Author Topic: The Tax avoidance thread. Why should Jimmy Carr apologise?  (Read 22709 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Tax avoidance thread. Why should Jimmy Carr apologise?
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2015, 11:37:56 pm »
*bump*

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/manchester-united-liverpool-stars-could-4957592

Manchester United and Liverpool stars could face £1BILLION bill after investment tax avoidance probe

A Sunday Mirror investigation reveals Ingenious Film Partners, used by many footballers, qualified for tax breaks under rules designed to boost the UK’s film industry

More than 400 soccer stars who invested in making movies fear they could face a massive tax bill.

The big-name Premier League players and managers could lose a total of up to £1billion.

Liverpool ace Jordan Henderson and TV pundit Jamie Carragher are among those who sank fortunes into firms backing the UK film industry, believing they were legitimate investment deals.

But some are now facing ruin after tax chiefs launched a crackdown, claiming the schemes were designed purely to avoid tax – and hoping to claw back huge unpaid sums.

Two of the biggest firms selling the investments have now gone bust.

And investment experts backing the footballers claim some advisers exploited the players’ “financial naivety and high incomes”.

A Sunday Mirror probe reveals 420 Premier League players – including 176 retired stars – invested in film projects over the last 15 years, handing over an average £2.3million each.

So-called “tax shelters” allow people to divert income into a side business rather than pay tax – with tax paid on that firm’s profits instead. A £1million investment would save £400,000 in income tax.

There is no suggestion that any investor behaved illegally.

But some unscrupulous investors shelter their cash in schemes that make no profit, later recouping their investment tax-free.

Ingenious Film Partners, used by many footballers, qualified for tax breaks under rules designed to boost the UK’s film industry, helping to bankroll hit films such as Life of Pi, Hotel Rwanda and Avatar.

They are fighting the HMRC at a tribunal that was adjourned last November – and say they are “confident” of success. A spokesman for Ingenious said: “The film partnerships run by Ingenious Media have already generated over £1billion in taxable income for the Treasury.

“They helped get movies including The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, The Girl with a Pearl Earring, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz to the screen and are clearly run for profit.”

Top flight football stars and managers including England boss Roy Hodgson, Mr. Ferguson, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham and Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker were attracted by what they believed were legitimate perks.

They refute any suggestion that investment in the scheme was for tax avoidance.

Our probe reveals Manchester United topped the list of clubs whose players made investments into a raft of schemes now being probed.

They are followed by Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea, where past or present players diverted huge sums into the ventures.

Several stars have already filed for bankruptcy after losing their savings.

Two investment firms are now in liquidation. A third has had to undergo “restructuring”.

Martin Taylor, head of client relations for Rebus Investment Solutions Limited, who are working to recoup losses, says many players now face financial ruin.

He said: “We’ve seen the number of our clients with a footballing background rise significantly.

“It is sad so many independent financial advisers appear to have exploited their clients.”

Mr Taylor believes financial advisors are at fault for mis-selling the schemes, claiming some had taken advantage of players’ naivety to “foist upon them wholly inappropriate investments”.

Representatives of the players either declined to comment or failed to return our calls.

Didn't know whether this belonged here or the football/sport section.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2015, 11:48:37 pm »
My hearts bleed for them.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2015, 12:20:20 am »
“It is sad so many independent financial advisers appear to have exploited their clients.”

Well, I never imagined that would ever happen...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:38 am »
Serves them right. There often wealthy so there was no need to avoid tax.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Tax Havens, 'Secrecy Jurisdictions' and Dirty Money
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2022, 11:25:58 am »
Couldn't find a thread for this topic, but it's an issue that's probably in my top 3 most important political interests.

I'm looking forward to this article by French Magasine XXI. Hopefully it'll be eye-opening.

https://www.icij.org/inside-icij/2022/12/french-magazine-xxi-to-publish-tax-haven-special-edition-inspired-by-icij/?utm_campaign=Sprout&utm_content=&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"