Author Topic: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield  (Read 488924 times)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool have decided to redevelop Anfield?
« Reply #760 on: August 12, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »
People complain about the ticket prices now. United can have a greater spread of ticket prices due to 75k capacity, for us to match £1425 we would have to have less of a spread and more/most tickets towards the top end prices.

I'd rather see our match day revenue lower with less fans priced out of going the game than an Arsenal situation where tickets are ridiculously priced.

The 'easy' answer to increasing revenue per seat is to play more home games!

A good run of well-attended games ie., doing well in the CL can mean a 25 - 27 game season and £1450 rps at today's prices (with about 7,200 premium seats).

£72 m would be the baseline target but £85m is achievable. All we have to do is play better...

Offline RedPross

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #761 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:39 pm »
Peter with reports that he Birds Nest Stadium in Beijing is not being used.... and is costing $11m a year to maintain  hot would be the implications of making a bid for it? Could it be taken apart and rebuilt here economically? It apparently cost $450m to build..... its not being used so a sneaky $150m -$200m bid for the most ironic stadium in the world. Rework a Kop  into it....it's currently 80k capacity.

I know a bit far fetched but would it be possible?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #762 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »
Peter with reports that he Birds Nest Stadium in Beijing is not being used.... and is costing $11m a year to maintain  hot would be the implications of making a bid for it? Could it be taken apart and rebuilt here economically? It apparently cost $450m to build..... its not being used so a sneaky $150m -$200m bid for the most ironic stadium in the world. Rework a Kop  into it....it's currently 80k capacity.

Don't fancy catching the bus to Beijing to be honest
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #763 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »
I imagine it would certainly be possible, just not very probably.

Not sure why China would sell it, why we would go to the cost of doing so, or the fact we only have planning for 60k (or so) and would cost a fortune to meet the criteria to up this.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: August 13, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »

Break up God knows how many thousands of tons of concrete. Dis-assemble over 40,000 tonnes of steel and ship it over 5,000 miles (as the crow flies). Re-build the foundations and concrete superstructure and re-erect a stadium designed for athletics and enclosed by plastic sheeting in Northern England and expect it to last another 50 years. Call it the new Anfield. Cracking idea.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:28:04 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #765 on: August 13, 2012, 09:32:10 pm »
one of the most weirdest ideas ive ever heard
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #766 on: August 13, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »
one of the most weirdest ideas ive ever heard

Haha quality though, at least it has lightened up this thread.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: August 13, 2012, 09:48:47 pm »
Haha quality though, at least it has lightened up this thread.
i dunno whether to applaud it or slag it off

bravo

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: August 13, 2012, 09:52:14 pm »
Break up God knows how many thousands of tons of concrete. Dis-assemble over 40,000 tonnes of steel and ship it over 5,000 miles (as the crow flies). Re-build the foundations and concrete superstructure and re-erect a stadium designed for athletics and enclosed by plastic sheeting in Northern England and expect it to last another 50 years. Call it the new Anfield. Cracking idea.

Now you are just being picky.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: August 13, 2012, 09:54:17 pm »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #770 on: August 14, 2012, 01:55:13 am »
"costing $11m a year to maintain"

Fanciful plans for moving aside, That's a good reason not to do it right there.

On the other hand the future World Cup in Qatar will feature football only stadiums that are still being planned.  At least some of which should serve no purpose after the competition.  If FSG cpuld convince the Qataris to build a stadium in a manner so that it was designed to be dismantled and moved, that might be worth considering.

How bout it John?
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline lealiamb

• Main Stander
  • The best side drew
« Reply #771 on: August 14, 2012, 03:10:36 am »
"costing $11m a year to maintain"

Fanciful plans for moving aside, That's a good reason not to do it right there.

On the other hand the future World Cup in Qatar will feature football only stadiums that are still being planned.  At least some of which should serve no purpose after the competition.  If FSG cpuld convince the Qataris to build a stadium in a manner so that it was designed to be dismantled and moved, that might be worth considering.

How bout it John?

it is actually possible.. maybe only for spearing to play in...
  ;)

http://www.hiraganatimes.com/hp/travel/hotspot/lego-e.html
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."    - Bill Shankly

Offline RedPross

• Main Stander
« Reply #772 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »

But other than that......it might just work ;-).

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #773 on: August 15, 2012, 12:24:48 am »
Anyone have any word/images of the supposed screens that were being built into the upper Centenary?
Spirit of Shankly Membership Number 4294, Reclaim the Kop!  The King's Men

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #774 on: August 15, 2012, 12:52:12 am »

Yep, and then theyll show the whole thing on Homes Under The Hammer on BBC in the morning.
Fucking genius idea.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #775 on: August 15, 2012, 01:03:48 am »
Yep, and then theyll show the whole thing on Homes Under The Hammer on BBC in the morning.
Fucking genius idea.
^ ITK^
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:44 am »
Fucking genius idea.

I was thinking more Grand Designs.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:38 am »
I was thinking more Grand Designs.
was thinking more along the lines of "when buildings collapse"

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #778 on: August 16, 2012, 11:58:44 am »

The lesson from that is that 'unique' or 'iconic' often means expensive and the expression of someone's (or in this case some country's) ego rather than being an appropriate solution.

We should either redevelop Anfield or if we were to build a new stadium - build a football ground not an icon. It's about what goes on inside before the match, for ninety minutes on the pitch and at half time, not what it looks like from outside. If a ground is well designed the outside should express the ground's functionality. There's something visceral about seeing the underside of the stands and the stair cores. Wrapping it up in a fancy skin or a bird's nest is a waste of money.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: August 16, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
The lesson from that is that 'unique' or 'iconic' often means expensive and the expression of someone's (or in this case some country's) ego rather than being an appropriate solution.

We should either redevelop Anfield or if we were to build a new stadium - build a football ground not an icon. It's about what goes on inside before the match, for ninety minutes on the pitch and at half time, not what it looks like from outside. If a ground is well designed the outside should express the ground's functionality. There's something visceral about seeing the underside of the stands and the stair cores. Wrapping it up in a fancy skin or a bird's nest is a waste of money.

I can't remember who said here that it can be a wrinkly tin shed as long as it's full and the team are winning trophies. At the other extreme, a lot of stadia get caught up in the ego and vanity trip. A proper football ground is in between. It's practical and economical but it should still engender a sense of occasion and just a little bit of awe.

Someone else recalled the days of climbing the kop steps, hearing the crowd and the first sight of a bright green pitch (in a sea of dark clothes and sowesters no doubt - no shirt sales then). The sense of occasion and anticipation is important. It doesn't take a lot with the right mind sight. For me it's a simple, solid, 'massive', impenetrable, fortress.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:31:17 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Redblooded

• Main Stander
  • 19!! Again.... Damn it, then I wake up!
« Reply #780 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:19 am »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/17/100252-31641040/

Along with Werner touching on it in his latest interview hopefully it means progress is being made!...

I love the smell of a new season in the morning!)
FFS Group it has to be RB!  Though a second second coming in 2 years may be too much to take...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Anfield Redevelopment
« Reply #781 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:20 am »
Demolition, renovation and hotel plans for Anfield pave way for Liverpool FC to stay put

PLANS to demolish a row of derelict houses next to Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium and build a new hotel appear to have made it easier for the Reds to expand their current home.

The latest blueprints for the regeneration of housing in the Anfield area show houses on one side of Lothair Road – directly behind the stadium’s Main Stand – earmarked for demolition.

But homes on the other side and properties behind them were highlighted as proposed for “refurbishment” and/or “change of use”.

The ECHO can reveal that housing association Your Housing – formerly Arena – which owns many of the properties in the area has been working on plans for a new hotel.

Sources familiar with the proposals said they would see the fronts of a number of houses in Anfield Road, Alroy Road, Rockfield Road and one side of Lothair Road kept as they are.

But the space behind the would be redeveloped for a hotel and possible training centre.

The scheme – yet to be officially confirmed – is the strongest indication yet that Liverpool may decide to expand on their current site, rather than move to a new stadium in Stanley Park

A problem the club would have faced if it wished to expand outwards and upwards would have been that residential properties have their right to suitable levels of natural light protected by law.

But commercial properties – such as hotels – are not afforded that same protection.

Cllr Ann O’Byrne, the council’s cabinet member for housing, said the £6m scheme to redevelop housing in Anfield would ensure the area and its residents’ quality of life was improved regardless of the Reds.

Full size picture.

http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/rockfieldbig.jpg

Plans for the Rockfield area of Anfield (click to view full size) more

She added: “At long last, we are in a position to give residents in the Rockfield area some certainty about the future. They have been concerned about the lack of progress and we have made it a priority to come up with a scheme which ends years of doubt.

“The homes which are viable will be brought up to modern standards and we are keen to attract new businesses by creating commercial premises.

“Our proposals are viable regardless of whether Liverpool FC decide to move to Stanley Park.” A key issue now is whether or not the houses in Lothair Road which face demolition – a number of which are owned by the club – will be compulsorily purchased by the council or handed over by Liverpool.

They have fallen into disrepair in recent years.

A Freedom of Information request obtained by the ECHO shows there were 16 fires in the properties between 2004 and 2010 – 12 in 2004 alone, the most in any street in the area.

Today the council indicated it wished to get its hands on the properties without having to spend public money, but Liverpool could not give a firm answer as to whether this would happen.

But it stressed there was “no link” between the hotel proposals and a decision about the stadium remaining or being rebuilt in Stanley Park.

A spokesman for the Reds said: “As always, we remain collaborative and supportive of any initiatives to improve our area.

“We remain absolutely committed to supporting our community in all areas.

“The club continue to explore both options and will work closely with the council and stakeholders in supporting the regeneration of the community.”

A spokesman for Your Housing added: “There are a few developments in the pipeline at the moment, but nothing official yet.

“A lot of investment is looking to come to fruition in the area at the moment

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/17/demolition-renovation-and-hotel-plans-for-anfield-pave-way-for-liverpool-fc-to-stay-put-100252-31641040/#ixzz23moj1x8B

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:45:09 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Anfield Redevelopment
« Reply #782 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:38 am »
Odd place for a hotel?

Ok, people will come and see us once every week or two, but outside that?

Everton won't use it as their fans only walk to games they tell us.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #783 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:00 am »
Odd place for a hotel?

Ok, people will come and see us once every week or two, but outside that?

Everton won't use it as their fans only walk to games they tell us.

More than likely when no match is on it will cost around £50 a night around match days about £300.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:27 am »
Ahhh hope this happens, its been dragging on forever hopefully weve finally made that last jump and we can start to figure out how to actually expand and what not.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #785 on: August 17, 2012, 09:27:15 am »

Also worth checking out The Football Quarter Prospectus at http://www.thefootballquarter.com for what could come of the areas around Anfield and Goodison Park. Important to think of what a hotel (in this case) could be a part of in a wider regenerated area than what Anfield is currently. If you just think of how it fits in around derelict houses then nothing will ever be done.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:02:06 am by The 92A »

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #786 on: August 17, 2012, 11:29:42 am »
I can't remember who said here that it can be a wrinkly tin shed as long as it's full and the team are winning trophies. At the other extreme, a lot of stadia get caught up in the ego and vanity trip. A proper football ground is in between. It's practical and economical but it should still engender a sense of occasion and just a little bit of awe.

Someone else recalled the days of climbing the kop steps, hearing the crowd and the first sight of a bright green pitch (in a sea of dark clothes and sowesters no doubt - no shirt sales then). The sense of occasion and anticipation is important. It doesn't take a lot with the right mind sight. For me it's a simple, solid, 'massive', impenetrable, fortress.

I can still remember my very first time. I came in below the mainstand next to the kop. I was so early that there were barely 10 people in the whole ground, and so there was this special feeling, almost ghostly, but in a beautiful sense. It was me and pitch coming slowly into view as I was climbing the steps, and then I saw it and smelt it.

I am telling you, I had this very wide boyish grin, although I was deffo no boy anymore. One day, if and when I become a father, I am going to take my son/daughter, to experience the same thing.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
So it seems getting space to expand Anfield was not impossible; just needed everybody to come together and work it out.

Unless redeveloping Anfield is a significantly worse option than building a new stadium, I don't get why fans would want to move - after all Anfield is such an iconic part of Liverpool FC.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #788 on: August 27, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »
I can still remember my very first time. I came in below the mainstand next to the kop. I was so early that there were barely 10 people in the whole ground, and so there was this special feeling, almost ghostly, but in a beautiful sense. It was me and pitch coming slowly into view as I was climbing the steps, and then I saw it and smelt it.

I am telling you, I had this very wide boyish grin, although I was deffo no boy anymore. One day, if and when I become a father, I am going to take my son/daughter, to experience the same thing.

My brother used to take me and we used to get in about 1:30 so the ground was fairly empty, but the best bit was that, seeing the pitch creep into view as you stepped in
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: August 28, 2012, 03:55:41 am »
More than likely when no match is on it will cost around £50 a night around match days about £300.

The area around Anfield is still terrible and full of boarded up houses and the like. Can't see a hotel getting any business outside of match day visitors, and even most of them would probably rather stay in the city centre
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #790 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:39 am »
The area around Anfield is still terrible and full of boarded up houses and the like. Can't see a hotel getting any business outside of match day visitors, and even most of them would probably rather stay in the city centre

Important to think of what Anfield can become, rather than what it is now. Nobody would ever build anything to try and improve any area otherwise.

Check out The Football Quarter prospectus: http://www.thefootballquarter.com

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:04 am »
was the marquee thing there this weekend?

any idea how that went?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: August 28, 2012, 10:04:28 am »
Important to think of what Anfield can become, rather than what it is now. Nobody would ever build anything to try and improve any area otherwise.

Check out The Football Quarter prospectus: http://www.thefootballquarter.com

But you can't put a square peg into a round hole. A minimum-sized hotel would add over 100,000 bed nights a year or about 30 to a room for 24 home games!!! Of course, there's more to it than that but to be viable it would need to sell well, 365 days a year - not be half-full to full-full once a fortnight for nine months a year.

You could make the round hole square-ish, over time, with the Football Quarter but the visitor market will still be event (and stadium tour) based. The total visitor package must include the city centre hotels so everything works together.

Now, a hotel training school (that doesn't have the same commercial pressures) could work.

"The ECHO can reveal that housing association Your Housing – formerly Arena – which owns many of the properties in the area has been working on plans for a new hotel.

Sources familiar with the proposals said they would see the fronts of a number of houses in Anfield Road, Alroy Road, Rockfield Road and one side of Lothair Road kept as they are.

But the space behind the would be redeveloped for a hotel and
possible training centre."

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news//tm_headline=demolition-renovation-and-hotel-plans-for-anfield-pave-way-for-liverpool-fc-to-stay-put%26method=full%26objectid=31641040%26siteid=100252-name_page.html#ixzz24pYzPXZA

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 07:10:00 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #793 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
was the marquee thing there this weekend?

any idea how that went?

It wasn't up. I went to see if it was but couldn't see it anywhere.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »
It wasn't up. I went to see if it was but couldn't see it anywhere.
Ah right

thanks

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »
The marquee application was withdrawn at a planning meeting yesterday apparently.
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/595625730?-11194

LIVERPOOL FC withdrew its application for a corporate hospitality marquee from the city's planning meeting yesterday.

The club wants to put up the 12,000 sq ft tent behind Anfield to cater for 500 corporate hospitality guests over a two-year period.But the council is only allowing the club to have the marquee for a year. TheBusinessDesk understands the club withdrew the application to try and hammer out a deal with the council.The club wants to erect a 12,000 sq ft marquee behind the stadium on Anfield Road, on the site of ......for the full story register now for free or login below
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #796 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
But you can't put a square peg into a round hole. A minimum-sized hotel would add over 100,000 bed nights a year or about 30 to a room for 24 home games!!! Of course, there's more to it than that but to be viable it would need to sell well, 365 days a year - not be half-full to full-full once a fortnight for nine months a year.

You could make the round hole square-ish, over time, with the Football Quarter but the visitor market will still be event (and stadium tour) based. The total visitor package must include the city centre hotels so everything works together.

Now, a hotel training school (that doesn't have the same commercial pressures) could work.

"The ECHO can reveal that housing association Your Housing – formerly Arena – which owns many of the properties in the area has been working on plans for a new hotel.

But the space behind the would be redeveloped for a hotel and
possible training centre."

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news//tm_headline=demolition-renovation-and-hotel-plans-for-anfield-pave-way-for-liverpool-fc-to-stay-put%26method=full%26objectid=31641040%26siteid=100252-name_page.html#ixzz24pYzPXZA

Agree with that. It can't just be a hotel in isolation, but a hotel alongside other amenities and done with a wider plan can work.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: August 29, 2012, 01:01:44 pm »
The marquee application was withdrawn at a planning meeting yesterday apparently.
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/595625730?-11194

LIVERPOOL FC withdrew its application for a corporate hospitality marquee from the city's planning meeting yesterday.

The club wants to put up the 12,000 sq ft tent behind Anfield to cater for 500 corporate hospitality guests over a two-year period.But the council is only allowing the club to have the marquee for a year. TheBusinessDesk understands the club withdrew the application to try and hammer out a deal with the council.The club wants to erect a 12,000 sq ft marquee behind the stadium on Anfield Road, on the site of ......for the full story register now for free or login below

should just do it for one year then

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: August 29, 2012, 01:03:25 pm »
The whole tent thing still confuses me. Seems so random. And shabby. I'm probably thinking of the wrong tents
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #799 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »
The whole tent thing still confuses me. Seems so random. And shabby. I'm probably thinking of the wrong tents
You are. Modern marquees are unbelievably smart, they were covered (see what i did there) in this thread earlier.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."