Author Topic: Liverpool FC - 3 - 0 FC Gomel (FT) Borini, Gerrard, Johnson  (Read 56970 times)

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
Re: Liverpool FC - 3 - 0 FC Gomel (FT) Borini, Gerrard, Johnson
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2012, 09:07:09 am »
great game, enjoyed it, lads all played well, some very good goals and would have been more if the linesman got a few right

well done, and the march to amsterdam starts now
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2012, 09:08:09 am »
Rodgers = Rafa, what with the notepad after goals and all :)

I loved that.

First half was fucking brilliant and I've got the second half to watch later.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13:11 am »
Fantastic performance, loved the linkup play and the calm assuredness on the ball in midfield. One/two touch footy.

Unfortunately the disparity between the two performances just serves to highlight how little strength in depth we have. Our first XI is pretty strong, but beyond that we don't have a lot of players that fit with the kind of football we want to play.

Gutted about those Agger comments too. Why do the owners get to decide who stays and goes, and not the manager?

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
I can now only hope the manager and the team ram a few words down peoples throats on here, too quick to judge before a ball's been kicked, not saying we're gonna tear up the league but with time and patience and with the managers philosophy we could become a real force.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2012, 09:19:09 am »
Gutted about those Agger comments too. Why do the owners get to decide who stays and goes, and not the manager?
Because they own the club  and ultimately ever decision is theirs

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:21 am »
Only 9 pages, wasn't there 20/30 odd after the away win?

Ah we're only happy when we've something to moan about, shame really.

Delighted for the new boss, great reception last night, couldn't have gone much better really, no injuries, a good performance against a pretty poor side all told but great to see a few goals and see Lucas Leiva back and Borini score on his debut. Well in Redmen.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2012, 09:24:04 am »

Football people should make the football decisions, these are men who know almost nothing about football. They should stick to what they're supposed to do.

How people question Glen Johnson is beyond me, I think the lad is going to be phenomenal this season (provided he stays fit - fingers crossed).

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2012, 09:24:57 am »

Rhetorical question really. I know why they get to choose, but it is not the correct way of doing things. Terrible move from FSG if they do force him out, seeing as the fans, players, manager and the man himself all want him to stay.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:22 am »
Can ya tell us a little about it. are you saying he is a goner or its just a negotiating tactic?

Basically Agger is only gone if Agger wants to go. No one can make him leave only he can make that decision simple as that. The only way they can remotely make him leave is by threats of not playing or not getting a new contract and so forth but in the end the player has a contract with the club and he alone can end that contract after the club have agreed a fee.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:30 am »
Wish I've seen it.

Pressing man.
People are talking about organized high pressing... I'll go and cry now, tears of joy and relief.
Can't wait to see Sami back and then the season kicks off.

Lucas was marauding around like a man possessed, I've never seen him press so high up the pitch. He was harrying their defence/midfield on the edge of their own box, and winning. Of course better teams will be able to take advantage of such changes in our defensive shape, but if everyone is well drilled enough to know when to rush and when to hold, it could be incredibly effective.

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:43 am »
Any full highlights of the game? Missed it as I was coming back from holiday so I've also missed the Roma game, Spurs game and first leg of the Europa Leauge.
I'd love to see more than just the goals, it sounds like we played some great football. Cheers in advance.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:33 am »
Great display from the team.

Hopefully we can take that into the first game of the season and that will set up those great games after that nicely.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline DT5star

• Boys Pen
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
First chance I got to take my sons last night & they absolutely loved it, they wanted to get there early to watch players get off team bus, Rodgers was 1st off & he got as big a cheer as anyone & he looked shocked but had a massive smile across his face..

Awesome to see Lucas back, Stevie & Suarez we're immense, even though Gomel aren't the greatest...
If we keep them 3 and the back 5 fit & together we'll definitely be challenging the top 4...

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:35 am »
First Thursday night trip there and back of the season and I'm shattered. Great game though. Only tempered by the news this morning that I now miss the Man U game with work. Awesome.

Key for me was the fluidity of the movement.
Highlight (apart from the obvious) was when Suarez got bored of running rings round their players so decided to run round the referee as well.
Kit looks boss. Nets look boss. Rodgers is starting to remind me of Rafa on the sidelines (whilst being his own man) which is also boss.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline brezipool

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA Come On The REDMEN !
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
Fantastic performance, loved the linkup play and the calm assuredness on the ball in midfield. One/two touch footy.

Unfortunately the disparity between the two performances just serves to highlight how little strength in depth we have. Our first XI is pretty strong, but beyond that we don't have a lot of players that fit with the kind of football we want to play.

This on both fronts.

We played great, scored good goals.

And no way Agger should be leaving if he does not want to go, money is not the issue for us or him !

YNWA.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:15 am »
Lucas was marauding around like a man possessed, I've never seen him press so high up the pitch. He was harrying their defence/midfield on the edge of their own box, and winning. Of course better teams will be able to take advantage of such changes in our defensive shape, but if everyone is well drilled enough to know when to rush and when to hold, it could be incredibly effective.

How I missed that style of play, that choking monster Rafa used to hold on a tight leash.
We could have had much more enjoyable seasons recently if only the 'sit back and let them play' was more often replaced with smart, collective pressing higher up the pitch. Ah, well.. whatever comes of this season and of Rodgers in Liverpool he won't hear me complain about the way he's making us play. It's a good way, lethal, demanding but also entertaining and with chance of high reward.

Off to download the game now.. :)

Offline Jezza789

• Anny Roader
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:11 am »
Great performance, good to see Suarez looking in destructive form.

On a side note, the new kits are so boss!

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:29 am »
I like Rodgers tactical approach, I think it´s good but maybe not as great as what Rafa was able to do. It´s a little risky and it will depend on the quality of the players, for that I still think giving away more quality would be pure madness, we already shoot ourselves in the foot for far too long, it just has to stop.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:19:05 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:33 am »
Great display from the team.

Hopefully we can take that into the first game of the season and that will set up those great games after that nicely.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:03 am »
I like Rodgers tactical approach, I think it´s good but maybe not as great as what Rafa was able to do. It´s a little risky and it will depend on the quality of the players, for that I still think giving away more quality would be pure madness, we already shoot ourselve in the foot for far too long, it just has to stop.

Give him a chance. He's played two games and already his tactical approach is not as effective as Rafa's ::)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:59 am »
I like Rodgers tactical approach, I think it´s good but maybe not as great as what Rafa was able to do.

We've only played two competitive games, at least give him a full season before making comparisons with what previous managers achieved!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:12 am »
I wrote "maybe..." Besides that I know what I am seeing, you can see a lot of the handwriting of a manager very early eventhough it´s nowhere from being finished business. His system depends on quality players, otherwise we will be just an improved version of Swansea..

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:47 am »
I wrote "maybe..." Besides that I know what I am seeing, you can see a lot of the handwriting of a manager very early eventhough it´s nowhere from being finished business. His system depends on quality players, otherwise we will be just an improved version of Swansea..

You got this from last night? I personally was surprised by the stark differences between our play last night and Swansea's when I saw them last season.

The passing was faster and we exploited Gomel's obvious weakness (defence too far apart and holding a really high line) by playing balls over the top for Suarez to run onto. I don't remember Swansea doing too much of that last season. That to me illustrates that a) he knows how to maximise our strengths and b) he knows how to exploit weaknesses in the opposition.

I don't really see what would be so bad about being an "improved version of Swansea" anyway.

Offline SeanPenn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:05 am »
Great performance. The movement was brilliant and the way we defended and pressured from the front was a joy to see. If we can continue with this mindset and this style of play I think we're in for a positive surprise this season.

Everybody felt really comfortable on the ball. But as was said above we need more players who can play this way. It might be unfair to judge Adam on a fifteen minute cameo but he seems too slow on the ball compared to Shelvey and Lucas.

I watched the game on the computer on a very small screen. And the best compliment I can give to Borini is that it was difficult to see whether it was him or Suarez that made all the intelligent running. Once the player had the ball it was easy to identify Suarez though...  8)

Credit to all the players and especially Suarez. And Gerrard... I hope he plays in this advanced role. He will have a belter of a season if he does. And you can quote me on that  ;D
-"Matthias, Son of Deuteronomy of Gath"
-"Should I say yes?"
-"Yes"
-"Yes"

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:17 am »
Anyone else think that Shelvey was lucky not to be sent off?

No?

Just me then.
Bit rash in the challenge, I agree. Maybe rustiness...
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:21 am »

I don't really see what would be so bad about being an "improved version of Swansea" anyway.

I just took what I saw yesterday. To me, the players made the difference within an approach which is still growing, the gaps where far too big for an ever quicker passing game and I thought it wasn´t that quick as people thought it to be. A lot was down to the individual quality and the defending work as a unit is still in progress, but all of this of course to be kind of normal at this stage. But remember, start of the season is right around the corner...

I´ve watched a lot of teams in preseason before and I think there is much more to take from this that people think. The indications are good, but we need to bring better quality and keep the one we have. With the squad around we could get into trouble again with just a few injuries as players like Cole, Adam or Spearing won´t be able to make it happen. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:32:04 am by steveeastend »

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #346 on: August 10, 2012, 10:33:38 am »
Fantastic team performance.

Finally we have a manager that understands how to play Stevie again.

Joy to watch him effect the game in the right areas.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: August 10, 2012, 10:34:09 am »
Gerrard... I hope he plays in this advanced role. He will have a belter of a season if he does. And you can quote me on that  ;D

Couldn´t agree more!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: August 10, 2012, 10:34:48 am »
I wrote "maybe..." Besides that I know what I am seeing, you can see a lot of the handwriting of a manager very early eventhough it´s nowhere from being finished business. His system depends on quality players, otherwise we will be just an improved version of Swansea.

Well yes, obviously, and when he brings in the players he wants, to develop his system fully, we'll be in a better position to examine it.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2012, 10:38:07 am »
Great to see us scoring spectacular goals as well. Will titillate our new fans across the pond as well as  the owners.

Pressing and movement looks good. This game was a good test to see our approach to teams who will park the bus at Anfield. We only need to beat the teams below us in the league to win the whole thing.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: August 10, 2012, 10:38:59 am »
We only need to beat the teams below us in the league to win the whole thing.

Eh?

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #351 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40:21 am »
Eh?

Sorry was referring to the Pl not the EL

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40:49 am »
I was really pleased with that. Quick movement and attacking intent throughout. I've already sung the praises of Johnson in his own thread, but what a wonderful strike with his weaker foot. You can tell that Borini is just going to love playing with Suarez. Shit linesman apart it could have easily been 5-0 or more. Gerrard and Lucas were both class, as was Agger. I thought Shelvey was a bit underwhelming, late to the ball and sluggish tackling, but it's still technically pre-season for the lads.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #353 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40:55 am »
Watched the game last night and  was very pleased with what I saw. Lets get the bad out of the way first though.

Profligacy. We still got it. Wasted a lot of good chances and possession in around the box. We coughed up possession easily, but not as a result of crappiness in the middle or backline, but because we were wasteful in the last third.

Scariness. Ho boy, the high jinks at the back with the ball are more than a little nerve-wracking. Playing around opposition strikers in our own box... I could feel the hair on my head standing up at one point. Buck needs to stop watching them Barca videos.

Opposition. Weren't very good, which makes it hard judge how good a performance it was. For example, in the hurly burly of the premiership will that high back line and attempts to play out of defence come undone more regularly

Sourness. Some sour points for a few of the players. Shelvey I feel was trying too hard, lucky not to be carded earlier and his driving runs to nowhere seemed to be borne of a desire to be the new Gerrard. He was much more effective when he played it simple. Downing, much more involved and penetrative, but them final balls still feel pointless to me. Adam. Came on, played a sumptuous ball out the left off his outside boot, floated like a bee as his opposite number sprinted past him with the ball, stung like a butterfly as he blundered into the back of his opponent later on, giving away a cheap free for no reason. Some things never change.

But these are real nitpicks in what, overall, was an extremely positive game. Why? Well firstly Buck picked the exact side I would have picked (bar maybe Shelvey for Henderson, but much of a muchness) had I been manager. And he set them up to play exactly how I would have wanted, so he must be right, right?

Jesting aside, the 433 really suited those players. Enrique and Johnson, let loose up the wing and removed of the need to defend in depth, are excellent attacking options and looked much happier in that role. Agger is made to play a highline (no coincidence that after that game Buck was fulsome in his praise and desire to keep Agger. Seeing him in action is an education) and Skrtel is just happy to have the Dane beside him to clean everything up. So, a happy settled backline, but ably assisted by an active midfield. Lucas was a joy to behold, at one point sprinting at a player. Player passed the ball on, Lucas kept sprinting and ran ball, player and himself off the pitch. Marvellous. Shelvey was a bit skittish and unsure, but provided a useful function, linking to Lucas and Gerrard. Gerrard though. How much more effective and happy is he to be given free reign without the drudgery of tracking back at his age. It was like 2008/9 all over again as Rodgers had him reprise his attacking role. Best I have seen him play in months.

The real damage was done up front. Suarezdependence. That's the only way to describe the team now. He is so frighteningly effective, so creative and busy, it fills me with fear to imagine the side without him. But in this game he was ably assisted by Borini, who looks a fantastic foil for him. He finds space, he works hard, he's clever in his movement and some of the interplay between Suarez, gerrard and Borini was superb. Beside them Downing still looks a bit meat and two veg, albeit more inclined to have a go and more effective further forward and downt he channels.

So, overall, very encouraging and best of all the balance looked excellent and the players looked really comfortable. I get the impression that if we dominate sides this year we could hump the shit out of them. The flipside though is I wonder how vulnerable they will look against a stronger, faster, more technically skilled side?

But lets put them concerns aside and just finish on a few minor observations;

- I can see exactly how Allen will fit into that side, but where does that leave Adam, Henderson, Spearing and Shelvey. Or Sterling, Pacheco and Suso for that matter. Thank god for Euro football to give more chances to the younger/fringe players eh?
- How hilarious were those ESPN morons? "Here's Spearing, it'll be interesting to see who comes out ahead in his battle for places this year, Spearing or Lucas" followed by dead silence of the 'are you shitting me?' variety by his co-commentator
- how bad was that linesman?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:03 am »
I just took what I saw yesterday. To me, the players made the difference within an approach which is still growing, the gaps where far too big for an ever quicker passing game and I thought it wasn´t that quick as people thought it to be. A lot was down to the individual quality and the defending work as a unit is still in progress, but all of this of course to be kind of normal at this stage. But remember, start of the season is right around the corner...

I´ve watched a lot of teams in preseason before and I think there is much more to take from this that people think. The indications are good, but we need to bring better quality and keep the one we have. With the squad around we could get into trouble again with just a few injuries as players like Cole, Adam or Spearing won´t be able to make it happen. 

It will take time to get it right, it's a new way of working, but thankfully we have a core of top class players to whom this type of football comes naturally.

I agree with your second point entirely though. Complete lack of strength in depth at present.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:19 am »
I thought he played well. Pressed, picked the right times to give it to Suarez(and stay out of the way) and when to take it on himself. He put in some good crosses with his wrong foot. Its not all his fault we didn't get on the end of them.
Agree mate - had a good game. He looked better on that right last night than many a time on the left. Beat his fullback with ease more than half of the time- and actively took them on. Put in some decent crosses- not perfect but something Andy could work with.

If he carries on like this, I'd rather have him on the right.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:49:04 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:28 am »

- How hilarious were those ESPN morons? "Here's Spearing, it'll be interesting to see who comes out ahead in his battle for places this year, Spearing or Lucas" followed by dead silence of the 'are you shitting me?' variety by his co-commentator

Bless David Pleat. I think it was him who said that. It's a shame (but quite funny) the amount of names he gets wrong (calling Shelvey Spearing, calling Gomel Belarus, calling Gomel Gromel), cos when he talks tactics he's actually really interesting to listen to. The guy knows the game he just seems a bit senile. Talented boy.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:31 am »

New manager, new ideas and philosophy to get across to the players, two competitive games, interrupted pre-season due to the Euros and Olympics, signings have not been finalised.

A bit of patience goes a long way.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: August 10, 2012, 10:51:55 am »
It will take time to get it right, it's a new way of working, but thankfully we have a core of top class players to whom this type of football comes naturally.

I agree with your second point entirely though. Complete lack of strength in depth at present.

That´s the point of it all. It would be hard to understand giving away players like Agger or even Aquilani while keeping the likes of Cole, Spearing and Adam. Dempsey could be just coming in for having an american player around for marketing reasons, who knows, and there may be even more nasty and strange reasons for some of our policy recentely...

Let´s hope it turns out good and we are going for the best possible while keeping our best.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:49 am »
Sorry was referring to the Pl not the EL

Still makes no sense.