Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 859960 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #1000 on: November 11, 2011, 12:03:21 am »
1989 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 2-3
John Barnes 32' (Pen) 58'
Att 18,804

A third successive away defeat (2 League, 1 League Cup). John Barnes scored a goal in each half, the first being a penalty-kick. This was easily his most productive spell as a scorer, the strikes against Rangers being the 8th & 9th of a season that would bring him 28 Liverpool goals in all competitions. We drop to 3rd place after this loss. Chelsea go to the top of the table after beating Everton at Goodison Park.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1001 on: November 11, 2011, 12:05:31 am »
1992 Sheffield United (Coca Cola Cup 3erd Round Replay) Anfield 3-0
Steve McManaman 33' 42' Mike Marsh 84' (Pen)
Att 17,854

Steve McManaman was credited with two goals in this League Cup replay. The first was deflected but the second came at the end of a quick-passing move that started with Mike Hooper in goal throwing the ball out to Don Hutchison (from 1 minute 24 seconds on this clip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBOF7HqoMGk). The ball passes quickly from Hutchison to Redknapp to McManaman who checks inside before chipping Alan Kelly brilliantly from 20 yards.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1002 on: November 11, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
1982 Rotherham United (Milk Cup 3rd Round) Anfield 1-0
David Johnson 79'
Att 20,412

Sorry. This can't be right. The 11th of November 1982 was a Thursday and I am absolutely sure there was no Thursday cup football in the early 1980s.

This match took place the previous evening ... Wednesday 10th November ... and Craig Johnston was the scorer not David Johnson. David Johnson did not play in this match. And I know he did not play because ... he was an Everton player when this match took place!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:25:54 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: November 11, 2011, 12:32:26 am »
1982 Rotherham United (Milk Cup 3rd Round) Anfield 1-0
David Johnson 79'
Att 20,412

Sorry. This can't be right. The 11th of November 1982 was a Thursday and I am absolutely sure there was no Thursday cup football in the early 1980s.

This match took place the previous evening ... Wednesday 10th November ... and Craig Johnston was the scorer not David Johnson. David Johnson did not play in this match. And I know he did not play because ... he was an Everton player when this match took place!

The wrong date is shown on page 358 in the recently-published "Liverpool : The Complete Record" book issued by LFCHistory. I have drawn this error to the attention of History's editor. The correct date appears on History's website http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1301.

Kriss innocent. Kriss only proof-read the text of the book. Kriss not proof-read the individual match details ;).

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1004 on: November 11, 2011, 08:31:12 am »
Think they were testing you mate :-)
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1005 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:21 am »
Least We Forget
We Will Remember Them

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #1006 on: November 12, 2011, 12:21:40 am »
Today In History
November 12th

1960 Norwich City (Division Two) Anfield 2-1
Roger Hunt 1' James Harrower 56'
Att 32,473

1966 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 2-0
Ian St John 22' Roger Hunt 65'
Att 36,910

1969 Victoria Setubal (European Fairs Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Estadio Bonfim 0-1
Att 16,000

1974 Middlesbrough (League Cup 4th round) Anfield 0-1
Att 25,573

1977 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 0-2
Att 25,625

1983 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 2-2
Michael Robinson 6' Ian Rush 65'
Att 45,032

1988 Millwall (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Steve Nicol 15'
Att 41,966

2000 Coventry City (Premier League) Anfield 4-1
Gary McAllister 12' Steven Gerrard 50' Emile Heskey 81' 86'
Att 43,701

2002 FC Basle (Champions League Group Stage Match 6) St Jakob Stadium 3-3
Danny Murphy 60' Vladimir Smicer 63' Michael Owen 85'
Att 35,000

2006 Arsenal (Premier League) Emirates Stadium 0-3
Att 60,110

2008 Tottenham Hotspur (Carling Cup 4th round) White Hart Lane 2-4
Damien Plessis 49' Sami Hyypia 63'
Att 33,242

DEBUT GAME
Stephen Darby  (2008)

DEBUT GOAL

Gary McAllister (2000)
Damien Plessis  (2008)

BORN TODAY
Ray Osbourne  R.I.P.(aka shanklyboy)
Very much missed & loved by his fellow posters
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:07:49 am by Rafa_La »
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: November 12, 2011, 12:28:48 am »
"Here are the comments from kriss for this day. He is unavailable and asked me to post this on his behalf".

Ok, here we go for the 12th of November. By the way, unless there is something really important from the dim and distant past, I am usually only looking at matches that took place since I was a match-going supporter or maybe the Shankly and post-Shankly area from 1959 onwards.

12th November 1974 : Liverpool 0 Middlesbrough 1

Another early exit from the Football League Cup we still hadn’t won. Boro’s first win at Anfield since the Second Division days of 1960. Alec Lindsay could have salvaged a draw but saw his second-half penalty saved by Jim Platt.

12th November 1977 : Queens Park Rangers 2 Liverpool 0

We dropped down to 6th place after this defeat in west London. It was our 3rd away defeat of the First Division programme.

Bob Paisley was collared for “This Is Your Life” after the match. The programme was eventually broadcast between Christmas and New Year. I had been in the audience for Bill Shankly’s appearance on the same programme a few years earlier. But I missed out on the chance of watching Paisley’s programme being recorded … and I also missed this match at Loftus Road … because I was having a weekend away in the Cotswolds.

12th November 1983 : Tottenham Hotspur 2 Liverpool 2

For the second successive League match, both Ian Rush and Michael Robinson were on the score-sheet. This would only happen once more in a First Division fixture. This was the third season in which three points were awarded for a win. A few minutes after Rush gave us the lead for the second time, we saw two points disappear when Alan Kennedy brought down Graham Roberts for a penalty which Glenn Hoddle converted.

12th November 1988 : Liverpool 1 Millwall 1

The Londoners’ first visit to Anfield for nearly ninety-three years, which had been an F.A. cup-tie when they were known as Millwall Athletic.

This was one of five home draws in the League during this season. Considering the way the 1988-89 season ended, it is easy (if, perhaps, somewhat unfair) to look at each of those draws (Tottenham, Coventry, Millwall, Wimbledon and Everton) and reflect that if just one of them had brought three points instead of one, then Arsenal would have arrived at Anfield in May with only pride at stake not a championship title. One could also, however, look at matches we won or drew which we might have drawn or lost. That’s why it’s unfair to look at it either way. Results are what they are and we have to accept them as such.

Millwall, however, worked hard for their point after Steve Nicol had quickly equalised Paul Stephenson’s early goal. Their supporters arrived on Merseyside with a fearsome modern reputation, partly because of the way they tried to dismantle Luton’s Kenilworth Road stadium in 1985. Although they filled their allocation, which is what you would expect from a promoted club, I recall that they were noisy and enthusiastic but certainly not intimidating or threatening in any way.

12th November 2000 : Liverpool 4 Coventry City 1

Gary McAllister’s first Liverpool goal and here it is at the start of this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgdYF1SO0cI

Gary Mac’s goal opened the scoring but the best goal of the match came from former Red David Thompson who hit an explosive drive from way out that flew past Sander Westerveld. In the other goal, despite conceding four times, 19-year-old Chris Kirkland gave the sort of performance that persuaded Liverpool to part with six million pounds for his services the following summer. 

12th November 2002 : Basel 3 Liverpool 3

Istanbul was still two and a half years away but we were 3-0 down at half-time in this match too. Having only drawn with Basel at Anfield, we needed a win in Switzerland to go through as Group B runners-up behind Valencia.

Here are brief highlights of an extraordinary game :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGa8bP5lvvo

12th November 2006 : Arsenal 3 Liverpool 0

Our first visit to Arsenal’s new home at the Emirates Stadium brought the sort of defeat we were sadly used to seeing at Highbury in earlier times. Here are the first two goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNlukWQAGw

and here is the third goal by William Gallas :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=R3W2DsWnZL4

We had nine players in our own penalty-area as van Persie’s corner came in yet Gallas was allowed a free header to secure the points.

12th November 2008 : Tottenham Hotspur 4 Liverpool 2

Another unhappy couple of hours in north London on this date! At the same venue where we had surrendered three League points only eleven days earlier, our exit from the League Cup was almost confirmed by the interval, by which time we were already three goals down. Headers from Hyypia and Plessis briefly gave hope of salvaging some pride if not the result but we were well beaten and can have no complaints. On the plus side, youngster Stephen Darby got a few minutes before the end but the overall performances of Messrs. Degen, Ngog, Dossena and El Zhar correctly suggested that they would struggle to see a lot of first-team action for us in the future.

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: November 12, 2011, 10:57:54 am »
Basle game saw houllier infamously say elimination would be a blessing in disguise

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #1009 on: November 12, 2011, 11:19:15 am »
1980 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
David Johnson 28' 80'
Att 26,744

A Tuesday evening match that saw a fairly unusual occurrence, an attendance of less than 30,000 for a home First Division match.

Remember that pretty mundane event for 2 reasons.

There was a beaut stood by me in the Anny Rd end with a big wedge and wearing tennis gear, looked like a right gobshite.
 Also there was a bloke giving Johnson shit all night and when he scored one of his goals he turned to the crowd and gave him some back.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1010 on: November 12, 2011, 12:42:29 pm »
I went to the Millwall game with a couple of mates for my birthday. They didn't want to rush back! In the Basle game wasn't Gerrard hauled off for Diao at half time? The ultimate snub!

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: November 12, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
I went to the Millwall game with a couple of mates for my birthday. They didn't want to rush back! In the Basle game wasn't Gerrard hauled off for Diao at half time? The ultimate snub!

Yep Gerrard was subbed.

Hesky was subbed in the 61th for Baros

Carragher was subbed in the 79th for Diouf
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #1012 on: November 12, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »
Gary Mac debut goal. Not the most important of goals though. I mean scoring in the last minute of a Derby is more special. ;)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: November 12, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »
heres a clip of millwall in 1988 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmyBhJqJCA
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:16:05 pm by HELLRAZOR »

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: November 12, 2011, 11:53:21 pm »
Today In History
November 13th

1965 Northampton Town (Division One) Anfield 5-0
Ian St John 6' Willie Stevenson 17'(Pen) Roger Hunt 32' Ian Callaghan 63' Peter Thompson 65'
Att 41,904

1971 Everton (Division One) Goodison Park 0-1
Att 56,563

1981 Irish Internationals X1(Friendly)Tolka Park 1-0
Craig Johnston
Att Unknown

1982 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Kenny Dalglish 8' Ian Rush 24' 73' 82'
Att 27,870

1996 Charlton Athletic (Coca Cola Cup 3erd round replay) Anfield 4-1
Mark Wright 14' Jamie Redknapp 18' Robbie Fowler 48' 73'
Att 20,714

2004 Crystal Palace (Premier League) Anfield 3-2
Milan Baros 23'(Pen) 45' 90'(Pen)
Att 42,862

2010 Stoke City (Premier League) Anfield 0-2
Att 27,286

TRANSFERS IN
Terry McDermott (1974)                       
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: November 12, 2011, 11:57:16 pm »
Again, a few comments from kriss regarding matches played 13th November. Much appreciated he left the info for us :champ

13th November 1965 : Liverpool 5 Northampton Town 0

The first of only two occasions the two clubs have met in a League fixture. We were 2nd in the table; they were rooted to the bottom of the table destined for an immediate return to Division Two while we were heading for a 7th Division One title. Our home form was impressive this season. We only dropped 6 home points all season and Northampton were one of seventeen visiting teams who left with nothing. This was our second 5-0 home win of the season after thumping Everton seven weeks earlier. Despite the hiding, Northampton goalkeeper Norman Coe gave “a heroic display” according to one report of the time. Our five different scorers included a spot-kick from Willie Stevenson, who had continued to be the team’s first-choice penalty-taker after his calm success in the previous season’s F.A. Cup semi-final.

13th November 1971 : Everton 1 Liverpool 0

A derby winner for David Johnson. Eight seasons later, after a four-year spell with Ipswich Town, Johnson would again score in a Goodison Park derby … but this time for Liverpool.

13th November 1982 : Liverpool 4 Coventry City 0

A second successive League hat-trick for Ian Rush. With Liverpool two goals up, Bruce Grobbelaar made a brilliant save to divert Mark Hateley’s penalty-kick onto the crossbar. After that Rushie continued his phenomenal scoring run, the unfortunate goalkeeper being 17-year-old Perry Suckling, who would return to Anfield seven seasons later and experience an even heavier defeat with Crystal Palace.

13th November 1996 : Liverpool 4 Charlton Athletic 1

A comfortable League Cup replay win that took us through to a home 4th round tie with Arsenal. Robbie Fowler, who had scored in the 1-1 draw at The Valley three weeks earlier, added another two in a competition in which he would continue to score regularly while a Liverpool player.

13th November 2004 : Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 2

The visiting Palace fans graciously broke into spontaneous and genuine applause as soon as the name Emlyn Hughes was mentioned pre-match by the stadium announcer. Two penalties helped to make up the only Liverpool hat-trick for Milan Baros. It was worrying but indicative of our inconsistent form throughout the League programme this season that we twice allowed Palace to equalise. In the last minute Kewell found Baros who was tripped by Popovic. Milan picked himself up and stroked his hat-trick goal just … but only just … out of Kiraly’s reach.

13th November 2010 : Stoke City 2 Liverpool 0

Another dismal performance from a team selected by a manager fast running out of time. If we thought the win at Bolton on the last day of October would see a change in our fortunes ‘on the road’, we were wrong.  A tedious draw at Wigan was quickly followed by this abject surrender at Stoke. This is how Match of the Day viewers saw this latest defeat :

http://www.footytube.com/video/stoke-city-liverpool-nov13-64260

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:06:26 am by Rafa_La »
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: November 13, 2011, 09:59:31 am »
The Stoke defeat wasn't at Anfield. It was though a dismal surrender as we allowed Stoke to bully us into submission.

I remember the Palace fans applauding while the tribute to Emlyn Hughes was being made prior to the silence, a fantastic gesture. The game itself was a real nailbiter. Their 1st goal was a stunning shot just before Kewell restored our lead. Baros was subbed to a standing ovation after converting the late penalty to complete his hat-trick.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: November 13, 2011, 10:03:52 am »
Basle game saw houllier infamously say elimination would be a blessing in disguise

You mean to say his comments weren't taken out of context? Every thing else he said that caused a stir appartently was. Most notably in February 2003 when he was touting himself for the Monaco managers post. Liverpool refused his resignation offer after a 2-1 defeat at Birmingham and suddenly his comments had been taken out of context!!

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #1018 on: November 13, 2011, 10:14:48 am »
The Britannia game was woeful. We were shit and I guess we couldn't prove ourselves in a cold night at Stoke.

Lucas sent off.

Jones scored a scrappy goal, or maybe Fuller... All I know is I want to forget it.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: November 13, 2011, 09:40:10 pm »
You mean to say his comments weren't taken out of context? Every thing else he said that caused a stir appartently was. Most notably in February 2003 when he was touting himself for the Monaco managers post. Liverpool refused his resignation offer after a 2-1 defeat at Birmingham and suddenly his comments had been taken out of context!!
that was the week before the league cup final, he wouldnt have resigned then

as for today i was at that palace game, unfortunately afterwards someone started a rumour ian rush was killed in a car crash

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #1020 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:11 pm »
that basle game was gutting considering we almost made it all the way back
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: November 13, 2011, 10:29:08 pm »
that basle game was gutting considering we almost made it all the way back

I am sure we nearly scored a 4th right at the end, Heskey blocked a goal bound effort or something like that. A mad night

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: November 13, 2011, 10:34:12 pm »
I am sure we nearly scored a 4th right at the end, Heskey blocked a goal bound effort or something like that. A mad night
think he was taken off

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: November 13, 2011, 11:03:08 pm »
Today In History
November14th

1962 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Roger Hunt 52' Ronnie Moran 55'(Pen)
Att 38,452

1964 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Peter Thompson 22' Roger Hunt 68'
Att 40,498

1967 TSV Munich (European Fairs Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Sechzger Stadium 1-2
Ian Callaghan 5'
Att 10,000

1970 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 40,303

1998 Leeds United (Premier League) Anfield 1-3
Robbie Fowler 68'(Pen)
Att 44,305

TRANSFERS OUT
Peter Spiring(1974)

DEBUT MATCH

John Tosack (1970)

BIRTHDAYS TODAY

Avi Cohen (1956-2010)R.I.P.
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:42 pm »
1962 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Roger Hunt 52' Ronnie Moran 55'(Pen)
Att 38,452

A good win against an established First Division club which we of course were not, having only returned to the top division the previous spring after an eight-year absence. This was our 5th win from the opening 8 matches at Anfield. Roger Hunt scored his 7th League goal of the season while Ronnie Moran again showed his reliability from the penalty-spot (this was his fifth success from six attempts).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: November 13, 2011, 11:54:38 pm »
Att 40,498

Forest had a decent team in the mid-Sixties and would finish this season in 5th position, three points and two places above ourselves. Peter Thompson netted his 3rd First Division goal of the campaign and Roger Hunt his 8th. The attendance was nearly 5,000 below the average for a home League match up to that point in the season, 40,498 compared to 45,123.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: November 13, 2011, 11:56:52 pm »
1967 TSV Munich (European Fairs Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Sechzger Stadium 1-2
Ian Callaghan 5'
Att 10,000

This match was played at the small stadium TSV 1860 Munich shared with city neighbours Bayern. Both clubs would then move to the Olympic Stadium after the 1972 summer Olympic Games. This was a surprise defeat to a team we had beaten 8-0 a week earlier, home-and-away scores that would be repeated against Beşiktaş forty seasons later. Ian Callaghan, who had scored the final two goals when we thumped the Germans at Anfield, opened the scoring in Bavaria but despite that early advantage we still managed to lose on the night even though our place in the next round of the European Fairs Cup was never in doubt.

Note : Because the Fairs Cup was not a competition introduced and organised by UEFA, they do not consider matches played in it to be part of a club’s official European record. The Inter Cities Fairs Cup/European Fairs Cup are accepted as the predecessors to the UEFA Cup but, according to UEFA records, this match for Liverpool against the less well-known of the Munich clubs never took place!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: November 13, 2011, 11:58:30 pm »
1970 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 40,303

A forgettable afternoon remembered only for one pre-match moment. Geoff Strong, a Liverpool League champion and F.A. Cup-winner, ran out at the head of the visiting Coventry team and received a thunderous and deserved ovation from all sides of the stadium. Actually, he didn’t run out at the head of his team. He trotted out and had made about twenty yards before he realised that nobody was behind him. The rest of the Coventry team deliberately stayed in the tunnel because they knew what a great servant Strong had been for his former club and so graciously allowed him to receive that tribute on his own.

John Toshack, signed just three days earlier, replaced Phil Boersma from the team that had drawn the previous League match at Derby. At Lime Street station an hour or so after this match, I noticed Toshack waiting for a train, presumably to take him back to south Wales. He kindly signed my match-programme. I know that for a while he was staying in the Lord Nelson hotel right by the station. Railway colleagues of mine who were based in an office that overlooked the hotel told me that they often saw him being dropped off at the hotel after training and that he looked absolutely shattered. I think I read somewhere else that our new acquisition from Cardiff City did struggle with the Melwood training-schedule for a while.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: November 13, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »
Robbie Fowler 68'(Pen)
Att 44,305

Goal action here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAylT4WtrZg. Harry Kewell was involved in the build-up to two of the three Leeds goals, the first being scored by 18-year-old substitute Alan Smith who was making his debut for the Yorkshire club. Although this clip does not show it, I am sure we had another good shout for a penalty. I think the score was still 1-0 at that stage, certainly before Leeds took the lead anyway. Does anyone who was there remember that ?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: November 14, 2011, 12:13:26 am »
TRANSFERS OUT
Peter Spiring(1974)

Signed from Bristol City in March 1973 when he was 22-years-old, Peter never made a first-team appearance for Liverpool and was an unused substitute just twice (at Jeunesse d'Esch in the European Cup in 1973 and at Wembley for the 1974 Charity Shield match with Leeds) before he was sold to Luton Town for slightly more than we had paid Bristol City for him a year earlier. Spiring finally got the regular first-team football he craved at Hereford United where he spent eight years, making over two hundred appearances in all competitions for The Bulls.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: November 14, 2011, 12:30:59 am »

Think there was a free kick near the end that got swung in by Riise maybe. The ball got stuck under Owen's? feet and got cleared away resulting in the throw in seen in the clip above.

I remember watching the first half of this before going to play football myself and recording the 2nd half. Really thought we were going to do it after Owen scored the pen
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: November 14, 2011, 09:22:48 am »
Att 40,498

Forest had a decent team in the mid-Sixties and would finish this season in 5th position, three points and two places above ourselves. Peter Thompson netted his 3rd First Division goal of the campaign and Roger Hunt his 8th. The attendance was nearly 5,000 below the average for a home League match up to that point in the season, 40,498 compared to 45,123.
hard to believe we finished 7th given we won the title in both surrounding seasons.

Robbie Fowler 68'(Pen)
Att 44,305

Goal action here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAylT4WtrZg. Harry Kewell was involved in the build-up to two of the three Leeds goals, the first being scored by 18-year-old substitute Alan Smith who was making his debut for the Yorkshire club. Although this clip does not show it, I am sure we had another good shout for a penalty. I think the score was still 1-0 at that stage, certainly before Leeds took the lead anyway. Does anyone who was there remember that ?
yeah i do remember before one of Leeds goals, the second or third, that david thompson was going nuts for a penalty and david hopkin of leeds squared up to him and he kinda backed down as you would when a toothless jock comes at you.

we were 1-0 up with just 11 mins left. houlliers first game in sole charge

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »
Robbie Fowler 68'(Pen)
Att 44,305

I think I remember us going ahead with a Fowler pen, then we should have had another, not given, and Leeds went up the other end and equalised, then we fell to bits.
I had completely forgotten about this game, we were in terrible form at the time.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1033 on: November 14, 2011, 11:10:37 pm »
I think I remember us going ahead with a Fowler pen, then we should have had another, not given, and Leeds went up the other end and equalised, then we fell to bits.
I had completely forgotten about this game, we were in terrible form at the time.

You are spot on Andy. David Thompson was fouled for what should have been a 2nd penalty. The ref didn't give it though. Whilst Ince led the protests, Leeds didn't hang about as they broke towards the Kop end. Alan Smith, then a 17 year old debutant, scored with his 1st touch after coming on a couple of minutes earlier. Our confidence was so low that the heads then dropped, and 2 late goals from Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (who only had to fart against us and the ball entered the net!!) sealed our fate.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: November 14, 2011, 11:37:03 pm »
The absence of November 14th matches in recent years shows how traditioanl the international breaks have now become. I expect November 15th to be likewise.

For my 1100th post I'd like to start off November 15th with a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in 1987/8 season. John Aldridge headed us into a 1st half lead before Norman Whiteside (I think?) levelled early in the 2nd with a goal which included the most blatant handball you'll ever see in the build up. He'd only been there 12 months, but Ferguson already seemingly had the refs in his pocket!! Wasn't a bad result though at a time when we rarely beat them.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1035 on: November 15, 2011, 12:02:49 am »
15th November 1969 : Liverpool 2 West Ham United 0

Liverpool, honoured in 1964 by being the first host club on the BBC’s “Match of the Day” programme, are again selected as the television world moves from black-and-white into colour. Match action here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dy5wHC-kiQ

20-year-old forward Steve Peplow made his First Division debut. He would only play once more at that level.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1036 on: November 15, 2011, 12:07:55 am »
15th November 3 years ago Bolton 0-2 Liverpool Kuyt 28, Gerrard 72

In the season of our best title challenge since we won it

Remember Grays commentary 'Torres says go on skipper finish the game off' and gerrard says 'with a nod of my head I will' cracked me up at the time, he was always doing those made up 'conversations' between players

http://vimeo.com/2254386

Hasnt got the commentary Im thinking of but here it is

The two games that followed ended up costing us the league. 0-0 with Fulham at home and 0-0 with West Ham at home. Robbie Keane missing one on ones in both
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:12:55 am by rushyman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: November 15, 2011, 12:10:07 am »
I am posting this list for Rafa_La :

Today In History
November 15th

1958 Derby County (Division Two) Baseball Ground 2-3
Albert Mays (Own Goal) 8' Louis Bimpson 33'
Att 16,907

1969 West Ham United (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Chris Lawler 27' Bobby Graham 60'
Att 39,668

1975 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 2-1
Brian Hall 41' Ray Kennedy 88'
Att 39,686

1980 Crystal Palace (Division One) Selhurst Park 2-2
Ray Kennedy 45' Terry McDermott 77'
Att 31,154

1987 Manchester United (Division One) Old Trafford 1-1
John Aldridge 21'
Att 47,106

2008 Bolton Wanderers (Premier League) Reebok Stadium 2-0
Dirk Kuyt 28' Steven Gerrard 73'
Att 24,893

DEBUTS
Steve Peplow (1969)

BIRTHDAYS
Josemi Rey (1977)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: November 15, 2011, 12:11:05 am »
1975 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 2-1
Brian Hall 41' Ray Kennedy 88'
Att 39,686

Our third successive League win and some sort of recompense for the 4-1 hammering we had taken at St. James’ Park in the previous season. Brian Hall scored a Liverpool goal at Newcastle for the second time in the calendar year. Steve Heighway ran Alan Kennedy ragged and Ray Kennedy, settling down well into the new midfield role Bob Paisley had asked him to take on, reverted to his previous role as a forward to tuck away a late winner with Kevin Keegan’s assistance.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: November 15, 2011, 12:11:59 am »
1980 Crystal Palace (Division One) Selhurst Park 2-2
Ray Kennedy 45' Terry McDermott 77'
Att 31,154

We were now getting considerable support at our London matches. I was living in south-east London at the time so this was very local for me. I was sitting towards the back of the Arthur Wait Stand. I remember Ray Kennedy scoring with a header from Kenny Dalglish’s cross on the stroke of half-time into the Holmesdale Road goal to my left. We went 2-1 down (I think one was a penalty conceded by Avi Cohen) but equalised when a cross from the right wasn’t cleared in the home penalty-area and Terry McDermott lashed the loose ball home. Phil Thompson had to be substituted very early on (by Jimmy Case) and would not play for the first team again for nearly two months.