Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 957709 times)

Offline Cave_Wang

• Anny Roader
  • "Only Steven Gerrard can do that"
Re: The Tennis Thread
« Reply #2040 on: September 6, 2014, 11:30:06 pm »
Wow that was unbelievable. One of the strongest single players performances I have ever seen! Cilic was consistently brilliant.

I don't even think Federer played that poorly. He hit 11 more winners than unforced errors and still got routinely beaten in 3 sets. Since when did Cilic move and return that well he was on god mode. Too good. Plus probably the end of the top 4 as we know it now.

Offline Madan

• Chaulet. Made in Manchestah. Grand Old Team. Undecided.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2041 on: September 6, 2014, 11:33:50 pm »
Nishikori vs Cilic will be the first Grand Slam Final without a top-ten player for 12 years & 49 Grand Slams (French Open 2002).

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #2042 on: September 6, 2014, 11:36:44 pm »
That was his chance for 18 and he screwed it up.

A break up in the 3rd and he ends up losing it not even getting to a tiebreaker. That isn't good enough. Gutted and fuming at the same time. He won't win another slam now.
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline Cave_Wang

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2043 on: September 6, 2014, 11:37:04 pm »
Nishikori vs Cilic will be the first Grand Slam Final without a top-ten player for 12 years & 49 Grand Slams (French Open 2002).

Yeah that's a crazy statistic isn't it. I have watched every GS final since 2008... so its going to be very weird indeed. A tired Kei could be demolished worst than Roger I think.

Offline Cave_Wang

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2044 on: September 6, 2014, 11:38:47 pm »
That was his chance for 18 and he screwed it up.

A break up in the 3rd and he ends up losing it not even getting to a tiebreaker. That isn't good enough. Gutted and fuming at the same time. He won't win another slam now.

Nah he didn't loose it, I think it was more a case of Cilic winning it. No one in the world would have beaten Cilic today he was unplayable.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #2045 on: September 6, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »
Nah he didn't loose it, I think it was more a case of Cilic winning it. No one in the world would have beaten Cilic today he was unplayable.

Agreed. He was like that Kygrios kid at Wimbledon vs Nadal, only I think Cilic was even better. He had all the answers. Federer's serve was a non factor today. His serve, on the whole has been excellent this year with the new racket.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Cave_Wang

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2046 on: September 6, 2014, 11:52:11 pm »
Agreed. He was like that Kygrios kid at Wimbledon vs Nadal, only I think Cilic was even better. He had all the answers. Federer's serve was a non factor today. His serve, on the whole has been excellent this year with the new racket.

Yeah also reminiscent of Rosol redlining against Nadal a few years ago. Kygrios was amazing in that beatdown of Nadal, still some way short of Cilic's mesmerising play today though. I was all but resigned to the defeat about half was through set 3 it just felt inevitable. Even had burst out laughing in that final game from Cilic at just absurdity of the level of play.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: September 7, 2014, 12:04:53 am »
Yeah also reminiscent of Rosol redlining against Nadal a few years ago. Kygrios was amazing in that beatdown of Nadal, still some way short of Cilic's mesmerising play today though. I was all but resigned to the defeat about half was through set 3 it just felt inevitable. Even had burst out laughing in that final game from Cilic at just absurdity of the level of play.

43 of 91 points Cilic won today were winners. Just let that soak in for a second.

Wow. He went Kvitota Wimbledon final mode today  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: September 7, 2014, 12:19:23 am »
Whats up with all these "he won't win another slam now" comments? Federer at 33 is still there, getting to finals and semi finals, whilst Djokovic struggles on occasions, Nadal and Murray get injured. Its amazing that he is still at this level and still competing.

Why is winning 18 so important? He has won 17 majors, he has nothing left to prove. Just enjoy the little time he has left and not worry about the majors.

I am delighted that someone other than Djokovic, Nadal and Federer can now win a major.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2049 on: September 7, 2014, 12:36:10 am »
Whats up with all these "he won't win another slam now" comments? Federer at 33 is still there, getting to finals and semi finals, whilst Djokovic struggles on occasions, Nadal and Murray get injured. Its amazing that he is still at this level and still competing.

Why is winning 18 so important? He has won 17 majors, he has nothing left to prove. Just enjoy the little time he has left and not worry about the majors.

I am delighted that someone other than Djokovic, Nadal and Federer can now win a major.

Agree totally. For what it's worth I fancy Federer to win at least one more.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: September 7, 2014, 12:47:22 am »

It would just further enhance his already stellar legacy, and would probably put him out of reach of Nadal, and his record would probably stand for quite a while after this generation, since none of the best of next generation have won a slam yet, and they're approaching 23-24 themselves. 

His longevity and consistency is unlike anything I've ever seen, and his post 30 level is incredible, nothing of the sort since Agassi, and I think its fair to say an older Federer is a level above the post 30 Agassi as well. That's universally admired; its just clear that this was a massive chance for him, that's all.

At the end of the day, its mostly about majors isn't? Federer has said on multiple occasions that he still feels he has a slam in him, so its clearly important to him. Weeks at Number 1, # of Masters 1000 are all well and good, but if greatness if primarily judged by slams, then ofcourse  Federer being a match away from having the chance to face a guy in his first final (and a lot of them  just go to shite in their first finals, especially against the likes of Fed/Nadal) is going to be talked of as a big missed opportunity.

Again, credit to Cilic. One of the best performances all year by any player. In fact, from the matches I've seen, only Stan in the AO vs Djokovic impressed me as much.

He could very well win another, but Nadal's always in the final rounds of a slam (well, no longer at Wimbledon), and I don't think he'll be getting this kind a draw anytime soon. Still, its Federer, I won't discount the possibility of him getting Wimbledon #8.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2014, 12:49:33 am by torbenpiechnik19 »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2051 on: September 7, 2014, 08:25:06 am »
CBS executive who just realised he has to sell a Nishikori - Cilic final to a Monday night prime time US tv audience pictured here.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: September 7, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
CBS executive who just realised he has to sell a Nishikori - Cilic final to a Monday night prime time US tv audience pictured here.

The hype over a Fed Djokovic final was astounding as far back as the day the draw was made. I think a lot of tennis fans are quite pleased with the new names coming through. 2 new slam winners this year! Who'd have thought this last december after the big 4 had polished off the slams between them again last year.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2053 on: September 7, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »
Serena just too good. Grand Slam number 18.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2054 on: September 7, 2014, 11:17:07 pm »
Serena just too good. Grand Slam number 18.
Just too powerful. The only way she could have lost that is by fucking up herself, Wozniacki was just putting up a wall at times and hoping.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2055 on: September 8, 2014, 08:16:52 am »
Even though I am absolutely gutted to see Federer lose, I am soooo happy for Tennis as a sport that finally some newcomers get a shot at a GS title. Nishikori played wonderfully to his strengths against Djokovic and deservedly won. He beat the number 4 and the number 1 seed on his way to a GS-final, that is a great achievement in itself. And what should you say about Cilic? What a fucking performance that was... I've never seen a 2meter player play with such flair and precision. Every return put Federer under pressure while Cilic's serves were unreadable. He truly deserved this win, he was the better player allround. The Swiss commentator couldn't belive the level Cilic was playing, they were hoping for a "phase of weakness" because it is "impossible" to play that level for three sets straight. Well, there you go!

I totally don't care who wins the Slam now, because frankly both deserve it with their giant-killing. I just hope for a 5-set match so when I get home after the Switzerland-England game I can watch the end  ;D

Pity the same didn't happen in the Women's draw! Maiden slam for Wozniacki would have been great.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: September 8, 2014, 09:19:54 am »
Serena is amazing. On top form, there has never been a player better in the womens game.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: September 8, 2014, 01:59:13 pm »
Serena is amazing. On top form, there has never been a player better in the womens game.

According to Rusedski she still needs to win more slams than Graf (at least) to be considered as that :o

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2058 on: September 8, 2014, 08:56:47 pm »
According to Rusedski she still needs to win more slams than Graf (at least) to be considered as that :o

Ha ha please tell me you're joking? Did he really say that?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: September 8, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »
Ha ha please tell me you're joking? Did he really say that?

Yep he mentioned Court and Graf. Serena's phenomenal.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: September 8, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
I don't like watching her.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: September 8, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »
I don't like watching her.

What about when she plays tennis? Not my fave female tennis player but she just hammers her way past opponents.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: September 8, 2014, 09:10:18 pm »
What about when she plays tennis? Not my fave female tennis player but she just hammers her way past opponents.

That's why, she's just too powerful for her opponents, it kind of makes it an unfair fight. I may be doing her a disservice but there's numerous other female players I'd much rather watch than her, regardless of how successful she's been.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: September 8, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »
That's why, she's just too powerful for her opponents, it kind of makes it an unfair fight. I may be doing her a disservice but there's numerous other female players I'd much rather watch than her, regardless of how successful she's been.

There are many other female tennis players I prefer watching, those that are aesthetically pleasing and then the likes of Kvitova. Can't blame Serena for utilizing her skills to the best of her ability though.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2064 on: September 8, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
There are many other female tennis players I prefer watching, those that are aesthetically pleasing and then the likes of Kvitova. Can't blame Serena for utilizing her skills to the best of her ability though.

Nah of course not, just makes it difficult to appreciate when she's that much stronger than everyone else though.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: September 8, 2014, 09:20:35 pm »
Nah of course not, just makes it difficult to appreciate when she's that much stronger than everyone else though.

I don't really like watching Sharapova but her desire to win is outstanding as well (noises aside). As for Serena don't know how long she will stick around to reach the 22/24 grand slams that Rusedski thinks she needs to be the greatest.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2066 on: September 8, 2014, 10:06:18 pm »
wow,looks like stadium is half empty

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: September 8, 2014, 10:35:00 pm »
wow,looks like stadium is half empty

Not surprising. The least passionate major.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: September 8, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »

Henin is my favourite player and i dont like power players either (hence my hatred of Djokovic vs Murray matches) but Serena has so much to her game. Her power just emphasises it.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: September 8, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »
ok the way Kei is playing, he is justifying those empty seats

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: September 9, 2014, 12:06:27 am »
Fair play to Cilic!

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #2071 on: September 9, 2014, 12:08:40 am »
Cilic played like a world number 1 the whole tournament. Well deserved.
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: September 9, 2014, 12:32:43 am »
Brilliant from Čilić, gave Nishikori no chance. 3 wins against top 10 seeds without dropping a set since the QF, a top top tournament from Marin. Hopefully this will help change the reputation he has of being a choker, such a great player and an extremely nice person, deserves every bit of praise he's going to get :)

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2073 on: September 9, 2014, 01:54:44 pm »
Murray now out of the top 10.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2074 on: September 9, 2014, 02:11:12 pm »
Murray now out of the top 10.

Was it this time last year that Murray had his back op? So he should have no points to defend between now and the end of the year? Hopefully he can get a good run going and get back into the top 8 (top 4 would be a push presumably) in time for the Aussie Open.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2075 on: September 9, 2014, 02:14:32 pm »
According to the new rankings he is still number 10?

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2076 on: September 9, 2014, 02:16:19 pm »
Was it this time last year that Murray had his back op? So he should have no points to defend between now and the end of the year? Hopefully he can get a good run going and get back into the top 8 (top 4 would be a push presumably) in time for the Aussie Open.

I think it's important to qualify for the ATP Tour Finals first! He's 10th in the Race to London at the moment and it won't get easier.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/rankings/ytd-singles.aspx

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: September 10, 2014, 11:52:37 am »
According to the new rankings he is still number 10?

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

That wasn't fully up to date yesterday, Cillic still had 800 points extra to go on for winning the US open. Go back today & Murray is 11

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2078 on: October 8, 2014, 12:14:12 pm »
BUMP!

Heading towards the end of the season now, Shanghai Masters currently taking place and only a few weeks away from the Tour Finals at the O2 (which I'm going to, hurrah!).

As yet only Djonkovic, Federer and Nadal have qualified automatically. Murray is currently in 9th place but in reasonable form having won one and made the Semis in his last two tournaments. To qualify he'll most likely need to overtake one of Cilic, Berdych or Raonic as well as fend off the likes of Ferrer and Dimitrov who are just behind him. Needless to say a good run at the Shanghai Masters will help and he's won his first couple of matches. Cilic is already out.

Anyway, anyone else off to the O2?

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: October 8, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Anyway, anyone else off to the O2?

Missing it this year as I'm on holiday, but have gone the previous 2 years, got Federer v Del Potro as the singles match both times! Enjoyable day though & your likely to see a competitive game given that it's the top 8. Have you been before?