Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 131956 times)

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #2000 on: March 8, 2012, 07:26:44 pm »
Yeah, cos it's taken Juan Mata, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Damba Ba, Scott Parker, Adebayor, Sergio Aguero, over a year to make an impact at their respective clubs. Hell, even Chamberlain, an 18 year old (and only just) has shown more in a few appearances than Downing, Adam and co have over the course of most of the season.

People need to take their specs off. The last few transfer windows have looked more and more like a train crash.

All these players you mentioned were part of 1 or 2 adjustments not an overhaul. Scott Parker has slotted into a ready made midfield whereas Adam, Downing and Hendo are all new and they are the midfield, go along with Lucas and Gerrards injuries and thats the difference. We haven't had a consistent midfield this season.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2001 on: March 8, 2012, 07:28:41 pm »
All these players you mentioned were part of 1 or 2 adjustments not an overhaul. Scott Parker has slotted into a ready made midfield whereas Adam, Downing and Hendo are all new and they are the midfield, go along with Lucas and Gerrards injuries and thats the difference. We haven't had a consistent midfield this season.

what are you on about, mate?  we have no problems in midfield, everything is great, we just don't finish our chances.

::)

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: March 8, 2012, 07:28:52 pm »
This thread is full of people either completely overreacting or moaning about Comolli and making ever so sly digs at the transfer policy.

Can't believe this thread is still going....50+ pages over a comment that could be total tactical BS from DC.....
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #2003 on: March 8, 2012, 07:32:00 pm »
Can't believe this thread is still going....50+ pages over a comment that could be total tactical BS from DC.....

It's not just 'over a comment' though.

This thread's about discussing what we think are our weaknesses and  which positions should we address in the summer.

Offline Aaronb121

• Kopite
« Reply #2004 on: March 8, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »
Why not? It's not like he's asking low-profile people to follow back. The message might be just to confirm it's not a fake account.

"Ozil does not have any official Twitter account, claims teammate Khedira."

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2005 on: March 8, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »
Is that the Anfield-bound Khedira? ;)
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #2006 on: March 8, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

or it could be the truth.

They said in January nothing would happen.  None of us believed it because of our obvious weaknesses.

And yet... nothing happened.

So why should we think Comolli isn't being serious about this too?

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #2007 on: March 8, 2012, 07:34:51 pm »
Is that the Anfield-bound Khedira? ;)

He's done well for himself since he left has ol' Milan.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #2008 on: March 8, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »

I stand corrected then (even though you never said where that quote is coming from). Just thought it's odd for a fake account to have 60k followers. But then again what do I know, I rarely use twatter.

The most imporant thing is though there's a better chance of us winning the league this year than signing Ozil in the summer...

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2009 on: March 8, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »
or it could be the truth.

They said in January nothing would happen.  None of us believed it because of our obvious weaknesses.

And yet... nothing happened.

So why should we think Comolli isn't being serious about this too?

Either way...50+ pages for nothing.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #2010 on: March 8, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »

guess it depends on your definition of "for nothing."

Some of us think that everything is fine.

Some of us think that there are more than 1-2 areas that need to be addressed, sorely.  Not just "adjustments," but overhauls.

If that is "nothing," then there really is no point in having a forum at all.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: March 8, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »
Anybody watched Insua today?

Think it was a mistake to let him go, would be more than offering competition for Enrique. His, Insuas, quality in attack would have been useful this season for us.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2012 on: March 8, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »
Anybody watched Insua today?

Think it was a mistake to let him go, would be more than offering competition for Enrique. His, Insuas, quality in attack would have been useful this season for us.

At least wait till next week when he gets raped by Adam Johnson before passing judgement.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2013 on: March 8, 2012, 08:04:12 pm »
At least wait till next week when he gets raped by Adam Johnson before passing judgement.

Are you Samantha Morton in Minority Report?

You better call the police and let them know

Offline dast18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2014 on: March 8, 2012, 08:12:01 pm »
Are you Samantha Morton in Minority Report?

You better call the police and let them know

;D
Insua looked good today though. Really offers something in the final third, good crossing and passing. Still not the quickest player around, but I would not have a problem with having him in the squad. Decent player, and I think he counts as 'homegrown' for LFC?
If he was Dudek would've saved it...and there would be no film.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2015 on: March 8, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »
;D
Insua looked good today though. Really offers something in the final third, good crossing and passing. Still not the quickest player around, but I would not have a problem with having him in the squad. Decent player, and I think he counts as 'homegrown' for LFC?

All good reasons for selling him... oh wait... why exactly did we let him go? High wages couldn´t have been the problem either.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #2016 on: March 8, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »

it's an internet forum.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2017 on: March 8, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
;D

Yes, homegrown. Can probably speak a fair bit of English. Premier league tried and tested. Smart kid who likes to play pass and move football - positive and unafraid of receiving possession. Strong and has plenty of stamina (can run all day). Crosses well, in fact: probably a better attacker than our own leftback.

Unfortunately, he would probably cost a few million.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2018 on: March 8, 2012, 08:19:55 pm »
All good reasons for selling him... oh wait... why exactly did we let him go? High wages couldn´t have been the problem either.

Gerrard plays in his position?
Ah fuck it, our transfer policy is beyond me..outtahere..

Offline graaf_x

• Kopite
« Reply #2019 on: March 8, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »
I hope we will do some business before Euros. In ideal world it would be fantastic if we signed, for example, Giroud and paid for him 10 million in June, before he succeeds in Ukraine & Poland and therefore would cost twice the amount. That's what I call good scouting.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 08:44:08 pm by graaf_x »

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #2020 on: March 8, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »
I hope we will do some business before Euros. In ideal world it would be fantastic if we signed, for example, Giroud and paid for him 10 millions in June, before he succeeds in Ukraine & Poland and therefore would cost twice the amount. That's what I call good scouting.

Signing him for £2million back in 2010 would have been good scouting...
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 08:44:16 pm by cezred »
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2021 on: March 8, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »

Goes without saying that Roy should have kept him last season. That loan pushed him out of our plans. To think we paid to replace him with Konchesky... Still think we should have kept Insua. The natural change would have been to let go off Aurelio instead.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Rafas_Heroes

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2022 on: March 8, 2012, 09:02:58 pm »
Nothing of note will happen until the £35 million pound elephant in the room either starts performing like the 8th most expensive player, ever, or is sold for a minimal loss. I'd even add Downing to that equation as well

Not knocking Andy as none of this is his fault (transfer fee) but Downing has been woeful, FSG must think Kenny and Comolli were taking the piss spending £55 million on those two

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: March 8, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »
the natural change would have been to let go off Aurelio instead.

Which we had done so already. He wouldn't take a pay as you play deal and was let go.

But then our Cecil, signed him back of a full pay deal, for a two year contract, playing 21 games last season and 2 this season.

Insua played 19 for Gala last season (and was fit the entire time) and has played 28 this for Sporting, including 4 goals.

Good job we had Cecil and Roy to fix the mistakes of the rafa years

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #2024 on: March 8, 2012, 09:22:36 pm »
Nothing of note will happen until the £35 million pound elephant in the room either starts performing like the 8th most expensive player, ever, or is sold for a minimal loss. I'd even add Downing to that equation as well

Not knocking Andy as none of this is his fault (transfer fee) but Downing has been woeful, FSG must think Kenny and Comolli were taking the piss spending £55 million on those two

Fooling no one.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2025 on: March 8, 2012, 09:27:11 pm »
I agree. But it´s not the mentality only, it´s the individual class of some players. The right mentality and confidence comes from quality, being good in the frist place. Or in the case of ManU, from the trust in the likes of Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Hernandez and maybe Berbatov being able to make the difference due to simply being better in playing football. The right mentality with a lack of quality is not enough on a regular basis, if you wanna win the majority of your games week in, week out.

This is what we need, more of those top quality boys. IF we bring them in, we will be coming very strong as the foundation is pretty much there. The mentality will come as a consequence then...
Say's something about the prem when Scholes and Giggs are still bossing games rather than meeting and greeting in Old Trafford hospitality. It is also the fear factor they induce in most teams, beaten before they started. Been watching Bilbao rip into them this evening, a very pretty sight, without fear. Rooney I give you and Nani too on his day but the rest are average...but with a supreme confidence and a team ethic which the other fellah demands.

That didn't come overnight and it will take Kenny time. He needs another two season though and I contend it will be given so intrinsic is he to the future wellbeing of the club. We have bright owners who see the big picture as their Red Sox dealings suggest. The quality you speak of is there I believe with a core of Pepe, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Suarez and Henderson, all still improving I suggest and in need of high stake games to take them to the next level. Coates, Downing and Enrique too can step up in given circumstances and I haven't written Carroll off just yet. Bellamy, Gerrard and maybe Dirk have another season left , therefore my contention is that another striker and wide mid will bolster the squad enormously. Add in a couple of youngsters like Jonjo, Sterling and my prediction for the step up to the first team, Silva, makes us potentially formidable over time. I'm no superfan just quietly optimistic Kenny is building a really good squad.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 09:37:38 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2026 on: March 8, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »
Say's something about the prem when Scholes and Giggs are still bossing games rather than meeting and greeting in Old Trafford hospitality. It is also the fear factor they induce in most teams, beaten before they started. Been watching Bilbao rip into them this evening, a very pretty sight, without fear. Rooney I give you and Nani too on his day but the rest are average...but with a supreme confidence and a team ethic which the other fellah demands.

That didn't come overnight and it will take Kenny time. He needs another two season though and I contend it will be given so intrinsic is he to the future wellbeing of the club. We have bright owners who see the big picture as their Red Sox dealings suggest. The quality you speak of is there I believe with a core of Pepe, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Suarez and Henderson, all still improving I suggest and in need of high stake games to take them to the next level. Coates, Downing and Enrique too can step up in given circumstances and I haven't written Carroll off just yet. Bellamy, Gerrard and maybe Dirk have another season left , therefore my contention is that another striker and wide mid will bolster the squad enormously. Add in a couple of youngsters like Jonjo, Sterling and my prediction for the step up to the first team, Silva, makes us potentially formidable over time. I'm no superfan just quietly optimistic Kenny is building a really good squad.

Yes. The thing is though, ManU are fucked big time as they STILL depend on Giggs and Scholes in the PL. In Europe this isn´t enough and this year shows their quality problems within the squad big time as they just sold too much quality over the years. Without Rooney there are plain average just like the majority of the PL.

From our point of view that´s all just positive. Arsenal will recover, City will stay strong but with the right signings we can make our way up in the league and after a couple of seasons think of making our way up in Europe as well. Unbelievable that it´s only a couple of years ago when we already have been there...

After all I am optimistic again as I think that Kennys vision of football is just right and Clarke his perfect tactical assistent. They way they wanna have us play is to be seen and although we are not there yet we are on a good way. In my opinion we will NEED three top players, attacking midfield, striker and left back for a start and then the new season can come..

On a final note... I watched the Bilbao game as well... what a game of football!! It showed the difference between Spanish football and the english league at the moment..What a joy to see how they showed this commercial ManU what a real football club is all about... passion, attacking football and singing fans... that´s football!!
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 10:14:00 pm by steveeastend »

Offline Suarez7Carroll9

• Main Stander
  • Has Carroll in his username, but hates him really.
« Reply #2027 on: March 8, 2012, 10:08:46 pm »
Olivier Giroud looks like a top player. Reminds me of Van Persie. He is the player Carroll should have been.

Good touch, good pace, good movement, dominant in the air, two footed and most importantly scores lots of goals, the predatory instinct we are currently lacking.

Someone like him would be great but Montpellier are 2nd in the league, look certain for Champions League Football, hopefully they get knocked out before the summer transfer window ends so we can snap him up... I thought they were near the relegation zone until today. Him and a young prospect like Texeira who has great potential would be great. Will get a start every 3 or 4 games.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2028 on: March 8, 2012, 10:10:04 pm »
Prices for Munian, Llorente and Martinez probably just went up 5 miillion each after that performance against the Mancs.

Not like we'd have a chance at getting any of them anyway..

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #2029 on: March 8, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
that iker muniain from Atletico belbao is spuerb
he bossed the manc
please Comolli sign him

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: March 8, 2012, 10:16:48 pm »
Muniain, Soldado, Martinez.

Problem solved.

We should go full throttle for young Iker, what a player.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2031 on: March 8, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »
Prices for Munian, Llorente and Martinez probably just went up 5 miillion each after that performance against the Mancs.

Is it depressing that this Bilbao team cost less than Andy Carroll?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2032 on: March 8, 2012, 10:17:59 pm »
Yes. The thing is though, ManU are fucked big time as they STILL depend on Giggs and Scholes in the PL. In Europe this isn´t enough and this year shows their quality problems within the squad big time as they just sold too much quality over the years. Without Rooney there are plain average just like the majority of the PL.

From our point of view that´s all just positive. Arsenal will recover, City will stay strong but with the right signings we can make our way up in the league and after a couple of seasons think of making our way up in Europe as well. Unbelievable that it´s only a couple of years ago when we already have been there...

After all I am optimistic again as I think that Kennys vision of football is just right and Clarke his perfect tactical assistent. They way they wanna have us play is to be seen and although we are not there yet we are on a good way. In my opinion we will NEED three top players, attacking midfield, striker and left back for a start and then the new season can come..

On a final note... I watched the Bilbao game as well... what a game of football!! It showed the difference between Spanish football and the english league at the moment..What a joy to see how they showed this commercial ManU what a real football club is all about... passion, attacking football and singing fans... that´s football!!

We used to be the Basque equivalent here, sadly no longer the case but yes it was a sparkling performance by a team with no fear and expect them to finish the job off comfortably next week. You're not a fan of Enrique? What about young Robbo?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline KopCats

• Kemlynite
  • ***** UUUUAHHH
« Reply #2033 on: March 8, 2012, 10:22:28 pm »
Muniain, Soldado, Martinez.

Problem solved.

We should go full throttle for young Iker, what a player.

If only. we probably for someone else, some talented english youngster while these three pick a team of their choosing.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2034 on: March 8, 2012, 10:23:36 pm »

lorente and martinez both look made for the premier league

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2035 on: March 8, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »
lorente and martinez both look made for the premier league

Yep, too bad we had that 30m offer for Llorente rejected before splashing out on Andy.

Martinez will be the best player in his position in a few years time.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: March 8, 2012, 10:27:28 pm »
We used to be the Basque equivalent here, sadly no longer the case but yes it was a sparkling performance by a team with no fear and expect them to finish the job off comfortably next week.

They may not win, but both Ajax and Bilbao have beaten them at OT. That did not happen just a year or two ago.

The way Bilbao played was an eye opener to me. We tend to talk about the best players, that those are the ones we need. Then we quickly say we can't get them, so we must spend fortunes on average players. If anything, Bilbao, and Ajax have shown you don't need the best of the best to play very good football. These are not superstars who cost fortunes, but the way they played was brilliant. We should be able to sign players from for example Bilbao. Not because we are a better side (at least not now), but because we should have the money to sign their players. Even their best players should be within reach.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2037 on: March 8, 2012, 10:30:00 pm »
We used to be the Basque equivalent here, sadly no longer the case but yes it was a sparkling performance by a team with no fear and expect them to finish the job off comfortably next week. You're not a fan of Enrique? What about young Robbo?

I think that Enrique is a physically strong defender but could use some competition when it comes to the passing and overall game intelligence in the final third. I think he is alright but considering that way Kenny wants to set up our play, pass and move, his passing and movement off the ball in attack is one dimensional and predictable most of the time. I know what you mean with your comparison and what Liverpool used to be all about in terms of the football played on the pitch and actually was thinking about this when watching the Bilbao game. With a couple of improvements we could be coming close to this in the near future considering the way we played already in a couple of games so far. The physical strength and foundation of the squad is there, now we have to add the technique sparkle ;)

Robinson may come good and for sure is a talented lad but I was refering mainly to next season which I think would be too early for him playing a major role, rotating with Enrique f.e.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 10:33:22 pm by steveeastend »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: March 8, 2012, 10:34:10 pm »
Sid Lowe ‏ @sidlowe  Reply  Retweeted  Favorite · Open
Gorka €4m. San José €3.5m (bought back). Ander H €8.5m. Martínez €6m. De Marcos €360,000. So, €22.36m unless I've missed someone.

And we paid almost the same amount for one Stewart Downing  :butt :butt :butt

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2039 on: March 8, 2012, 10:37:32 pm »
Sid Lowe ‏ @sidlowe  Reply  Retweeted  Favorite · Open
Gorka €4m. San José €3.5m (bought back). Ander H €8.5m. Martínez €6m. De Marcos €360,000. So, €22.36m unless I've missed someone.

And we paid almost the same amount for one Stewart Downing  :butt :butt :butt

That's in Euros, so we paid more.

:wave