Author Topic: Belfast - the city that can't count!  (Read 11370 times)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Belfast - the city that can't count!
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »
Back in Northern Ireland for Christmas to see family and decided to do a bus tour of Belfast today.

Tour was going great until the point the guide announced that Belfast has in fact got five, yes five quarters! Quarters as in Titanic Quarter, Queens Quarter, Linen Quarter etc

Now as a Maths grad I may be a little sensitive and OCD about numbers but when someone tells me my capital city has 5 quarters I found that more than a little fucking weird!

Anyone else encountered that absurd geometric concept of a city being split into 5 or more quarters?

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Belfast - the city that can't count!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »
Haha they've only got 4 quarters on that website!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:41:25 pm »

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »
the quarters refer to districts or distinct areas of the city rather than the city being divided into four areas. as that website says, it comes from the french 'quartier' which usually means district or neighbourhood.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:46:01 pm »
Belfast is wank. Bunch of fuckin idiots
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:46:13 pm »
Yeah I realise that but it was still funny when the tour guide was trying to explain the concept!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:07:03 pm »
Belfast is wank. Bunch of fuckin idiots
Easy tiger! I used to live in Stanmillis and Malone and the people there were lovely - far from fucking idiots!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:48:21 pm »
Easy tiger! I used to live in Stanmillis and Malone and the people there were lovely - far from fucking idiots!

Ok not all of them are idiots, but a hell of a lot of them are. Still stuck in the dark ages. My bird was trailed out of a bar by the hair on Friday night because she has a kid to a catholic. Been together 8 years and everyone in her area knows what I am, but it was an issue on Friday

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »
Ok not all of them are idiots, but a hell of a lot of them are. Still stuck in the dark ages. My bird was trailed out of a bar by the hair on Friday night because she has a kid to a catholic. Been together 8 years and everyone in her area knows what I am, but it was an issue on Friday
Holy shit man!

The whole of Northern Ireland is stuck in the dark ages! I moved away from Belfast in 2004 to Southern England - I guess I don't need to explain to you the difference in cultures between the 2. It seems to get more and more strange every time I go back

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 10:56:39 pm »
Holy shit man!

The whole of Northern Ireland is stuck in the dark ages! I moved away from Belfast in 2004 to Southern England - I guess I don't need to explain to you the difference in cultures between the 2. It seems to get more and more strange every time I go back

you continually shit on your home country. Good on you.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

royhendo

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »
It's like they've cloned Lothian. You've got five Forths.:)

(Love Berlfarst.)

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »
you continually shit on your home country. Good on you.
For goodness sake mate chill out.

I just found it a little weird that we had 5 quarters in Belfast - now maybe to most people that wouldn't cause much consternation but having spent a lot of time studying Maths I just found it a bit weird but mostly funny!

Wasn't shitting on Northern Ireland or Belfast at all - in fact I'm very proud of being Northern Irish and of Belfast!!

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:14:38 pm »
I'm going to Belfast in 18 sleeps, I dont care how many quarters it does or dosent have, all I care about is the ale and the Giants  :)

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 11:51:31 pm »
For goodness sake mate chill out.

I just found it a little weird that we had 5 quarters in Belfast - now maybe to most people that wouldn't cause much consternation but having spent a lot of time studying Maths I just found it a bit weird but mostly funny!

Wasn't shitting on Northern Ireland or Belfast at all - in fact I'm very proud of being Northern Irish and of Belfast!!

That came across cunty, it wasn't meant to.

You do continually mention how glad you are you got out of Dodge though. 
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 12:01:25 am »
That came across cunty, it wasn't meant to.

You do continually mention how glad you are you got out of Dodge though. 
Bloody hell man it was some lad above who was calling us all a bunch of wankers - I was standing up for us - well the nice parts anyway!!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 12:03:00 am »
I'm going to Belfast in 18 sleeps, I dont care how many quarters it does or dosent have, all I care about is the ale and the Giants  :)
Youll not need to worry about the quarters after a few ales - I was driving so perhaps that's why I was so focused on the quarters!

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 12:08:54 am »
Youll not need to worry about the quarters after a few ales - I was driving so perhaps that's why I was so focused on the quarters!

I didnt know it even had quarters, all I'm gonna do now is wonder about the quarters and this thread whilst I'm there ;D

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:12 am »
well the nice parts anyway!!
Where's that then? ;D

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 01:01:18 am »
Where's that then? ;D

The roads leading out.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 01:08:04 am »
The roads leading out.
Don't forget the ports and airports..

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 12:05:32 am »

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 12:15:47 am »
People speak funny there.
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 12:26:21 am »
I remember Richard Whitely used to speak of Countdown having three halves.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 9, 2019, 07:36:14 pm »
Has improved a lot in the last 8 years. Non stop tourism which is great to see. The number of 'fucking idiots' slowly but surely reducing.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #25 on: September 9, 2019, 08:30:31 pm »
I've been seriously thinking about doing a weeks work out there at some point soonish for a bit of change and all that. The accomodation looks a bit pricey for my budget. I'll be working so my plan is to make a bit and not blow it all. I will be getting the ferry with my bike . One question though . Is Belfast hilly ? Not the outskirts but the town bit.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 9, 2019, 09:58:09 pm »
I've been seriously thinking about doing a weeks work out there at some point soonish for a bit of change and all that. The accomodation looks a bit pricey for my budget. I'll be working so my plan is to make a bit and not blow it all. I will be getting the ferry with my bike . One question though . Is Belfast hilly ? Not the outskirts but the town bit.

What is your budget? There are plenty of budget hotels/hostels etc.
No hills in the city centre. If you're getting the Stena Line to Duncrue, you could cycle to town in 15 minutes.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 02:05:23 pm »
What is your budget? There are plenty of budget hotels/hostels etc.
No hills in the city centre. If you're getting the Stena Line to Duncrue, you could cycle to town in 15 minutes.

Not sure of my budget . Origianny planned to work in Bordeaux but its too complicated with French working laws and stuff as will be self employed. Nice news about the hills though. Ive walked from the ferry port into town years ago and didnt realise it was that far.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 02:08:14 pm »
The time is a complete guess. I haven't ridden a bike since 2003  ;D

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 02:21:08 pm »
Not sure of my budget . Origianny planned to work in Bordeaux but its too complicated with French working laws and stuff as will be self employed. Nice news about the hills though. Ive walked from the ferry port into town years ago and didnt realise it was that far.

If it was more than about 10 years ago you would have come into the old terminal which was on the edge of the city centre, where the new UTV building now is. The new terminal is a bit further out, its about 3.5-4 mile from town.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »
If it was more than about 10 years ago you would have come into the old terminal which was on the edge of the city centre, where the new UTV building now is. The new terminal is a bit further out, its about 3.5-4 mile from town.

It was far. Think it was 2014 or 15. Going back my then girlfriends brother dropped me off in Belfast from Portadown nd said its just down there , 5 mins. It didnt feel right and after walking for ages I started to panic as my ferry was soon. I went into a car mechanics place on the left somewhere and asked how far it was. He said far mate you'll miss your ferry. He asked his boss is it ok to give us a lift which he did . I offered him a tenner but he refused. Top fella him mate.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 03:33:07 pm »
It was far. Think it was 2014 or 15. Going back my then girlfriends brother dropped me off in Belfast from Portadown nd said its just down there , 5 mins. It didnt feel right and after walking for ages I started to panic as my ferry was soon. I went into a car mechanics place on the left somewhere and asked how far it was. He said far mate you'll miss your ferry. He asked his boss is it ok to give us a lift which he did . I offered him a tenner but he refused. Top fella him mate.
was she given the flick after that?

lucky someone looked after you
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 03:46:48 pm »
Has improved a lot in the last 8 years. Non stop tourism which is great to see. The number of 'fucking idiots' slowly but surely reducing.
I notice a big difference every time I come back home on holiday (usually 1-2 times a year). Belfast really seems to be thriving and there have been lots of developments.

I love doing all the tourist stuff now that they have invested so much time and effort in it. Big thumbs up from me :)

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:26 pm »
was she given the flick after that?

lucky someone looked after you

Deffo would have missed the ferry if it wasn't for him mate. 

Me and her spent the Autumn in France after the summer but had a big massive argument over a Portuguese chick that fancied me. She's now shacked up in Galicia with a fella she met o the Camino de Santiago. We occasionaly keep in touch and always will be good mates and I wish her well.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 04:19:19 pm »
The Titanic museum is wicked, comprehensive as anything - as are the black taxi tours which are ace too. Friendly people and wicked pubs (seemed to notice how they are far more authentic than Dublin's sorry!) that are mostly built in the old school style. Cheap too!

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 04:40:41 pm »
Deffo would have missed the ferry if it wasn't for him mate. 

Me and her spent the Autumn in France after the summer but had a big massive argument over a Portuguese chick that fancied me. She's now shacked up in Galicia with a fella she met o the Camino de Santiago. We occasionaly keep in touch and always will be good mates and I wish her well.
ah thats nice. at least it didnt go too bitter

The Titanic museum is wicked, comprehensive as anything - as are the black taxi tours which are ace too. Friendly people and wicked pubs (seemed to notice how they are far more authentic than Dublin's sorry!) that are mostly built in the old school style. Cheap too!

titanic is good yeah, i believe the one in cork is shite. i went the belfast one twice (brother i think gave me two tickets he won, and a few years later my nephew was frantic to go so we went back).

I dont go out much in it though.

I had a good night in McHughs which is a good spot, was there after a u2 gig. Revolution near the victoria looks good but full of tossers, was there for my wifes 40th. some arsehole at the bar literally waving and counting wads of cash, some tart barging at the bar telling me to hurry up when she is barging me so much i cant even get my hand in my pocket to retrieve my wallet, some other tart accused me of throwing a drink over her, i did no such thing.

Few good eateries though. Hilton does good grub in the sonoma and fratellis is good, i love the merchant but its dear, the international, the duke of york, the national and the john hewitt are decent spots.

If you are into it the grand opera house is stunning inside
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:42:31 pm by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 04:58:26 pm »
We 've known eacother since 2002 mate and will always be fond and there for eachother in life. I do love her and she loves me . My Celtic Princess ... the one that got away. She's sound mate but it just wasn't to be.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 06:24:32 pm »
I went last November and really enjoyed it.  The Titanic museum is amazing.  I've been fascinated by the ship since I was a child, so seeing the Nomadic it felt less of a city break and more of a pilgrimage. ;D

the museum on the outskirts of the city centre is also really good too.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2022, 09:26:12 am »
I wish one day I would have a chance to visit their major visitor attraction, Titanic Belfast. A monument to Belfast's maritime heritage...  :)

Including tours based on the series Game of Thrones. I read that there are a few of filming locations around Northern Ireland.

Hope that it's worth it.  :)
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2022, 09:49:27 am »
I wish one day I would have a chance to visit their major visitor attraction, Titanic Belfast. A monument to Belfast's maritime heritage...  :)

Including tours based on the series Game of Thrones. I read that there are a few of filming locations around Northern Ireland.

Hope that it's worth it.  :)

The Titanic museum is great. Make sure you do a black taxi tour while you're here too.

No idea about the Game of Thrones tour as I've never went on it. Too many tourists and likely very expensive  ;D

I think part of the tour is Giant's Causeway, not certain. I've been there once in my 41 years of living in Belfast, the day we signed Naby Keita. I have to say it was one of the most underwhelming things I've ever seen  ;D