Author Topic: Manchester City vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Sun 3rd Feb, 4pm  (Read 62719 times)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Manchester City vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Sun 3rd Feb, 4pm
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:25 pm »
  vs 

vs

Cold. Wet. Miserable. Delayed. Annoyed. Frustrated and to top it all off re-routed travel. The feelings of my last jaunt up to the City of Manchester stadium and I hadn’t even got there yet. Fog brought London to a standstill so that £40 return flight was looking slimmer by the hour as an option. Changed to train and when I finally got to Manchester it was exactly as I left it from my time at university there and most other times I’d been back

Cold. Wet. Miserable.

Just before kick off news broke about Suarez and the mood of team based chatter took a different tone amongst the fans waiting to go in and take their seats in the stands. It had ruled so much of the tabloids for the months prior that the shadow cast by the whole saga was just not going away. Neither was this match so I took in the news and carried on as normal. So did Man City. First half and with about half an hour gone they were 2-0 up. At this point it seemed a few peeps around us had spotted a Robbie Savage lookalike in their fans and she was now going to be subjected to constant teasing. Sigh. There is just something so painful about seeing the ball in the back of the net when it goes against you and you’re right behind the goal. We lost 3-0 and revenge came via the Carling Cup! Their rich Sheik told all the boys in their yard that guess what they're richer than ours but we taught them. From this cup, discharged  :)

Manchester City could be seen as the blueprint for sugar daddy desiring fans. In comes a Sheik, out come the millions and in come the players and out goes the losing. If only. Most poignant about the days after Robinho’s parade and him being geographically lacking in knowledge is that it just didn’t happen overnight. In fact, they finished an almighty barn-storming table rocking 10th.

10th. Ok, so they were bought at the end of a summer window. Not a lot of business done in Jan 09 when they had the financial might and Sparky at the helm but even when they had another 2 windows the repair still didn’t happen as you’d have thought. End of the 09-10 season? 5th. Big summer spend and frugal in Jan and that was with a change of manager the month before from Sparky to Mancini. It took 4 seasons for them to conquer the league with sugar daddy’s cheque book. Rome wasn’t built in a day as the saying goes.

So with that what can we expect? Mancini will look to the facts that they are unbeaten so far this month. At home this season they’ve only lost once in the league to their neighbours Man Utd thanks to Robin Van Persie in the final minutes of the match. Pablo Zabaleta is on form for them as is the ever present Vincent Kompany and in front of them they have the quality of David Silva, Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero. Yaya Toure is away at Africa Cup of Nations as is slimmer of the year Kolo. Why Always Him is Now Almost Gone and probably will be Now Definitely Gone by the time we get to kick off.

On paper it seems like a walk in the park then  ;D

This bit seems like something out of Brendan Rodgers and our match-day magazines where it starts “I’m writing this prior to the result and performance of our upcoming match against…”. I don’t know how we’ll pan out against Arsenal and bar injuries the two matches need to be looked at as separately as possible given their contrasting styles of play. It’s not like we have a tendency to build things up ;D

By the time we get to this match against Man City we may gain players and we may lose players (as the case is for our opponents too). The drama of deadline day will have come and gone and the whispers/dodgy tweets and concocted links will be long forgotten just like the chip paper from Oldham. The only obstacles between that reality and the one we are in is in fact us. In the retrospect we feel the need to dwell and cover ourselves in a blanket of what could have been or should have been. That seems dangerous. It may even lead to ifithadntabinfor.

All is not lost. Some fans may at times be closer to Culture Club rather than Liverpool Football Club in getting on the teams back and the managers but as the song I’m referring to goes in its opening lines we should give you time to realise your crime  :wave

I don’t think Brendan wants to hurt you. I don’t think he wants to make you cry. Just remember that when they came to Anfield we gifted them a draw. A performance akin to that one, minus brainfarts, and we’ve got a real game on our hands. We are just as capable of quality and we’ll need it for 90 minutes to get a result from this match.

Our manager is currently an angry manager. Understandable given the nature of our performances and the associated frustration with the losses following strong wins. With every positive from the good performances we feel that we're about to turn a corner and get on to a road of consistency. Instead we are on a roundabout and taking the wrong exit and then the right one and then back to the wrong one again.

We'll get off it soon enough. This is a pain we've seen before and we were stronger and better for it afterwards.

Now let's go beat these blue mooners!

Oh. As always my fascination with mascots and who Mighty Red could take in a fight continues. With the Man City mascot I fear no change in the victorious path ours is on. Whoever came up with Moonchester was possibly getting higher than the Madchester massive from the heavy days of the Hacienda

Moonchester. Oh dear!

Please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:13:09 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Manchester City vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Sun 3rd Feb, 4pm
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:20 pm »
Very lyrical!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:49 pm »
Loving your confidence as you write more mate. Really finding your voice!
Yep.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:02:01 pm »
Thanks guys.

Gunnersaurus is next on my hit list  ;)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2013, 06:32:05 am »
Manchester City v Liverpool

There might be no better way to deal with the disappointment of dropping a lead against Arsenal then to play the League Champions immediately after. Although this sounds counterintuitive, the fact remains that the players will be more motivated for this game than if it were, say, QPR, so maximum effort can be expected again. However, City pose an almost completely different challenge to the one encountered with Arsenal, and how we set up in that game should in no way be an indicator of how we will set up in this one. It might be that this will be the most traditional Rodgers-system performance of the season – certainly against the top ten teams, at any rate.

City’s System –

City will probably play with a 4-2-3-1 system, but it’s a system that could cause Liverpool problems. Their “3” in the attacking midfield area play mobile and tight, and are highly skillful. With Liverpool’s propensity to lose the direct aerial battle, and with Mancini being a traditional Italian tactician, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him use the attacking midfield “3” playing off Edin Dzeko up front, with Zabaleta providing attacking width, Gael Clichy balancing the defensive width on the other side, and the attacking midfield made up of Nasri, Silva and Tevez. Garcia and Barry will possibly play the defensive mid positions, with Lescott and Nastasic anchoring the defence:

What City were so lethal at last year, though, is something they seem to be sorely missing this season – they used to be excellent at attacking quickly down the channels, with support arriving fast, and then spreading the play from one side to the other in search of an opening. This season, the attack is more individual, with a lot of burden on Silva, and Nasri to make the play, and the individualism coming from Tevez and Aguero. Dzeko, as mentioned, would lend a battering ram effect, and will be dangerous on set pieces as much as open play. Zabaleta on the attack could cause problems, although problems with a silver lining in terms of the space he leaves with his own aggressive attacking. Defensively they will press hard, but also will be happy to fall back into their own half and defend from there. They are defensively strong, with less goals per game conceded than any other team so far, with an average of 0.79 goals conceded, so defensively they will be quite strong. Attack-wise, though, they are not far off Liverpool, and in fact are relatively inefficient in comparison to their defence, scoring only 1.87 goals per game, compared to Liverpool’s 1.75

Liverpool’s System –

Liverpool can approach the game one of two ways. The first way would be to play a strict 4-2-3-1 to match City’s shape. On the face of it, this makes sense, so long as the “2-1” in the middle are Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson again. This game will be different than the Arsenal game as we are sure to play more expansively than we did on the bigger and wider Emirates pitch. What could work against us is the narrowness of the City attacking midfield, which would lead to an overload in the central zone:

With this in mind, and considering Zabaleta’s attacking tendencies, it would probably mean Enrique playing as left back and marking Zabaleta, leaving Lucas and Gerrard to look after Nasri and Tevez. This would allow Agger and Skrtel to double up on Dzeko, but would require Johnson to pinch in to help out with Silva when we lost the ball, which might dull his attacking edge, especially as Clichy can be beaten in a 1v1 situation. The front 4 would probably be Henderson, Downing, Sturridge and Suarez; but for a game like this, it might be an idea for Rodgers to put Suarez as the central forward, Sturridge coming in off the right, thus locking up Clichy on that side and with Zabaleta’s attacking runs, Downing would have a lot of space to work in. Henderson would again have to work hard to occupy Garcia and Barry, but if Downing can track back, it would release Enqrique to pinch in, and Gerrard to step to Barry and lighten the workload for Henderson.

An alternative, though, would be to do something different against City, like we did against Arsenal, and play a 3-4-1-2, with Carragher replacing Downing and going central, Enrique and Johnson as wingbacks, the same midfield three, and Suarez playing off Sturridge up front. This would force City to make a number of changes to their shape, with the possibility of Garcia dropping in to make a back three, meaning that Johnson and Enrique are now 1v1 on the City fullbacks. Skrtel and Carragher could then shadow Dzeko, leaving Agger room to step out to Nasri or Tevez. The midfield three could then match their midfield three, and the game would then come down to who’s back three could contain the other team’s forwards better. Sturridge might have extra motivation to score against City, and might be more mobile and aggressive, which would free up space for Suarez to cause some damage. An alternative to Carragher would be Wisdom, of course, with Skrtel central. Coutinho could come on for Sturridge or Henderson near the end of the game, too, with Downing as back-up for Enqrique if needed:

Additionally, too, if Liverpool 3-4-1-2 DID force City to switch, it would be likely that Nasri or a replacement (Milner?) would have to drop in to help Barry, further lightening their attacking potency. It is more likely that BR will stick with the 4-2-3-1, but a 3-4-1-2 wouldn’t be unexpected, and he has shown that he is flexible when it is needed.

Set Pieces –

City are very good at set pieces, with 6 goals from corners, and 6 goals from direct and indirect free kicks. Dzeko particularly is a threat, so marking on set-pieces has to be a lot better than it was against United, Oldham and Arsenal. City are slightly more efficient in attack than Liverpool, so it could be another tight game, but there is a sense that this game, albeit against the League Champions, offers more potential for a win than the Arsenal game did. A lot might rest on the shape the team takes up, how the forwards are positioned, and how we cope with the City attacking midfield and their set-pieces.
Better looking than Samie.

royhendo

« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2013, 08:36:05 am »
It's a treat to get all bases covered - many thanks all, it's very much appreciated.

Please note that RAWK will mute anyone posting just a formation in a Preview thread until the day after the match is over. This is to improve the quality of preview replies. Formations posted alongside rational comments and debate are exempt. Thanks, RAWK.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2013, 09:25:02 am »
Think we might sneak a win here, City are under a load of pressure to catch there neighbours up.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2013, 09:34:53 am »
I think it's the right time to be playing them, although they are a different beast at home than they are away. It's going to be a very, very difficult game but I think if we get our pressing right and force errors they're a team that can be got at.

I fancy Suarez to cause their defence problems, either him scoring or creating space for someone else to.

I'd go for the same team as the arsenal game as long as they're all fit. Carra deserves another start.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2013, 09:36:34 am »
Great OP thanks.

Regarding Pop's post there were a few slight variations to Mancini's team selection that we could see.
Firstly if City play a back three it is likely we will see Clichy play as the left sided centre back with either Kolarov or Milner coming in for one of the wing back positions. This was evident in the F.A cup match against Stoke.

Against QPR Mancini played Milner with Barry shielding Lescott & Garcia in central defence.
Tevez has been out of form recently & with Aguero getting his 1st full 90 minutes against QPR (back from injury) we might see him start ahead of Tevez. Dzeko was relegated to the bench against QPR & it was no surprise that he came on for Nasri. Tevez soon after got the hook for Rodwell. That substitution certainly eyebrow raising when the game was still 0-0.

Zabaleta is certainly their in form player & he had several goal scoring opportunities against QPR after getting the winner at Stoke. Pressing Henderson on Zabaleta is an alternative solution to Downing or even Enrique pushed ahead of Johnson.

I would like us to play to our strengths & do what we do best. Keep possession, press & create chances.

With that in mind I would like to see:

Reina

Johnson         Skrtel      Agger            Enrique

Lucas             

Gerrard             Allen        <<<Hendo

Suarez>>>     

Sturridge       

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
I love the quality of this forum. Looking forward to your visit as I always have done for the last god knows how many years. Even when David Fairclough would come on and run riot. It was a brand of football that you could admire without any rancour at having lost to it. One of my finest memories of games at Maine Road was us beating you 3-1 in October 1977. That was a Liverpool team at the height of its powers, who went 1-0 up but were steamrollered in the second half after one of the best 45 minutes I've ever seen City play. I think Kidd, Royle & Channon scored the goals for us that day and the atmosphere was incredible.

But the last three seasons have seen the tables turned a bit with two 3-0 wins for us at The Etihad plus the entirely uncharacteristic sight of a Liverpool team 'parking the bus' for a 0-0 in 2009/10. Despite you having a lot of possession last season, you were largely ineffectual and I think it was the poorest display I've seen from a Liverpool side for many years.

But things are looking up for you I think, despite the result at Oldham. You seem to have a settled first XI and they played well on Wednesday night. You looked great going forward but less confident when on the back foot. And therein lies the problem. The better teams have the ability to press and probe and the fact you haven't beaten anyone in the top half yet probably demonstrates that for all Rodgers' passing football, you're not quite as good at winning the ball back. You're also quite narrow, which will suit us if you try to play and don't simply sit.

Our performance at Anfield was probably our poorest of the season in many ways and we were a bit lucky to escape with a point, although your failings were as much to blame for that. After a shaky first half of the season we're also looking more settled and haven't conceded yet in 2013. But we're not scoring as often as we were last season and both Tevez & Aguero are not in the sort of goal scoring form they're capable of. Dzeko blows hot and cold but at least he's scoring consistently.

So what will Mancini do? I suspect it depends on Kompany's fitness. If VK doesn't play, he may drop Garcia into the back four, as he's right-sided, alongside Lescott. Or he may start with a back three, with Clichy, Lescott & Zabaleta plus Kolarov & Milner as wingbacks. I suspect the back three, in order to keep your fullbacks quiet. In midfield it will be Barry, Silva & probably Nasri, with Dzeko and Aguero up front. We will press you high up the pitch which hopefully will disrupt you. All things considered I think it will be a tighter game than the last couple of seasons but I'll go for a 2-1 win to us.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2013, 09:56:56 am by ManchesterBlue »

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
its weird at the start of the week of was far more confident of a result against City then I was against Arsenal even though City are far more superior, maybe its because of Arsenal's pace and the fact we dont get much joy from them anymore. City at Anfield is normally a banker and Mancini has never won on Merseyside in his career but at home they are formindable but yet I seem confident we can get something there. I just hope we can do what we done 1st half Wed night and that is pressure them from the off and but them on the back foot, we seen what it done to Arsenal and hopefully we will have the engery levels to do it again. 1st goal is crucial, City tend to win every game when they go ahead at home, so if we can manage to get our noses in front first Iam confident that we can end a very testing week well and head into the coming months in good shape for the battle for 4th

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2013, 10:00:06 am »
It is a good time to play them, thevgamevwill be another open one so chances on goal should be many, think it will be down to the most clinical will take 3 points.

Reina
Johno Carragher Skrtel Enrique
Lucas
Henderson Gerrard Downing
Sturridge Suarez

Agger wontvbevable to compete with Dzecko and Wisdom will be turned inside out by Silva leaving gaping holes on the right side.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12 on: February 1, 2013, 10:10:17 am »
For me, we go with our form players.

We did really well against Arsenal, so same again. No need to drop any of those attacking players. I'd probably bring in Enrique for Wisdom and switch Johnson to RB. The only real tough call is whether we stick with Carra or bring back Skrtel. I personally think Skrtel will feel like he has a point to prove, as well as making up for his back-pass in the earlier game. So I'd bring him back in for Carra.

No pissing about with 3-5-2 or any of that nonsense. We could win this.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: February 1, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
I've been on these boards for quite a few years now, and have to say that Harinder's and PoP's contributions, in their different ways, are amongst the best of the bunch - one to restore faith in what it means to be a fan, the other to give atctical analysis that is comprehensive but digestible. Great work guys!
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2013, 10:23:35 am »
It was the disappointing thing about the Arsenal game that we needed to pick up 3/4 points from these two games and now that has to be from City, thereby handing United the title, so be it.

Whilst Toure is away and De Jong no longer there I think that is where we can win this one, along with Sturridge and Suarez both playing. What we must not do is, what we did at Oldham, play a midfield that can be overwhelmed, because City will cash in. Johnson and Enrique can give us the width, I'd much prefer to see us packing midfield with Gerrard having the option of a looser role. Part of this will be about attitude too, in the second half against United we showed what pressing a team can do, we started with fear and desperation made us do what we need to do anyway, if a little cautiously at first.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #15 on: February 1, 2013, 10:33:27 am »
I think the only change we'll see is Enrique for Wisdom and even that change may not happen as Enrique is just back from injury.

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #16 on: February 1, 2013, 10:36:58 am »
Is kompany back?

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #17 on: February 1, 2013, 10:38:40 am »
Is kompany back?

not known yet but probably not.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: February 1, 2013, 10:42:01 am »
It's a great time to play City I think. No Kompany (Due back 24th) and they're missing there heartbeat from last season, Yaya Toure. If we are up for the game, as we should be playing against the champions then I can see us doing well. Not going to say much more as I don't want to jinx it.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline Jeffe

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: February 1, 2013, 10:42:46 am »
I kind of hope we play 3 at the back. I think having 3 CBs would go a long way in closing off space from their attackers and it would help Johnson & Enrique finding space behind Clichy & Zab. At this moment I think City are not that strong mentally and we may actually have a chance of getting a result there but we need to have a near-perfect match.

Reina

Skrtel  Carra  Agger
Johnson                               Enrique

Lucas  Gerrard
                    Henderson

Suarez
                     Sturridge

I actually hope Henderson comes a bit deeper at times than where he was against Arsenal. He scored a great goal largely because of where he was playing but we sure could have used his energy in our half when Ramsey & Wilshere we're dominating our midfield.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #20 on: February 1, 2013, 10:43:14 am »
Coutinho will have Zabaleta in knots.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2013, 10:44:46 am »
If we try and play compact and contain them like we did against Arsenal then they will rip us apart.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 1, 2013, 10:47:22 am »
Brendan has said that Coutinho won't be ready for the weekend, so I guess the same team against Arsenal with Enrique as LB instead of Wisdom (and Johnson RB of course).

Actually, I think we will be more comfortable playing against Man City away compared to Arsenal, as our slow approach to games (I mean short passes, not that many breaks and keeping possession) means that teams with pace will hurt us. Arsenal is Man city isn't. Hopefully we get a point and look forward to the very winnable last 13 games.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #23 on: February 1, 2013, 11:00:32 am »
Brendan has said that Coutinho won't be ready for the weekend, so I guess the same team against Arsenal with Enrique as LB instead of Wisdom (and Johnson RB of course).

Actually, I think we will be more comfortable playing against Man City away compared to Arsenal, as our slow approach to games (I mean short passes, not that many breaks and keeping possession) means that teams with pace will hurt us. Arsenal is Man city isn't. Hopefully we get a point and look forward to the very winnable last 13 games.

Asked whether the midfielder could feature when Liverpool travel to City on Sunday, Rodgers revealed that an immediate debut is unlikely.

"I very much doubt so. He's been recovering from an injury that he had in Milan. We'll assess him over the next number of days and see how he goes."

there's little chance.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #24 on: February 1, 2013, 11:02:18 am »
I fear this game.

I think we almost played our best 11, against Arsenal besides Skrtel. Worryingly, Suarez & Gerrard looked really tired at the end of the game. We used 1 sub against Arsenal, and that was Enrique for Sturridge.

If Enrique starts, we can shift johnson back to the right hand side where he will be a little more effective against Clichy. Zabaleta vs Enrique will be a good fight too.

If we're going to get a result, we're going to need a big performance from the likes of Sturridge (old club!) and Downing. These are players who may be our freshest and could have the edge tactically in the game.

The bench will be important, as the pressure is on Man City to keep up with Man Utd. With West Brom and Zenit coming up, do we have enough Juice to push on? I really didnt like the way Wilshere, waltzed though our midfield with pace and power. Is 2 games in 3-4 days too much for Lucas? Is Allen ready to step up? Will Coutinho be ready to come off the bench?

The only hope we have is that Man City are under-strength with Kompany and Yaya Toure are replaced with Nastasic & Javi Garcia. They no longer have Balotelli to come off the bench and its very debatable whether they will plump for Dzeko or Aguero (or both) for this match.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #25 on: February 1, 2013, 11:12:57 am »
Great OP by Harinder and follow-up by PoP.

Is kompany back?
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany could be out of action for another three weeks, according to City boss Roberto Mancini.

Kompany missed the midweek draw with QPR with a calf strain picked up against Stoke last Saturday, and it would seem he is out until after City's FA Cup tie against Leeds on 17 February.

Mancini said: "Vinny is out. I hope he can recover after the FA Cup."

For some reason I am more confident about this game then the Arsenal game.

Haven't been too impressed with City this season and we showed at Anfield we can cause them problems.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 1, 2013, 11:18:17 am »
Like the OP a lot mate, another decent writer emerges, RAWK is spoiling us lately.
 :)

Last Tuesday as we approached these two games I was most concerned about the trip to the Emirates. Whilst City possess the 'stronger' team, I always felt that should Arsenal get their passing game to click we'd struggle. And so the second half proved.
City however seem to have some king of hold over us at their ground lately, I always think back to when I was in my teens/20's and we'd regularly spank them, home and away, stand out for me was a Sammy Lee thunderbolt, I'm convinced it was one of a 3-0, at Maine road, however I'm sure Crosby Nick will be along shortly to set me right. :D
Yet again I find myself feeling quite positive thoughts, and almost willing myself to believe we'll beat them, or at least stop them winning. With good reason this time around I think. I hope Brendan gives Coutinho a run out, I'm desperate to see our latest aquisition.
Hopefully, the cameo that Enrique got at the Emirates signals a full strength selection come 4 o'clock Sunday.

Team should really pick itself, I think we may well see Allen brought back for this one, as I think he'll be afforded more time and space to do his 'thing'. The other headache Brendan may have is whether to keep Carra in the side, or bring Skrtel back. Tough one this. I really wouldn't like to call it either way, you'd think Martin is physically better equipped to marshall Dzecko, however Carra did nothing to suggest he shouldn't keep his place in the starting lineup. Maybe this is one of those games that calls for a 3 at the back, with Carra maybe playing as a slightly withdrawn sweeper. This would enable us to sit the defensive unit that extra 10 yds up the pitch.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #27 on: February 1, 2013, 11:21:53 am »
No Kompany or Yaya is huggggeeee for us.

Kompany not really as a player but more so as their leader on the pitch.
Toure is the beast in the middle and there's a real opening there for us with him not playing.

Still, this will be a tough game, playing the champions away from home, but I really do believe we can get the win here more so than the Arsenal game.
We do have an almost full fit squad for this and we now have plenty of options to choose from, especially in creativity and attack, so i'm really confident going into this game.

If we do get the win, then it will only confirm the inevitable, the title to the shite half of Manchester.
To be honest with you, I really couldn't give a fuck if they did win it, all i care about is LFC putting in a great performance and hopefully getting the desired result week in week out.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #28 on: February 1, 2013, 11:44:17 am »
No Kompany or Yaya is huggggeeee for us.

Kompany not really as a player but more so as their leader on the pitch.
Toure is the beast in the middle and there's a real opening there for us with him not playing.
Kompany as a player is a loss as Sturridge & Suarez will be one of the biggest tests our defence has had this season and his positioning is superb.

Toure is less of a loss as he just hasn't been that good this season. He's a deep-lying midfielder rather than a defensive one but he hasn't had the same impact in coming forward this season as he did last. .Milner has come in and is much more mobile & versatile, although he doesn't have the same end product of Yaya at his best.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #29 on: February 1, 2013, 11:46:05 am »
Reina
Johnson Carra Agger Enrique
Lucas Gerrard Henderson Downing
Sturridge Suarez

Fancy our chances more against these than Arsenal to be honest. We usually give them a hard game and Sturridge gives us that extra option up front now. Although Luis did a good job on Wednesday would like to see him closer to Sturridge on Sunday. City don't worry me in the same way as Arsenal do with regard to the amount of pressure they are able to put us under so I'm hoping for at least a point here. Vital for our confidence to get something out of this.
Would be nice for Coutinho to get 15 mins if we're behind but I doubt he'll be on the bench listening to what Brendan said.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2013, 11:48:09 am by redprodigal »

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 1, 2013, 12:05:10 pm »
If we play the same way as against Arsenal it could end pretty nasty just with the same conclusion that it doesn´t work to sit back against a dominating passing side.

If we try to play a high defending line, pressing and try to pass the ball, stay calm, despite this to be a difficult thing to ask for, it for sure will be a very important lesson to learn for the players in terms of HOW to play your own game against bigger teams.

The result will probably be the same anyway with the quality of our line up at the moment.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #31 on: February 1, 2013, 12:07:09 pm »
We're going to have to be on the top of our game for this fixture. City will be no mugs.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #32 on: February 1, 2013, 12:09:35 pm »
Best of luck.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 1, 2013, 12:18:26 pm »
Kompany is out, and with Yaya also out we need to keep them on the back foot - Silva/Nasri etc. don't like to track back, so we need to keep forcing them backwards.  Lescott wont relish coming up against Luis.

The key to this is stopping them attack, as lets face it it's a very potent front 4/5.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 1, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »
Kompany is out, and with Yaya also out we need to keep them on the back foot - Silva/Nasri etc. don't like to track back, so we need to keep forcing them backwards.  Lescott wont relish coming up against Luis.

The key to this is stopping them attack, as lets face it it's a very potent front 4/5.

Easier said than done isn't it. I'd like to think we could but we haven't kept the ball at all well away against the top half teams as we are really struggling to play around the initial press on our defence and our own pressing game has to suffer from some players playing their 3rd game in a week. It's far more likely it'll be another backs to the wall with hopeful counter attacks.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 1, 2013, 12:29:16 pm »
Easier said than done isn't it. I'd like to think we could but we haven't kept the ball at all well away against the top half teams as we are really struggling to play around the initial press on our defence and our own pressing game has to suffer from some players playing their 3rd game in a week. It's far more likely it'll be another backs to the wall with hopeful counter attacks.

Which begs the question, do we set ourselves up to play deep, and counter, or do we persevere with what we've been doing ?

Personally, I'd rather stick with what we've been trying.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #36 on: February 1, 2013, 12:33:57 pm »
I really fancy our chances against city more than against arsenal and with kompany and toure missing we can go there and win , just one change for me Enrique for Wisdom .
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 1, 2013, 12:36:23 pm »
Which begs the question, do we set ourselves up to play deep, and counter, or do we persevere with what we've been doing ?

Personally, I'd rather stick with what we've been trying.

We haven't been trying it though. Not away in the big games. We tried at the start of the season and out played City and United at Anfield but didn't win. I don't think we've tried to do that in the big games since. Not sure why. Maybe because of the pressure on Rodgers to try and get results he's had to do it. We all know if far easier against teams better than you to just sit deep, counter and see it you can nick it. Maybe its just against the lower teams they drop off and let us build from the back and we can get into our possession game and play our football but against top teams they go hunting for us and we aren't good enough yet to play under that pressure on the ball.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 1, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »
Best of luck.
Not that often you want us to win but Sunday is different eh ?

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 1, 2013, 12:37:59 pm »
Great OP and thanks again PhaseofPlay for the insightful look at formations/systems/options.

I'm strangely calm about this game.  We have struggled against them at theirs in recent years (at least in the league) and have been on the receiving end of some real beatings (3-0 two seasons running).  But all the pressure is on them.  Of course we could do with a result to keep up the pace on the others fighting for 4th, but we know that 4th is such a longshot that really most expect us to lose this game.

And that's the thing.  Man City are expected to win.  They are way behind in the league and while they overturned a deficit last season, they just don't look up to it this year.  They have to win on Sunday.  Pure and simple.

We need to come out fighting from the off to put City under pressure.  We seem to struggle with confidence when we don't have the ball (see Arsenal) and invite teams onto us.

Want a win.  Will take a draw.  Expecting a defeat.