Author Topic: Favourite Quotes  (Read 35436 times)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Favourite Quotes
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:33 pm »
I can't see a British general saying that....

(maybe I'm wrong)

Most of them probably not. Mind you, maybe if they did we wouldn't have lost our last two wars...

He also said "None of the widely touted new technologies and weapons systems "would have helped me in the last three years [in Iraq and Afghanistan]. But I could have used cultural training [and] language training. I could have used more products from American universities [who] understood the world does not revolve around America and [who] embrace coalitions and allies for all of the strengths that they bring us."

I suspect he's an extremely intelligent man.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #321 on: June 26, 2012, 07:54:11 pm »
Some of those Mattis quotes are fucking class.

Almost hollywoodesque.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #322 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Children included, I suppose. Can't be too careful.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: June 26, 2012, 10:36:18 pm »
Children included, I suppose. Can't be too careful.

You do have to plan ahead with kids, they're much smaller targets than adults and quite a bit nippier.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #324 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:21 pm »
You do have to plan ahead with kids, they're much smaller targets than adults and quite a bit nippier.

Well, he did say everyone he met, so I'm imagining barbeques and dinner parties. You're right, they can be slippery in a crowd.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:33 pm »
Well, he did say everyone he met, so I'm imagining barbeques and dinner parties. You're right, they can be slippery in a crowd.

It was advice to his Marines during their tour in Iraq. Very good advice I suspect.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2012, 11:21:37 pm »
Some more military themed ones..

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly"  - A seriously hard nut

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today" - Admiral Beatty at Jutland on observing first his own flagship HMS Lion get badly hit, then HMS Indefatigable followed soon after by HMS Queen Mary getting hit and both of them subsequently violently exploding and sinking with almost total loss of their crews, and then HMS Princess Royal too also get badly hit.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2012, 11:29:43 pm »
Some more military themed ones..

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly"  - A seriously hard nut

I'm my opinion, Sir, any officer who goes into action without his sword is inproperly dressed - Possibly the hardest man who's ever lived

He also apparently said 'if it wasn't for those damned Yanks we might have dragged this war out for another ten years'.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2012, 11:39:25 pm »
I'm my opinion, Sir, any officer who goes into action without his sword is inproperly dressed - Possibly the hardest man who's ever lived

He also apparently said 'if it wasn't for those damned Yanks we might have dragged this war out for another ten years'.

Probably right. Any of the characters involved in the private wars in the Balkans were in a league of their own, most of which we'll never know the full account of. (David Niven was there for a while, I read once he was an accomplished neck slitter, as was Anthony Quayle and also Christopher Lee, possibly the last one still living from them all)

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:23 am »
"Oh I go to the pub, I drink 10 pints, and I get really plastered,
Then I go home and beat the wife, I'm a northern bastard..."
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #330 on: June 27, 2012, 01:22:33 am »

“Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.”
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Shannon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
You may kill the revolutionary but never the revolution

"“If a man has not found something worth fighting for than he is not fit to live.” - Martin Luther King.

" We have no right to believe that freedom can be won without struggle." Che Guevera.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Martin Luther King

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #332 on: June 27, 2012, 06:45:11 am »
People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people. - Mark (David Mitchell) from Peep Show.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2012, 06:47:12 am »
Infact it was Super Hans. Which makes the quote far more amusing to me.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2012, 11:07:21 am »
“I think had Pirlo played poorly, it might have affected the Italians’ performance.”   Roy Hodgson, 24th June 2012 

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:38 am »
Some inspiration for what usually happens on here.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:06 am »
"Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time and you' ll have the time of your life"

"If you can not take a joke you 're doomed"

Billy Connolly

Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »
"Suck my cock" Ron Jeremy, 2001

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2012, 05:02:17 pm »
"If your nose runs, and your feet smell, you are upside down".

Joe Walsh
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »
"The fact that slaughter [battle] is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but [it does] not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later someone will come along with a sharp sword and hack off our arms."
-Carl Von Clausewitz

France: "We do not want the English because they would destroy European Integration."
The Dutch and Belgians: "Do you want that European Integration?"
France: " Positively Not."
-Diolague of the EEC in Brussels 1963.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2012, 10:51:41 am »
Not sure as to the legitimacy of this, but it still rings true:

"Northland College (NZ) principal John Tapene has offered the following words from a judge who regularly deals with youth. "Always we hear the cry from teenagers 'What can we do, where can we go?'

... My answer is, "Go home, mow the lawn, wash the windows, learn to cook, build a raft, get a job, visit the sick, study your lessons, and after you've finished, read a book."

"Your town does not owe you recreational facilities and your parents do not owe you fun. The world does not owe you a living, you owe the world something. You owe it your time, energy and talent so that no one will be at war, in poverty or sick and lonely again."

"In other words, grow up, stop being a cry baby, get out of your dream world and develop a backbone, not a wishbone. Start behaving like a responsible person. You are important and you are needed. It's too late to sit around and wait for somebody to do something someday. Someday is now and that somebody is you..."

On further investigation it seems it was written nearly 50 years ago by a juvenile court judge, Philip B. Gilliam.

Source: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1908&dat=19831216&id=30grAAAAIBAJ&sjid=29UEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1457,8085855
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:02:54 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:03 am »
Not sure of the legitimacy of this, but it still rings true:

"Northland College (NZ) principal John Tapene has offered the following words from a judge who regularly deals with youth. "Always we hear the cry from teenagers 'What can we do, where can we go?'

... My answer is, "Go home, mow the lawn, wash the windows, learn to cook, build a raft, get a job, visit the sick, study your lessons, and after you've finished, read a book."

"Your town does not owe you recreational facilities and your parents do not owe you fun. The world does not owe you a living, you owe the world something. You owe it your time, energy and talent so that no one will be at war, in poverty or sick and lonely again."

"In other words, grow up, stop being a cry baby, get out of your dream world and develop a backbone, not a wishbone. Start behaving like a responsible person. You are important and you are needed. It's too late to sit around and wait for somebody to do something someday. Someday is now and that somebody is you..."

I like that one mate. Our teachers/parents should start quoting that ASAP.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
I like that one mate. Our teachers/parents should start quoting that ASAP.

It's a corker, common sense, but still something that people today (not just teenagers) still can't get a fucking grasp of.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:45 pm »
Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. Cracker, that one.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #344 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:16 pm »
Saying a thing doesn't mean we know it, and knowing a thing doesn't mean we accept it. A child says it, a grownup knows it and a mature person accepts it.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: June 28, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
"The 5 Giant Evils that can cripple a nation are want, disease, ignorance, squalor and idleness"

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #346 on: June 28, 2012, 07:35:26 pm »
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what the hell just happened"

Phil Harris
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
Favourite Quotes
« Reply #347 on: June 28, 2012, 07:43:18 pm »
"Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
Favourite Quotes
« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:01 pm »

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2012, 10:19:45 pm »
"it's only cheating if you get caught" Al Bundy

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: June 30, 2012, 05:34:20 am »
A bloke I know was still living at home at thirty years of age and staggered in one Sunday morning at 7 am after a particularly heavy session, and was greeted at the front door by his mother.

"Kevin, you're drunk again".

"Ah ah, so would you be if you drank as much as I did" was his lege
ndary reply

same fellah the next night arrives home. Wife looks at him
 And says" look at you coming home half drunk.What reason do you have tonight?
He replies ..."I ran out of money"

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: July 2, 2012, 08:19:56 am »
Probably right. Any of the characters involved in the private wars in the Balkans were in a league of their own, most of which we'll never know the full account of. (David Niven was there for a while, I read once he was an accomplished neck slitter, as was Anthony Quayle and also Christopher Lee, possibly the last one still living from them all)

I must apologise to you because I forgot the man who is almost certainly the most nails person who has ever lived

Lt Gen Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart VC KBE CB CMG DSO

He fought in the Boer War, World War I, and World War II; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip and ear; survived a plane crash, tunneled out of a POW camp, and bit off his own fingers when a doctor wouldn't amputate them. He later said "frankly I had enjoyed the war."

After escaping from an Italian POW camp in 1943 - Once de Wiart evaded capture for eight days disguised as an Italian peasant, which is surprising considering that he was in northern Italy, did not speak Italian, and was 61 years old, with an eye patch, one empty sleeve and multiple injuries. Ironically, de Wiart had been approved for repatriation due to his disablement but notification arrived after his escape. As the repatriation would have required that he promise not to take any further part in the war it is probable that he would have declined anyway.

He was later taken to Rome to assist Italian attempts to get out of the war. While having a suit made as part of the cover for what was happening he told Italian tailors to make sure his suit was made properly as he wasn't going to wear one of their 'bloody gigolo suits'.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: July 4, 2012, 10:36:51 am »
Even after all these years the sun never tells the earth you owe me.look what happens with  love like that,it lights up the whole sky.

Those that cannot see what is beautiful in this world are destined to be slaves.

You were looking for the key the entire time but the door was always open.

First they laugh at you,then they ignore you ,then they fight you ,then you win.

Bravery is about believing in yourself and that nobody can teach you.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 4, 2012, 11:27:21 am »
A couple of Spike Milligan quotes:

"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven."
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #354 on: July 4, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »
"Thats what she said"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #355 on: May 1, 2023, 07:37:05 pm »
There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything
Give him back something broken.

- Thomas Covenant, The Wounded Land
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: May 2, 2023, 06:44:32 am »
"Of all the hatreds, none is greater than that of ignorance of knowledge" - Galileo

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #357 on: May 2, 2023, 01:30:57 pm »
"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

Bette Midler.
Kill the humourless

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: May 2, 2023, 01:54:36 pm »
"You can buy a man's time; you can even buy a man's physical presence at a given place; you can even buy a measured number of skilled muscular motions per hour or day. But you cannot buy enthusiasm; you cannot buy initiative; you cannot buy loyalty; you cannot buy devotion of hearts, minds and souls. You have to earn these things" - Clarence Francis - Former Chairman of the board of General Foods.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: May 2, 2023, 08:48:02 pm »
There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything
Give him back something broken.

- Thomas Covenant, The Wounded Land

Like a Lamborghini with a flat tire?