Author Topic: Rodgers the man of the moment  (Read 70358 times)

Offline danielfonseca

• Clearly mad as a hatter who's gone mad with a box of frogs cracked up on SunnyD in a confined space and high on sherbet with no tea. Mad.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rodgers the man of the moment
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 12:36:36 am »
Kris . i always enjoy your posts.  Not getting this hype about the manager though. that doesnt mean i wont back him,  just dont see the excitement. Anybody would think he came into a pub side and taught us how to pass a ball.

I am tired of saying the same thing, I think we should keep faith with BR even if we finish in the bottom half because we play pass and move footbal, because for the previous 120 years we did not know what that was !

"My methods have translated and worked well from Halmstad to Malmo"

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:12 am »
I remember us absolutely battering arsenal at home last year but losing cos of 2 shots from them - that performance was much better than yday but the hype over yday through the roof. We didn't create many (any?) Clear cut chances. Of course we'll dominate games - we at most times have 7 in midfield with full backs pushing up and suarez dropping deep yet it leaves few men in the box and exposed on the counter. Lets all calm down till we won a game.

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 01:29:57 am »
I  find the whole getting annoyed by people showing faith in the manager a bit pathetic. Almost like some are hoping him to fail just so later on they can rub said peoples faces in it.

they haven't got a scooby to be honest.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:26 am »
i dont expect us to even make it into europe this season. we are building for the future. we are playing lads like suso , sterling , borini, shelvey all under the age of 21. its fine with me and we will see the fruits of our labour in years to come.

we are doing it the right way, patience will be rewarded.

Offline Kuytinho

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 01:46:24 am »
I really think we've found something in Rodgers. It may be optimistic given that we're sat in 18th but I think it's a shared optimism with the majority of fans and if an unequovical support develops amongst all of our fans then maybe he'll be able to complete this project and put us back where we're supposed to be. I don't want us to be a club with a new manager every season in complete mediocrity. This system is and will be far from mediocre and I'm praying the next three results finally reflect that.

Offline RaveDave

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 02:12:10 am »
Cracking op, fans need to see the bigger picture, this is just the start of the Brendan Rodgers era at the club, 5 league games in and some people are whingeing the system that Rodgers plays is not the same as we have played in recent years, yes we have always been a passing team, but we are now a passing plus team, everything is about passing, long balls are out, long goal kicks are out, hoofed clearances are out, these are all adjustments the players have to make, the 7 lines that he talks about, the movement that he wants on the ball/off teh ball, the new methods of pressing the ball, these things take time, never mind the fact that we have lost Lucas, i honestly can't wait to see Rodgers team a year down the line when he has had a couple more transfer windows to bring in more of his type of players and ship out those who aren't.

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 02:42:58 am »
Hope it's not reading all over, He went there in high regard trying to do the same thing results weren't good, neither was their table position in the championship yet he still was talking a good game with strong belief.
He ended up getting the sack and some may say too early but in the space of a few years reading went from play off finalist to the premiership.

Everything is going to depend on time, if the owners are prepared to wait for 3 years then this he may well be the man, but it sounds clear that by them feeling 4th is a reasonable expectation, they may not be willing to wait that long.

It's only five games but we now made everything 5 times harder,when are we meant to start asking the questions? Whilst good quality players still want to come hear and stay then we can afford to give him time but if we continue to come up short that will chnage and whilst we may start to play like swansea, our expectation will  drop to theirs. 

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:15 am »
Of course that's a logical argument re. control, and you're not necessarily wrong. But the United side yesterday had no Cantona, no Tevez, no Rooney, no Ronaldo, no Scholes at his peak, etc.

And seriously, if you think we're anywhere even remotely near Rafa's Crushing Machine of 2002-2004, you're deluded. Even Rafa couldn't replicate it at Anfield with any consistency.

Don't get me wrong, he'll have us playing good football and we'll get results. But the sort of Messianic talk that I'm hearing seems incredibly premature and there's nothing yet to show for it.

You're getting to be really boring. We get it, you didn't like the hire and you don't like FSG.

Nobody is saying we're even close to Rafa's Valencia. We have 2 points from 5 games, nobody is going overboard.

Rodgers is just being praised for the thoroughness of his vision,  his determination in implementing his philosophy (even if it means dropping points early on), and his willingness to play young players.

Nobody knows if he's the next Shankly or the next Evans. But the process looks good, and for that he deserves our praise and our support.

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 02:54:06 am »
Hope it's not reading all over, He went there in high regard trying to do the same thing results weren't good, neither was their table position in the championship yet he still was talking a good game with strong belief.
He ended up getting the sack and some may say too early but in the space of a few years reading went from play off finalist to the premiership.

Everything is going to depend on time, if the owners are prepared to wait for 3 years then this he may well be the man, but it sounds clear that by them feeling 4th is a reasonable expectation, they may not be willing to wait that long.

It's only five games but we now made everything 5 times harder,when are we meant to start asking the questions? Whilst good quality players still want to come hear and stay then we can afford to give him time but if we continue to come up short that will chnage and whilst we may start to play like swansea, our expectation will  drop to theirs.

By his own admission, he went to Reading and 'rushed' things. He was throwing his players into the deep end, when they either weren't ready or weren't able to play in the system.

I think he will get the full three years to show what he can do, unless there some kind of catastrophe.

Offline okabandai

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a White and Red Kop
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:18 am »
Be patient with BR, he's trying to build a system of play that cant be done in 5 games. Offensively we are getting there, IMO just lack the goal scorer or even when we should had a chance from the penalty spot, the refferee thinks otherwise. Defensively, we are not there yet. Remember when BR said about the 6-7 seconds rule? but in the 1st half against utd, we did it brilliantly, Total control.

He deserves our support, its too early to judge him on results with Man City, Arsenal, Utd being 3 of the first 5 fixture.

He spoke well, said all the right things. The team is playing the 'right' way. Tactically brillliant, look at how he still want to control the game and did with 10 men against utd.

Get behind the man, he's the manager of Liverpool Football Club. (well, you dont if he is Hodgson Hodgson, for obvious reasonS )
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:09:55 am by okabandai »
Mama is BOSS

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:52 am »
By his own admission, he went to Reading and 'rushed' things. He was throwing his players into the deep end, when they either weren't ready or weren't able to play in the system.

What about not now, where is the adjustment, do you think players like skrtel, gerrard are palying to they playing their strengths right now? Allen is getting alot of praise right now especially for always providing an outlet, i dont think many would go against saying he one of best performers right now, but what else is really doing other than being a give go, is one of our main attackng threats or the player breaking opposition play?

Why not play or set up a system to your current players strengths then gradually implement your philosophy.

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 03:15:30 am »
What about not now, where is the adjustment, do you think players like skrtel, gerrard are palying to they playing their strengths right now? Allen is getting alot of praise right now especially for always providing an outlet, i dont think many would go against saying he one of best performers right now, but what else is really doing other than being a give go, is one of our main attackng threats or the player breaking opposition play?

Why not play or set up a system to your current players strengths then gradually implement your philosophy.

With the players we have, it IS their strength to be playing the way Rodgers wants them to play. That doesn't mean that they're gonna be unbeatable right away. The problems we do have (giving away possession missing simple balls) are things that will improve with the players building a good understanding on the field, which is something that will take time, but we can see it is getting better.

He IS making adjustments, or rather, tweaks, to help in the short term. Just because some of them are small and sometimes hard to notice doesn't mean he's not making them. One thing I noticed is that our CBs are playing a little closer together now, instead of basically being on the sidelines like early on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:17:37 am by ShibbyLFC »

Offline okabandai

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a White and Red Kop
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 03:19:06 am »

Well, if he did it and the results dont go our way, there's always complaints about he doesn't know what he's doing.

The players are enjoying this style of play, we controlled games. Why should he change his philosophy?He's been studying it and are implementing it for like 20 years now. He knows it inside out.

The result hasn't come yet but we are getting there. Its a transitional phase but the process looks good so far.
Mama is BOSS

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:08 am »
Hopefully so , but i hope in the meantime that goals aren't conceded due to players being scared to whack the ball up the field in the closing minutes or because we ended up passing to opposition. At the same time with players WE have got i would hate for them to think having a crack from outside the box or attempting the occasional long ('hollywood') pass is a sin especially if they have the ability to do so favouring a simple sideline pass.

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 03:35:14 am »
Hopefully so , but i hope in the meantime that goals aren't conceded due to players being scared to whack the ball up the field in the closing minutes or because we ended up passing to opposition. At the same time with players WE have got i would hate for them to think having a crack from outside the box or attempting the occasional long ('hollywood') pass is a sin especially if they have the ability to do so favouring a simple sideline pass.

The occasional long pass isn't a sin in Rodgers system, it's all about timing. IF the long ball is the right ball you play it, but you don't force it up every time.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 03:35:59 am »
Not buying this I'm afraid. Revisionism and comparing apples with oranges....the Mancs were yesterday an almost embarrassingly poorer side than the ones aformentioned managers' sides took apart.

Yup. I stand corrected but didn't Houllier's sides beat the Mancs quite regularly ?

Checked. Beat Mancs 5 times during his tenure.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:45:45 am by nocturnalvin »

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 03:47:19 am »
The occasional long pass isn't a sin in Rodgers system, it's all about timing. IF the long ball is the right ball you play it, but you don't force it up every time.

Thats fine but who decides when it's the RIGHT ball, Wheen gerrard hit that beautiful pass into borini (i think) there must have been easier options but the fact he saw the pass and was able to pull it tells you his quality and it is that kind of thing that he and others have done for us over the seasons that have brung success. Hopefully BR uses his philosophy as a rough template rather than strict guideline which encourages this type of play.

Im off!

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 04:42:13 am »
Great article. The people who are disappointed will be the same people who probably thought we could mount a title challenge this season. People need to wake up and realise where we are now and the road that lies ahead. The league is a write off this year. If we can continue to progress and maybe go on a couple of cup runs it'll be a good season.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:05 am »
I certainyl feel more optimism with Rodgers at the helm than Dalglish or Hodgson because Rodgers is trying to create a more pass and move game that is more in line with our traditions and with the state of the art at this time than the long ball game favoured by Dalglish and Hodgson. Also he seems to be better at training, tactical changes and substitutions than those managers.

However, it is ludicruous and far too premature to call him the `man of the moment'. What he is currently is the Liverpool manager with the worst run of results in a century. Which means that based on performance - which is the most objective and important parameter - he is the worst Liverpool manager in 100 years ATM. And the direct reason for this is an inability to score goals caused by the amateuristic failure of Rodgers and FSG to invest in a top centreforward while prematurely offloading every other player who has been proven to be able to score goals int he name of lightening the salary list. It was the kind of mistake that a rookie manager would do, and a situation that a Liverpool manager should never find himself in.

So while he has promising potential and there are signs that merit keeping faith with him for the moment, Rodgers has not done anything to deserve any accolades at the moment. On the contrary, the jury is still out on him and the verdict will only be clear at the end of the season.

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:19 am »
By watching this team improving game by game, I'm really excited and looking forward to BR and his work here.

Some people dont like him from the start and will never like him unless he win 5 game out of 5.

And some hate him because Kenny ( my hero) was sacked.

Its time to look forward and support our current manager.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:22 am »
I think Rodgers, like Hodgson and Kenny, will always be measured by the yardstick of Rafa's achievements here and it goes to show how well we did under Rafa that fans are expecting us to be in the top 4 or fighting for the top 4 at the very least. It will always be a difficult job because many fans still feel the injustice of Rafa's departure, a man who was on the threshold of turning us into something great, and haven't had any closure on him leaving.

There seems to be a balancing act though between giving a manager time to adapt to his role and get his ideas across, whilst still ensuring we are not underachieving on the pitch, and at the moment although there are clear signs that Rodgers is getting his ideas across we are still 3rd bottom of the league without a win. If Rodgers can get a couple of wins and continue to play football the way he wants us to then that will be a massive pressure release, but the sad reality is he needs wins and fast. If we play like we have the last 2 league matches though, I am very confident of 9 points in the next 3 league games and that can be the kickstart we need.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:32:04 am by Passmaster Molby »

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:53 am »
I certainyl feel more optimism with Rodgers at the helm than Dalglish or Hodgson because Rodgers is trying to create a more pass and move game that is more in line with our traditions and with the state of the art at this time than the long ball game favoured by Dalglish and Hodgson. Also he seems to be better at training, tactical changes and substitutions than those managers.

What can be more ridiculous than that.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Rodgers the man of the moment
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 07:20:13 am »

That doesn't sound to far off what is happening here. Playing players ahead of time.
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 07:24:19 am »
We are a world away from Roy Hodgeson which is a start. All though the results haven't come I've got a lot of respect for Rodgers and I am willing to be patient with him. He gets the club and plays football the way it should be played. He's past the Character test we now need to wait and see how good a Football Manager he is.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:00 am »

Kindly note that it is actually possible for you to disagree with others without calling their viewpoint "ridiculous".

Hodgson's style was more traditionally long ball than Dalglish's, but the later still belonged in the same family as the former.

Although Dalglish's style of play seemed more swashbuckling, it was in the end greatly dependent on long balls and crossing into the box as well as hopeful punts upfield. Pass and move in contemporary vein as influienced by Barcelona and which Rodgers espouses emphasises keeping possession and a lot more short passing and most importantly movement than what was on display last season. Dalglish's style was very different from the culture and style of play that Rodgers is installing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:26:59 am by subroc »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 07:34:39 am »
When speaking of Kenny Dalglish, isn't it normally the respectful thing to do to refer to him as Kenny? He's earned the affection of ALL Liverpool fans and in my opinion, should never ever on this board be referred as "Dalglish".

Yes of course  Brendan Rodgers is the manager now but so what? That's no reason to drop the respect due to the legend that was his predecessor.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 07:38:46 am »

Although Dalglish's style of play seemed more swashbuckling, it was in the end greatly dependent on long balls and crossing into the box as well as hopeful punts upfield. Pass and move in contemporary vein as influienced by Barcelona and which Rodgers espouses emphasises keeping possession and a lot more short passing and most importantly movement than what was on display last season. Dalglish's style was very different from the culture and style of play that Rodgers is installing.

I certainly agree to that. We played pass and move during kenny's time here but there are differences in style and culture as you said.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 08:02:21 am »
Kindly note that it is actually possible for you to disagree with others without calling their viewpoint "ridiculous".

Hodgson's style was more traditionally long ball than Dalglish's, but the later still belonged in the same family as the former.

It is ridiculous. Much as you can admire what BR is trying to do, best if you can show a good amount of respect for the biggest legend ever associated with this Club, and whose teams are probably the best pass and move sides in our history. You can get the facts right for a start. But this is about BR, and for that matter, a lot of positives but still the worst start in 100 years.

Offline Bonaqua

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 08:06:14 am »

However, it is ludicruous and far too premature to call him the `man of the moment'. What he is currently is the Liverpool manager with the worst run of results in a century. Which means that based on performance - which is the most objective and important parameter - he is the worst Liverpool manager in 100 years ATM. And the direct reason for this is an inability to score goals caused by the amateuristic failure of Rodgers and FSG to invest in a top centreforward while prematurely offloading every other player who has been proven to be able to score goals int he name of lightening the salary list. It was the kind of mistake that a rookie manager would do, and a situation that a Liverpool manager should never find himself in.

So while he has promising potential and there are signs that merit keeping faith with him for the moment, Rodgers has not done anything to deserve any accolades at the moment. On the contrary, the jury is still out on him and the verdict will only be clear at the end of the season.

Rodgers represent our traditions better than Kenny? King Kenny? Ahahahahahah.. You're having a laugh right?
Must be the biggest blunder on this forum ever.

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your post though

Offline jtouche

• Main Stander
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:11 am »

I tend to agree to certain extent. Always felt that his style somewhat change during his time at Blackburn. It was more direct, long balls and individual skills.
Always love King Kenny esp when he took over from Roy.
But his time here did not made me go wow - pass and move is back!
It was really long balls at times esp when he was trying to get Carroll to play.

Love King Kenny. He shouldn't have taken the job full time.
Always a legend in my eyes.  :(

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 08:42:24 am »
does anyone honestly think Rodgers will do any better then Kenny this season? I know its a new manager blah blah but so too was Kenny, in the job a seasonand a half, finished 8th with a cup, I dont think we can achieve that this season, whereas if Kenny stayed I could see us improve our leage form

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:24 am »
This OP and the other thread(s) on Rodgers are too early.

We have seen promising signs but little return. But that's against a backdrop of 3 of the top 4 last season in 5 games. In addition, a new manager, new way of working for the players and a thinnish squad means time is required.

Patience and time....and points from the next 3 league games.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 08:54:22 am »
At the moment I'm not even thinking about where we will finish, I'm just enjoying watching some good football.

There is clearly a structured plan and philosophy that the players are clearly enjoying attempting to carry out.

Whats not to like about that?
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:33 am »
does anyone honestly think Rodgers will do any better then Kenny this season? I know its a new manager blah blah but so too was Kenny, in the job a seasonand a half, finished 8th with a cup, I dont think we can achieve that this season, whereas if Kenny stayed I could see us improve our leage form

I certainly felt Kenny deserved at least another season as I think it takes a manager at least three years before they can shape a squad with players that they feel will suit them and get them playing confidently in the style of that manager. There were clearly signs last signs last season that we were not far away from being a very good team.

However, I don't think it is possible to judge Brendan's first season based on what Kenny done last year. Kenny had significant funds available for him in the summer and strengthened the team the way he wanted. Not only has Brendan had to cull the squad he inherited, he has also been given limited funds to rebuild.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 09:03:34 am »
Was not the only one to pick up on that I'm glad to see.

Jesus...
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:15 am »
Feeling ridiculously optimistic considering the scant points amassed.

This. Under any other circumstances I would be driving the bandwagon that calls for the managers head. Instead I've thoroughly enjoyed all our performances so far (maybe barring the Arsenal game). Rodgers & the team will come good all it will take is a win.
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:54 am »
You should show little more respect to one of the club's longtime servants. Evans had us finishing runners-up and in the CL, but then as you're a 24-year old Yank, I suppose I should allow for the fact you may not remember that.

I love Roy Evans - I was really hoping he might have returned to the club in some role as the last of the boot room boys. Must have so much to offer still.

Took over a dog of a team from Souness and never finished outside the top four playing some absolutely amazing football. Arsenal fans act is if Wenger invented pretty football but they would never have got the ball from Roy Evans' team.

Anyway, I digress..........
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2012, 09:09:09 am »
Jury is still out for me. He certainly talks the talk. As for style of play and the new 'system' I keep hearing about, there is a clear difference in how we set up but little difference in how we go about the main aim of the game in the final 3rd.
 We still pass it to death in front of the opposition back 4 and there has been a decrease in clear chances created so far this season. Lack of a goalscorer isn't helping but BR did sign Borini and discard Carroll (whatever your view on him) without giving him as much as a chance.
 That's not to say I wont give him a chance. Whether the Americans do is a different matter and all their talk about Rodgers being 'their man' will count for fuck all if we're still bottom half of the table going into the new year. Same can be said for much of the support who are preaching patience right now. He needs a few wins and needs them sooner rather than later.

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:09 am »
eulogising is all good but unless and until the points table reflect what we do in the field then we are setting up ourselves for a nice fall as we move forward. first,i havent seen such a lousy ManU team as the one which played the other day. they were there to be taken but we lost, yes referring decisions played a part but i am firm believer that we have to make our luck.plus as a team we always raise our level of playing when the big teams come into anfield and the performance we had on sunday is defintely not a pointer towards how we will play against the lesser teams. i have said earlier and ia m saying now, we need to have different strategies for different games and not reply on the ball retention and playing beautiful football in all the games. our style is already quite familiar with most of the teams and i would expect teams to play the arsenal way when they come to anfield ( pick us off on the break).

it really pains but i feel we are slowly but surely setting our sights for a mid table medocrity unless and until we have the approach of horses for the courses. we as a club are not in a position with the current quality of the playing squad to play a particular style and hope to get the points in ( this is as important or more important than our playing style) to challenge for the 4th and beyond. we should have an element of suprise going into each game, different strategies to come off the bench and generally ensure no team as a ready made approach when facing our team. currently i have to say we dont have that and it more or less lets the other team decide their approach for the entire game when facing us.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2012, 09:15:16 am »
Kenny's football last season has been underrated by a lot of supporters. He made us play good football. Remember the 2-1 loss to Arsenal? We played them off the park. That with a midfield that was ill suited. In isolation most of Kenny's game were good performances. So why different sentiments for different manager? Is it because Kenny was a bit guarded about his philosophy? Would people have felt better if Kenny came out and explained his tactics to TAW?

FWIW, I like Rodgers. But the wankfest is a bit too soon. L6 has this temptation of triggering it a bit quickly. Love his writing style, but didn't he predict that Kenny would win the league? Take everything with a pinch of salt no matter how well written or what the current mood is.

Rodgers is an immensly talented coach. But does he have the pragmatism of a Benitez? Can he move away from idealism and get an ugly 3 points like Ferguson did at Anfield. It's about points the style will come later. I know its incredibly early but the signs are that he is talented, can get a side playing but will he have the pragmatism to keep a 1-0 or take an away draw?
Justice for the 96