Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1940636 times)

Offline DdeGea

• Superceded by OleGea
  • Main Stander
Re: General Newcastle United thread - now with added Benitez
« Reply #10360 on: October 28, 2017, 08:40:43 pm »
that whole run from march onwards was exceptional, Madrid away, home, mancs away, villa home 5-0 barcodes 3 or 4-0, Blackburn 4-1,  fanastic balance and  endurance so much so we purring come the end of that season
But what did you win?

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #10361 on: October 28, 2017, 10:15:51 pm »
But what did you win?
that wasn't the point though was it, so why dont you fuck off back to the shitocat thread and stop provoking shite when genuine football discussions are taking place
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline DdeGea

• Superceded by OleGea
  • Main Stander
« Reply #10362 on: October 28, 2017, 10:45:41 pm »
that wasn't the point though was it, so why dont you fuck off back to the shitocat thread and stop provoking shite when genuine football discussions are taking place
Hook, line and sinker.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #10363 on: October 29, 2017, 08:34:28 am »
Hmmm if you're saying achievements don't have a factor in judging the quality of a coach, I don't really agree. I'd also say Klopp's Liverpool at it's absolute best (Arsenal games, City thrashing etc) has been better than any Rafa side I've seen.
We struggle to break down the dross in the league. That against a well regimented defence with lethal attacking options.

I can't see it ending too well for our current iteration. We were lethal on the counter back then too and they'd wipe the floor against our current defence.

Imagine Alonso, Masch and Gerrard against our current midfield.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10364 on: October 29, 2017, 09:24:21 am »
That 08/09 team is easily the best Liverpool team I've seen

Massive shame that the parts didn't come together for long enough to win anything. Wonder what could have been if we'd gone 4-2-3-1 a season earlier, which got the best out of Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano, and created a position for Kuyt to play his best football for us. Unfortunately 3 of that first 11 were horribly injury prone too, in Agger, Aurelio and Torres.

Also coincided with Man Utd having a pretty incredible defense without sacrificing the goals needed to win matches, didn't they get like 11 clean sheets in a row in the middle of that season?

Speaking of Mascherano, as successful as he's been for Barca, I think its a bit of a shame that he went somewhere he wouldn't play DM as often. He's world class in that position. Was anyway, not watched Argentina recently.

Unfortunately can't see Rafa ever coming back here (obviously the ideal situation is that he never has to.) The same fucking idiots who wanted him out the first time and seemed to be the loudest at the time would see to that. Not to get all conspiratorial, but there genuinely seemed to be an effort to get him out amongst the media throughout his time here. Even when we were doing well, you couldn't go 3 weeks without some report or other coming out that suggested he was on the verge of being sacked.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:30:30 am by rowan_d »

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10365 on: October 29, 2017, 10:02:31 am »
He's in the top 3 most popular managers we've ever had.  I don't know where he would sit in that top 3 as it's impossible to know.  I can tell you that I don't know a single person who dislikes him or wants him gone.  I sometimes hear a person or two questioning his team selection but that's it and they'll usually end it with "in Rafa we trust" or something similar.

I would say that he's got as close to 100% backing of the fans as you can get.  He's got that because he's a hell of a manager and he's also a hell of a person.

I still miss Rafa. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Great manager great man.

I had so many arguments with other LFC fans when he was sacked. It took me so long to get over him leaving. Getting hodgson in after him didn't help like 😂.

I'm jealous of you lot.

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10366 on: October 29, 2017, 10:44:14 am »
I still miss Rafa. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Great manager great man.

I had so many arguments with other LFC fans when he was sacked. It took me so long to get over him leaving. Getting hodgson in after him didn't help like 😂.

I'm jealous of you lot.

Last weekend I was getting ready to go to the match and I burst out laughing when I thought about Rafa being at the club, I don't think I've done that about any other manager because we have no right to have him at our club.   It was different when Keegan and Bobby managed us because they had ties to the club, this is actually different because somehow we managed to attract Rafa and that's surreal and I don't think I'll ever take him for granted.

Hopefully we'll get owners who appreciate what they have in Rafa, if we do we're in for some exciting times in the not too distant future because he's the one person at the club who could potentially get us punching above our weight and we haven't even punched at our weight for a long time. 

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10367 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:50 am »
Hook, line and sinker.
ooohhh  you are so clever and i walked right into your trap, silly me.  what a sad twat you are hanging around on opposition forums, i mean seriously if that isnt attention seeking i dont know what is.  infact that is the only role for some half baked manc who probably views scouse baiting as more important/passionate than supporting their own team. Very strange indeed.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10368 on: October 29, 2017, 11:07:55 am »
ooohhh  you are so clever and i walked right into your trap, silly me.  what a sad twat you are hanging around on opposition forums, i mean seriously if that isnt attention seeking i dont know what is.  infact that is the only role for some half baked manc who probably views scouse baiting as more important/passionate than supporting their own team. Very strange indeed.

That could be said about a few of us, I think the difference is that some people try to point score without actually adding anything to the debate.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10369 on: October 29, 2017, 11:13:37 am »
Yep

Its great having fans of other clubs here, but at least get your feet under the table before trolling.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10370 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:59 am »
That could be said about a few of us, I think the difference is that some people try to point score without actually adding anything to the debate.

agreed was not calling out those from other clubs who enjoy and contribute and have come to be appreciated on RAWK, but this guy is an exception and is a  bit embarrassing

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #10371 on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:56 am »
On the earlier subject of him at Madrid, I don't think he did fail there. He got hounded out because the fans/directors at the club are fucking bellends. He won the vast majority of his matches there, many of which very convincingly (as you'd probably expect a team of Madrid's resources to do.

Firstly, if they'd kept Rafa on, they'd have still won the European cup. Their run to the final wasn't anything special if I remember, but I think they sacked him in about January, before the knockout rounds began.

Also, they ended up finishing just a point behind Barcelona, and even though they ended the season very strongly under Zidane, Benitez had them in a stronger position to challenge at one point. They were playing catch up at the end and only finished a point behind because Barca had a poor run of games before winning the title on the last day.

Even if he did stay on for the entire season without winning anything, you can basically guarantee he'd have won them the title and european cup sooner rather than later, not like they'd ever give him the time do so.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #10372 on: October 29, 2017, 11:56:03 am »
My God.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #10373 on: October 29, 2017, 12:16:00 pm »
Fuck me someone just needs to bring up net spend and this Rafa thread is complete.

And zonal marking...
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10374 on: October 29, 2017, 12:35:37 pm »

Yeah the likes of you and Paully are great to have around. It's not just about the Benitez connection, there are Arsenal, Spurs, City fans on here whose teams usually do better who are good around the place too.

And b&w Paul's been here so long he's practically a founding member ;D

It just doesn't work that well with red Mancs (nor Chelsea!)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:32:27 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10375 on: October 29, 2017, 12:45:09 pm »
The 2009 era team would beat the Klopp Liverpool team easily.

Reina

Arbeloa        Hypiya      Agger       Aurelio

Masch        Alonso

Kuyt               Gerrard           Benayoun

Torres

Wouldn’t even be close. They could either go toe to toe and have a high scoring thriller or dog it out and get a 1-0. They were also very capable of kicking the shit out of the opposition.

Klopps team is still wildly unbalanced defensively.
No Carragher?

A lot of these kind of players are hard to come by, good mixture of leadership and talent. Exactly the kind of players Rafa did well to unearth.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10376 on: October 29, 2017, 12:52:01 pm »
No Carragher?

A lot of these kind of players are hard to come by, good mixture of leadership and talent. Exactly the kind of players Rafa did well to unearth.

Ha, not for me sorry. Sami is Sami and Agger is my favourite Liverpool player of the modern era, so Carragher would be on the bench.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10377 on: October 29, 2017, 01:06:18 pm »
Newcastle United are in talks "with new and credible parties" after Mike Ashley put the club up for sale, according to his lawyer.

Who are they, I have heard nothing.

Amanda Staveley, a potential buyer, has signed a non-disclosure agreement but that was a few weeks ago and I've heard nothing since.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10378 on: October 29, 2017, 01:46:07 pm »
Newcastle United are in talks "with new and credible parties" after Mike Ashley put the club up for sale, according to his lawyer.

Who are they, I have heard nothing.

Amanda Staveley, a potential buyer, has signed a non-disclosure agreement but that was a few weeks ago and I've heard nothing since

Might have something to do with that pesky NDA she signed..... ;D

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:49:55 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
« Reply #10379 on: October 29, 2017, 03:29:16 pm »
Last weekend I was getting ready to go to the match and I burst out laughing when I thought about Rafa being at the club, I don't think I've done that about any other manager because we have no right to have him at our club.   It was different when Keegan and Bobby managed us because they had ties to the club, this is actually different because somehow we managed to attract Rafa and that's surreal and I don't think I'll ever take him for granted.

Hopefully we'll get owners who appreciate what they have in Rafa, if we do we're in for some exciting times in the not too distant future because he's the one person at the club who could potentially get us punching above our weight and we haven't even punched at our weight for a long time.

He will win you a trophy if you keep him long term. He knows how to win a cup.

I'm glad you and rest of your fans love him. He deserves it.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #10380 on: October 29, 2017, 03:33:10 pm »
Hmmm if you're saying achievements don't have a factor in judging the quality of a coach, I don't really agree. I'd also say Klopp's Liverpool at it's absolute best (Arsenal games, City thrashing etc) has been better than any Rafa side I've seen.

Butting in here - Klopps' Liverpool at its absolute best have been some of the best attacking football I've seen played by a Liverpool team (Rodgers' team not far behind). But coming up against the best, or even a half-decent Liverpool side, they'd get absolutely choked. Rafa's team wins it 1-0 or 2-0. There's a huge gulf in class between the one offs that Rodgers/Klopp managed to create and the Liverpool side that was frustrating Europe's best teams by choking them out.

They would ruin our current midfield for starters, and the less said about our defence (Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Benayoun up against our Benny Hill lot? Fuck me sideways)...and they were strong enough in defence to keep a clean sheet even against the very best attacks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:39:56 pm by _00_deathscar »
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #10381 on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:05 am »
It’s great seeing your lot’s admiration for Rafa! He genuinely has the backing of every fan and exciting times could well be ahead!

I’m off to Burnley soon and I’m going for a 2-0 win!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #10382 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:01 am »
Big game tonight.

I was looking at Burnley,  for all the talk of Dyches supposed tactical nous they've played West Brom, Palace, Huddersfield and West Ham so far and only won against Palace (1-0).

The Geordies have lost to Hudders and Brighton away, beaten Swansea and then drew with Southampton last week.

All points to a tightly fought low scoring contest tonight perhaps.

I think the likes of Shelvey , Ritchie, Atsu and Perez moreso need to start getting amongst the goals soon to ensure their survival first and foremost and then to kick on into the top 10 hopefully.
Lacelles (2) has more than any of their midfielders right now. Might be something Rafa will look to help sort in January.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10383 on: October 30, 2017, 02:53:03 pm »
The 2009 era team would beat the Klopp Liverpool team easily.

Reina

Arbeloa        Hypiya      Agger       Aurelio

Masch        Alonso

Kuyt               Gerrard           Benayoun

Torres

Wouldn’t even be close. They could either go toe to toe and have a high scoring thriller or dog it out and get a 1-0. They were also very capable of kicking the shit out of the opposition.

Klopps team is still wildly unbalanced defensively.

of course they would, it's a far better team.

So far, the team we have now has some fantastic attacking talents, probably 3 or 4 good or up and coming defenders in Matip, Gomez, Clyne and maybe Robertson,  1 or 2 talented attacking midfielders in Cout and Gini, but huge issues in central midfield and central defence and those are probably the 2 most key areas in a team. That team above was a million miles ahead of this current squad in those 2 areas, which makes it a far better team. Benitez had a couple cracking teams to work with here. Not sure if Kloppo ever will. Althogh Keita solves one huge problem!

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10384 on: October 30, 2017, 03:59:00 pm »
I would have strongly agreed with you, but then I remembered you just the other week trashing Ancelotti as a has been  ;D.

I think the answer is not as black and white. Like with many professions, people get tired and worn out with the passing of time. In high pressure environments like football management, it's easy to imagine someone not being the force they were earlier in their careers. You only have to look at the likes of Wenger, Capello and Hiddink to see decent examples of managers who once were leaders in their field yet seemed to lose that edge as they got older. Capello and Hiddink wisely realised that they should cash in on their successes as it became more difficult to compete with younger managers.

It may be premature to call the likes of Pochettino and Nagelsmann world-class as they haven't won anything yet, but you also have to make judgments within some context. The reality is that some managers are on an upward curve whereas others are on the decline.

As for Rafa, he seems to be managing just fine. In fact, I can't see any signs that he has lost his passion for the game, nor has his strengths as a manager diminished.
I agree that managers, like players, also get old and stall in their development/regress. So Ancelotti, Lippi, Capello and Wenger doing just that is something I accept.

However, if you told me to pick Wagner or Ancelotti, I would go with Ancelotti every time. Not Wenger or Capello, those two are clearly very past it to me. Ancelotti as achieved big things recently.

My point is, these younger managers are a huge, huge gamble. In this particular case, I was talking of people comparing younger managers to Mourinho's of the world. These are still very much active managers who are doing well.

PS Overall, I cannot disagree with anything in your post. Great arguments!

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #10385 on: October 30, 2017, 05:02:13 pm »

Yea they really were well balanced weren't they? Could really duke it out in any way - or choke/crush the opposition, or just overpower them physically/technically (cf. Real Madrid). Real shame what happened not only that season (probably one of the best Manchester United sides that, 11 clean sheets, Macheda, Spurs penalty, 4-4 vs Arsenal, us trying to go all out vs Chelsea and nearly doing it with Gerrard not even playing) and also what happened subsequently. Should have been the start of a dynasty that. Instead the team was gutted within two seasons.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #10386 on: October 30, 2017, 05:20:44 pm »
He failed at Napoli in the sense he didn't really improve them.

Think he improved the squad considerably and Napoli is reaping the rewards for a couple of seasons now. Reina, Ghoulam, Albiol, Koulibaly, Jorginho, Mertens, Callejon, all starters and integral to the team.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10387 on: October 30, 2017, 06:09:35 pm »
Think he improved the squad considerably and Napoli is reaping the rewards for a couple of seasons now. Reina, Ghoulam, Albiol, Koulibaly, Jorginho, Mertens, Callejon, all starters and integral to the team.

Yep. Rafa has had a massive influence on that Napoli team.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10388 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:05 pm »
As you say, these guys are integral to them even YEARS after Rafa left that team. I thought it needs stressing that Rafa left Napoli a while ago.

At least he purchased a lot of players who did well there.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10389 on: October 30, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »
Would you Geordies be happy with a point tonight?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10390 on: October 30, 2017, 06:44:00 pm »
Definitely not, I always want 3 points for Newcastle every game they play.

A draw tonight is the best result for Liverpool as if one of us wins we go above you's I believe.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10391 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »
Definitely not, I always want 3 points for Newcastle every game they play.

A draw tonight is the best result for Liverpool as if one of us wins we go above you's I believe.

Your result is largely irrelevant to us as we'll be finishing well above Newcastle in the table come season's end.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10392 on: October 30, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »

I'd take a point, 3 points would be even better.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10393 on: October 30, 2017, 07:01:14 pm »
Your result is largely irrelevant to us as we'll be finishing well above Newcastle in the table come season's end.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Whatever.

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10394 on: October 30, 2017, 07:02:26 pm »

At this time I agree with you, we will need a new owner and Rafa getting good money in January to be anywhere near you come the end of the season.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10395 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:20 pm »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10396 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:43 pm »
Merino injured?

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10397 on: October 30, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #10398 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:52 pm »
This one is going to be a tough nut to crack by the looks of it. Newcastle will do well here if they leave with a point.

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10399 on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:15 pm »
This one is going to be a tough nut to crack by the looks of it. Newcastle will do well here if they leave with a point.

We don't usually wake up until the 20th minute.