Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo  (Read 24584 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo
« Reply #160 on: June 4, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »
Lucky Messi is a big game player then as well then. The biggest game in football is El Clasico. Which Messi has scored more goals in than anyone in history.
you don't get a trophy for winning that game
:lmao

How? How has he won the argument?
Won more European cups including a back to back and an international trophy whereas Messi failed to do the first with supposedly the best team ever and lost three finals in a row for his country. Plus his numbers in the CL are way above messi's, topped that list 5 years in a row btw, and was second in assists this season this season too.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2470835.html

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: June 4, 2017, 12:34:31 pm »
I think he's incredible. But come on, he's not on the same level as Messi. Nobody is.

Exactly how I see it. You watch Messi play and you can't believe the things he does. The Copa Del Rey final I was just watching laughing at how good he was. The assist he made for the third goal was when I sat back and just thought to myself "Nobody else can do that. Nobody."

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #162 on: June 4, 2017, 12:37:47 pm »
Lucky Messi is a big game player then as well then. The biggest game in football is El Clasico. Which Messi has scored more goals in than anyone in history.

The biggest game in European club football is the CL final. Ridiculous to state otherwise.
Two amazing players that have destroyed records.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 4, 2017, 12:39:22 pm »
you don't get a trophy for winning that gameWon more European cups including a back to back and an international trophy whereas Messi failed to do the first with supposedly the best team ever and lost three finals in a row for his country. Plus his numbers in the CL are way above messi's, topped that list 5 years in a row btw, and was second in assists this season this season too.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2470835.html

Right and none of this is an argument that he is better than Messi. Messi won 3 Champions League's in 6 years prior to Madrid's recent run so literally all he's done is close to the gap which was an absolute chasm.

And again, the argument isn't numbers based. It's watching the two play football. Messi is just so far ahead. As I said, Ronaldo is a monster goalscorer. One of the best goalscorers ever. But he isnt as good a footballer as Messi.

If you want to talk numbers though then whatever numbers Ronaldo puts up as records, Messi will break them by the time he is retired.

You want to talk CL wins though as a reason though then why no mention of league titles? How do those compare in the last 5 years? 

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #164 on: June 4, 2017, 12:39:41 pm »
Put it this way: if you asked me to name my dream all time 11 then I'd probably bump Ronaldo for Maradona, Cryuff and Brazilian Ronaldo. Only because the thought of those 3 playing together is stuff of fantasy. On the other hand, If you asked me to pick a player - any player - to build a team around, then it would be Ronaldo all day long. Couldn't be arsed about who and so and so who have silkier skills. His goal record is SO insane that he has to be top of the list IMO

Maradona

Messi Pelé C Ronaldo

Some attack that...  ;D

Thing is though I think Maradona would've had better goalscoring stats had he played in La Liga today. Playing in that ultra-defensive back-pass-a-geddon Serie A of the 80's really hurt his stats.
Linudden.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: June 4, 2017, 12:39:49 pm »
Let's be honest about it, the only reason the argument is still alive and kicking is because he's a former Manc. If he hadn't played for them then I doubt people on these boards would be so dismissive of him. To some, he'll always be a greasy diving showboating manc twat - regardless of what he accomplishes with Madrid.
indeed, had he played for us, or anybody but them instead and done everybody would give him the same credit, only way to even this would be Messi to the mancs, plus Ronaldo has done it in two leagues unlike messi

Plus there's probably a good few who are jealous because their missus finds him more attractive than them ;)

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: June 4, 2017, 12:40:34 pm »
The biggest game in European club football is the CL final. Ridiculous to state otherwise.
Two amazing players that have destroyed records.

I'm talking a guaranteed game between two teams. Not an occasion.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 4, 2017, 12:40:56 pm »
There are a few posters on these boards who tend to label him as shite and overrated, which is absurd. I would love to have a shite player like him at our club.
As for the Ronaldo/Messi-debate: it's getting tedious. Messi is probably better, but I enjoy Ronaldo's style of play more.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 4, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »
Phenomenal player but not somebody I really enjoy watching that much.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #169 on: June 4, 2017, 12:43:44 pm »
:lmao

How? How has he won the argument?

Given what he has now accomplished, I don't think the burden is on Ronaldo to prove himself any further. He has made his case and he has made it phenomenally well.

The burden is now on his detractors to put forth a reasoned and credible argument as to why he doesn't deserve to be considered in the same bracket as Messi. Take his petulance and annoying shithousery out of the equation and the argument doesn't really have a leg to stand on, does it? You need to do a lot of straw clutching to deny Ronaldo his place alongside Messi

Like the c*nt or not, he's right up there
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 4, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
Given what he has now accomplished, I don't think the burden is on Ronaldo to prove himself any further. He has made his case and he has made it phenomenally well.

The burden is now on his detractors to put forth a reasoned and credible argument as to why he doesn't deserve to be considered in the same bracket as Messi. Take his petulance and annoying shithousery out of the equation and the argument doesn't really have a leg to stand on, does it? You need to do a lot of straw clutching to deny Ronaldo his place alongside Messi

Like the c*nt or not, he's right up there

Clutching at straws? Not really.

He's as good a goalscorer as Messi. Nobody has said otherwise. He is a monster in front of goal. One of the absolute best ever.

He clearly isn't as good a footballer as Messi though.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #171 on: June 4, 2017, 12:46:40 pm »
The whole "who is the best player" argument becomes a joke when it descends to number of goals / trophies etc. It's like people seem to think football is just about numbers, stats and pure glory of winning trophies when it should be about the joy of watching amazingly skilled players at the top of their game giving their all and experiencing the ups and the downs which make the fleeting moments of glory more enjoyable.

IMHO, FWIW, Ronaldo is generally more effective / efficient but in my eyes Messi is the more skilled player, at least more enjoyable to watch.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #172 on: June 4, 2017, 12:46:44 pm »
Cant stand him but have to agree he is a better player than Messi.  He is the Maradona of the modern football.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 4, 2017, 12:48:37 pm »
One of the the greatest, but not THE greatest, and not better than Messi.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 4, 2017, 12:49:12 pm »
Cant stand him but have to agree he is a better player than Messi.  He is the Maradona of the modern football.

How? How is he a better player? Genuinely asking. I can't understand how anyone could actually watch them play football and think Ronaldo is even close to Messi never mind better.

Messi is better in every single aspect of the game other than scoring goals. Where they are level.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #175 on: June 4, 2017, 12:54:13 pm »
Clutching at straws? Not really.

He's as good a goalscorer as Messi. Nobody has said otherwise. He is a monster in front of goal. One of the absolute best ever.

He clearly isn't as good a footballer as Messi though.

Messi is undoubtedly the most naturally gifted player of all time

But as I say, if I was given the choice to pick one player to build a team around then it would be Ronaldo, not Messi

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #176 on: June 4, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »

Messi is better in every single aspect of the game other than scoring goals. Where they are level.

See, you can't just trot that out like it's some sort of credible reason to dismiss Ronaldo. It's a bullshit argument lad

The entire objective of the game of football is to score goals. It's not just some "stat"

Scoring goals is what ultimately counts

Everything else is secondary

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 4, 2017, 01:00:01 pm »
How? How is he a better player? Genuinely asking. I can't understand how anyone could actually watch them play football and think Ronaldo is even close to Messi never mind better.

That's it really. Ronaldo as a goalscorer is as good as Messi. Composure, finishing, pace and power - he has the lot. But Messi is by far the better dribbler, the better playmaker, the better creator of chances, the better passer, the better team player, the better set piece taker - the lot. The Ronaldo v Messi debate only exists in the minds of slightly peeved Mancs. Even Madrid supporters seem to agree that Messi is a better player by and large.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 4, 2017, 01:04:49 pm »
That's it really. Ronaldo as a goalscorer is as good as Messi. Composure, finishing, pace and power - he has the lot. But Messi is by far the better dribbler, the better playmaker, the better creator of chances, the better passer, the better team player, the better set piece taker - the lot. The Ronaldo v Messi debate only exists in the minds of slightly peeved Mancs. Even Madrid supporters seem to agree that Messi is a better player by and large.

My sentiments exactly.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 4, 2017, 01:08:30 pm »
Ronaldo is a great goalscorer but he's particularly poor at giving assists, while Messi excels at that, especially in CL.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #180 on: June 4, 2017, 01:15:01 pm »
And Portugal supporters, I had the pleasure of watching with one. Never heard such drivel in my life. The bloke is convinced Ronaldo is going to win them the World Cup next year. I put some money on it... Can't wait to claim it
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 4, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »
See, you can't just trot that out like it's some sort of credible reason to dismiss Ronaldo. It's a bullshit argument lad

The entire objective of the game of football is to score goals. It's not just some "stat"

Why are you making out Messi is Emile Heskey.

You realise Ronaldo has scored 600 goals to Messi' 565. Club football goals Ronaldo has 529 to Messi' 507. Ronaldo has marginally more, since he is older and played more games.

Something that may surprise people is since Ronaldo joined Real Madrid, Messi has actually scored more goals. Messi has 427 in that time to Ronaldo's 406.

For the few more goals Ronaldo has, Messi has alot more assists.

There is really not much in it but the Ronaldo vs Messi narative is sooooo boring. I prefer Messi but Ronaldo is still a gift from the footballing gods, comparing the two is tiresome and fruitless.

Why can't we just acknowledge Ronaldo winning the Euros and CL last season was brilliant and he has brought a la liga and european cup double to Real Madrid for the first time since 1958! The last 4 years he has delivered the honours a footballer of his level really should have to their name.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 01:17:47 pm by ggcc14 »
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Online Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #182 on: June 4, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »
It's just impossible to discuss about Ronaldo without bringing up Messi isn't it?  That alone, while not a clear argument to favour the Portuguese over the Argentine Magician, it goes without saying that he's only comparable to the very best.

He's so good you can only compare him to Messi.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 01:18:06 pm by Sheev-Palpatine »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 4, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »
Won more European cups including a back to back and an international trophy whereas
he hasn't won more European cups, they both have 4?
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 4, 2017, 01:24:19 pm »
Meh!

Ronaldinho was better than both.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 4, 2017, 01:27:52 pm »
Brilliant player. Probably not the best player ever but he probably has turned into the best centre forward of all time. He's come a long way since the flash but ineffectual stepover merchant of his early Man Utd days.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 4, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »
And Portugal supporters, I had the pleasure of watching with one. Never heard such drivel in my life. The bloke is convinced Ronaldo is going to win them the World Cup next year. I put some money on it... Can't wait to claim it

Haha. Recently, we received an email at work through a company-wide mailing list for informal announcements. It was from some Portuguese person delighting in the fact that they won the fucking Eurovision.

Anyway, Ronaldo. Nowhere near close to Messi.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 4, 2017, 01:39:54 pm »
Anyway, Ronaldo. Nowhere near close to Messi.
I love Messi but he is close. 2nd best ever imo.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 4, 2017, 01:42:39 pm »

Care to show where I dismissed it? I said he is a monster at scoring goals. That doesnt make him a better footballer than Messi seeing as Messi can match him goal for goal.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 4, 2017, 01:44:29 pm »
Think Messi is the GOAT but Ronaldo is snapping at his heels

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 4, 2017, 01:45:09 pm »
I think because he's such a loathsome player people hesitate to say he's the best ever. If he keeps this up until retirement then it will be hard to argue he isn't though.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 4, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »
I think because he's such a loathsome player people hesitate to say he's the best ever. If he keeps this up until retirement then it will be hard to argue he isn't though.
Best goal scorer ever maybe. Best player? Nope.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 4, 2017, 01:47:53 pm »
If there was a Mount Rushmore of football, Ronaldo would be on it, as would Messi.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 4, 2017, 01:48:06 pm »
Best goal scorer ever maybe. Best player? Nope.

If his goals won my club as many trophies as his goals have then don't care about anything else personally.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 4, 2017, 01:48:35 pm »
he hasn't won more European cups, they both have 4?

Technically you're right as I believe that by then UEFA had changed the ruling that allows players who didn't play in a final to receive a medal. But I assume the poster you are replying to was referring to Messi not really being involved in the victory, having played a few games early in the tournament but not making an appearance in the later stages. So he's only really contributed to 3 CL titles. 

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 4, 2017, 01:50:07 pm »
If his goals won my club as many trophies as his goals have then don't care about anything else personally.

Maybe that's why for the most part only Madrid and United fans think it is even a conversation with regard to messi vs ronaldo

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 4, 2017, 01:50:42 pm »
To expand on this people think I'm having a laugh or something but  i would take peak Dinho over both.

Meh!

Ronaldinho was better than both.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 4, 2017, 01:52:36 pm »
To expand on this people think I'm having a laugh or something but  i would take peak Dinho over both.

Over Lionel Messi. A man who scored 73 goals in one season?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 4, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »
'

Dinho was more fun to watch than both, but he didn't have the longevity to do what both of these are doing nor was he capable of winning games by himself as much as these two are.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 4, 2017, 01:54:12 pm »
Yep