Author Topic: What is RAWK?  (Read 388828 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Re: What is RAWK?
« Reply #480 on: May 9, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »
3. I will swear a lot but I joined a different discussion forum (about motorbikes) and the mod blocked any swear word and ban you if you swore twice. I will say apply this here as it will bring the attitude down a bit.

Good point actually. Although swearing doesn't really bother me sometimes it does make a post a lot more incendiary in tone. Not sure what the fix is as again I'm not one who likes the whole ******* thing, but it requires more self moderation.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #481 on: May 9, 2012, 01:23:32 pm »

I have a number of problems with 'likes', upvotes, and user-generated ranking online.

These are all good points. I also hope we don't turn RAWK into a popularity contest. Much of British politics and British television has been ruined by consumers with devices in their hands which allow them to press a button saying 'good' or 'bad'. It encourages the idiot in everyone.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #482 on: May 9, 2012, 01:47:48 pm »
These are all good points. I also hope we don't turn RAWK into a popularity contest. Much of British politics and British television has been ruined by consumers with devices in their hands which allow them to press a button saying 'good' or 'bad'. It encourages the idiot in everyone.   

Agree, do we really want a RAWKs Got Tallent mentality? All that it will encourage is posters to sink to the lowest common denominator when posting rather then posting something that offers a different opinion to the masses.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #483 on: May 9, 2012, 02:41:18 pm »
zuchum, yorky and west_london_red - you all sum up my feelings. Popularity is a poor guide to what is interesting or challenging. Some of the most interesting topics on the forum have a relatively low number of replies. There are a lot of threads that tick over nicely with posts and replies from a limited number of people which would never register on the top ten most liked topics or posts.

If the 'un-liked' or 'not-particularly-liked' posts and threads disappear under the weight of the popular threads it would be a real shame and ironically turn RAWK into the thing we're often (incorrectly) accused of - having a party line.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: May 9, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »
Sorry If I am repeating what has been said as I came along very late on this discussion.

1. Like any discussion forum the mods need to decide the level of freedom of speech they would like their "contributes" to have.
i) You either allow full freedom
ii) Or you moderate ALL posts for review

I happen to disagree mate, I think RAWK has worked pretty well to be fair, in opening this can of worms, Kev has fairly asked how we can make RAWK better, but it doesn't need a fundamental sea change. We don't allow full freedom for reasons I posted a few pages back, and we never will. This isn't a chat site based on anyone popping for a natter, its a Liverpoo Football Club fansite that has other areas, and will always be driven by that ethos.
However, we don't have the time nor the urge (being volunteers with other lives to lead too) to moderate every post, RAWK is pretty much self disciplinary and works well. We want to moderate the site, not select/reject every thread.

2. As moderators you need to allow your contributes to NOT agree with you and of course you not to agree with them .
Example: The manager is shit should not result on a ban because you think overwise. BUT (AND IT IS A BIG BUT) a civilized conversation should take place.

Again I respectfully disagree. For me anyone who writes the manager is shite deserves a few days off to think about what their posting and how they post it. For eg, I disagree with your thoughts here. Do I write "You're a daft wanker,fuck off" or take time to debate your points with mine. Clearly the latter is the way to go. Hence the 2nd part of your sentence I agree with. But I'll happily chuck off this site anyone who calls Kenny a wanker, or is shit.

3. I will DO swear a lot but I joined a different discussion forum (about motorbikes) and the mod blocked any swear word and ban you if you swore twice. I will say apply this here as it will bring the attitude down a bit.

"Bollocks".
 Swearing doesn't affect the site, choosing to call another poster c*nt does. Again its how you use language, not your opinion.

4. Everybody need to understand that you can NOT please everybody. Freedom of speech does NOT Mean that we all can agree on something. That would be very very boring discussion forum.
Totally agree.

So really the only way forwards is to almost moderate all posts prior been posted unless you have earned enough points to contribute freely (Mods will assign points not the number of posts you have submitted). I am not sure if that is possible or not.

That would be possible but utterly impractical to do with over 35000 members on here. It would imply no new members would come on board either and unless we have full time paid professional mods, it won't happen.

Good luck guys as I cant imagine this been even possible or easy.
Thanks!

PS. Maybe add more reviewers to approve the posts (not mods)
You would then dilute the ethos of the site and hope that all the reviewers would go along the same lines as the mods and the desired editorial stance of the site which then means you're once more moderating everything which goes against your original wish.
Yep.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #485 on: May 9, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »
It has been pointed out earlier, how annoying it is when an image is quoted and re-quoted time and time again, on the same page.

It's annoying and more importantly, slows the page loading down, greatly.

Obviously, the easiest option is to train people or discourage them from quoting the image in full, but to instead quote the post, but remove the image code from the quoted quote, before posting.

Sometimes though, when you are quoteing an image from a page or two back, it's neccessary to actually quote the image in full, to either A. make your point, or B. so people actually know what post you are quoting.

To facilitate this, is it possible for image quotes to be altered in size, the same way that you can in the 'insert flash' option used in posting video's from say youTube etc.

So in re-quoting an image, you have an option on reducing the image size, yet still be able to quote the image in full, to reference the post you are commenting on or replying to.

Something like quoting this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWaGW5pkIGM?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SWaGW5pkIGM?version=3</a>

Instead of this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWaGW5pkIGM?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SWaGW5pkIGM?version=3</a>

But for still images.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #486 on: May 9, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »
In's: Hiding the amount of posts

Out's: Chateauneuf du Pape
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: May 9, 2012, 03:43:15 pm »
Hey Hinesy sorry maybe I was not clear. I am not up to a full moderated site as it will take the fun away and it will be a huge pain in the ass for the mods.  So really if you want to summarize my opinion would be to NOT change the way the forum is ran but to EDUCATE the end user on how to use THIS forum.

The only thing that I do disagree is with point 2. You can not agree with all the guys in here but that should not make you banned from the site as long as you have a GOOD reasonable reason on why you said what you said , i.e the manager is shit.

One thing I forgot to add before is probably start purging older posts. Or limit (somehow) the number of new topics started.

The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: May 9, 2012, 03:45:58 pm »

The only thing that I do disagree is with point 2. You can not agree with all the guys in here but that should not make you banned from the site as long as you have a GOOD reasonable reason on why you said what you said , i.e the manager is shit.

If you're saying people should be allowed to have differing opinions on the manager then we allow that.

If you're saying people should be allowed to say he's shit and here are the reasons why then no, I won't allow it as long as I'm a mod here.

If you're saying people should be able to say why we should sack our manager, I still think that's the wrong approach as a Liverpool fan, and whilst debate is allowed, I'm not convinced the way I was brought up as a red that you would ever want to say that.
Yep.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #489 on: May 9, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »
It has been pointed out earlier, how annoying it is when an image is quoted and re-quoted time and time again, on the same page.

Do you want us to start issuing warnings for excessive quoting? The best solution is for people not to do it. If you want to quote a picture, you can quote the post, then just delete the image - there is the link back to the post, and it does not repeat the image...

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: May 9, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
Do you want us to start issuing warnings for excessive quoting? The best solution is for people not to do it. If you want to quote a picture, you can quote the post, then just delete the image - there is the link back to the post, and it does not repeat the image...

you learn something every day...
Yep.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #491 on: May 9, 2012, 04:05:58 pm »
Now this will put me up to be shot at , but first before i go down in flames.  i fully admit to being as bad as anyone in here at not using some commonsense when posting, especially in the match threads which you get drawn into as its like a drug.

However if I and everyone else thought is this a decent post or reply, does it add any value to the thread before they press send that might help, see I am to quick on the trigger sometimes as are a few in here.

Also Sarcasm, Irony, or general piss taking infact a lot of humour doesnt really work all that well in forums I think, for example I can make an off the cuff remark as a joke in a decent size post and then only find that remark is quoted and this completely distorts the original idea behind the post as the person has missed the joke or the joke wasnt that good anyway.

Other than that this is the best forum I reckon loads of good discussions and plenty of good advice given about most of the worlds and individual problems and events.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2012, 04:29:04 pm by geoffstrong »
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #492 on: May 9, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »

3. The RAWK Debates.  Great idea
Yep deffo. It gives a platform of a pro and con opinion that is considered and actually has weight in its arguments. The only downside is that the particular person taking on the less popular side of the debate could get about twenty replies in quick succession just saying 'bollicks' or other inance drivel. Essentially putting forward an unpopular opinion might lead to the thread being derailed by having a swarm of replies all disagreeing then it's difficult for that one person to respond to everyone.

For such debates could we have a champion (and team) for each side, rather than anyone allowed to post. Pros of Adam could be lauded by Fordy say, along with a team he picks, going up against Tepid Water and his team arguring the reverse (I picked those names radomly out of a hat). That way we would stop the button bashing winning and could end up being a decent debate.
At the risk of going too hollywood you could even schedule a date and time for this....possibly post match to give someothing else to read other than knee jerkers!

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #493 on: May 9, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »
I hope I'm not taking this back to square one, but having digested the posts from Rhi and KiNki, I've got something to add on the issue of 'venting'
I'm not at all convinced that venting should be encouraged. To me, it's akin to allowing a toddler to smear their faeces on the wall because to prevent it would "stifle their creativity". Once given room to gestate it risks contaminating the rest of the board. If we're all trying to improve the writing on this part of the site, I'd say that we shouldn't tolerate this behaviour/type of post. It doesn't contribute anything to anybody else's understanding of what went on; it just seems selfish with nothing at all for your fellow Reds.
Have a "Vent your spleen here" in The Boozer if need be, I know it's mostly harmless and inconsequential and as such it doesn't really belong on the LFC forum.

I have to take my hat off here, that was exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't put it in my own words.

I'm aware that this is a societal thing rather than a RAWK specific thing, but I don't understand for the life of me where this idea of a "right" to an opinion irrespective of it's crassness or stupidity came from. I, as a very young lad, stood on the Kop and listened and learned; I listened to blokes who had watched the 2nd Division days and I got more than a football education there - politics and music allsorts. But the most important thing I learned about was what it was to "Support" Liverpool Football Club. I'm sure there will be people who are rolling their eyes now, but you what, I don't care how cliched you think that might sound, you need to listen.

I started to come onto RAWK to continue my on-going education about the club I love; I don't mind wether that poster is 18 or 88, or indeed what club they support. I am prepared to listen and learn if they make their informed opinions in a reasonable way. For lots of people, for lots of reasons, going to Anfield or wherever isn't possible, so places like RAWK is where I look to to see the learning and experience passed on. If you understand where the Club comes from, then you understand why some can be so vocal and pro-active in defending what is understood as being the right way of doing things. The "Liverpool Way". These men and women aren't 'superfans' - God I hate that phrase - but are doing what LFC Supporters have done for decades, passing down the experience and the knowledge. Sometimes the opinions can be forceful, but then there are times you have to make yourself heard amidst the chatter and shite.

It doesn't mean that every single auld arse has the wisdom of Solomon, but there are a few who are nearly as old. I knew a couple of miserable old gits, Brothers, who had season tickets for the Kemlyn Rd and never missed a game in donkeys years; never sang, never really got worked up and moaned like mad at how rubbish the new players were compared to the old lads. They made their case by moving glasses and matches around the pub table; but you what, they never felt the need to stand on the bar and shout at the top of the voice, "Emlyn Hughes isn't a patch on Big Ron!" like some do these days. They had their opinions and they weren't always popular, but they were made with an understanding based on years of experience. This isn't disrespecting young supporters, RAWK is full of young supporters who are a credit to the club and the heritage they inherit. Some are less so, indeed some aren't even supporters or fans and I can only imagine how hard it must be to Moderate on here some times.

I don't have a problem with somebody posting opinions I don't agree with and putting forward different scenarios if they can back it up with rational and reasoned arguement. I don't often post, and do post short one-liners from time to time, but I very often go away from here to some of the lads in the other offices in work and have a natter about it. But, if all you have to offer is "(Insert name).....is shite!" then I don't think you should be allowed to post that on the main board to be honest. I don't care if you don't agree with a decision made by the Manager, he is Kenny Dalglish you are not equipped to question him. I am interested to read an informed piece about alternative formations or attacking options or whatever.... but if you presume to know more than Mr Dalglish from behind the anonimity of your computer then you should be binned for your arrogance. 

There are some superb scribes, posters and writers on here, and maybe there could be a few more RAWK blogs and opinions threads on the main forum boards, closed to posters and put up as educational threads with selected people invited to contribute based on the quality of posts in other threads. I love learning about this game of ours and still think RAWK is a superb place to do that, but we are changing and I would hate this site to go down the route of other sites.

Ever looked at the likes of the Eurosport Yahoo threads? They are disgusting, full of racist, homophobic anti everything hatred (with a real anti-scouse bile) and seemingly unmoderated. RAWK is moderated far more and I know which I would rather read.
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: May 9, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »

Using thumbnails in the original post or taking out img tags in follow up posts would also work.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #495 on: May 9, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »

I have a number of problems with 'likes', upvotes, and user-generated ranking online.

the proposed model is not actually up-voting, it's merely to approve of the content you have just read.
It's not intended to increase the ranking of the post. At best, it would change the colour of the post so that it stands out if it is particularly good.

It doesn't have to say "like", it could indeed say "dear bellend, please insert like button here".
or it could just say "i agree"

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #496 on: May 9, 2012, 04:21:46 pm »
oh, is it possible to make it easier to embed videos and add anchor links?
people are always asking how to do both.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #497 on: May 9, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »

Don't fear gents we have no intention of going down that route.  Firstly that list are not new proposals just a summation of the feedback. 

The problem I am trying to address is one of how to keep good posts visible and how to get the authors some feedback other than having people posting "This" underneath.  The example being the Round Tables, I had been a bit disappointed as they did not seem to be getting much attention yet reading this thread they are very popular.  With lots of people simply enjoying reading them and occasionally commenting.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: May 9, 2012, 04:31:01 pm »
the proposed model is not actually up-voting, it's merely to approve of the content you have just read.
It's not intended to increase the ranking of the post. At best, it would change the colour of the post so that it stands out if it is particularly good.

It doesn't have to say "like", it could indeed say "dear bellend, please insert like button here".
or it could just say "i agree"

Indeed.  It could probably be "click here if you found this article interesting"
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: May 9, 2012, 04:34:54 pm »
I have to take my hat off here, that was exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't put it in my own words.

I'm aware that this is a societal thing rather than a RAWK specific thing, but I don't understand for the life of me where this idea of a "right" to an opinion irrespective of it's crassness or stupidity came from. I, as a very young lad, stood on the Kop and listened and learned; I listened to blokes who had watched the 2nd Division days and I got more than a football education there - politics and music allsorts. But the most important thing I learned about was what it was to "Support" Liverpool Football Club. I'm sure there will be people who are rolling their eyes now, but you what, I don't care how cliched you think that might sound, you need to listen.

I started to come onto RAWK to continue my on-going education about the club I love; I don't mind wether that poster is 18 or 88, or indeed what club they support. I am prepared to listen and learn if they make their informed opinions in a reasonable way. For lots of people, for lots of reasons, going to Anfield or wherever isn't possible, so places like RAWK is where I look to to see the learning and experience passed on. If you understand where the Club comes from, then you understand why some can be so vocal and pro-active in defending what is understood as being the right way of doing things. The "Liverpool Way". These men and women aren't 'superfans' - God I hate that phrase - but are doing what LFC Supporters have done for decades, passing down the experience and the knowledge. Sometimes the opinions can be forceful, but then there are times you have to make yourself heard amidst the chatter and shite.

It doesn't mean that every single auld arse has the wisdom of Solomon, but there are a few who are nearly as old. I knew a couple of miserable old gits, Brothers, who had season tickets for the Kemlyn Rd and never missed a game in donkeys years; never sang, never really got worked up and moaned like mad at how rubbish the new players were compared to the old lads. They made their case by moving glasses and matches around the pub table; but you what, they never felt the need to stand on the bar and shout at the top of the voice, "Emlyn Hughes isn't a patch on Big Ron!" like some do these days. They had their opinions and they weren't always popular, but they were made with an understanding based on years of experience. This isn't disrespecting young supporters, RAWK is full of young supporters who are a credit to the club and the heritage they inherit. Some are less so, indeed some aren't even supporters or fans and I can only imagine how hard it must be to Moderate on here some times.

I don't have a problem with somebody posting opinions I don't agree with and putting forward different scenarios if they can back it up with rational and reasoned arguement. I don't often post, and do post short one-liners from time to time, but I very often go away from here to some of the lads in the other offices in work and have a natter about it. But, if all you have to offer is "(Insert name).....is shite!" then I don't think you should be allowed to post that on the main board to be honest. I don't care if you don't agree with a decision made by the Manager, he is Kenny Dalglish you are not equipped to question him. I am interested to read an informed piece about alternative formations or attacking options or whatever.... but if you presume to know more than Mr Dalglish from behind the anonimity of your computer then you should be binned for your arrogance. 

There are some superb scribes, posters and writers on here, and maybe there could be a few more RAWK blogs and opinions threads on the main forum boards, closed to posters and put up as educational threads with selected people invited to contribute based on the quality of posts in other threads. I love learning about this game of ours and still think RAWK is a superb place to do that, but we are changing and I would hate this site to go down the route of other sites.

Ever looked at the likes of the Eurosport Yahoo threads? They are disgusting, full of racist, homophobic anti everything hatred (with a real anti-scouse bile) and seemingly unmoderated. RAWK is moderated far more and I know which I would rather read.

"This" he said ironically.  Seriously though folks I make no apologies for quoting this again in its entirety.  RAWK DNA running right through that post because there is LFC DNA running right through that post.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2012, 04:40:16 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: May 9, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »
Indeed.  It could probably be "click here if you found this article interesting"

'click'

;)
Yep.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: May 9, 2012, 04:46:29 pm »

in my warped mind even that could lead to getting your mates to click on your posts and create a clique mentality, would there be some recognition of how many hits for example?
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: May 9, 2012, 04:52:04 pm »
in my warped mind even that could lead to getting your mates to click on your posts and create a clique mentality, would there be some recognition of how many hits for example?

No recognition whatsoever.  All you would get would be a list of users who wanted to show their appreciation for writing a particular OP. 

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: May 9, 2012, 05:02:48 pm »
No recognition whatsoever.  All you would get would be a list of users who wanted to show their appreciation for writing a particular OP. 

thats good then, just thinking of all the green and red boxes elsewhere and the fuss that creates.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: May 9, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »
If some kind of "Like" or "Recommend" system were to be implemented, it should simply be for the post itself, while not accumulating some kind of credits for the poster, which could soon turn into a bit of a popularity contest.

<edit> as has already been pointed out now, I see.

I think we all have a good idea who we usually like to read and who we don't.

« Last Edit: May 9, 2012, 06:13:08 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: May 9, 2012, 06:25:13 pm »
Maybe the quoting script can be taught to look for img and flash tags and add spoiler tags around them.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: May 9, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »
The biggest issue I have with Rawk is the fact one or 2 posters can hijack a thread that for the main part is full of sensible discussion but said posters despite having made their stance abundantly clear, feel the need to regurgiatate the same opinion time and time again without adding to the discussion. The Adam and Aquilani threads being examples. Rather then banning people outright who are in general decent posters elsewhere on the forum, I'd like to see restrictions for certain posters in certain threads if they are continually derailing what is otherwise a decent discussion.

See the locked Henderson thread for a perfect example of what I've mentioned above. The poster should be banned from the thread rather than locking it altogether.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #507 on: May 9, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »
See the locked Henderson thread for a perfect example of what I've mentioned above. The poster should be banned from the thread rather than locking it altogether.

As we've said, the report to moderator button is the best way to deal with this. It allows us to lock temporarily, clear out the relevant posts (and quotes of posts), issue a warning or PM and allow the thread to get back on track.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #508 on: May 9, 2012, 07:38:32 pm »
As the rumour silly season has begun in Liverpool, surely it is clear having a thread to post them in is a non-starter?

Had about three texts with the same rough info on.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #509 on: May 9, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »
"This" he said ironically.  Seriously though folks I make no apologies for quoting this again in its entirety.  RAWK DNA running right through that post because there is LFC DNA running right through that post.

Couldn't agree more.  Don't necessarily agree with the part about not questioning Kenny, because done respectfully, I think that's all part of the sorts of debates Liverpool fans have been having for at least 4 decades, which is how long I've been going, watching and obsessing about LFC.

On the Popularity contest, I'd be in favour of there being a bit more of a sort of 2nd tier of posters, who may not be RAWK Scribes, but usually have something interesting and valid to say (when they're not getting into arguments with the Rafa Haters eh FS???).  Perhaps your internal list could be used to add them to a widget or something which would enable those of us who usually enjoy, say, Gremista, or Fat Scouser's posts can be linked straight there?

Who cares, anyway.  RAWK is by far the best football forum on the planet BECAUSE of the ethos of the mods and the staff.  Lets not fix what isn't broken
Believe...

royhendo

« Reply #510 on: May 9, 2012, 07:56:27 pm »

Sometimes a wee breather makes a difference mate - I reckon so anyway.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #511 on: May 9, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »
Slowly reading through this. Find myself agreeing with the gist of what Scared_person, Rhi, zero_zero, kiNki and Davvo have posted so far.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #512 on: May 9, 2012, 08:12:36 pm »
As the rumour silly season has begun in Liverpool, surely it is clear having a thread to post them in is a non-starter?

Had about three texts with the same rough info on.

About Kenny, it will be deleted. About transfers, wait for the transfer forum.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #513 on: May 9, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »
Sometimes a wee breather makes a difference mate - I reckon so anyway.

I reckon you're right.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline bepoq

• a-lu-la!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #514 on: May 9, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »

This is exactly what we want to encourage, people like yourself to take the time to post thought provoking posts. It's because posters like yourself are losing the motivation that we are looking for ways to encourage you to write posts that don't get lost amongst the speculative nonsense.

I'd like to complain about the speed of this thread please, I'm only on page 5 and struggling to keep up. It is the worst combination, a fast moving thread of thought provoking posts. :)

(but thought I wanted to reply to the bove, so excuse me if this post has become irrelevant in the meantime)

I'd like to go along with the bit about thoughtful posts—I've never been much of a poster here, though been on the sight for years, and, as I'm an exile, it's been a godsend. I've also never been much for the one liner posts, nor the big long opinion pieces. When I do post it tends to be the one to three paragraph sort of length. As a few above have mentioned though, this sort of post tends to get swamped fairly quickly in a fast moving thread, and even if someone does reply, it's often so far away that I don't even see it, and so, conversation ended. I don't know if there is a way around this. Though more threads like the round table ones seems to be the way.

Couple of thoughts:

I do recall the hardline stance against "in before the lock" posts that was exceedingly successful. They very quickly stopped entirely. Perhaps this could be taken up in other cases, such as the quote with smiley, or the quote with "this". It would shorten quoting, which would reduce thread length (in inches I mean), and it would get rid of a lot of inane and not particularly useful stuff.

I also recall the attempt at * designated threads, which, at the time, seemed to me to be a brilliant idea, as it looked as though that would encourage the type of posting I like (which is, of course, what RAWK should aim for entirely because the world would be a much better place if only people consistently followed my...  oh, sorry, went off the rails there a bit). But the * thingy didn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped, and I thought it was because you mods actually went pretty easy on it and, as such, the difference between that sort of thread and others wasn't as much as it might have been.

Also, it wasn't clear who would designate a thread as such. A mod? The original poster? The original poster by request to a mod? I like the idea though because it doesn't lock anyone out, it says what it looks for in posts, it shortens and slows threads and it makes it clear that you are likely to be deleted/banned/edited. I think it had great potential and I'd like to see you give it another try. Might also add the proviso that you have to read the thread to post in it (ie, posts that obiviously haven't read the thread get deleted/heavily edited).

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: May 9, 2012, 08:52:13 pm »
I'm not a fan of the visible like button on a post, what if someone thinks 'ahh its got loads of likes, no need' or the polar opposite 'oh its been liked x times, must be good'

What I think would be good would be to have a little comment box with a + or a -, that gets put in the users profile or something for him/her only to read. So for example if I enjoyed bepoq's post I would click on the post, press + and add a comment like 'they are really good points mate' and if I didn't like say... Andy bashing Gerrard with a load of swears for hitting a hollywood ball instead of playing Shelvey(sorry Andy :D) in I'd click on the post, hit - and write something like 'what a load of tosh'.

Noone would know which post gets what rating, so their opinions would be free from bias, and the user would only know if they wanted to by checking their +s and -s.

Could even put under our custom titles '103+s and 9-s' or something?? 

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #516 on: May 9, 2012, 09:18:24 pm »
As the current RAWK X Factor champion I agree with this.

Haven't got a lot to contribute to this topic, only became aware of it properly yesterday when Jim pointed it out to me. Much of what I'd suggest has been covered by others.

Only thing I'd add is that we're often short of volunteers for in match commentary and one or two poor sods seem to do every game so perhaps we could widen the pool of volunteers for that? It's quite good fun to do and some do appreciate it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: May 9, 2012, 09:18:45 pm »
On the asterisked (*) threads we are happy to bring those back when required especially if there is demand to do so.  I think you are right, they did work. The main drawback with them is the workload for us, which probably limits how often we can have running at a time (and was probably the reason that some of the original ones never got moderated as tightly as you initially hoped).

Hope all that makes sense.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: May 9, 2012, 09:30:29 pm »
Just reiterating that the 'like' function would turn threads into popularity contests and would go a long way towards repressing dissenting views and encourage 'cliquism'.  There is a good reason it is not present in most 'serious' forums.

But it might encourage people to try and produce pieces of writing to try and garner the most 'thumbs up'.
I think this is a winner to be honest.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #519 on: May 9, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »
Definitely think some form of limiting how many times an individual can post in one specific thread per day is a great idea. I'm thinking the player threads in particular - sometimes you get arguments between two or three people (the usual suspects you might say) that go on for hours, covering the same ground ad nauseam, with no hope of agreement as positions are too entrenched and it all ends in bickering and work for the mods. I know that because I've been guilty of it many times.