Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 320424 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1360 on: July 15, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »

Brilliant I didn't see that I saw a heart.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1361 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »
8pm is when the images will be released...

We will see something that no human has ever seen before..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1362 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:36 pm »
Some information posted up at 3.30am BST by the Planetary Society's Emily Lakdawalla regarding the imminent downlink of data:

Tomorrow will see two downlinks of data, one shorter and one longer. The downlinks will include one global view each of Pluto, Charon, Nix, and Hydra at different resolutions and three high-resolution images of Pluto from near closest approach. There will also be data from SWAP, REX, and Alice.

And here is an image where Pluto can finally complete the set:

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1363 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:29 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: July 15, 2015, 08:11:28 pm »
Scientist speaking about the moons of Pluto had a Cheshire Cat smile on his face...

Like a kid at Christmas, great to see
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1365 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »
Charon has canyons several miles deep.

A beautiful side on shot of one of them
W

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1366 on: July 15, 2015, 08:20:30 pm »
Looks like some great photos.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1367 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:33 pm »
Just astonishing close up images of Pluto.

Seems it's geologically active!
W

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1368 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »
i'm waiting to see what the flat earther's say before making my mind up ;)

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1369 on: July 15, 2015, 08:23:45 pm »

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1370 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »
No tidal activity. Amazing proposition!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1371 on: July 15, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »
They have these great Photos of Pluto then it nearly all falls apart getting someone to ask a question on the phone.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1372 on: July 15, 2015, 08:54:26 pm »
A young, geologically active surface.  Incredible.

EDIT: Amazing image of Charon here:

The cracks and fissures remind me a little of Uranus' moon Miranda, but also of Mercury, oddly enough.  It's like the surface may have split and cracked as the little world cooled and contracted.  Just initial impressions of course.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:10:24 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1373 on: July 16, 2015, 12:30:27 pm »
This makes me more happy than anyone would think, just remember growing up and there being a blob on the poster in school where Pluto was.

Then this.  Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of Ł22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: July 16, 2015, 11:37:06 pm »
Charon's "mountain with a moat":

How weirdly captivating.  It's not an impact feature as there's no discernible crater rim.  I wonder if the "mountain" is actually an object that slow-impacted on the surface?  A bit like 'mount Zeus' on Europa in Arthur C Clarke's 2061?

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: July 17, 2015, 06:29:22 pm »
More pictures imminent
W

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: July 17, 2015, 06:45:13 pm »
Nix:

Close up of the "Heart of Pluto" shows ice plains:

Popcorn's Art

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: July 18, 2015, 04:19:42 am »
Ugh I can't wait to get the uncompressed versions of those. This is still kind of mind-blowing to me...we kept getting told that we'd see these two strips of detail shots, but it still didn't quite seem possible. I always figured there'd be some sort of glitch and we'd never hear from NH after that last full-frame photo. But now we even have closeups of Charon! And they're calling that dark patch on it "Mordor!"

Kudos to whoever named those mountains after Tenzing Norgay, by the way.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1378 on: July 18, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »
As I understood the press conference yesterday, over the next couple of weeks blocks of LORRI images will be released onto the raw images section of the NH website, but that there will be NO image releases during August; they will be prioritising the return of non-image data, which presumably they can downlink much more quickly and so get it out of the way to the analysts so they can concentrate on the images.

Popcorn's Art

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1380 on: July 21, 2015, 09:36:47 pm »
Brian Cox

@ProfBrianCox

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you don't think Apollo 11 landed on Moon you are a colossal nob end & should get a new brain
3:17 PM - 20 Jul 2015

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: July 22, 2015, 05:32:40 pm »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: July 23, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »

Mosaic images stitched together and orientated so that south is up:

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1383 on: July 23, 2015, 02:29:37 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1384 on: July 23, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »
Everyone in this thread should watch the 'Planetary Flybys' on BBC iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p02wz03h

Starting in 1969 with Mariner to Mars (with amazing discussions about vegetation and canals on Mars, and theories about the creation of the Moon and Mars), it goes on to 1979 with Pioneer to Saturn, a documentary about Tombaugh from 1980, Voyager to Uranus in 1986, Neptune: Voyager's last planet (1989), Gallileo to Jupiter (1995), Unveiling Titan (2005) and the current Pluto Revealed.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1385 on: July 23, 2015, 05:42:27 pm »
Nasa announces discovery of 'second Earth' in deep space.

Nasa has announced that it has found an extraordinarily similar planet to Earth orbiting around a distant star.

The planet, Kepler-452b, is described as a larger, older Earth and is located around a star 1,400 light years from Earth.

It is the first terrestrial planet found in the habitable zone in a star just like our sun. Nasa said it is about 60 percent larger than Earth and lies in the constellation Cygnus.

The exact nature of the planet is not known specifically, but Nasa's modelling suggesters it is a rocky planet, about five times as massive as Earth, orbiting its star once every 385 days.

The planet's star is 1.5 billion years older than our own, and is now growing hotter and brighter -- as our star will do in about a billion years.

Jon Jenkins, Kepler data analysis lead at Nasa's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, said that the data showed planets similar to Earth were "common throughout the galaxy".

The planet is so similar to Earth the SETI Institute is now listening out for signals from the star Kepler 452 -- though so far it has had no luck.

"On the 20th anniversary year of the discovery that proved other suns host planets, the Kepler exoplanet explorer has discovered a planet and star which most closely resemble the Earth and our Sun," said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate at the agency’s headquarters in Washington. “This exciting result brings us one step closer to finding an Earth 2.0."

Nasa also announced that 521 new exoplanet candidates had been discovered, 12 of which have diameters between one and two times Earths, and orbit in their star's habitable zone. Nine orbit stars similar to ours in size and temperature.

Kepler, launched in 2009, looks for planets by detecting shifts in light from around 100,000 distant stars -- caused when worlds pass between our planet and the far-off sun. Finding planets of a similar size to Earth, orbiting their stars at a similar distance to our own, is extremely difficult, because it relies on the planet being positioned perfectly between its sun and ourselves, and for very small disturbances in light to be detected. Nasa compares that change in light to "the drop in brightness of a car's headlight when a fruitfly moves in front of it".

So while the 0.95m-diameter telescope has confirmed more than 1,000 planets in 440 stellar systems, and another 2,000 planet candidates, most of those worlds are either much larger than Earth or rotate too closely around their sun to harbour life.

Exoplanets, especially small Earth-size worlds, belonged within the realm of science fiction just 21 years ago. Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years -- another Earth," a Nasa release teased on Wednesday, ahead of the news announcement.

Earlier this year Kepler found another eight new planets in the Goldilocks zone, doubling the number of exoplanets found that have a diameter less that double Earth's. "We're now closer than we've ever been for finding a twin for Earth," astronomer Fergal Mullally of the Kepler Science Office said at the time.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/23/nasa-announces-earth-exoplanet

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: July 23, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »
There is just so much awesomeness in this video...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E-zurr9PHKg&amp;list=PL5u7fD8rLzj22GAMKStDhK6nGvJ2GhEVy&amp;index=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E-zurr9PHKg&amp;list=PL5u7fD8rLzj22GAMKStDhK6nGvJ2GhEVy&amp;index=3</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: July 25, 2015, 09:33:09 am »

Pluto reveals its atmospheric hazes to be at least 4 times higher over its surface as was expected.  Also, hints of nitrogen-methane glaciers and processes of methane breakdown akin to those seen on Titan.

EDIT: Titan as seen by Cassini on June 22, 2010, and Pluto as seen by New Horizons on July 14, 2015. Both worlds are viewed from a phase angle of 165 degrees -- nearly from behind. Both have atmospheres; particles in the atmospheres scatter sunlight forward toward New Horizons, lighting them up. The observing spacecraft are seeing the skies in all the locations where the Sun is rising or setting on the surface. The Pluto image has been downsized to match the scale of the Titan image.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:40:40 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: July 25, 2015, 09:34:40 am »
The haze is due to methane forming other hydrocarbons in the atmosphere which then fall as a hydrocarbon snow ...

Also seems that there are nitrogen glaciers..... Imagine that? !
W

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1389 on: July 25, 2015, 05:34:55 pm »
The haze is due to methane forming other hydrocarbons in the atmosphere which then fall as a hydrocarbon snow ...

Also seems that there are nitrogen glaciers..... Imagine that? !
The existence of N2 glaciers sounds incredible, but on a second thought, it turns out it's not too surprising... One look at the pressure-temperature phase diagram (below), shows that for the 40K-50K surface temperatures on Pluto, N2 ice would exist for pressures above 5 Torr. That's not too much of an atmosphere, similar to that on Mars (7-8 Torr).

No less amazing though!

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: July 29, 2015, 10:20:17 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11769030/Impossible-rocket-drive-works-and-could-get-to-Moon-in-four-hours.html

didnt know where to put this.I found it interesting anyway,though i dont know much about space but love reading about it
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: July 29, 2015, 10:33:09 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11769030/Impossible-rocket-drive-works-and-could-get-to-Moon-in-four-hours.html

didnt know where to put this.I found it interesting anyway,though i dont know much about space but love reading about it
erm wowzers! cheers for posting, have seen stuff on this before, but it was more sci-fi than science, theoretically plausible. Again, it is probably at a very small scale, so I'm not expecting warp drive missions to the other side of the galaxy anytime soon.... ;)  But still amazing possibilities if true.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: July 29, 2015, 10:36:44 pm »

Hmmm, I would like to read more on this... Sounds interesting even if it turns out to be rubbish!
W

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1393 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:46 am »
Highlights that issue of getting around the Solar System quickly and efficiently.  The gas giants aren't so much of a problem because a space probe can use their huge gravity to slow down, but that doesn't work with tiny Pluto, so only a flyby is possible.  With current technology an orbital mission would require a ship to fly a much longer, slower trajectory.  Ion drives (for example) are efficient, but they're not fast.

For Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, we would ideally need to get the fast, then decelerate really quickly.  And we'd need an orbiter that could last far longer than Cassini - for Pluto we're talking 20 years' minimum to see the slow slow changes as it creeps along its orbit.  So you'd also need a ton of manoeuvring fuel once you get there.

It seems weird that now, through adaptive optics and other advances in ground based telescopes, that we can observe Jupiter just as well as Voyager did.  Even the amateur community gets amazing views.  Who would have thought, even twenty years ago, that Jupiter could be considered an EASY target for spacecraft?  The real challenge in the Jovian system now are the Galilean Satellites. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: July 30, 2015, 01:00:02 pm »
Hmmm, I would like to read more on this... Sounds interesting even if it turns out to be rubbish!

Presumably, even if it did work, there'd be some serious side effects to the human body travelling at those speeds?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: July 30, 2015, 01:19:59 pm »
Presumably, even if it did work, there'd be some serious side effects to the human body travelling at those speeds?

Well it took New Horizons eight hours from launch to cross lunar orbit so we're talking solar system escape velocities here.  I think the key is the acceleration rather than the actual speed.  Would be great for space probes though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: July 30, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »
Well it took New Horizons eight hours from launch to cross lunar orbit so we're talking solar system escape velocities here.  I think the key is the acceleration rather than the actual speed.  Would be great for space probes though.

Agree for space probes it'll be great - for manned craft though I'm not sure it'll work.

Does anyone know what the escape velocity would be to get to the moon and any accelerations associated?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1397 on: July 30, 2015, 08:13:13 pm »
Well if memory serves, the Apollo missions took several days to travel from the Earth to the Moon, but they deliberately did not achieve "Earth" escape velocity; they accelerated to just shy of this and then allowed the Moon's gravity to capture them.

Using New Horizons as a benchmark, that probe is currently travelling at roughly 31,000 mph; this new drive system would easily double that.  For comparison Earth's escape velocity is 25,000 mph.

This wiki article lists the escape velocities of major solar system bodies:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity#List_of_escape_velocities

But again, don't confuse speed with acceleration.  You can probably quite safely accelerate slowly to a given speed in an environment where there is no friction.  When it comes to exploration, it's about accelerating and decelerating quickly so you can keep the journey time as short as possible.

What I would say about this experimental drive is that I am sure that, if they can get it to work, they can tailor the acceleration to be tolerable for humans.

EDIT: Reminds me of an exchange in the novel version of 2010: Odyssey 2.  Heywood Floyd's friend remarks that when they lost the signal from David Bowman's pod he was receding at a 10th of the speed of light and that he'd reached that in less than two minutes, describing it as "a quarter of a million gravities!"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:18:29 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1398 on: July 30, 2015, 11:30:05 pm »
That has been wholly debunked since that article, and the claims of Dr Wickramesinghe, were published. Sadly, but debunked all the same.

I put the wrong thing up it was this one

Philae comet lander may have found 'ingredients for life'

Philae comet lander may have found 'ingredients for life'

46 minutes ago

The Philae lander, after successfully landing on a comet in late 2014, may have made a significant discovery about the ingredients which create life.

Scientist analysing the data it has collected have found complex compounds described as a "frozen primordial soup."

This supports the theory that comets may have provided the ingredients that led to the development of life on Earth.

David Shukman reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33726372

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1399 on: July 31, 2015, 01:07:20 am »
I don't want to belittle the meaning of the results from Philae, but I'm just curious, wasn't that known before? I thought that most of the 23 protein-building acids were "known" (or perhaps believed) to exist on comets. I recall for certain that amino acids were found in the Stardust return samples (comet Wilde II).

Are more details available? (I'm sure they will be, just can't wait... ;) )
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."