Author Topic: The New Wembley Stadium  (Read 28994 times)

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
Re: The New Wembley Stadium
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:12 am »
Disappointed that the Cardiff fans let themselves down by booing a certain Redman.
Made themselves look like small-time Charlies.
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline aerorossi29

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2012, 11:19:40 am »
Really enjoyed it, most likely because i was in cup final mode from the Saturday morning until yesterday.

Had seats right on the front row in block 119 and usually i hate sitting so close to the pitch but it was a great spec and it is hard not to be impressed by the stadium.

The atmosphere or lack of it is interesting for me. Parts of our section sounded really good and loud, but around where i were with my missus was dead. Cardiff sounded loud but indistinct if that makes sense and it appears that way watching back on the tv.

Was really annoyed that within 30 seconds of the kick off was asked to sit down by an old fella directly behind me. I obliged but was gutted and it robbed a little bit of the atmosphere for me personally. Not only that but everytime i stood up or jumped up, if i stayed stood for longer than he thought necessary then i would get a tap on the shoulder and asked again to sit down as he did not want to stand. He spent most of the game watching the screen and at the end of the match he had the tumerity to admit to not even being a red, he was from the midlands and only travels to watch the liverpool games to be with his daughter. I was gobsmacked, i asked how he got a ticket and he said something along the lines of its about who you know. I was stunned, and to think that out of politeness i sat down for this guy.

Only been to Cardiff once, and i think the overall experience is better there, from the location, beer, pubs etc but for me, purely for allocation reasons Wembley would be my choice as it gives more fans the option of going to see the lads.

I want to finish by saying that on the Saturday night met loads of Reds, most without tickets and had a top night in the pubs, also met a fair few Cardiff lads and lasses who were also top notch, even the Chelsea fans who owned the the sports bar were a good laugh. Had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend culminating in winning a trophy, what more can you ask for.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:13 am »
Lacked any character compared to the old Wembley, very Americanised and sanitised. I was in 524 and felt miles from the pitch. Loads of those around looked like they'd never been to a match before as well. Both sets of fans were hit and miss and the announcer made it sound like Old Trafford, constantly telling us where we were and what the score was. We KNOW!!
It did feel like a normal home game at times, the amount of moaning and abuse some of ours were dishing out.

I was in 525 and it was the same there. A lot of people didn't have a clue. You don't have to be a super fan to go to the game but you should at least be a fan! We bought the dear tickets because Mrs Theoldkopite has difficulty seeing the game when everyone stands (short arse) but even she said that if we play there again we are going behind the goal and standing - and she is very much anti-standing!!!

Offline lucas leivas #1 fan

• Anny Roader
  • twitter: @Ciaran_CP
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:57 am »
Too many knobs in the upper tiers wanting to stand, spoiling it for the numerous kids there with their dads. No consideration for others especially when the view is so good, the stewards couldn't give a toss.
Also had two fellas fall asleep during the game they where that pissed!
And to think proper fans missed out

guess im one of those upper tier knobs then am I? maybe we shouldnt sing at the game either? are you that moody cow who asked me to sit down?! Its a final I can't believe anyone was sitting down!
Follow me on Twitter: @Ciaran_CP

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2012, 11:49:10 am »
So many twats who just slag off our players but never sing and support the team, i had one fella calling gerrard everything you could imagine.

I was sat next to a fella doing the exat same thing! luckily a few lads round me wanted to get songs going too

as for everyone saying its the non regular match goers I dont think theres a correlation, I have been to 1 game this season since moving from Manchester to London last summer and went with 2 lads who aren't regular match goers who sang their herts out for 90 mins
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:55:47 am by lucas leivas #1 fan »

Offline balticred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »
Thought the stadium was pretty impressive technically (except toilet blocks). Great for watching an event - good views, comfortable seats, loads of legroom, well organised, big screens, wide concourse, effective bars / food (at least when I tried before KO) etc.

However, atmosphere wise,  it was very difficult to get going. Too often lots of random noise / different songs at same time etc. Not sure that was just the stadium tho - thought our end was hit and miss support wise. I guess in a stadium like that with such a big crowd the 'regular' crowd are both split up and diluted.

Had three people near me who were at their first ever game!!!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:06:21 pm by balticred »

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2012, 12:08:07 pm »
Did any areas off the our support sit down during the match? i was in 115 and on my feet all match, but i want to take my grandad to the semi's if we get there and he would need to sit.

cheers lads
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »
Did any areas off the our support sit down during the match? i was in 115 and on my feet all match, but i want to take my grandad to the semi's if we get there and he would need to sit.

cheers lads

Upper tiers seemed to be sitting down. We were in 525 (upper - near halfway line) and sat all through the game - apart from the penalties. Only drawback is the cost!!

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »
Upper tiers seemed to be sitting down. We were in 525 (upper - near halfway line) and sat all through the game - apart from the penalties. Only drawback is the cost!!

they the £90 tickets mate? good seats? (for view)
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
You sound so Preston there 'bitski  Got really ill on Sat evening and ended up in UCLH rather than Wembley. Still here unfortunately. Feel fine now though.

Feedback from my brother as compared to how it came across has to be that design makes it hard to hear your own fans.

That's not a good thing to come across then, need to change my ways! Least you are better now then, shall be more games for you to get too not so long off, sure of it.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
Maybe I'm in the minority but I was quite impressed with the new Wembley (or maybe I just remember the shit hole that was the old Wembley) Few quibbles of course.

Hadn't realised that the central tier was reserved entirely for the corporates ( had a mate who wrangled a way into one of these and whilst their party was all reds it was the champagne and wine brigade). You inevitably lose something of the atmosphere when there's this artificial separation between your most passionate and vocal supporters.

No matter what ground you're at these days I always feel if you're in a seat in the highest sections you feel somehow distant from what's going on. You lose the intimacy of being a fan, right next to the action, and you become more a spectator. Not by choice, it just seems to happen. Certainly seemed to be the case where I was (503)

Also is it just me being a short arse or is their a basic design fault with the stadium? In 503 I couldn't see anything of the cup presentation or where it was being presented. It seemed to be out of my line of sight. I had to watch it on the big screen.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43:38 pm »
Didn't like the atmosphere at all, it just doesn't work. Best bet is as soon as you hear a song join onto that. But the noise wasn't there at all. I thought that the lower tier would be bouncing and booming, just didn't happen. When we took the lower tier in the San Siro against Internazionale, there were probably about 6000 and we could get it going. So i think the problem must be the design of it.

Toilets were shocking, nowhere near big enough. Queued up at half time and missed kick off of the second half. I think the two blocks 110 and 109 shared these, but definitely not big enough.

I didn't buy any food or drink in the ground, the FA don't get anymore of my money.

The view was good, it was more elevated in the lower tier than i imagined.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:29 pm »
This thread reminds me of Istanbul. The winning definitely taints the perception. Like the Attaturk Wembley is in an area that is basically a shithole with nothing other than watch football to do. It's easier to get to than the Attaturk but once there its shite.

We were obviously spoiled with our many trips to Cardiff and Wembley as a venue will never come close.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »
watched it in the globe when pubs around wembley started charging to stay in ,cheeky c*nts take your money all day, big queues outside the pub when i left though.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:28 pm »

Good view but a little high for us and a bit far away from the pitch. Difficult to get perspective because of the height. They were the £90 seats. 

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2012, 01:14:07 pm »
another issue i forgot to raise, the stewards. if you go to the toilet after the first half of extra time we cant let you back in? fuck off as if i'm listening to that. toilet police

Really? I went for a piss then and nobody said anything.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2012, 01:18:56 pm »
watched it in the globe when pubs around wembley started charging to stay in ,cheeky c*nts take your money all day, big queues outside the pub when i left though.

What time did the Globe close? We all arranged to meet there after the match and when I got there about 8.00 it was closed! Mind you there were a few pubs in central London closed on Sunday night. Is that a usual thing?

Offline Road End Sikh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:05 pm »

I was in 524 and they were £56.....good view apart from feeling like you are watching it, sitting on the Moon and an atmosphere to match.  ;-)
LFC    then   now   always

Offline Sevo

• Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy joy.
  • Kopite
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2012, 01:23:37 pm »
I was in 510 and I must admit I was impressed with the sheer size of the stadium. However I was standing for most of the match as those further down were allowed to stand with no stewards around. This was no problem when I was a young Koppite, but as as auld arse these days, my legs were knackered. As for the toilets, who sanctioned a £750m stadium with no urinals? I much prefer Cardiff, a brilliant stadium in a special location.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:36 pm »
Everyone seems to be upset about Wembley, no atmosphere, too many corporates etc but if the two cancers had there way the New Anfield would of felt exactly the same, corporate boxes in the Kop? SMH  :butt :butt :butt

There were never any corporate boxes in the Kop.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2012, 01:47:53 pm »
i was in row 2 of 113 and it was boss , stood all day and had a great time, mens bogs outside 113 were locked what was that all about, other than that spot on
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2012, 02:49:51 pm »
Can't agree with those who say you get a good view at Wembley.  Low down, the rake is so shallow that you feel too low down.  Once you start to get back far enough to be able to get any sort of aerial perspective, you're far further away than you really should be in a modern stadium.  Being at the front of the upper tier is like being at the back of the Kop in terms of distance.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »
By the way i had a ticket marked with a J in black marker pen. Was that for a Junior?
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Meako1977

• Legacy Fan
  • King of the Kop
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2012, 04:58:26 pm »
Got to say I was impressed with Wembley. Stunning building from the outside and really looks the part in the dark. Inside it was like most other stadiums except for the leg room. Quality! 6'3 and being able to sit down without my knees being battered by the chair infront! In 503 and view was fantastic. Could actually watch the whole game in perspective but atmosphere was pretty shite.

Biggest issue for me was the number of knobheads around me who didnt have a clue but that probably reflects the tickets sales for the final. If ever there was a reason not to set your qualifiying criteria on one game this was it.

Will look forward to another visit on the 14th!
Born in Liverpool, raised a red, lived as a red and will die as a red. YNWA

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2012, 05:45:54 pm »
Just a bigger version of The Emirates for me. There's no real distinguishable feature, the arch is nothing we haven't seen before, The Reebok's got about four of them! Just another to add to the growing list of modern, identikit stadiums popping up around the country, albeit on a grander scale.

Agree with this, Wembley is very similar to the Emirates. And anyone who's been there for an away day will know how shite the atmosphere is there too.

It's a different story for a different day but i seriously hope we don't go down the bowl route if we move to a new stadium.

Offline iwear no colours

• which helps with the washing a hell of a lot, let me tell you
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06:18 pm »
guess im one of those upper tier knobs then am I? maybe we shouldnt sing at the game either? are you that moody cow who asked me to sit down?! Its a final I can't believe anyone was sitting down!

Glad you know your place young sir

Offline Tony Drago

• Main Stander
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »
I had two whoppers behind me saying the only person performing on the day was Skrtl and no one else in the squad was doing anything,

I'd say they were probably right. We were the better side but played very poorly in general. Aside from Skrtel and possibly Downing, the rest were poor.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
was in row 11 in 516 anyone else see the family of 4 leave with about 10 minutes of normal time to go :no

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »
Maybe I'm in the minority but I was quite impressed with the new Wembley (or maybe I just remember the shit hole that was the old Wembley) Few quibbles of course.

Hadn't realised that the central tier was reserved entirely for the corporates ( had a mate who wrangled a way into one of these and whilst their party was all reds it was the champagne and wine brigade). You inevitably lose something of the atmosphere when there's this artificial separation between your most passionate and vocal supporters.

No matter what ground you're at these days I always feel if you're in a seat in the highest sections you feel somehow distant from what's going on. You lose the intimacy of being a fan, right next to the action, and you become more a spectator. Not by choice, it just seems to happen. Certainly seemed to be the case where I was (503)

Also is it just me being a short arse or is their a basic design fault with the stadium? In 503 I couldn't see anything of the cup presentation or where it was being presented. It seemed to be out of my line of sight. I had to watch it on the big screen.
Old wembley was the west place to see a game of football I've ever been to.

Behind the goal and you could see virtually nothing of the game....

Dreadful stadium, appalling facilities and I was glad to be rid of it.

The new one is flawed because of its size (the camp nou has many flaws too) but its better in almost every way possible.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:29 pm »
You couldn't do better than this thread and the locked JWH/Suarez thread to point out the dangers of a 'modern' stadium design combined with the power of the sponsors needed to build it.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:15:08 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »
was in row 11 in 516 anyone else see the family of 4 leave with about 10 minutes of normal time to go :no

At the 2005 League Cup Final, the chap next to me left at half time!!!!

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »
......I saw fish and chips for like 9.20 ..........
When you say "like £9,20"  do you mean £6,20 or £9,02 or £20,90 as they are all a bit like £9,20 ?
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2012, 08:12:12 am »
You couldn't do better than this thread and the locked JWH/Suarez thread to point out the dangers of a 'modern' stadium design combined with the power of the sponsors needed to build it.

Was thinking that, whoever decides the design of the "new" (still hoping it wont be new) stadium better take note of this thread.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
I miss Cardiff.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

phil_j_420

« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2012, 08:57:02 am »
I was in 126, the View was great, and was really impressed with the stadium although Wemberly itself is a shithole.  We ended up having to sit all game as one fella behind us kept telling us to sit down and then the stewards got involved.  Couldn't believe some of the knobheads behind me as well, just moaned and slagged the team off all game, then when Henderson came off, one of them actually shouted "Yeah Fuck Off Henderson".  Cant believe as well, some old couple stopped us in the car park before the game to ask us who Liverpool were playing today!!!!

• Anny Roader
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:42 am »
Glad you know your place young sir

considering you can't grasp why anyone wanted to stand and support their team all game it doesn't really surprise me that you have failed to grasp sarcasm either

Offline karlhlfc8

• Kemlynite
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:10 am »
Was in 112 and it was full of whoppers. Big final and I go a large proportion of away games - 10 mins in and people were sitting down reading their programmes. Everyone is entitled to do what they please but this takes the piss.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2012, 10:29:53 am »
Was thinking that, whoever decides the design of the "new" (still hoping it wont be new) stadium better take note of this thread.

The design is one thing and although the weaknesses of modern stadia design and regulation has all been said before, it's interesting to see what people actually think of an actual shining example (at £890m) but... it's not so hard to think that one day, some smart alec (alex?) manager can upset the sponsors of our stadium - what happens then? (to the stadium; if they walk away?). Can't happen? Really?

John W. Henry ready to lift Liverpool’s standard...
Rory Smith

...Henry’s first job is likely to be mollifying Standard Chartered, the club’s prime, £20 million-a-season shirt sponsor, unsurprisingly unhappy to find its brand, its logo, suddenly associated rather too readily with a player charged with issuing racist abuse. There is no suggestion as yet that the bank, which boasts 1,700 branches worldwide and considerable reach in the Far East, is reassessing its involvement with the club...

Was in 112 and it was full of whoppers. Big final and I go a large proportion of away games - 10 mins in and people were sitting down reading their programmes. Everyone is entitled to do what they please but this takes the piss.

Don't forget. This is the way the FA and UEFA and FIFA like it and the way they like stadia to be designed. They do not want participation. They want spectators. Sit down, pay up and shut up.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:18:30 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:05 am »
Chicken (4 dipper size pieces) and chips were £8.60.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:17 pm »
Don't forget. This is the way the FA and UEFA and FIFA like it and the way they like stadia to be designed. They do not want participation. They want spectators. Sit down, pay up and shut up.
Agree. Removing the 'crowd feeling' by having the seats further apart is probably seen as reducing tension, making the crowd easier to control and reducing aggression. They don't care they remove the atmosphere along with it, they've got a massive sound system, whopper announcers and fancy shows on the pitch to substitute what supporters would bring....

Don't even get me started about the sponsor issue. When did football turn from 'making the people happy' to 'making the sponsors happy'?

(Don't answer that. My guess is 1992.)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly