Author Topic: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?  (Read 242467 times)

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Re: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?
« Reply #760 on: August 31, 2012, 11:15:34 pm »
From God's twitter. I hope he's serious...

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #761 on: August 31, 2012, 11:15:42 pm »
As many others have said, it's not the lack of signing a striker that is the worst thing. Letting carroll go and not replacing him really annoys me.

The problem with people saying "oh well, Morgan/Pacheco/N'Goo/Suso/Mickey Mouse will get more games" is that clearly that wasn't the main plan. Who was the backup striker who came on in the last 15/20 mins of our two league games?

If the plan all along was to blood the youngsters and get rid of Carroll the why didn't Rodgers just leave him out of the squad if he thought the youngsters were a better option? There's no two ways around this, Rodgers was expecting a forward player to be signed. It didn't happen. It's not part of his master plan, it's a monumental fuck up and now he will have to make do with what he has.

I just hope one of the kids can step up to the plate, if not then we are in serious trouble.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: August 31, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »
We didn't buy a forward that we desperately needed. :lmao

We bought 2 promising forwards. One who excelled for Roma and one who is considered one of the brightest German talents.

Offline Cocomin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #763 on: August 31, 2012, 11:15:52 pm »
.."Absolutely no-one, Liverpool's number 9. Na na na na na na na  ;D

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: August 31, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »
Where we getting money from to sign players in Jan? you know the month where everyones price is ridiculous
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:04 pm »
Also it is a bit of a myth that Kenny spent £100m+, when you take into account the reduction in wages and getting rid of dross, the figure minus Babel & Torres fee I believe is closer to £35m-£40m. We make roughly £25m a year in profit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but havent we been making losses for the last 3 years?

Offline jc68

• Main Stander
« Reply #766 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:21 pm »
I've been open minded, I have kept the faith, I have tried to see the glass as half full.
Unfortunately it's now clear we are owned by Hicks & Gillette mark II
“If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards.” Bill Shankly

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:22 pm »
Jesus theres some moaning bitches in here tonight.

WELCOME TO OUR NEW REALITY.

We were never going to break the bank for players after the owners got their fingers burnt with the Carroll deal.

That said, we've left ourselves awfully short if we get injuries in key positions, and it's going to be a long old season through to Januaray with the games in the next four months coming thick and fast.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:23 pm »
I don't trust FSG anyways. Most people like FSG just because they are not Hicks-Gillete and choose to ignore their long list of shortcomings.

Or perhaps it's the fact that they're actual sports businessmen and have already had very successful results on the field in ownership of the Boston Red Sox. They're new to the sport and are going to be making mistakes along the way(as they've certainly made already, and indeed tonight) but their intentions are genuine.

The fact is we're still paying from the sins of the past and will continue to do so for the short future. Do Spurs and Arsenal for example have deadweights in the shape of absolutely useless players that have aged beyond use on 90k per week, funds that could go potentially to a major contributor? Do they have club legends that are taking up major portions of the wage bill that are offering diminishing returns? Did any of the club's competitors have to write off a 50m loss for stadium plans from a previous regime? Their resources are not infinite. It's hard to really maximize those resources when large amounts of them are still tied up to pieces that aren't offering the club anything.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #769 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »
Wonder what Parrys at these days?!
Transfer Consultant for the club?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #770 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »
According to my calculations, if you consider sales, contract renewals, wages etc, our net spend fot this year is less than 5m. If you consider new TV deal, Warrior, Europa League etc, club will make a 10-15million profit this year. Unless the stadium situation is sorted soon, I can't see FSG being here for long.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #771 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:33 pm »
OK, so without resorting to arguments etc what do we think the reasons behind it are?

As of yesterday daytime people on the whole would have been relatively happy with our dealings (I think). Agger and key players staying, a few fringe players sold, Allen and Sahin with realy quality and some promising youngsters. We knew Carroll may go but we fully expected a replacement and/or Dempsey whichobviously didn't materialise.

So all the promising bits are still in place as it were. Stupid question probably but I assume the club (manager/board whoever) were exopating a couple of extra additions to finish things off? So what went wrong?

Keep it civil!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:42 pm »
I don't think the Carroll move was all that bright in retrospect, but I can see why they would loan him with a view to a sale. Better that than him sitting on the bench rotting away and massively devaluing. Still think it was short-sighted though. Thing is, all those complaining FSG didn't spend big are overlooking the fact that the last two managers wasted an enormous amount of cash. Our £35m striker from last year is gone on loan, Adam has gone for half price, our £20m winger has become a back-up FB and we can't even find a home for Henderson. Our buys over the last few years have been so poor we could barely raise £10m in transfers even though we shipped out so many players, while about £85m in transfers have effectively halved in value in one season alone. That's not the owners fault, that's RHs and KDs fault. Pointing to Spus canny busy dealings over looks the fact they just made huge returns on Modric and VDV. So, rebuilding no, damage limitation in fact.
If they hadn't sacked Kenny, we probably wouldn't have got rid of most of those players. They did actually play some alright football now and then, and brought one of those shiny things home. I agree we overpaid on them, but it's hardly Kenny's fault that they sacked him and the next manager wants a different type of player.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #773 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »
Titi Camara ‏@TitiCamara22
I had my boots ready waiting for phone call http://t.co/o2ema7Ob
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #774 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
Morgan and Yesil will get playing time now. Either one could be the answer to our problems, you just never know.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #775 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »
Why the fxck would any supporter care about how much FSG reduced the wage bill by?  That only benefits them, not the team or any supporter. 

Waken up to what's going on ffs.

Thank you, we're actually like Arsenal just a lot shitter and with no hope of Champions League.

.."Absolutely no-one, Liverpool's number 9. Na na na na na na na  ;D

We bought no one on deadline day
No one, No One
We had no money for Dempsey,
No One, No One!

Got potential...  ;D

Seriously, is this the first time in years we haven't had a number 9?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:21:24 pm by Dirk18Kuyt »

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:34 pm »
Frankly, if I was Brendan I'd resign. Obviously been told lies and has now been hung out to dry by his MD.

The exact words tweeted by Andy Heaton

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:37 pm »
Morgan and Yesil will get playing time now. Either one could be the answer to our problems, you just never know.

They. Wont. Be

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #778 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:40 pm »
Fucking made up Agger stayed. Best bit of the window for me!!
Has he signed a new contract?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:57 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, but havent we been making losses for the last 3 years?

Yes we have. This will be the first season where we should make a profit after cutting the wage bill.

Offline aseemdh

• Kemlynite
« Reply #780 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:58 pm »
Its us who gives them the cash!

To be honest, it's not like they havent spent at all. The club's clearly spending more than what it's making so it's not like we can complain that they're pocketing our money !! Unless you want a Chelsea / City situation, the spend was enough. Whether it was used to replace 7 players or 15 I dont think FSG will change their stance mid window and say we'll give you 20 million more. They told BR what he had, the manager used it according to his vision, whether his decision to replace 7 players with 5 ( or whatever ) was correct, we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Lee1970

• Anny Roader
« Reply #781 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:00 pm »
Maybe the reason we have to baulk at £7M fees for players is that Dalglish and Commoli managed to blow 5 times that amount on one striker who managed to score 4 goals for us.

When Dalglish managed to spend £80M + on Carroll, Adam, Downing and Henderson, all of whom failed last season, he basically fucked us up for a few seasons in my opinion. No wonder FSG don't want to endorse big money signings  when they witnessed possibly the worst case of spunking transfer fees away ever in the history of football!

Offline greeny01

• Anny Roader
  • Number One is Carragher....
« Reply #782 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »
Gutted really...Can't remember feeling this sick since I got kicked in the knackers at football and the physio sprayed deep freeze on them in a panic...  I hope we get an honest answer and some accountability about what happened and why over the last 48 hours, and that's just the start.

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »
Where we getting money from to sign players in Jan? you know the month where everyones price is ridiculous

Simple, we won't be signing anyone in January unless we can pluck up some money out of thin air. We are completely self-sufficient now. We will operate on player sales until next summer, then we will be given another £20 million.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #784 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »
I'm still in shock, Last season we scored less goals than Blackburn who went down and were starting this season with a striker less. I can't quite get my head round it. Looks like we got shafted by Fulham who were asking for more money than off Spurs or Villa but who were the back ups?? Walcott deal has been dead for a while and with Sturridge we had to rely on Chelsea buying first!

Rogers said less than 24 hours ago he would be stupid to let Carroll go if we didn't have a replacement lined up, And that's whats happened. It looks like the owners have let him down really bad here, I bet he has no confidence in them what so ever after today.

But what's done is done, As a football club we have to pull together and prey Suarez and stay fit and find his shooting boots and Borini hits the ground running. Oh Suarez and Borini cannot start league cups or Europa cup games, It's not worth the risk we need them for the Premier league.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #785 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »
Genuinely worried after tonight. Best scenario I can come up with is that we're at the start of a long rebuilding process and I've bought into the year zero notion myself up to now to be fair.

I didn't expect 'the plan' to leave us quite so short up front, however, and the really concerning aspect for me is that I get the strong impression BR didn't either. We've just piled immense pressure on the new and/or young striking options we have left.

Culling the wages has also culled any chance we had of finishing top four, therefore I'm sorry to say that I don't think it was a priority or genuine aim for the decision-makers.

Feel sorry for BR.

Offline Code_red

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • SCUM
« Reply #786 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:31 pm »
We can't afford 6million for a player we've got no chance of a new stadium or redevelopment of Anfield other than the Glazier way borrow, borrow, borrow, debt, debt, debt.

The American way of business.
Support your local strip club.

Offline Lee1970

• Anny Roader
« Reply #787 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:35 pm »
They. Wont. Be

That's the spirit!  :butt

Offline jonjosuso

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #788 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »

C'mon now mate, there's optimism and...
FSG please eBay Linda's black gloves and we can buy Kuyt back.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:54 pm »
Don't know, I was under the assumption, we make around £25m-a-year. In which case we should be selling to balance the books!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #790 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Well that was a bit shit.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:22 pm »
So until January, the first team squad is this:

Keepers (2) - Reina, Jones

Defenders (7) - Johnson, Kelly, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Carragher

Midfielders (6) - Lucas, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Shelvey, Henderson

Forwards (6) - Suarez, Borini, Assaidi, Sterling, Downing, Cole

Added to that lot a number of young talents like Robinson, Flanagan, Suso, Morgan and Yesil.

Only one player of real top quality stands out in that forward line - lot of pressure on Luis.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:27 pm »
Maybe the reason we have to baulk at £7M fees for players is that Dalglish and Commoli managed to blow 5 times that amount on one striker who managed to score 4 goals for us.

When Dalglish managed to spend £80M + on Carroll, Adam, Downing and Henderson, all of whom failed last season, he basically fucked us up for a few seasons in my opinion. No wonder FSG don't want to endorse big money signings  when they witnessed possibly the worst case of spunking transfer fees away ever in the history of football!

So they are happy to fork out 15m for allen, 11m for Borini, but cant give a few extra mil for Dempsey who is quite decent? Doesn't add up.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »
Has he signed a new contract?

Well least we can offer him decent wages now  :D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #794 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »
Come home Jay Spearing, all is forgiven...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:50 pm »

WELCOME TO OUR NEW REALITY.

We were never going to break the bank for players after the owners got their fingers burnt with the Carroll deal.

That said, we've left ourselves awfully short if we get injuries in key positions, and it's going to be a long old season through to Januaray with the games in the next four months coming thick and fast.

No-one expected the bank to be broke. A smidgeon of transfer nous wouldnt go amiss though.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #796 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:52 pm »

That's rather harsh and is quite patronizing. I get it that some here might be over reacting and throwing tantrums but there are others who are genuinely concerned without losing their minds.

Offline lostpet.

• rewardoffered.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert text here: No Jokes Allowed
« Reply #797 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:01 pm »
We're a pretty paranoid bunch aren't we, blimey its like a UFO convention ("the moneys just vanished man....")

We were a lumbering giant where players on large wages sat able to wind down long contracts bleeding us dry as we spent money we didn't have on players we didn't want or need (with a number of exceptions)

this is merely a diet to make us fitter...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:21:56 pm by lostpet. »

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
Disapointing but id rather we kept the money than pay over the odds for a player. Time for the new scouts to earn their  corn and find us a striker.

Offline Red Razor

• Main Stander
  • The only way is up
« Reply #799 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:08 pm »

still its a big hope when we have a major weakness in scoring goals. Goals = points
To the brave and faithful nothing is impossible