Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 645415 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #10800 on: July 10, 2022, 04:22:03 pm »
Fucking delighted to see Evan Comerford being kicked in the head after the penalty. Served him right, blatant cheating by feigning injury beforehand.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10801 on: July 10, 2022, 05:20:01 pm »
Fuck me. What a kick
YNWA

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10802 on: July 10, 2022, 05:40:33 pm »
What a kick, what a point, what a finish.
mines a pint

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10803 on: July 10, 2022, 07:31:47 pm »
How the mighty professionals have fallen.

Not even cheating could save them today.

Great to see.
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10804 on: July 10, 2022, 08:26:28 pm »
The diving and playacting from the Dubs today was shameful.

Delighted to beat them like that, it wasn't even a free as well which makes it even better.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10805 on: July 10, 2022, 08:35:18 pm »
I'm probably the only Irishman with no interest in GAA, save for one, seeing Dublin getting beaten.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10806 on: July 10, 2022, 08:53:36 pm »
The diving and playacting from the Dubs today was shameful.

Delighted to beat them like that, it wasn't even a free as well which makes it even better.

What you bring into a game you get out of the game. Their cynical approach is completely at odds from what they had under Gavin and they will have lost admirers today. Comerford made a fool of himself feigning injury at the penalty and then shaking the goalposts for the final free, along with running halfway out the field to remonstrate over Seanie O Shea when he got booked.

Better team won and the Cliffords and O Shea are as fine a footballers as you’ll see. Gavin Wylie though to my mind was unreal. Covered so much ground and when he got hurt there was a drop in the intensity. Interesting final but the direct football should beat Galway with a bit to spare

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #10807 on: July 11, 2022, 07:59:16 am »
What you bring into a game you get out of the game. Their cynical approach is completely at odds from what they had under Gavin and they will have lost admirers today. Comerford made a fool of himself feigning injury at the penalty and then shaking the goalposts for the final free, along with running halfway out the field to remonstrate over Seanie O Shea when he got booked.

Better team won and the Cliffords and O Shea are as fine a footballers as you’ll see. Gavin Wylie though to my mind was unreal. Covered so much ground and when he got hurt there was a drop in the intensity. Interesting final but the direct football should beat Galway with a bit to spare

They were always mostly a shower of c**t’s, Gavin cut that crap out of their game but Dessie was a bit of a master at the guff and bolloxing. It’s a bit like McGeeny in Armagh, you expect from their teams. Meath were dirty in the 80s and 90s, but by the early 90s Dublin had caught up. .

Right before O Shea kicked that free it showed Jack O Connor looking up at the flags... O Shea judged it perfectly into the wind, it came in nicely and looking at where it hit the net at the back of the goals, he had another 10 yards on it. Some kick in the 75th minute and after missing the penalty earlier. (Brutal penalty, he had a right to go for the ball once it spilled)

Pure shitehawkery from the Dubs around the penalty, don’t blame the keeper, Farrell even got the sub goalie out to warm up and buy another bit of time. That wasn’t a spur of the moment thing from the Dubs keeper, that’s trained in. The thought for a split second someone pegged a coin at him, he grabbed his head and went down and grabbed his leg. Anyway, he can go grab his mickey tonight, no final for him.

I’m still a bit stunned at the Derry Galway game.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10808 on: July 11, 2022, 10:23:42 am »
They were always mostly a shower of c**t’s, Gavin cut that crap out of their game but Dessie was a bit of a master at the guff and bolloxing. It’s a bit like McGeeny in Armagh, you expect from their teams. Meath were dirty in the 80s and 90s, but by the early 90s Dublin had caught up. .

Right before O Shea kicked that free it showed Jack O Connor looking up at the flags... O Shea judged it perfectly into the wind, it came in nicely and looking at where it hit the net at the back of the goals, he had another 10 yards on it. Some kick in the 75th minute and after missing the penalty earlier. (Brutal penalty, he had a right to go for the ball once it spilled)

Pure shitehawkery from the Dubs around the penalty, don’t blame the keeper, Farrell even got the sub goalie out to warm up and buy another bit of time. That wasn’t a spur of the moment thing from the Dubs keeper, that’s trained in. The thought for a split second someone pegged a coin at him, he grabbed his head and went down and grabbed his leg. Anyway, he can go grab his mickey tonight, no final for him.

I’m still a bit stunned at the Derry Galway game.

Derry went as far as they were likely to go in my opinion. Kinda like Tyrone last year the balls bounced nicely for them in terms of their games. Galway are a team building for a number of years but have been under the radar somewhat. The game v Armagh brought them on massively in terms of their mentality. They were seriously challenged from a game mentality and passed it, just about. Derry had no opposition against Clare and still conceded 2-8 which showed, in my opinion, that they were still defensively suspect. They have won all games this year from the front and the question was always going to come when they went behind. How would they react? How would they cope?  They got reckless in their play and struggled.

How they build on this year will be interesting. Next year will be do or die for Armagh so I suspect our focus will be winning Ulster. Tyrone will regroup and will be challenging again. Monaghan will have a new manager, new ideas but I think there’s a lot of miles on their legs so maybe not the same threat. Donegal have another kick in them and maybe a new manager. Cavan will be dangerous for any team. If Down could get the Kilcoo lads on board they could be a handful. There will be no real easy games so ye never know what might happen.

Anyway, a ‘traditional’ final now between Kerry and Galway. Kerry will be strong favourites but Galway won’t fear them. Kerry are a better team but Galway have momentum as well. It could go either way but I would favour Kerry if they win the MF battle

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10809 on: July 11, 2022, 11:46:10 am »
Derry went as far as they were likely to go in my opinion. Kinda like Tyrone last year the balls bounced nicely for them in terms of their games. Galway are a team building for a number of years but have been under the radar somewhat. The game v Armagh brought them on massively in terms of their mentality. They were seriously challenged from a game mentality and passed it, just about. Derry had no opposition against Clare and still conceded 2-8 which showed, in my opinion, that they were still defensively suspect. They have won all games this year from the front and the question was always going to come when they went behind. How would they react? How would they cope?  They got reckless in their play and struggled.

How they build on this year will be interesting. Next year will be do or die for Armagh so I suspect our focus will be winning Ulster. Tyrone will regroup and will be challenging again. Monaghan will have a new manager, new ideas but I think there’s a lot of miles on their legs so maybe not the same threat. Donegal have another kick in them and maybe a new manager. Cavan will be dangerous for any team. If Down could get the Kilcoo lads on board they could be a handful. There will be no real easy games so ye never know what might happen.

Anyway, a ‘traditional’ final now between Kerry and Galway. Kerry will be strong favourites but Galway won’t fear them. Kerry are a better team but Galway have momentum as well. It could go either way but I would favour Kerry if they win the MF battle
ulster is a dead rubber next year as it has no consequence for the All Ireland
the 4 groups will be interesting.
armagh tbf  will need oisin o  neill fit and raring to go but this year will have brought them alone immensely .
if armagh get a good league in them then the bandwagon will roll again.
but galways have had a good year as had kerry, all the rest are at a similair level

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10810 on: July 11, 2022, 01:05:57 pm »
Great photo from yesterday

The maddest thing about the kick was that it would have been good from 65 metres, if not more.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10811 on: July 11, 2022, 02:12:01 pm »
ulster is a dead rubber next year as it has no consequence for the All Ireland
the 4 groups will be interesting.
armagh tbf  will need oisin o  neill fit and raring to go but this year will have brought them alone immensely .
if armagh get a good league in them then the bandwagon will roll again.
but galways have had a good year as had kerry, all the rest are at a similair level

Dead rubber or not a trophy is still a trophy. A good gauge of development.

The reality is that in the last 50 years only 11 teams have won the big one. That’s not going to change much. Mayo are the only team likely to add to that number and their chances are diminishing year on year. Whilst provincial titles are not as coveted as they once were they are the only realistic chance for the majority of counties to win titles.

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10812 on: July 11, 2022, 06:48:02 pm »
Mayo have had great footballers over the years, but they haven’t got it in the bellies. There’s a little bit of grit and toughness that most teams in Hurling or Football who win All Ireland’s have and Mayo never had it. There’s a small bit of fight and ruthlessness missing.

Aidan o Shea is the problem personified.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10813 on: July 11, 2022, 06:58:18 pm »
Mayo have had great footballers over the years, but they haven’t got it in the bellies. There’s a little bit of grit and toughness that most teams in Hurling or Football who win All Ireland’s have and Mayo never had it. There’s a small bit of fight and ruthlessness missing.

Aidan o Shea is the problem personified.
stole this off GAA Board
1989 All Ireland Senior Final  Cork beat Mayo
1991 All Ireland Minor Final  Cork beat Mayo
1994 All Ireland U-21 Final  Cork beat Mayo
1995 All Ireland U-21 Final  Kerry beat Mayo
1996 All Ireland Senior Final  Meath beat Mayo
1997 All Ireland Senior Final  Kerry beat Mayo
1999 All Ireland Minor Final  Down beat Mayo
2000 All Ireland Minor Final  Cork beat Mayo
2001 National League Final  Mayo beat Galway
2001 All Ireland U-21 Final  Tyrone beat Mayo
2004 All Ireland U-21 Final  Armagh beat Mayo
2004 All Ireland Senior Final  Kerry beat Mayo
2005 All Ireland Minor Final  Down beat Mayo
2006 All Ireland U-21 Final  Mayo beat Cork
2006 All Ireland Senior Final  Kerry beat Mayo
2007 National League Final  Donegal beat Mayo
2008 All Ireland Minor Final  Tyrone beat Mayo
2009 All Ireland Minor Final  Armagh beat Mayo
2010 National League Final  Cork beat Mayo
2012 National League Final Cork beat Mayo
2012 All Ireland Senior Final Donegal beat Mayo
2013 All Ireland Minor Final  Mayo beat Tyrone
2013 All Ireland Senior Final  Dublin beat Mayo
2016 All Ireland U-21 Final Mayo beat Cork
2016 All Ireland Senior Final  Dublin beat Mayo
2017 All Ireland Senior Final  Dublin beat Mayo
2018 All Ireland U-20 Final  Kildare beat Mayo
2019 National League Final  Mayo beat Kerry
2020 All Ireland Senior Final  Dublin beat Mayo
2021 All Ireland Senior Final  Tyrone beat Mayo
2022 National League Final  Kerry beat Mayo
2022 All Ireland Minor Final  Galway bate Mayo

That's a fucking ridiculous record in finals
YNWA

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10814 on: July 11, 2022, 08:23:43 pm »
I do appreciate the correct spelling of the last entry, Galway bate Mayo. The Sawdoctors would be proud.

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10815 on: July 12, 2022, 05:44:13 am »
I do appreciate the correct spelling of the last entry, Galway bate Mayo. The Sawdoctors would be proud.

Will Galway bate Mayo
Do you think will Galway beat Mayo
Not if they have Willie Joe
They haven't a hope of beatin' Mayo
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10816 on: July 12, 2022, 05:53:01 am »
stole this off GAA Board

I don’t know if you remember the All Ireland Minor Final in 95? We played ye in the final before the Tyrone v Dublin game... Anyways in the last minute of that game Derry had a guy clean through on goal and a Westmeath player called Shane Deering (I think) just rugby tackled him around the shins and ankles and pulled him down. We Won. It ain’t pretty but you need a ruthless streak in a team to win. Within the rules of the game. Today Deering is gone for that tackle, but back then and up until Sean Cavanagh against Monaghan you could get away with it.... Mayo have always been too nice for that stuff. It’s not pretty but it gets you over the line.

Derry got revenge on us in 2004, beat us in an All Ireland Quarter by 2 points... Bradley’s goal that day...
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10817 on: July 12, 2022, 09:04:11 am »
stole this off GAA Board

Throw in a few Club finals as well….auld soft bellies!  Know a few stories around the internal workings of Mayo county teams. Tracksuits and kit bags….legendary status!

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10818 on: July 12, 2022, 09:07:37 am »
Mayo really are a Greek Tragedy, aren't they? How their fans manage to muster the will to keep supporting them year after year is beyond me

Whenever I encounter the pain of sporting disappointments, I stop and remind myself that at least I'm not from Mayo

I was only thinking yesterday, how much of a kick in the balls it will be for Mayo if Galway rock into their first final in 21 years and take Sam west

Think about it! Imagine losing as many finals as they have in recent years and then having to watch your nearest neighbours swan in out of nowhere and win it

Cruel. Just plain cruel. 
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10819 on: July 12, 2022, 01:43:10 pm »
stole this off GAA Board

If they had won just half of those finals would they have been the most successful County in Ireland, overall, in the last 30 years?

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10820 on: July 12, 2022, 05:30:43 pm »
Mayo really are a Greek Tragedy, aren't they? How their fans manage to muster the will to keep supporting them year after year is beyond me

Whenever I encounter the pain of sporting disappointments, I stop and remind myself that at least I'm not from Mayo

I was only thinking yesterday, how much of a kick in the balls it will be for Mayo if Galway rock into their first final in 21 years and take Sam west

Think about it! Imagine losing as many finals as they have in recent years and then having to watch your nearest neighbours swan in out of nowhere and win it

Cruel. Just plain cruel.
I had sympathy until last year. Now I fucking hate Tyrone like, I would go to the Derry games until we get knocked out which until this year has been two games a year and then usually go to Tyrone games to support the other side (yes I'm a bitter bastard) but whenever the credit union in Ballina was giving out all ireland winners loans last year and whenever they said the curse doesn't apply because Tyrone aren't an Irish team then I wanted them beat.
YNWA

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10821 on: July 12, 2022, 06:10:20 pm »
^^^ Credit Union loans for All Ireland winners? What the fuck? :lmao

The jibe about Tyrone not being Irish isn't on though. Poor form that
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10822 on: July 12, 2022, 06:36:17 pm »
^^^ Credit Union loans for All Ireland winners? What the fuck? :lmao

The jibe about Tyrone not being Irish isn't on though. Poor form that
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/ballina-credit-union-offering-500-24943701
YNWA

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10823 on: July 12, 2022, 07:37:17 pm »
Throw in a few Club finals as well….auld soft bellies!  Know a few stories around the internal workings of Mayo county teams. Tracksuits and kit bags….legendary status!
do go on....
YNWA

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10824 on: July 12, 2022, 07:39:15 pm »
I don’t know if you remember the All Ireland Minor Final in 95? We played ye in the final before the Tyrone v Dublin game... Anyways in the last minute of that game Derry had a guy clean through on goal and a Westmeath player called Shane Deering (I think) just rugby tackled him around the shins and ankles and pulled him down. We Won. It ain’t pretty but you need a ruthless streak in a team to win. Within the rules of the game. Today Deering is gone for that tackle, but back then and up until Sean Cavanagh against Monaghan you could get away with it.... Mayo have always been too nice for that stuff. It’s not pretty but it gets you over the line.

Derry got revenge on us in 2004, beat us in an All Ireland Quarter by 2 points... Bradley’s goal that day...
I don't remember it, was only four, vaguely remember the Bradley goal I think. For sure you need some nous to win an All Ireland and the dubs have shown it for years. Look at some of them All Ireland wins, last ten mins of the game the ball is hardly in play between cynical fouls and feigning injury. Got them what? 6 in a row? it works
YNWA

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10825 on: July 12, 2022, 11:23:37 pm »
I don't remember it, was only four, vaguely remember the Bradley goal I think. For sure you need some nous to win an All Ireland and the dubs have shown it for years. Look at some of them All Ireland wins, last ten mins of the game the ball is hardly in play between cynical fouls and feigning injury. Got them what? 6 in a row? it works

Mayo just never had that bit of savvy. You won’t win anything if you’re all bowsey but you won’t win without a touch of it.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10826 on: July 12, 2022, 11:27:25 pm »
Fucking delighted to see Evan Comerford being kicked in the head after the penalty. Served him right, blatant cheating by feigning injury beforehand.
Was a dive for the penalty and he should have been sent off for the kick in the head.

I’m a Kildare man so no bias here.

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10827 on: July 12, 2022, 11:58:13 pm »
Was a dive for the penalty and he should have been sent off for the kick in the head.

I’m a Kildare man so no bias here.

Very soft penalty, and from the reaction of the players around it I don’t think they were expecting a penalty to be given. For the rebound from the penalty, The ball was there, and he went for the ball. It looked bad from the camera angle in front of the goal, but from behind you can see it was just normal follow through.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10828 on: July 13, 2022, 02:13:52 pm »
do go on....

One to tell over pints but the level of notions among players when they get the tracksuit and gear bag goes off the scale…..heard it from a former member of one of the management set ups who I am friendly with. Serious player power within the set up and egos cannot be controlled

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10829 on: July 13, 2022, 02:37:48 pm »
One to tell over pints but the level of notions among players when they get the tracksuit and gear bag goes off the scale…..heard it from a former member of one of the management set ups who I am friendly with. Serious player power within the set up and egos cannot be controlled
have heard this alright. Did you see the video of yer man giving off?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TI55_67oVTs
YNWA

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10830 on: July 13, 2022, 07:43:42 pm »
have heard this alright. Did you see the video of yer man giving off?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TI55_67oVTs

I've seen him in other videos. Theres another one of him sitting in some pub, steamed up to the gills, giving out yards

I think he said in the pub video that he played for Mayo, although I'm not 100% sure

He strikes me as the type of fella that if you got into a conversation with him he'd be the one doing all the talking ;D 

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10831 on: July 13, 2022, 07:46:12 pm »
Found it  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0vPFpEQB8Cc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0vPFpEQB8Cc</a>

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10832 on: July 14, 2022, 09:38:47 pm »
Starting to get hyper now for the weekend, this should be a ripping game. Kilkenny and Limerick are both physical teams and there’s 5-6 matchups over the field that should be great tussles. Limerick are the favourites going in I suppose, but Kilkenny (Coady) can never be written off. If Limerick can limit the frees and keep TJ Reid quite from play it will go a long way to winning the game. Goals will be the decisive factor. Kilkenny will need to martial a few boys on the Limerick side to be in with a chance, , keeping Gillane quiet and not giving away handy frees to Diarmuid Byrnes will be crucial.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #10833 on: July 16, 2022, 10:02:50 am »
anyone looking tickets? Seen some popping up on Ticketmaster yesterday for the hurling
YNWA

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10834 on: July 16, 2022, 12:42:45 pm »
Yeah, there's a few tickets floating around alright, which is unusual

90 quid for a match ticket, plus the bones of 100 quid on travel & food cost is probably turning a lot of people off

And that's just if you're doing it alone. If you've 3 kids with you then you're paying north of 500 quid for 1 day out

Add in the fact that a scorcher of a weekend is forecasted, I'm not really surprised there's spares going a begging

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10835 on: July 16, 2022, 01:29:13 pm »
Regarding the game itself, I can't see anything other than a Limerick win here. Unless they have a seriously bad day at the office, the 3-in-a-row is theirs. Personally, I think the people tipping Kilkenny are getting way too caught up in Cody nostalgia. Yes he's an outstanding manager, and yes Kilkenny's tradition is beyond question, but let's get real here, this current Kilkenny side are nowhere near as strong or consistent as Limerick. Tipp beat most of that Kilkenny team by 9 points in the 2016 final. Tipp also beat them by 14 points in the 2019 final. Cork for all their dysfunction beat them in the semi only 12 months ago. So no, I wouldn't be letting Cody's successes of yester-decade sway me here. If Limerick play to their potential then they'll put Kilkenny away easily 

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10836 on: July 17, 2022, 04:18:18 pm »
Kilkenny are keeping touch, but they're not going to win this unless they stop Limerick scoring. 1-15 in a half plus 3 or 4 easy enough wides mean that Limerick are well on track to hit 30+ points here, probably 34-36. Kilkenny won't get that unless they hit 2 or 3 goals, which they're not looking like getting.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10837 on: July 17, 2022, 05:12:02 pm »
Well Kilkenny got their 2 goals. But Limerick got to their 34 points, and that was just enough. Cracking game though. Limerick get their 3-in-a-row and officially join the greats.

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
« Reply #10838 on: July 18, 2022, 06:44:30 pm »
I thought goals would be a deciding factor, and they were and they weren’t. They kept Kilkenny in the game, but Limericks early goal won it. What a goal, the flick of the boot to set it up and Hegarty had a yard to aim at given the angle. A great finish. No way could you begrudge Limerick the 3 in a row, they seem a decent bunch of lads and they play the game superbly. Physical and skilful.

Yesterday was the first time I thought maybe hurling has moved past Coady. With a sport like hurling it’s the fine fine margins now. Teams have always been physically strong and tough, skill levels were always high, but sports science (fucked up football) has improved Hurling. I don’t know that Coady is employing those methods as part of his setup. But it’s going to be a big part of the game going forward. Any guy who hurled in the last 100 years was tough and skillful, so what’s the extra edge you can employ.. Team psychology seems to have given Limerick that edge in the last 5 years. Everyone has bought into it as much as the tactical aspect.

But you never ever write of Coady or Kilkenny, they were the second best team through most of the game, but still only 2 points off at the end. Dogged and Proud, Coady has the ability to reinvent himself, but I wonder if he has the energy.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Online Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10839 on: July 18, 2022, 09:07:21 pm »
I'll give Kilkenny their dues, they did themselves proud. They got much closer to Limerick than I expected. 2-26 is a massive score to put up, particularly against a side like Limerick, so fair fucks to them. That being said though, Limerick were always in control. Even when Kilkenny drew level, Limerick never looked like losing. Much like their games against Waterford, Tipp, Clare and Galway, you always felt they'd get the scores needed to win out. As for Cody, in my honest opinion, now is the time to walk away.