Author Topic: Football Specials  (Read 24540 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Re: Football Specials
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 09:23:42 pm »
I used to jump off at Edge Hill... aul one for the aul ones.

Another auld one:

Yer auld fella should have!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 09:31:07 pm »
Similar episode at Forest, bizies stopped & came on between Speke & Edge Hill!

Was that the Uttoxeter smash and grab? I was going mad as I had a party to go to in Netherley.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

royhendo

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 09:37:25 pm »
Best new thread in years this :)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »
Another auld one:

Yer auld fella should have!
I was wondering who'd get in with that first. I knew who I should have put that bet on.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:07 pm »
Another Auld One

The best part of yer ran down your auld fellas leg.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 09:43:10 pm »
Nothing to do with footy specials. Doing one now, so thought I'd leave on this... 4 of us coming back from London in the 80's. Next thing there's wads of hamsters, loads of the bastards, running all over the train, chaos... me mate had gone in the baggae carriage, rooted boxes, found ones full of hamsters, let them loose. Spose you had to be there, funny though.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:41 pm »
Anyone get the special to Ipswich after we'd won the cup, Mick Mills got the winner? Fuckinell it was nuts.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:09 pm »
Was that the Uttoxeter smash and grab? I was going mad as I had a party to go to in Netherley.

& Here's the bizzies getting on:

Offline Justin Siderbox

• Ben L. T. Given.
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 10:29:03 pm »
Mate of mine a couple of years older than me went to Rome in 77 on the Monday 'special' from Lime Street.  Can't quite imagine what it must have been like stuck on a train for almost 3 days there, arrived in Rome about midday, and was then back on the train at midnight for the return trip.  Almost a week on the train there and back for about 12 hours in Rome!

He'd often tell of a story when the train pulled up for refueling (or something) at a small Swiss country railway station.  Basically the entire train bailed out on the platform and headed straight for the sweet shop/buttie bar.  In the space of about 2 mins the entire stock was cleared and everyone was back on the train.  The poor guy running the outfit only took a couple of quid...most of his stock found it's way into the pockets of the 2000 or so people crawling all over his counter!
"It's our job that they can forget their problems for 90 minutes and then they can talk about the game, about the next game and that's how I want to live"

Jurgen Klopp
9th October 2015

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »
Mention the 14 to West Ham 'Special' that was cancelled and made front page news in the 80's. Makes me laugh now when you speak to some of the Aul arses, everyone was one of the 14 who booked! If i counted everyone I've heard say this we would have taken 5 full specials!!
  I remember that time it was dec 76 there was a special cancelled i went on a service train from Lancaster and i stood in the chicken run with a lad from Leyland i got chased there the previous jan in the cup on the day in dec 76 myself and the lad from Leyland split up in the ground went our own ways it was shit scary there wasnt a visitors area i remember talking 2 some lads in Liverpool once we were talking about west ham and he said he had a mate who was an everton fan who went to west ham and when he got 2 upton pk there was a large group of west ham fans outside the station so this everton fan went in a shop and bought a loaf of bread and a tin of baked beans and walked down the road with them pretending 2 be a local person.
Still got the scar on the back off my head from Blackbeards truncheon all the Liverpool lads used 2 call me the Lancaster Bomber, some of the lads know me as Marsy as my full name is Graham Marsden no relation to Gerry Im 54.

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:17 pm »
& Here's the bizzies getting on:
  Isnt that blackbeard u must remember him the copper from the annie rd end he was a real hard man.
Still got the scar on the back off my head from Blackbeards truncheon all the Liverpool lads used 2 call me the Lancaster Bomber, some of the lads know me as Marsy as my full name is Graham Marsden no relation to Gerry Im 54.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2012, 10:47:19 pm »
  Isnt that blackbeard u must remember him the copper from the annie rd end he was a real hard man.

A blast from the past blackbeard the bizzie.

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2012, 11:08:04 pm »
I was with the service train mob at man utd in about 83 after the game when about must have been 300 we were walking down the arndale towards victoria when the lads did a jewellers it was ratners i couldnt believe it the windows went and every1 froze for about 20 seconds and then it was just ransaked i didnt get owt LB is a good lad i heard the police were waiting at lime st 4 the fans returning.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:58 pm »
Great thread this  :D

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline merseymack

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:47 pm »
  I remember that time it was dec 76 there was a special cancelled i went on a service train from Lancaster and i stood in the chicken run with a lad from Leyland i got chased there the previous jan in the cup on the day in dec 76 myself and the lad from Leyland split up in the ground went our own ways it was shit scary there wasnt a visitors area i remember talking 2 some lads in Liverpool once we were talking about west ham and he said he had a mate who was an everton fan who went to west ham and when he got 2 upton pk there was a large group of west ham fans outside the station so this everton fan went in a shop and bought a loaf of bread and a tin of baked beans and walked down the road with them pretending 2 be a local person.
[/quote
For an old get i wish you'd use the word'   to'   leave 2 for the kids , drives me nuts m8te

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 06:55:49 am »
A blast from the past blackbeard the bizzie.

He kicked me down the stairs at the back of the Anny and then knocked fuck out of me against Leeds, he then lifted me over the fence on to the pitch by my hair, then continued to drag me around the pitch, down the tunnel and then threw me out much to the amusement of my mates. I don't think he said one friggin word to me which is just as well as I wasn't really in the mood for a chat; I was too busy trying to maintian control of my sphincta! I was back inside before kick off but kept me head down for the duration of the activities.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 07:34:49 am »
I was with the service train mob

'Service train'? You sure you're not a cockney?

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:35 am »
Any one on the northwales/chester train to derby in the 70's, station after stoke was called longton,loads of stoke fans on platform opposite,next thing brick comes through the window,which annoyed some of our lot enough to pull the communication cord, q fuckin mayhem as loads of reds are chasing them down longton high st,only trouble was the train was fucked so they had to get another one in for us,by the time we reached the baseball ground it was half time!!
was also lucky enough to be on the rome special left lime st on the monday lunch arrived in rome on the wednesday lunch,left on the thursday morning on another relief train{cock up by the italians}had a 4 hour booze up in milan,arrived home about half ten on the friday night,a couple of hours after tommy smith's testamonial!

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 09:32:52 am »
Was that when they pulled the emergency cord and the train stopped on the level crossing? My dad told me about that haha.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:18:16 am by DougLFC94 »

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:02 am »
Was that when they pulled the emergency cord and the train stopped on te level crossing? My dad told about that haha.
dont get any ideas on the train today Doug!!

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 11:40:52 am »
Was that when they pulled the emergency cord and the train stopped on the level crossing? My dad told me about that haha.
I see your from oswestry do you know keith and brian ? they will be a few years older than myself im 51 remember me 2 them if u do they know im from Lancaster but will know me as marsy. :wave

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 12:32:29 pm »
So then, when is Seven Sisters going to get a mention? :P ........Gladly not there, but that always seems to be the more infamous ones....

Halewood jump outs always got a good baaaaaa'ing when getting off ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »
So then, when is Seven Sisters going to get a mention? :P ........Gladly not there, but that always seems to be the more infamous ones....

Was at 7 sisters when it was off its barnet, but that was 'ordinary' think the special went to Northumberland park that day.

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:11 pm »

Halewood jump outs always got a good baaaaaa'ing when getting off ;D
Do u mean the walk back 2 seven sisters in the cup game  terry mac goal 1979 now that walk was very scary spurs fans in front and behind us. :no

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »
Used them alot in the late 70's and early 80's as I was young(ish) and skint and they were more fun than the coach. Went to Paris on one in 1981 that left Lime Street at 10pm on the Tuesday and got to Paris at about mid day Wednesday, was back on the Thursday in time for a quick wash and then the parade. All very exciting for a 16yo on his own with his mates.
Went 2 paris in 81 with about 4 mates from Lancaster we went Monday morning  on the Transalpinos tickets it was an open ticket we came back saturday morning it took ages 2 get there set of 8am ish 2 london train from vic 2 dover ferry to ostende then service train 2 paris gare de nord it took 3 hours from ostende 2 paris in them days only takes about 2H 20mins from London on eurostar now surprised theres been no mention of the Transalpino tickets across europe yet.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »
The West Ham special that got cancelled was three days after we lost 5-1 at Villa and was the last Saturday before christmas. Mitigating factors perhaps. I was at Villa but didn't do West Ham that year. I was at the 2-0 cup win in 76 though. Not many there as someone said and they were hunting Scousers in the Chicken run.

Always remember going through the turnstyles keeping quiet and the first thing we seen was a lad from our local boozer the Black Bull in Walton getting taken out on a stretcher !!

So many brilliant memories of 'specials' from the seventies it would take me a day to write them.

Offline Lothairio

• Kopite
  • Facci Sognare
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »
Yes, they were shit, dead slow, jaffa used to do yer head in looking for sponsors for his next marathon and they'd break down. Other than that, best time of me life.

The ordinary was where it was at though.

Wrong forum by the way fella.
One of our equally ancient and decrepit mods will be along soon enough to move this to another more suitable forum. If they can remember where this place is of course.
Hi Chopper, was "Jaffa" the ginger haired "lad" , (if you know what I mean) who wore masty rupert bear kex, no socks, and dodgy trainees? If so, I remember him well at the aways in the early-mid 80's  :)
Hat, cap, scarf, or yer badges...

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2012, 07:35:05 pm »
coming back from villa 2-0 in 88 ? barnes header game,  took 11000 to villa think at least 1 train didnt make it back to libpool, anyone?
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »
I remember the Charity Shield at Wembley 77 first chance to av a look at Kenny.
Played the Mancs,went by train to Wembley central.
After the game back to Wembley central,Mancs on one platform us on the one opposite,very moody.
The trains come in side by side and all hands hanging out the windows throwing punches at each other.
Some things never change.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2012, 11:44:38 pm »
talking of jewllers remember either just before or just after Uttoxeter hitching to Tottenham with an Evertonian mate for Everton tottenham (how times have changed) and there's hardly any Scousers in the ground because the special had all been rounded up after a jewellers had been done in central london. Scary as fuck getting out everyone was getting picked off but we'd hitched down with a black lad who was a power lifter who we knew and was a few years older, and had a reputation  (Pete W) He wouldn't take his scarf off and just strolled out with two very scared youngsters in tow  and somehow we were one of the few who got out unscathed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:49:42 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:11 am »
So many brilliant memories of 'specials' from the seventies it would take me a day to write them.

I'm waiting!

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:05 am »
Anyone remember the FA Cup game in 1982 I think, away at Chelsea when only a few made the trip after warnings not to go in the Echo. Special went to Euston and then tube to Fulham Broadway, a very eventful day with a shit result.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
Anyone remember the FA Cup game in 1982 I think, away at Chelsea when only a few made the trip after warnings not to go in the Echo. Special went to Euston and then tube to Fulham Broadway, a very eventful day with a shit result.

Remember it well. We came out at Fulham Broadway and there was just a sea of cockneys facing us on the other side of the road with half dozen or so coppers on horseback trying to hold them back. It was not long after that Barnsley fan got sliced up at Anfield and that was all over the papers. I recall as the Chelsea were trying to kill us they were shouting 'where's your stanleys'.

Relieved to get into the ground then all hell broke loose, but to be fair our lads were giving it back as well (not me sensibly). A mate back in Liverpool said Grandstand went live to show the violence.

A very scary day but memorable all the same. And we got beat !

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »
I'm waiting!

Love to but some of us have got work to go to ! Try Nicky Allt's The Boys from the Mersey. Good book that. Some factual mistakes in there but generally a good read

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »
Love to but some of us have got work to go to ! Try Nicky Allt's The Boys from the Mersey. Good book that. Some factual mistakes in there but generally a good read
Thanks for the shout, I'm ordering it now :)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
Wasn't that Chelsea game when we got warned not to go, after Chelsea fans killed that lad in Southport. Threw him through a shop window and left a calling card on him?
I hated them cockney sides. Was in Brighton one Saturday and Millwall played them. What a gang of c*nts, done up in bin bags with surgical masks on.
Never got into the violence meself, couldn't see the point in knocking fuck out of some bastard for nothing. Just not my cup of tea. Come unstuck a couple of times meself though. And defo the worst ones I ever saw...
Maine Road, FA Cup semi-final replay, and Rome when we down them in their own back yard.

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »
I see your from oswestry do you know keith and brian ? they will be a few years older than myself im 51 remember me 2 them if u do they know im from Lancaster but will know me as marsy. :wave
Yeah I know Keith and Brian :) They were on our bus down to wembley and I got a lift with them to the game Sunday, in the stanley before kickoff  :)

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 09:26:50 pm »
dont get any ideas on the train today Doug!!
;D ;D

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 12:10:27 am »
Yeah I know Keith and Brian :) They were on our bus down to wembley and I got a lift with them to the game Sunday, in the stanley before kickoff  :)
I thought you would know them ive got a mate called mell who still goes he says he sees them now and again  i think he said hes seen them in the park at the back of the kop or maybe the stanley give them both a  :wave from me.

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2012, 04:49:50 pm »
Are they running Football specials to the semi finals   :wave
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:55:07 pm by Lancaster Bomber »