Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1940686 times)

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Newcastle United thread - now with added Benitez
« Reply #10040 on: September 7, 2017, 07:45:07 am »
We've known it for a while but it's no wonder how our commercial income is horrific!

https://musingsofanufcfan.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 07:47:56 am by Paully »

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #10041 on: September 7, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »
I knew that Ashley's calculated SKY PR “interview” would fool idiots into thinking this not that the fat-headed wank-stain needs an excuse to have a go at our fans! Him and Rafa aren't too pally wither are they from his time with you lot?!

Fat Sam

"Of course he openly said you can’t compete with Manchester City, as much as the fans would want them to [/b]- because there’s a lot up them up there - they can’t compete with Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea even perhaps Everton, certainly not Liverpool. Financially they just can’t get there; you have to do the best you possibly can with what you get"

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10042 on: September 8, 2017, 09:05:16 am »
Paul, might be the wrong thread to ask, but do you have a relative in the horse racing fraternity?!
Are you being serious here or referring to that fat idiot who squared up to the Police horse?

My answer is no, no relative of mine is involved in horse racing    :)

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #10043 on: September 8, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »
Brilliant as always from Caulkin;

GEORGE CAULKIN
september 8 2017, 12:00am, the times
Rafa Benítez illness feels symbolic of Newcastle United’s malaise under Mike Ashley
george caulkin, northern sports correspondent

Newcastle United fans fear manager’s possible absence on Sunday is start of a long goodbye, writes George Caulkin

For Rafa Benítez, injury was added to insult. After a loveless end to the transfer window and a summer of festering tension, the Spaniard set off for Newcastle yesterday after minor surgery to clean out an old hernia wound, but discomfort turned him back to his home on Merseyside. Those stitches and staples, that flare up of infection, feel symbolic of a club who are once again ailing.

Benítez is stubborn, but his staff are advising him to miss Sunday’s Premier League fixture away to Swansea City. It is an inconvenience, but it may also be what the future looks like, because there is a sickness to Mike Ashley’s Newcastle United, a regime with an allergy to consecutive good decisions. Where their manager is concerned, supporters fear that a long goodbye has already begun.

Promoted to the Premier League as champions, powered by momentum, coalescing behind a garlanded coach, Newcastle should, in theory, be in the rudest of good health, a rebirth the city yearned for. They were no longer the dead-eyed works team of Ashley’s Sports Direct, but an energised institution, promising more. Blissfully, briefly, they shimmered with possibility.
Ashley does not have the wit to see history repeating itself

That moment has shrivelled. Having confounded precedent by appointing a man with a gilded CV and a reputation for pushing clubs — as all good managers must — the sportswear retailer is sowing discord, spreading dismay.

Last week, as the deadline approached, Benítez travelled to Switzerland to attend the Uefa elite coaches forum, chaired by Mr. Ferguson. Back on Gallowgate, Newcastle were trying and failing to sign Matt Targett, a bit-part left back, on loan from Southampton.
It made for a depressing juxtaposition. “What an irony,” nufc.com said, that Benítez should leave such a prestigious gathering, “to try and manage a club with absolutely no ambition and run like a pub side.” It was not a dissenting voice. At True Faith, the Newcastle fanzine, there is “an overwhelming sense of dread”. The Mag, meanwhile, wrote that “the ‘Rafalution’ and Newcastle’s last hope now hang by a thread.”

To understand the plunging mood, you must contextualise Ashley’s decade at St James’ Park, the two relegations, the dismissal of cups as not a “priority”. He has twice employed Joe Kinnear and meted out humiliation to Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan. The name of the ground was changed. There is plenty more, but as a banner inside the stadium summarised: “We don’t demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries”.

Alan Pardew, John Carver and Steve McClaren all explained that Newcastle could not compete, which was what made Benítez’s arrival last March all the more extraordinary, both from his and Ashley’s perspective. Benítez spoke about stature and history. He looked at the club and did not simply see the eyesore of countless hoardings for Sports Direct, he saw potential.

At a meeting with Ashley at the end of last season, Benítez was given a budget and, like the previous year, encouraged to stay. He set up deals for Tammy Abraham and Willy Caballero but nothing happened. Abraham will face Newcastle for Swansea City on Sunday having joined on loan from Chelsea, while Caballero moved on a free to the league champions. Newcastle were playing catch-up but never caught up and Benítez, who refused to dismantle the Championship team he had assembled before replacements were signed, expressed concern. In public, he implored Ashley to “keep his word.”

When all the haggling stopped, Newcastle’s net spend was below Huddersfield Town and Brighton & Hove Albion, both promoted with them. There was no new goalkeeper and no fit left back. “A complete shambles,” nufc.com called it. “These penny-pinchers are gambling with our future yet again.”

In January, Benítez wanted two new players, but none came. An absentee landlord, Ashley began attending matches, but avoided his most prominent employee. Dysfunction again, infection spreading. There has been no direct conversation between them since May. When Ashley gave a rare interview to Sky Sports last month, he apologised to Keegan and Shearer, but does not have the wit to see history repeating itself.

Not for the first time, Ashley is seeking to sell the club but he has learnt nothing. His drive for self-sufficiency at Newcastle now feels like ideological austerity. Beyond some skin-deep alterations, the training ground is unimproved. Commercial income has fallen. And now the team have been starved of investment and the great risk-taker has rolled the dice on doing just enough.

Benítez is not a just-enough manager. He longs to repay fans who have shown him adoration but avoiding relegation is a questionable dream and although he will not resign, it is not unreasonable for him to expect more. When his health allows, he will get on with it, anchored to the club by a contract that stretches for one more full season, by his relationship with supporters and little else.
One day, West Ham United, who are long-term suitors, or some other club will stump up Benítez’s £6 million release clause. Ashley believes he has spent too much of his own money, but millions have been wasted chasing his mistakes. He is making another one and the cost will be more than cash. He is not Newcastle’s owner, he is its illness.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #10044 on: September 8, 2017, 07:57:44 pm »
Get well soon, Rafa!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #10045 on: September 8, 2017, 08:45:52 pm »
Get well soon Rafa.

Get well soon Newcastle.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #10046 on: September 9, 2017, 01:33:02 am »

Madras Rubber Factory, the largest manufacturer of tyres in India, have been announced as a new sponsor.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #10047 on: September 9, 2017, 02:36:51 am »
Get well soon Rafa.

Get well soon Newcastle.
Amen
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10048 on: September 9, 2017, 03:57:04 am »
Even their manager is getting crocked, Mbemba missing at left back too. Get well Rafa.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10049 on: September 9, 2017, 11:11:41 am »

Madras Rubber Factory, the largest manufacturer of tyres in India, have been announced as a new sponsor.

We haven't been told how much it is worth to Newcastle United, not that it will matter to anyone other than Fat Mike.  I'm willing to bet Rafa won't get to spend any of it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10050 on: September 9, 2017, 11:12:39 am »
Get well soon Rafa.

Get well soon Newcastle.

+1.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10051 on: September 9, 2017, 11:18:34 am »
Get well soon Rafa.

Get well soon Newcastle.
Get well soon, Rafa!

What's this about? Has Rafa taken ill?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10052 on: September 9, 2017, 11:28:37 am »
Get well soon Rafa.

Get well soon Newcastle.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10053 on: September 9, 2017, 11:30:26 am »

What's this about? Has Rafa taken ill?

He's recovering from surgery to sort out an infection.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2017, 11:34:38 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10054 on: September 9, 2017, 11:38:54 am »
We haven't been told how much it is worth to Newcastle United, not that it will matter to anyone other than Fat Mike.  I'm willing to bet Rafa won't get to spend any of it.
dome after the window shuts too

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10055 on: September 9, 2017, 11:42:17 am »
dome after the window shuts too
He is a right sly bastard is Fat Mike.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10056 on: September 9, 2017, 12:01:30 pm »
If Rafa cannot make the game tomorrow Francisco de Miguel Moreno could well be in charge of the team at Swansea.

Moreno has been with Rafa for 13 years now since he joined him at Liverpool in 2004 and he’s been at every club Rafa has managed since then.

He is the fitness coach and takes the training every day and is responsible for the training sessions and regulates the load in the sessions.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10057 on: September 9, 2017, 12:10:47 pm »
He's recovering from surgery to sort out an infection.

Oh right, o.k. Get well soon Rafa.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10058 on: September 9, 2017, 12:27:36 pm »
If Rafa cannot make the game tomorrow Francisco de Miguel Moreno could well be in charge of the team at Swansea.

Moreno has been with Rafa for 13 years now since he joined him at Liverpool in 2004 and he’s been at every club Rafa has managed since then.

He is the fitness coach and takes the training every day and is responsible for the training sessions and regulates the load in the sessions.
Rafa doesn't have assistant coach at Newcastle?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #10059 on: September 9, 2017, 03:28:40 pm »

'We are reading all your good wishes for Rafa´s recovery and he wants to express his gratitude for all this kindness' -
 https://twitter.com/rafabenitezweb/status/906134092613287937
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10060 on: September 10, 2017, 06:22:59 pm »
All of a sudden Newcastle won't look that bad if they win against Stoke at home.
Did Shelvey not play due to his ban or Rafa is done with him after his stupidity against Spurs?

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #10061 on: September 10, 2017, 06:48:10 pm »
Well in Rafa and Newcastle. Suddenly their start looks pretty good.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #10062 on: September 10, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »
That Jamal Lascelles could be quite a player.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10063 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:49 pm »
This stuff with Ritchie's tackle is really interesting.

I recently made a suggestion that referee reports should be made public, so we can understand some of the decisions they make. I'd love to compare the referee's report from the Newcastle game, to John Moss's. Is it purely contact that got Mane sent off? Probably.

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10064 on: September 10, 2017, 10:32:57 pm »
All of a sudden Newcastle won't look that bad if they win against Stoke at home.
Did Shelvey not play due to his ban or Rafa is done with him after his stupidity against Spurs?

I doubt that Rafa trusts Shelvey and I'm glad he's left him on the bench to teach him a lesson.  It has helped that the midfield have done well enough without him and Merino looks like a great player in the making.

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10065 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:12 pm »
This stuff with Ritchie's tackle is really interesting.

I recently made a suggestion that referee reports should be made public, so we can understand some of the decisions they make. I'd love to compare the referee's report from the Newcastle game, to John Moss's. Is it purely contact that got Mane sent off? Probably.

The tackle from Ritchie deserved a yellow and I would say that if you put your studs in somebodies face you have no argument if you get a red.  Against Huddersfield Kachunga kicked Mbemba in the face and drew blood in the first few minutes, he didn't even get a yellow card.

Offline Toon-Mick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10066 on: September 10, 2017, 10:43:41 pm »
Well in Rafa and Newcastle. Suddenly their start looks pretty good.

Last season we lost our first two, including one to Huddersfield and then we won our next 5.  Our next 3 games are Stoke at home, Brighton away and the 5th will be against you lot at home.  I can see us beating stoke and possible drawing the other two, I think playing you at home looks to be the toughest of those three.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10067 on: September 10, 2017, 10:57:35 pm »
Last season we lost our first two, including one to Huddersfield and then we won our next 5.  Our next 3 games are Stoke at home, Brighton away and the 5th will be against you lot at home.  I can see us beating stoke and possible drawing the other two, I think playing you at home looks to be the toughest of those three.

I really hope we're a tougher game than Stoke or Brighton, fucking hell.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10068 on: September 11, 2017, 03:10:15 am »
Well done Newcastle.

I know we've got Keita but a player like Merino could set our midfield up for years, fitness permitting. Especially in the defensive phase, he's far from a mere destroyer. Excellent in both phases, more mobile than Alonso too, who he's been compared to. Iirc he's just on loan, worth making a big money bid?

Just joking mags, enjoy him haha

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10069 on: September 11, 2017, 03:47:20 am »
Is Jerome Lascelles any good? Remember he was highly rated when they signed him and sent him back on loan. His first full season was in the Championship with NUFC, and he's already their captain at 23 (turning 24 in November). I don't know anything about him, really, but someone to keep an eye on. Nice goal today.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10070 on: September 11, 2017, 04:49:30 am »
watched the game.

As typical of a Rafa performance as you can get.

Swansea looks to have much of the possession but never in control of the game. Newcastle were well drilled and some of their attacking play was pretty good too. Merino looks a top player. Everywhere on the pitch and very forward thinking.

The subs made too much sense especially when 1 up. Gayle to add an injection of pace for Joselu when Swansea was desperate for the equalizer. Straight from the coaching manual that.

The travelling fans singing rafa's name is brilliant too.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10071 on: September 11, 2017, 07:21:42 am »
I really hope we're a tougher game than Stoke or Brighton, fucking hell.
;D

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #10072 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:46 am »
Brilliant 3 points that! Merino was superb again and is going to be a top, top, top player!

He's working from home,
He's working from home,
Rafa Benitez,
He's working from home!

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #10073 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:23 am »
Is Jerome Lascelles any good? Remember he was highly rated when they signed him and sent him back on loan. His first full season was in the Championship with NUFC, and he's already their captain at 23 (turning 24 in November).I don't know anything about him, really, but someone to keep an eye on. Nice goal today.

It is Jamaal Lascelles, not Jerome. And looks like a decent player. Physically strong, quick enough, and what Rafa would, a kaaracter. If he continues like this and stays under Rafa's tutelage, think he will be in the National squad in a season or two.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10074 on: September 11, 2017, 07:51:47 am »
Nice one Rafa
choose Life.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #10075 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:44 am »
Lascelles comes across really well, born captain and the sort of guy who seems to be enjoying working under Rafa and learning from him. Great in the air too.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Paully

• Kopite
« Reply #10076 on: September 11, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »
Cracking win!

Merino is some player and will only get better! I'm going to enjoy him while I can!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #10077 on: September 11, 2017, 12:24:25 pm »
The tackle from Ritchie deserved a yellow and I would say that if you put your studs in somebodies face you have no argument if you get a red.  Against Huddersfield Kachunga kicked Mbemba in the face and drew blood in the first few minutes, he didn't even get a yellow card.

Above waist height. Anyone doing a Brooking probably deserves a kick in the face.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10078 on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:19 pm »
Cracking win!

Merino is some player and will only get better! I'm going to enjoy him while I can!

Just messing with you and the other Newcastle posters on here Paully ;D

I hope he stays there for a long time, fit, in a good side under Benitez. It's a bit sad everytime you get a good prospect you have to think that way, hopefully with Benitez and the money in the league Newcastle get more resistant to that. Our issue isn't about personnel in midfield anyway, more about how they are put together, whatever we spend next is going into the defence.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10079 on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:23 pm »
Above waist height. Anyone doing a Brooking probably deserves a kick in the face.

Trevor I presume? Could you enlighten someone who's missed his playing career, what "a Brooking" is? To me "Brooking" means providing boring and uninformative punditry, also known as "Shearing".
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258