Author Topic: Space exploration thread  (Read 123609 times)

Online tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Believer
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2000 on: February 7, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
Another view of the landings with added sonic booms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #2001 on: February 7, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
I'm presuming the car has had no special modifications? Other than the tyres being flat of course.  ;)

It will actually be very interesting to me to see how an ordinary everyday object like a car is affected by space.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Online Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Believer
« Reply #2002 on: February 7, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
Small points not mentioned

In the cars glovebox is a towel and a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

On the dashboard is a Hotwheels roadster with a mini spaceman figure in the car

Between that and Bowie playing on a loop this just became even more epic and brilliant. All he needed was an LFC scarf (preferably old school hand knitted red and white) and the spaceman would have been complete  ;)
"Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season" Richard Keys July 9, 2017

Online gazzalfc

• Will probably leave early before this custom title is comple.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2003 on: February 7, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
The projected travel map
59% warning - Being Watched.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2004 on: February 7, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
Fantastic marketing campaign for Tesla.  ;)

Great achievement in all seriousness. SpaceX are sending rockets into space at a fraction of the cost of others while making it feasible to reuse them is a massive step. The progress in 16 years is fantastic.  (Branson still can’t get his team to crack Galactic.)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2005 on: February 7, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
It’s not going make it into the Mars orbit. It looks like it will head to the asteroid belt.

Online gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2006 on: February 7, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
I'm presuming the car has had no special modifications? Other than the tyres being flat of course.  ;)

It will actually be very interesting to me to see how an ordinary everyday object like a car is affected by space.

Musk during his post launch press briefing said the car will run out of battery power in 12 hours and it's those batteries that were powering the light and camera beaming back the live video. Once that runs out that's it to be left floating for eternity.

He was also asked about the suit and if it had any telemetry or anything to test on it and he said no. Its a fully working SpaceX suit but its only there because it looks cool.

Online gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2007 on: February 7, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2008 on: February 7, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »
Musk during his post launch press briefing said the car will run out of battery power in 12 hours and it's those batteries that were powering the light and camera beaming back the live video. Once that runs out that's it to be left floating for eternity.

He was also asked about the suit and if it had any telemetry or anything to test on it and he said no. Its a fully working SpaceX suit but its only there because it looks cool.

That's a shame.  Can't help but wonder how chrome and ordinary glass will fare under the full glare of the sun's radiation.  Should have put some solar panels on the bonnet or something.  ;D

That said it's an Earth crossing orbit - maybe they'll send a retrieval mission in about three years.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked.
  • Believer
  • Insert something awesome here!
    • Yorkandbeyond
« Reply #2009 on: February 7, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »
Another view of the landings with added sonic booms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Coolest thing ever :)

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0
  • Believer
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2010 on: February 7, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
imagine some great spacefaring civilization picking it up in about 1000 years and thinking "how the fuck did they fly this thing?" ;D

Online gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2011 on: February 7, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »
That's a shame.  Can't help but wonder how chrome and ordinary glass will fare under the full glare of the sun's radiation.  Should have put some solar panels on the bonnet or something.  ;D

That said it's an Earth crossing orbit - maybe they'll send a retrieval mission in about three years.

He made a joke that he imagines some alien civilization or us in thousands of years finding it and wondering why we put it up there in the 1st place

Everything about that car was just to send a statement to governments etc that any future satellite launches with a SpaceX rocket dont need to be scrunched into a tiny pod like an origami animal. He's like 'look we can put a car in it fine'. The payloads can be larger than any previous launch with any other space agency and done at a fraction of the price (if they can recover the central core).

Plus it looks cool :P

Online tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Believer
« Reply #2012 on: February 7, 2018, 08:37:32 PM »
This is quite cool.

https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2013 on: February 7, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »
This is quite cool.

https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

meh, I could still hear the shutters. ;)

Seriously That is exactly why I spent a hundred quid on these new headphones. ;D

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2014 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:01 AM »
Let's not forget New Horizons.

Not only is the spacecraft continue to send imagery from beyond the distance Voyager 1 took the famous "pale blue dot" image, it's also providing invaluable phase angle images of objects in the outer solar system, such as KBOs, dwarf planets and Centaurs.  This is information you simply can't get from Earth's vantage point, and New Horizon's has to be at least two generations ahead of the technology aboard the Voyager spacecraft.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20180208

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked.
  • Believer
  • Insert something awesome here!
    • Yorkandbeyond
« Reply #2015 on: February 10, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
Let's not forget New Horizons.

Not only is the spacecraft continue to send imagery from beyond the distance Voyager 1 took the famous "pale blue dot" image, it's also providing invaluable phase angle images of objects in the outer solar system, such as KBOs, dwarf planets and Centaurs.  This is information you simply can't get from Earth's vantage point, and New Horizon's has to be at least two generations ahead of the technology aboard the Voyager spacecraft.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20180208

That got out there quick didn't it?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker.
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2016 on: February 10, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
Going to be the ultimate irony when the Human Race gets wiped out because of a car that was designed to help save a livable Earth.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Andy @ Allerton

• Has got a shite bunch of coconuts. A Famous Grouse. Aaaand we're back in the room...Loves Mission Impossible theme tune. Wishes he had eight cocks cos he's a pervy arachnophiliac who fears ants with guns!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Duckie McDuckFace
« Reply #2017 on: February 10, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
Going to be the ultimate irony when the Human Race gets wiped out because of a car that was designed to help save a livable Earth.

Eh?
Tiger Tiger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker.
  • Believer
« Reply #2018 on: February 10, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »
Eh?

When Elons Car plays billiards in the Asteroid belt.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Tepid T₂O

• Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2019 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
Eh?
A reference to Star Trek the movie I suspect...
With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline Andy @ Allerton

• Has got a shite bunch of coconuts. A Famous Grouse. Aaaand we're back in the room...Loves Mission Impossible theme tune. Wishes he had eight cocks cos he's a pervy arachnophiliac who fears ants with guns!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Duckie McDuckFace
« Reply #2020 on: February 10, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »
When Elons Car plays billiards in the Asteroid belt.

:D

"There are many horrible things that can happen to young planets, such as getting destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

There was one inhabited planet in the seventh dimension that got used as a ball in a game of intergalactic bar billiards. It got potted straight into a black hole, killing ten billion people.

It only scored thirty points."

Offline Andy @ Allerton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Duckie McDuckFace
« Reply #2021 on: February 10, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
A reference to Star Trek the movie I suspect...

I reckon it's a reference to the Bar Billiards comment (Above) :)  From Hitchhikers Guide

Online gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2022 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-PToD2URA

Falcon 9 currently taking the PAZ satellite to low-Earth orbit

There is no plans to recover the main rocket for this launch
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:22:35 PM by gazzalfc »

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2023 on: March 10, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
Wondered about this off an on for a couple of years.  In about 5.5bn years time the Sun will start shedding it's mass through a series of red giant phases.  Is it possible Jupiter could scoop up enough of this mass to become a star itself, or would it simply be too tenuous and spread out for that to happen?  Or would it be deflected around the planet's magnetic field as per the solar wind?

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Believer
  • One extra tbsp of raw garlic for me, please.
« Reply #2024 on: March 12, 2018, 04:31:31 AM »

Small points not mentioned

In the cars glovebox is a towel and a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

On the dashboard is a Hotwheels roadster with a mini spaceman figure in the car

Between that and Bowie playing on a loop this just became even more epic and brilliant.

:thumbup

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A0FZIwabctw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A0FZIwabctw</a>

Online tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Believer
« Reply #2025 on: March 15, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
Falcon Heavy central core missing the landing boat and hitting the sea.

https://gfycat.com/NewThornyCockerspaniel

Taken from here, about 1:11 in

https://youtu.be/A0FZIwabctw

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2026 on: March 18, 2018, 09:45:15 AM »
Wondered about this off an on for a couple of years.  In about 5.5bn years time the Sun will start shedding it's mass through a series of red giant phases.  Is it possible Jupiter could scoop up enough of this mass to become a star itself, or would it simply be too tenuous and spread out for that to happen?  Or would it be deflected around the planet's magnetic field as per the solar wind?
It'd have to gain about 80 times its own mass, so the odds are absolutely miniscule.  The Sun will lose mass so the orbits of the planets will drift out somewhat anyway.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2027 on: March 18, 2018, 07:01:47 PM »
It'd have to gain about 80 times its own mass, so the odds are absolutely miniscule.  The Sun will lose mass so the orbits of the planets will drift out somewhat anyway.

Yeah.  Did some reading up on it.  Jupiter's mass is only about 1000th of the Sun's; it would need only about 13 Jupiter masses to become a small brown dwarf, but 75 Jupiter masses to become a large brown dwarf (or small red dwarf).

That said, the sun will lose at least half it's current mass over the next 5 billion years or so.  That's 500 Jupiter masses worth of material, and Jupiter is in the right place to collect some of it, being the closest gas giant.  That said, the increased solar wind of the sun's red giant phase might actually end up eroding part of Jupiter's atmosphere.  Still, I suppose it's theoretically possible.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:04:21 PM by Red Berry »

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2028 on: March 18, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »
Yeah.  Did some reading up on it.  Jupiter's mass is only about 1000th of the Sun's; it would need only about 13 Jupiter masses to become a small brown dwarf, but 75 Jupiter masses to become a large brown dwarf (or small red dwarf).

That said, the sun will lose at least half it's current mass over the next 5 billion years or so.  That's 500 Jupiter masses worth of material, and Jupiter is in the right place to collect some of it, being the closest gas giant.  That said, the increased solar wind of the sun's red giant phase might actually end up eroding part of Jupiter's atmosphere.  Still, I suppose it's theoretically possible.
Theoretically, yeah, but you think about the scale of everything, all of that material isn't going to come off the Sun, it's going to be partially the material swept away when carbon can't fuse and the hot core at the centre for its white dwarf phase.

The actual scale of the whole thing (the Sun has a radius of about 700,000km while Jupiter is at 770,000,000km away with a radius of 70,000km) just makes it impossible.  All the matter will be scattered in a (roughly) spherical shape, so as well as pushing Jupiter out further, only a tiny concentration of the matter will ever get caught up in its orbit, never mind the gravity well itself.

Sorry to be a negative numpty!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Believer
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2029 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
It's an interesting thought of what would become of Jupiter. The sun would have spent its fuel, so Jupiter won't ignite, but the potential to grow in mass is enormous. It's not just a simple escape of material from the sun because of the coupling of the magnetic fields. What protects Earth from the solar plasma may feed Jupiter:

Currently, the solar corona mass ejection events are deflected from a planetary magnetic field. But when the fuel runs out and the sun expands in size, the ion energy would be very low. If Jupiter still has a strong magnetic field, it can capture that material through the aurora regions.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2030 on: March 23, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »

Sorry to be a negative numpty!

Not at all!  It's an interesting discussion and like I said, I've always been curious about it. :)

Reading up on the potential future evolution of the solar system is fascinating.  The sun is speculated to go through two giant phases after the 5bn year mark: expand, then shrink slightly and then expand again, ultimately puffing off its outer layers.  It's gravity will weaken over this period as it sheds mass, allowing the orbits of the gas giants to drift outwards. 

Studying planetary nebulas shows a lot of material in the form of a giant ring.  Depending on the strength of the solar wind you'd expect all the giant planets to hoover up at least some of that material, but for Jupiter it probably wouldn't be more than 5 masses.  Still there'll be a lot of free hydrogen released.

And thanks for details, faraway :)

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2031 on: March 24, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
Yeah, it's always fascinating to me (hence the astro BSc ;) ) so when I have the time during this PGDE stuff I read up as much as I can.  Made some brilliant friends on that course including someone who's currently on La Palma doing her doctoral work.  Lucky so-and-so!  Even just reading the wikipedia page of the far future timeline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future) leads down so many rabbit holes.
My Twitter

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #2032 on: March 25, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »
I've read that wiki page more than once.  Another fave of mine is the extra terrestrial skies.  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_skies

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art