Author Topic: DOTA 2  (Read 17525 times)

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
DOTA 2
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:43 pm »
So, is anyone playing it? A friend of mine introduced me to it some time ago, and I've been hooked since then. Badly.  ;D

I have a couple of invites, so if anyone is interested, PM me.  :wave
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline IlliniKopite

• Kemlynite
Re: DOTA 2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »
Hooked as well.  Easy to learn, nigh impossible to master.  I've got a good number of invites, as well, if anyone is interested!

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:29:21 pm »
Easy to learn, nigh impossible to master. 

Oh yes. I'm amazed at how deep the game is.

PM me your nick so I can add you on Steam?  :wave
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »
If you want to have a good laugh watch SingSing's stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/sing_sing
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »
Anyone watching The Invitational 3 qualifiers?

BTW, I'm talking with another player during a game, and when he finds out I'm from Uruguay he goes nuts and screams "LUIS SUAREZ!!!" You find Reds everywhere.  ;D

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:16 pm »
Really getting into this. Skywrath Mage is pure lol to play as.

Offline HoinkDoink

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »
I have 25 extra copies if anyone wants to play lol
Liverpool FC
Stop for the Klopp!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=294839.0 - RAWK Soccer Manager Thread, Come Play

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:09:16 pm »
I've got around 30. Stop spamming me Valve!
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
Really getting into this. Skywrath Mage is pure lol to play as.

He really is a glass cannon, isn't he? A nuker through and through, but so fragile...

I'm currently exploring the joys of annoying people with Weaver.  :P

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »
He really is a glass cannon, isn't he? A nuker through and through, but so fragile...

I'm currently exploring the joys of annoying people with Weaver.  :P

Yeah, soft as hell. Hero of choice at the moment is Alchemist, really is a lot of fun to play as.

Played a game last night where my team dominated the start and late game, but the middle belonged solely to the Ursa on the other team. Ridiculous health and damage output.

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 10:40:49 pm »
Played some really frustrating games tonight where we built up a really good early advantage and at least two players on the other team just bitchquit out. I know it can be a long game and people have constraints on their time but I find it as much fun to claw back games as dominate them.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »
Yeah, soft as hell. Hero of choice at the moment is Alchemist, really is a lot of fun to play as.

Played a game last night where my team dominated the start and late game, but the middle belonged solely to the Ursa on the other team. Ridiculous health and damage output.

I <3 Ursa. The Teddy Bear from Hell. Went 20-3 on my last game with him.  ;D

I've only played Alchemist a few times, but he's a gold-farming machine. You can go for ancient creeps at level 1, even (check YouTube for a step by step).

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »
I <3 Ursa. The Teddy Bear from Hell. Went 20-3 on my last game with him.  ;D

I've only played Alchemist a few times, but he's a gold-farming machine. You can go for ancient creeps at level 1, even (check YouTube for a step by step).

Not surprised! Ursa seems like one of those that if you play him well he's a monster. I had an 8/1/20 game last night as Skywrath Mage and then I see shit like this and just sigh:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pe575SzW2Ak" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pe575SzW2Ak</a>

Had no idea you could do that with Alchemist but not hugely surprised. Really enjoy playing as Alchemist, his ultimate is so spammable, but a lot of the friends I play with haven't clued into the finer points of supporting and not just auto targeting creeps yet which makes him harder to play.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:05 am »
JFT 96

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #14 on: June 9, 2013, 10:55:58 pm »
Down 4v5 after one of our team rage quit because we were getting chewed up early game, final score 42-57 and we still won... this is what keeps Dota interesting for me; you can swing pretty shitty games at times.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #15 on: June 9, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »
Is this the same game that was on Warcraft 3 online?

I used to play that loads before university.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
Is this the same game that was on Warcraft 3 online?

I used to play that loads before university.

It's an updated version developed by Icefrog (the lead developer for Dota 1) and Valve. Every change to Dota 1 is ported to Dota 2 in a matter of days. The Source-engine graphics are very good, and don't impose heavy system requirements--you can comfortably run this on Intel Graphics if you switch off a few visual settings.

Though the game is still officially in Beta status, it has over 300k players online on a constant basic, with more than 3 million unique users playing it every month. All you need to play is a Valve account, as the game is free to play. The business model involves microtransactions, but they are only for cosmetic modification: none of them affect gameplay.

The game has a lively competitive scene, with plenty of sponsored tournaments. Valve is hosting The International 3 this coming August, with a prize of well over 2 million dollars.

In case you haven't seen it, here's some footage of the game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UoYSqOh710w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UoYSqOh710w</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxE-e5OrtHM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CxE-e5OrtHM</a>

If you are interested, PM me and I can send you an invite.  :wave

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 10:40:38 am »
Would be interested in Dota, but my laptop wouldn't run it so I've run off to awesomenaughts (got tired of league). Seems vaguely interesting though - I don't really get how it's so much harder (Dota I mean) then league - if anything the extended time for cc and other buffs to work seems to make it look barely comparable. But hey thats just me. Awesomenaughts for the win.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
Beast master and Elder Titan are brutal in this.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 02:09:54 pm »
Would be interested in Dota, but my laptop wouldn't run it so I've run off to awesomenaughts (got tired of league). Seems vaguely interesting though - I don't really get how it's so much harder (Dota I mean) then league - if anything the extended time for cc and other buffs to work seems to make it look barely comparable. But hey thats just me. Awesomenaughts for the win.

What are your laptop's hardware specs? Dota 2 has very light requirements.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:14 am »
What are your laptop's hardware specs? Dota 2 has very light requirements.

Hmm... well my laptop can struggle with lol at times. It can play portal 2 on lowest and starcraft 2 on lowest - but the big fights just aren't watchable. So I dunno if dota could run, but if it could I would probably consider giving it a go.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:56 am »
Hmm... well my laptop can struggle with lol at times.

Your laptop has no sense of humour
JFT 96

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 04:19:30 am »
Do add on steam if you're serious about playing, always looking for good players to stack with - pm me for ign. I'm currently fluctuating between H and VH skill brackets and looking for core players to consolidate in the VH bracket.

Playing on SEA / CN servers now but I could probably handle the lag if we search EU / USW. Won't be ideal but it's playable.

In other news, Dreamhack semifinals on yesterday afternoon - Alliance v Dignitas. The games were awesome, does anyone know the result of games 2 and/or 3 because I had to stop watching game 2 halfway.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 04:22:42 am »

It's really gimmicky though I don't like carries who do that. Comparable to Medu ancient stacking, you lose so much gpm / xpm by not laning the safe with a sitter.

Sure if you're uninterrupted farming you can snowball quickly but your team is 4v5 throughout the laning phase (and will probably lose the early game), and at higher levels of play the radiant ancients are going to be warded from early.

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 11:30:07 am »
Having a lot of fun playing as Puck at the moment, his ability to initiate with orb > rift > ulti is crazy.

A friend plays as Slark and it's such a weird character - is anyone comparable in terms of hit and run ganking? Late game he's almost impossible to kill short of silly mistakes.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »
It's really gimmicky though I don't like carries who do that. Comparable to Medu ancient stacking, you lose so much gpm / xpm by not laning the safe with a sitter.

Sure if you're uninterrupted farming you can snowball quickly but your team is 4v5 throughout the laning phase (and will probably lose the early game), and at higher levels of play the radiant ancients are going to be warded from early.

4v5 early on is not a horrible thing if your team prepared for it. For example, send Bounty Hunter or Weaver alone to hard lane, ward the river so gank attempts can be spotted, and it should be fine. Plus, that character will reach level 6 faster.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »
Your laptop has no sense of humour

Another tragic side effect of it's inherent oldness.

Offline Historical Fool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:56 am »
4v5 early on is not a horrible thing if your team prepared for it. For example, send Bounty Hunter or Weaver alone to hard lane, ward the river so gank attempts can be spotted, and it should be fine. Plus, that character will reach level 6 faster.

Yeah not when I'm queueing solo though. It's normally hard to trust pubs to solo mid, much less to solo hardlane - it hardly ever turns out well. Normally I take the 1 or 2 role if I'm playing with friends but I solo offlane a fair bit as well.

Ancient farming from early is starting to get some viability though I agree. Did you catch the alienware cup? Lots of WR and to a lesser extent tinker ancients from 1, was quite interesting to see them sacrifice the hardlane just to farm. Think it was Na'Vi with Funn1k on the WR, can't remember the tinker.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 9, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »
Is anyone watching The International 3?

There have some amazing games so far: Na'Vi stomping a team withing 15 minutes, IG and DK engaging in Dota's version of trench warfare (longest game ever, clocking in at 98.59 minutes), or Alliance and LGD doing a base race with rapiers...

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »
Last night's games between DK and Alliance, with DK taking the first game of the tournament off Alliance, were really good.

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 12:48:13 am »
Just got onto steam and am in the waiting line to be able to download DOTA 2  :-\ I'm 3921 last time I checked, anyone have any idea how long that will take till I can download it?
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:28 am »
Just got onto steam and am in the waiting line to be able to download DOTA 2  :-\ I'm 3921 last time I checked, anyone have any idea how long that will take till I can download it?

Not long, considering the player base has nearly doubled to almost 6 million active players in about a month...

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »
The final was fucking amazing, especially the last game with s4's million dollar dream coil !!
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:24 pm »
The viewership on Twitch for the tournament was nuts.  500,000+ concurrent, unique viewers.

I just wish I knew more about the game; I had fun switching over to it between UMG CoD matches.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:25 pm »
The viewership on Twitch for the tournament was nuts.  500,000+ concurrent, unique viewers.

I just wish I knew more about the game; I had fun switching over to it between UMG CoD matches.

It's never late to join, considering it's free.  ;)

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »
Final game of TI3:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8HBr1EGX1I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-8HBr1EGX1I</a>

And the million dollar move:

Spoiler

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0zE8DcxpT4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/x0zE8DcxpT4</a>

[close]

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 08:19:27 pm »
This International was the first time I've seen this genre (dota 2, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth), and professional gaming in general, provide genuine entertainment. Props to Na`Vi for the insane comebacks against TongFu and Orange, and to Alliance for their comeback in the final match.

Hey, BBC even put it on the front page of the "tech" section. Cool.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23664107

Don't play the game myself, but I used to play Dota back in the Warcraft 3 days. I've always thought the genre is fighting an uphill battle when it comes to professional gaming because the games inherently tend to "snowball" and comebacks are very rare. The excitement of this tournament has proved me wrong.

Valve has done an incredible job with the organization. If you take into account twitch, in-game viewership, Chinese streams, plus the television in Sweden, the final series between Alliance and Na`Vi had over one million concurrent viewers. And I bet they weren't disappointed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:21:24 pm by Ryba »

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:28 pm »
Don't play the game myself, but I used to play Dota back in the Warcraft 3 days.

You should. Just saying...  ;)

(Did I mention it's free?)

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »
Yeah it's free, but it's fooking terrible. I couldn't think of anything more boring than this game.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 05:47:30 pm »
Yeah it's free, but it's fooking terrible. I couldn't think of anything more boring than this game.

Great post.

This is a pretty funny clip of Korean announcers of that final.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkHVLeR72b4?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wkHVLeR72b4?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3</a>
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/