Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 376120 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
No idea, but just to draw again on the Plinkett reviews - having to read the book to fully understand the film might be a good way of making money but it's NOT a good way of making a movie.

If the movie storyline is full of plot holes that you need to read the book to understand wtf is going on then you may as well skip the film entirely.

In answer to your question I reckon they will still be labelled Lucasfilm.  I''m wondering if Fox will continue to hold distribution rights though.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2012, 02:13:53 pm »
Every time I see Yoda hawking mobile phones I think I cannot be arsed with this.

I'd love to know how many 30/40 somethings from the first flush of Star Wars will give a damn - unless they have kids of their own.

The site of Harrison Ford in some sort of western-style story with a really good director might change my mind but for now....................it's a snooze.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »
Sorry, i would just like to add, it appears that people thought i mean't actually focus on the storylines and characters of the old republic game. That wasn't what i mean't. My point was more general, that they should focus on that time period (or before that) but use a completely new set of characters/story etc.

My main point was that they should move away from Luke, Leia etc and start again. IMO the prequels have completely tainted that era of Star Wars characters.

As i said above though, i don't think they will do this. They will set it after ROTJ and watch the money roll in.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
Well, if t'internet rumours are correct, they're trying to get Lawrence Kasdan on board...  big thumbs up for that if it's true.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: November 21, 2012, 11:00:37 am »
Sorry, i would just like to add, it appears that people thought i mean't actually focus on the storylines and characters of the old republic game. That wasn't what i mean't. My point was more general, that they should focus on that time period (or before that) but use a completely new set of characters/story etc.

My main point was that they should move away from Luke, Leia etc and start again. IMO the prequels have completely tainted that era of Star Wars characters.

As i said above though, i don't think they will do this. They will set it after ROTJ and watch the money roll in.

The setting after ROTJ isn't too bad. I don't really know that much about it but some interesting events happened like an invasion from another Galaxy which almost wiped everything out? Yuuzhan Vong they're called after looking it up. I'd prefer the games to explore the Old-Republic era. And by games I don't mean a crappy MMO but actual KOTOR games.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »
The setting after ROTJ isn't too bad. I don't really know that much about it but some interesting events happened like an invasion from another Galaxy which almost wiped everything out? Yuuzhan Vong they're called after looking it up. I'd prefer the games to explore the Old-Republic era. And by games I don't mean a crappy MMO but actual KOTOR games.

Thing is though, if they do set it after ROTJ, are we not just going to keep going round in circles? What i mean by that is that the prequels were all about the banished Sith exacting their revenge on the republic for the Jedi disposing of them, and of course the rise of Darth Vader. Then the movies that followed were about Luke Skywalker and the rebel alliance attempting to restore democracy to the galaxy. Given the events of ROTJ are we simply going to see another trilogy of the Sith attempting to reclaim power again followed by a trilogy of the rebels attempting to correct that?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »
Thing is though, if they do set it after ROTJ, are we not just going to keep going round in circles? What i mean by that is that the prequels were all about the banished Sith exacting their revenge on the republic for the Jedi disposing of them, and of course the rise of Darth Vader. Then the movies that followed were about Luke Skywalker and the rebel alliance attempting to restore democracy to the galaxy. Given the events of ROTJ are we simply going to see another trilogy of the Sith attempting to reclaim power again followed by a trilogy of the rebels attempting to correct that?

It's just going to go round and round forever. Just like Marvel re-booting Spiderman every 5 years.

Cinema used to be magical, now it's just cynical in extremis.

i used to love Star Wars as a kid. Now I am made miserable every time I am reminded of it's bloated, profit-driven excess.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2012, 05:07:39 pm »
I'm more of a detached appreciator, as I'm too old to get involved with such things and I'm too young to have kids of my own, but Disney is going to make it's own Star Wars version of Skylanders. It's pretty much confirmed in XBW's Podcast this week, where there are plans for a toy-line to be implemented with a multiple-platform game. I really think Skylanders is a fantastic idea (for the kids and the creators bank balance, less so that of the beleaguered parents coerced into buying the things) and I know I would have loved it when I was about 6-10. A Star Wars version would have had me emptying my own pockets and attempting to get my parents to do the same at every opportunity. If Disney can avoid the obvious issues they may have with infringements, this will make a ridiculous amount of money.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »

Not necessarily. Leaving aside all that EU stuff which I don't give a crap about, at the end of ROTJ the rebels toppled the Galactic Empire with exactly one Jedi among their number. Doesn't have to follow that there was a whole new Jedi order protecting the galaxy afterwards (Luke would have had to put in some serious overtime to train that many over his lifetime.) And characters across the good/evil divide were shown to be mostly sceptical about the whole Force thing anyway, from Han Solo to that guy who slags Vader and gets Force-choked for a bit.

And the Sith don't automatically have to be the bad guys either. The universe is filled with nefarious characters, such as Jabba and his ilk. Maybe a power vacuum opened up somewhere after the Empire fell, perhaps some planet celebrated only to later find some former bounty hunter taking charge, surrounding himself with demobbed stormtroopers and kitted out with fearsome weapons he scavenged as the Empire fell...or maybe many people blame the Force for allowing the Sith to dominate, and some terrorist group forms determined to wipe out anyone who exhibits signs of being "strong" with it, maybe Luke struggled to reestablish the Jedi in the face of such opposition...there are endless possibilities, so long as we don't assume that a 1,000 generation utopia of Jedi protection automatically followed from the defeat of the Empire, but instead that the results were a messier change, as opposed to "they all lived happily ever after" (even if that is what RotJ seems to imply.)

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2012, 08:35:16 am »

I get what your saying mate but i think it will all come back to money, and to make money in a Star Wars movie you need a red lightsaber and a blue/green lightsaber battling it out.

If they set the movie 30 years after ROTJ it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest that Luke has attempted to return the Jedi order to the galaxy and has used that time period to search the galaxies for force sensitives. Wasn't there even a book about the son of Hann and Leia becoming a Jedi in the new order? Might be wrong about that.

Maybe Luke used the time after ROTJ to hunt down any remaining Sith in the galaxies. Perhaps he was away from Republic space for a long time. I would imagine any new movie could focus on his return with his padawan to the Republic with warnings about what is to come.

It would be nice if they went a different way but ultimately i think it will come back to lightsaber vs lightsaber, small roles for Luke, Leia and Hann and a big cash cow for Disney.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »
Re: lightsabers. If any of you have seen the clone wars tv series (kids) there's a Jedi character who has four arms and has two double ended lightsabers. I'm not even shitting you, it's ridiculous.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »
Apparantly the characters from the Star Wars universe are going to Galaxy warp (By means of a DS9-like static wormhole)  to the Star Trek universe. Big names excited at the meeting of the two franchises. Obviously mega-bucks in it. Be interesting to see how the races in Star Trek deal with the ideals of the Empire and Republic and Rebel Alliance.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #332 on: November 22, 2012, 01:32:14 pm »
Just PLEASE get back to good story, decent dialogue and not pander to the kiddies. Star Wars was always a FAMILY movie, despite what Lucas seems to now say, it was never just for the kids. Especially Empire.
Get someone in who can direct it like a proper movie, not some 'you stand there and say this' direction.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »
Just PLEASE get back to good story, decent dialogue and not pander to the kiddies. Star Wars was always a FAMILY movie, despite what Lucas seems to now say, it was never just for the kids. Especially Empire.
Get someone in who can direct it like a proper movie, not some 'you stand there and say this' direction.

And certainly not the "You stand here and say this line to the empty space to your left, which we'll fill with a CGI flying creature, and then turn to your right and have a 'conversation' with the empty space there which will be filled with a tentacle beast. Don't forget to focus appropriately so it doesn't look obvious you're staying into space. Look natural!!"

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »
Apparantly the characters from the Star Wars universe are going to Galaxy warp (By means of a DS9-like static wormhole)  to the Star Trek universe. Big names excited at the meeting of the two franchises. Obviously mega-bucks in it. Be interesting to see how the races in Star Trek deal with the ideals of the Empire and Republic and Rebel Alliance.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
:D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2013, 10:36:04 am »
J.J. Abrams will direct then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jan/25/star-wars-episode-vii-jj-abrams

As I said - this idea of Star Trek meeting Star Wars is coming to fruition.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:01 am »

Ugh.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2013, 11:02:48 am »

As much chance of that happening as it turning out Vader created the island on Lost.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2013, 11:04:59 am »
As much chance of that happening as it turning out Vader created the island on Lost.

That ending would have been just as realistic...

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:46 am »

Nah.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2013, 11:17:14 am »
By all accounts though, Disney bought Marvel Studios and basically left them alone to get on with it. They didn't meddle or interfere with the plan Marvel had in place for the Avengers lead in movies. Although I'm sure their cash helped out a lot.

Are these new Star Wars films still going to be produced through Lucasfilm Studios? Or could they end up at Pixar or something?

Disney have slated 11 animated production for the next twelve months from Marvel Studios which will probably end up on the Disney X Channel. They are trying to use it now to tap into the younger generation.

Regarding Star Wars, I think from what i`ve read Disney have more of a say than they`ve done with Marvel.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2013, 07:27:50 pm »
Let the lens flare be with you

In all honesty its a good choice. He is probably the only director out there who can handle it

Now to get Damon lindorf in as writer

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2013, 07:36:23 pm »
Great choice.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #345 on: January 26, 2013, 07:56:34 pm »
Boring. Abrams is such a safe appointment, he'll churn out some 6/10 where you're never really immersed or in suspense.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:45 am »
So not content with destroying Star Trek, Abrams will set his sights on Star Wars as well.  As long as he chooses Lindelof to help write rather than the god awful Orci and Kurtzman it might be ok.

Please bring your Super 8 game rather than your MI:3/Star Trek game for this one JJ.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:12 am »
Boring. Abrams is such a safe appointment, he'll churn out some 6/10 where you're never really immersed or in suspense.

At the very worst then that's still 5 points better than any of the prequels ever achieved under Lucas. I thought Star Trek was good, quite a shallow plot which could have been fleshed out a lot better but still a lot more fun/better than it could have been, and better than a lot of its predecessors.

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2013, 12:26:40 pm »
So not content with destroying Star Trek, Abrams will set his sights on Star Wars as well. 

So you missed Lucas's wrecking ball then?
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline Casablancas

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »
Happy with this news, I'm a fan of Abrams. Didn't watch Lost, but I really like Mission: Impossible 3, Super 8 and Star Trek, so will be looking forward to this.
Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2013, 01:43:31 pm »
Im sure I read Lucas has already written the storylines for the next 3 installments and given them to Disney so they could fluff them out. If that is the case Im not expecting much as the last 3 movies were butchered. Even in that state the last trilogy brought in well over a billion dollars in takings in the US alone so even when broken the franchise coughs out cash. Expect a few tweaks but still get the same old CGI driven plots coming at us.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »
Expect a few tweaks but still get the same old CGI driven plots coming at us.

Abrams's Star Trek film does the balance between sets and cgi pretty well imo. Apart from the stupid sequence with the monster in the snow, the cgi never really seems to drive the plot. I don't think he would fall into that trap, personally.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:15 pm »
Are the people asking for Lindelof to come in as a writer taking the piss or something?
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »
Are the people asking for Lindelof to come in as a writer taking the piss or something?

It appears that Prometheus was so forgettable that people have actually forgotten it.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2013, 04:40:19 pm »
Whatever Abrams makes won't be THAT good but it'll still be multiple times better than what the prequels were.

With Abrams now being selected for Star Wars it seems Vaughn (who was also in the running for SW) and Mendes are the two lead candidates for Justice League.

Please god, let Mendes and Deakins work on a Justice League film together.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:26 pm »
Abrams is a good, solid choice. But thats all it is, safe.

We know exactly what we will get imo, and I have my doubts it will "feel" like a Star Wars film, especially set after the original trilogy.

Lucas did the same with the prequels, but part of it was forgiven because it was set in a shinier, more peaceful time. These new films will be post battle of Endor, I just worry that he will make it too slick and smooth.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »
I really like what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek. Good balance between character, plot, action and special effects. Regardless of plot, his characters tend to be set up properly and get decent dialogue whatever the setting.

If you think of Star Wars as something akin to a creative property like Sherlock Holmes*, a crap analogy but work with me, then I think there is room for a new slant on it and a fresh story (or 3). *The basic universe and major characters are there but you can spin it different ways.

All depends on the script and whether the producers want it to appeal to 10 year olds, for me.

*that was a shit analogy okay: but I watched Andy Murray and the F.A. Cup today and my wife's been giving me grief too :(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:39:05 pm by lionel_messias »
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:05 pm »
At least we can all stop getting excited about some amazing possibilities these new films could have thrown up.

Abrams' films are nice looking, slick and he can pull off great set pieces and action scenes. But all of his films have been fairly soulless, lacking in any real identity (if you don't count lens flares), he can't end a film well and I've never wanted to watch any of them again.  He's a decent blockbuster director and that's all he'll produce. You could've hired Len Wiseman or Brett Ratner and got the same film.

In other words he's the perfect choice for the biggest franchise in the world.

www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »
Well if Lucas has done page treatments already for 7, 8 and 9 and just handed them over, then it remains to be seen how much independent input will go into the new films.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »
So who would be a better choice than Abrams?
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.