Author Topic: Luis Suarez - FA guilty charge and LFC Statement (*)  (Read 891493 times)

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Luis Suarez - FA guilty charge and LFC Statement (*)
« Reply #7800 on: December 24, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »
It would have to be 'Negrito' as Evra (Allegedly) is a bloke.

of course. That's my Spamish for you...  :-X

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7801 on: December 24, 2011, 03:14:02 pm »
It is strange that the other day Kenny said Liverpool were not allowed to talk about the decision but Ferguson has free reign to give interviews about it.

I got the feeling this was advice from LFC lawyers.

I'd like to think that it's to leave them in a stronger legal position should they pursue the matter in the courts.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline EdEdP

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7802 on: December 24, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »
Mirra currently thinks it's racist. He's not yet commented on whether in the Uruguyan street idiom Suarez's language may have been entirely innocent.

'Negrito' can be used as a jibe and 'banter' so to speak in Uruguay and a few other South/Central American countries such as Chile, Mexico and even Cuba, but it never has racist connotations.

Store in a cool, dry place.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #7803 on: December 24, 2011, 03:22:59 pm »
Just read Reade's article and I dont think anyone could disagree with it.
If Suarez used a term that Evra found offensive it matters not what we believe or the club believes, thats the crux of it.
I appreciate and understand the need to eradicate the notion that Suarez is a racist and im all for that, becuase thats what he has been branded, and unfortunately , success or no success at appeal will not change that for the majority.

But whether we like it or not if Evra was offended by what Suarez said, thats that.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #7804 on: December 24, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »
In what way? It has been posted and reposted from language sites that 'Negrito' and 'Negro' in Uruguay, Argentina and other South American countries have no connection with colour.

What? How is that possible?

Are they suggesting that if both SWP and say Leighton Baines  went to Uruguay, they'd both be termed as negritos?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #7805 on: December 24, 2011, 03:24:51 pm »

Are they suggesting that if both SWP and say Leighton Baines  went to Uruguay, they'd both be termed as negritos?

Yes, that is exactly what people who are familiar with the phrase as it is used in Uruguay are saying.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7806 on: December 24, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »

Yep. Look it up yourself. One easy place to start is 'Negro' on the Wiki Language site.

On that page look up 'Negrito' and 'Negro' and notice what it specifically says about Uruguay.

Or read through this thread. I'm bored of reposting it and reposting it.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #7807 on: December 24, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »
If Suarez used a term that Evra found offensive it matters not what we believe or the club believes, thats the crux of it.
I appreciate and understand the need to eradicate the notion that Suarez is a racist and im all for that, becuase thats what he has been branded, and unfortunately , success or no success at appeal will not change that for the majority.

But whether we like it or not if Evra was offended by what Suarez said, thats that.

Except it really isn't.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7808 on: December 24, 2011, 03:29:08 pm »

so should suarez be hung out to dry like this if it wasnt intended as a racist comment though, and if evra was so offended why didnt he bring it up with the ref or to suarez at the time

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7809 on: December 24, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »
Yep. Look it up yourself. One easy place to start is 'Negro' on the Wiki Language site.

On that page look up 'Negrito' and 'Negro' and notice what it specifically says about Uruguay.

Mate every page so far it seem's you have had to post the same thing over and over again each time in response to a different person who doesn't get that Uruguay is a different country, with a different language and culture where words are different and have a different meaning over there.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #7810 on: December 24, 2011, 03:30:35 pm »

Evra is learning Korean. If he mishears a Korean word and feels that it is abusive is that that?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #7811 on: December 24, 2011, 03:30:46 pm »
To think that all of this could have been avoided if the two players had the chance to get together and discuss the issue like grown men.

I actually don't think the FA had any choice but to find Luis guilty of using a "racist" term because he admitted using it himself. The 8 game ban is ridiculously harsh though given the context it was used in, and the whole thing could have been avoided if Evra accepted Luis' explanation for using this term. However, its clear that Evra has either decided that Luis' was deliberately using a racist word towards him knowing it would be hurtful, or he has seen an opportunity to get a rival player banned for a long time.

We should appeal the ban and put forward our case that the term was not meant to be derogatory or hurtful, and lets hope the panel decide to reduce it on this basis. But the way the panel gave their verdict and then delayed giving everyone the reasons why has certainly contributed to the hate campaign against Luis, and for this the FA should be heavily criticised. They should not have given their decision until they had all of their paperwork ready to explain their decision making process.

Regarding the team wearing the Suarez shirts I had no problem with it, but the media backlash has no doubt harmed the clubs reputation with all of the negative publicity. If the panel had the balls to release their reasons for the decision to ban Luis then the public and media would have more of the facts to look at and make an informed decision on the whole thing rather than just jumping on the media's anti-Suarez campaign and berating the lad.

The whole thing has been a mess from start to finish, and sadly LFC and Luis have come out of it smelling like shit.

I agree with most of that.

I'm not sure we come out of it "smelling like shit" though. It's a shitty situation to be fair, but standing up for your player and adopting a siege mentality it something I've wanted this club to do for a long time. What other clubs fans or the media think about it is of no concern, nor should it be, to me.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7812 on: December 24, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »
Mark lawrenson in todays daily mirror......

::) :butt :no

Offline redsox0411

• I've got a crappy one but I've learned to live with it.....it is kind of selfexplanatory.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7813 on: December 24, 2011, 03:31:56 pm »

Perhaps he should learn proper Spanish then. There was no offence intended. Evra started a conversation in Spanish and Suarez used a term that has no racial meaning in his mother tongue, and Evra is offended, because said word is an offensive one in their common second  language? Beyond the Pale

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7814 on: December 24, 2011, 03:32:06 pm »

you mean the banned daily mirror

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7815 on: December 24, 2011, 03:32:33 pm »
Perhaps he should learn proper Spanish then. There was no offence intended. Evra started a conversation in Spanish and Suarez used a term that has no racial meaning in his mother tongue, and Evra is offended, because said word is an offensive one in their common second  language? Beyond the Pale
and also evra is meant to be good mates with some of the south americans who've played there isnt he?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7816 on: December 24, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »

Why are you reading the Mirror though mate? It's been Anti-Liverpool and Anti-LFC from when I was a kid. It's never changed. My missus dad reads it and I just don't get it. He says it's because he likes the crosswords.

A pile of shite written by a pile of wankers from what I've read of the useless fucking pile of twat.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #7817 on: December 24, 2011, 03:34:18 pm »

In terms of the FA sentence, 'proportionality' is the key word as it sends a message that, in their belief, Luis offence was the extreme of racial abuse.
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7818 on: December 24, 2011, 03:34:19 pm »
and also evra is meant to be good mates with some of the south americans who've played there isnt he?

He is. They use the same term to him. In part this is why Suarez was so astonished by the Ban and fine and label of 'racist'.

I'm wondering why Evra hasn't reported them to the FA. Or is it because he already knows what the meaning is?

I'm sure it will all come out.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7819 on: December 24, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »
I agree with most of that.

I'm not sure we come out of it "smelling like shit" though. It's a shitty situation to be fair, but standing up for your player and adopting a siege mentality it something I've wanted this club to do for a long time. What other clubs fans or the media think about it is of no concern, nor should it be, to me.

The part about smelling like shit refers to how the club is preceived by the football community, and right now we are getting a kicking like it or not. This "could" have an effect in turn on sponsors etc, although I would hope that they are sensible enough to realise the club doesn't condone racism despite the warblings of people like Adrian Durham et al.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #7820 on: December 24, 2011, 03:35:07 pm »
To think that all of this could have been avoided if the two players had the chance to get together and discuss the issue like grown men.

Well not if Evra thought that Suarez was a racist......however he clearly said otherwise and so you are absolutely correct. Sort it out privately and if necessary between the two clubs.

The whole thing has been a mess from start to finish, and sadly LFC and Luis have come out of it smelling like shit.

Once it went public then somebody was going to suffer. Evra stated that Suarez wasn't a racist but now the mud is going to stick and that's not going to do him any good. The feeling between the clubs is bound to worsen now.

You've got to be very careful when accusing somebody of racist remarks in football and you've basically given every away crowd to jeer his every touch. Is that what you wanted Evra especially as you claim Suarez is not a racist?
#JFT97

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7821 on: December 24, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »

Is it bollox. If that's how it works (which it isn't by the way) I can pick any word at random I like that you have said to me and claim it's offensive to me and do what Evra did. The 'crux of it' is that you meant to offend not that I was offended.

As for Ferguson and his comments; "the matter is over" - says who ? I am not sure why he thinks that's for his club to decide, and "we're satisfied with the decision" - doesn't really matter if they weren't, they don't set the punishment the FA does ... what would he (or will he) do then when/if Suarez gets a reduced ban through appeal or gets cleared entirely ?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7822 on: December 24, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
...and everyone else is entitled to an opinion without the fear of being put in hospital.

Sorry, mate, but that standpoint makes you the racially intolerant one, much as I appreciate that you're trying to be the exact opposite and protective of what you perceive to be the wronged ethnic minority group. If you can't accept someone might have a slightly different understanding of racial terms than you and the black lads you know, and it's possible for some cultures to use black in a non-perjorative sense, then I would humbly suggest your attitude is, ironically, one of racial intolerance and your proposed approach to anyone transgressing your view of the world is frankly pretty ugly.

All this boils down to communication, words, meaning and interpretation. Suggesting that you would injure someone and put them in hospital for an unintended slur, however heinous it might sound, is bewildering and does you or any racial minority no good whatsoever.

Very well said.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #7823 on: December 24, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »

There's actually not too much wrong with what he's said, other than the fact that he seems to think that the football side of things and the fact that he can't play for us during his ban is the most important thing, and hardly mentioning the damage caused to Luis Suarez as a person, which for me is THE most important aspect of all of this, coupled with the precedent the FA are disastrously setting.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Luis Suarez - FA guilty charge and LFC Statement (*)
« Reply #7824 on: December 24, 2011, 03:37:19 pm »

M
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7825 on: December 24, 2011, 03:38:00 pm »
Is it bollox. If that's how it works (which it isn't by the way) I can pick any word at random I like that you have said to me and claim it's offensive to me and do what Evra did. The 'crux of it' is that you meant to offend not that I was offended.

Depends what the word is. "Negro" comes with a certain amount of baggage, you have to see that.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7826 on: December 24, 2011, 03:39:38 pm »
Depends what the word is. "Negro" comes with a certain amount of baggage, you have to see that.
in english it does, not in spanish which was the language of the conversation

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7827 on: December 24, 2011, 03:44:59 pm »

I understand that, but it isn't just "picking any word at random" is it?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #7828 on: December 24, 2011, 03:46:26 pm »

not in its own right is it racist but in spanish it means black. It just depends what went before the "black" and what went after and until we all know exactly what that was its hard to know.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7829 on: December 24, 2011, 03:46:38 pm »

Which bit of Suarez saying he only used a word Evra's team mates use didn't you understand.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #7830 on: December 24, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »

Fair enough.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #7831 on: December 24, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »

Really not that simple, even though I understand why you're saying it is.

In terms of a strict, technical application of the law, you can argue that it is. After all, Suarez used a term that a reasonable man could take to be insulting and made reference to black, which is the colour of Evra's skin, and Evra took offence. This fits the definition and therefore makes him guilty.

BUT

1. Evra openend the conversation with (it seems) a pretty vile, racist insult, IN SPANISH.

2. Suarez response was patronising (I don't think it was endearing or friendly use of the word negro/negrito, nor do I think it was meant in a racially perjorative way) and also IN SPANISH.

3. The initial insult and response have been translated into English such that they both lose their meaning in the language in which they were used, the language in which Evra started the exchange in Spanish. The two terms are now entirely different pollluted as they are by British colonial history and racism rather than Spanish colonial history and racism.

4. The charge is about racist language. One of two things should have happened.

Either...It should not be translated. It should be judged in the idiom and with the context this gives.

Or... After translation, Suarez could only be found guilty, but the culturo-linguistic complexities should've completely mitigate Suarez's sentence such that it should merely have been a large suspended sentence hanging over him, with LFC guaranteeing to educate him and the FA/PFA/Kick it out campaign learning from the experience and setting up bespoke educational packages for foreign players to understand the cultural differences and aceeptable norms in Britain.

But no, scapegoat the foreigner, make a cheap political point and bury the real problems. The FA way
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #7832 on: December 24, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »
I agree with this quote from Steve Doughty of the Daily Mail

We need to tell the difference between the sort of gross and repugnant racism that used to disfigure British football grounds and the low-level everyday heat-of-the-moment on-field abuse that may or may not have been intended as a racial slur.
We need to be aware that there is a danger of going round in ever-decreasing circles.
My view is that the Suarez punishment was a mistake and will only serve to deepen resentment and bad feeling among thousands of football fans.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:51:22 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #7833 on: December 24, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »
Which bit of Suarez saying he only used a word Evra's team mates use didn't you understand.

The thing is though I think that is irrelevant as well. What your mates call you is not what you would allow a stranger to call you. Your mates can call you "fat" as banter". You are not going be laughing if some random/competitor etc called you "Fat"
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #7834 on: December 24, 2011, 03:49:49 pm »
so should suarez be hung out to dry like this if it wasnt intended as a racist comment though, and if evra was so offended why didnt he bring it up with the ref or to suarez at the time

Of course he shouldnt mate, Im as appaled at the witchunt as anyone.
Of course as well it was not intended to be a racist comment, but regardless of intention if it happened to offend Evra, which in turn it seemed to, and i realise thats very questionable when we consider he mentioned nothing to the ref at the time, that however does not mean he wasnt offended by it.

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #7835 on: December 24, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »
In terms of the FA sentence, 'proportionality' is the key word as it sends a message that, in their belief, Luis offence was the extreme of racial abuse.

Absolutely agree mate. And for the record I am disgusted by the way the media and the FA have treated this incident.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #7836 on: December 24, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »
Even once the offending word is revealed in the published documents, if it is negro, we'll need to know whether it was said as 'knee-grow' or 'negg-row'. You'd assume Suarez would have used the latter, and using the former could be seen as quite a bit dodgier, so it's a very impotant distinction.

That word itself has only become a no-no in English as a result of the shameful history of segregation in the United States of America. Obviously you'd get yourself in similar hot water if you ever said "Hey you, black", or "What's up, black?" to a black person (unless of course you were on the closest of terms with them, and it was more a sort of mutually agreeable affectionate nickname that truly transcended both race and political correctness - like honestly enjoying being called whitey or blanco by good friends of other ethnicities). But it's generally understood that "the tall black guy over there in the leather jacket" is absolutely fine, and a world away from "the tall negro [knee-grow] guy over there...". This is why this particular case calls for a great deal of sensitivity and clarity in its handling, for the sake of both parties.

One things for certain, whoever made the decision to publish the verdict long before providing the evidence is either an idiot or a complete cunt or both. They've left Luis and LFC dangling precariously in the media storm.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #7837 on: December 24, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »

bollox

what about if Suarez used a term that both Evra and his manager thought he could use to his advantage
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #7838 on: December 24, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »
The part about smelling like shit refers to how the club is preceived by the football community, and right now we are getting a kicking like it or not. This "could" have an effect in turn on sponsors etc, although I would hope that they are sensible enough to realise the club doesn't condone racism despite the warblings of people like Adrian Durham et al.
Additionally, it's not over yet. NESN, John Henry's American mouthpiece, have already started to explain LFC's and Suarez's position. I think this is going to be an ugly war that will be waged via media and legal fronts, and if and when the "Sudaco" stuff comes out, a few people, like Adrian Durham and Paul McGrath are going to look pretty fucking hypocritical.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
« Reply #7839 on: December 24, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »
He called him "Mate"

You'd honestly hospitalise someone if they called you "mate" or "Pal" in English?

Some people seem to be  more sensitive, attuned or aware of these things than others by all accounts.
Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)