi platform, but showing them being played on next-gen will be a massive chunk of their advertising complete. Probably the two biggest franchises alongside the exclusive Halo. Smart and lazy, but no doubt effective.

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2013, 10:24:21 am »

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: XBOX 'Durango': Reveal 18:00 UK time tonight (link in OP)
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »
If they've convinced Rockstar to show off you know what that would be amazing.