Author Topic: Transfer Round Up Round Table  (Read 21688 times)

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
Re: Transfer Round Up Round Table
« Reply #40 on: September 2, 2011, 11:31:11 am »
Over the moon with the transfer dealings this summer. I'm hesitant to say that we may go for a title fight this year and end up 3rd if things go smoothly.

Downing for me, is seen as the most important signing, a true winger, who can play both flanks and has a great left foot and that much needed pace. For too long, we've lacked someone with great ability and pace to really push us forward. When he settles (gets his first goal) he will be lethal for us. The possibilities he brings to the table are allowing both Luis Suarez and Dirk Kuyt to play striker only, with the former possibly moving to the right hand side (should Gerrard move back into the central attacking berth). For £20million, I believe he'll prove his worth. Confidence is key for this lad.

Charlie Adam arrived somewhat as an underwhelming player when you compare him the the sexy exotic Meireles and Aquilani, from my view. All 3 have vision, a venomous shot, good football intelligence and surprisingly decent pace. Charlie Adam has more grit about his game, he tends to pull the strings and dictate play. He's very strong on the ball and the introduction of Johnson and Gerrard to the squad would see him possibly be more disciplined in his position and play a more "alonso" or "quarterback" role. At the moment, he's clever in picking his runs forward but he is still trying to gel with his team mates too. For £7million he could well be the biggest bargain of our team considering how important he will be to making us tick.

Jose Enrique has already shown what kind of player he is, not afraid of anything, solid/strong and pacey. He is playing in a position where we've had problems in since Stig Bjornebye. Again, a steal at £6million for the quality of left back he is. I just wonder about his overlapping and choosing when to get ahead of his left winger. Either way, the position is sorted, and defensively, he's excellent.

Craig Bellamy, pace, power, good experience and pretty clinical in-front of goal. He's never not found the net at every club he's been to, so he has good pedigree, but most of all, he loves Liverpool Football Club. Free transfer on high wages I believe, he will probably be used as an impact sub to add more urgency and goal threat. With Carroll, Suarez and Kuyt already established strikers, Bellamy will have to fight his way into the starting line-up, could this make him disillusioned? I don't think so, he knows he's probably going to be more involved than he would at Man City.

Jordan Henderson, is he a central midfielder or a right winger? Who cares! He's a quality player, I was his biggest critic on his debut against his old club, but since, he has come on leaps and bounds. He may not look as quick as he is, probably because he's 6ft+. Created lots of chances for Sunderland last year, can he force Kuyt out of the starting line up permanently as a right winger forward? I think he's doing it already. For £16million he is an expensive buy, but he'll be on low wages until he proves himself to be a top class player. He has time on his side, and like Downing, he looks like a confidence player, he'll benefit from the backing of the Kop (as all the players will).

Sebastian Coates, £6million 6ft 6" centre back. I know nothing of him (didn't catch the Copa America), but we needed a commanding centre back in the oppositions penalty area. His arrival will push on players like Danny Wilson and Martin Skrtel (who's position may be the most under threat by Coates arrival). It will be interesting to see him play, I think he has a chance of playing against stoke, and battling against Kenwyne Jones. He could form a devastating partnership with ball playing Daniel Agger. Question marks remain for the young centre back for me, but the hype must die down, let the lad play, help him settle. Small fee, but could be a big player in the future.

Of all of the outs we've seen, we do not know the full details of the wage situation between Aquilani and Meireles. We dont know if some of the loan deals have fee's. What we do know is, the players who have left (possibly bar Pacheco) all wanted to leave or were happy to rot on high/decent wages in the reserves. We've undone the damage that Roy Hodgson did to the team, and got rid of the bloat that Rafa's cautious mind bought with the lack of funds provided by Humpty and Dumpty. It has been an awesome display of skill by Damien Comolli, Kenny Dalglish, Werner and Henry. The telling factors are the fans celebrating the permanent exits of Christian Poulsen, Paul Konchesky, Nabil El Zhar and terminating the lingering glassman Philip Degen, like new transfers.

What we have now is a strong british core, with a touch of Rafa, and it eases our club/country trained quota. Are we special? Are we glamorous? I think we are. We're not a team full of pre-madonna's. We have enough flair in Luiz Suarez, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson. At this moment, our team is well balanced for the competitions we're in. We just need to galvanize on the pitch and enjoy what the lads upstairs have given us and back the team.

I don't think we'll see a massive reshaping of the squad as we have done this window ever again.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: September 2, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
I am not going to go into details about the transfers as I think the club has done wonderfully with the work that was done and I would have absolutely no questions over any of the business.  What I wanted to comment on was the fee paid for Henderson.  We paid £13m plus add ons which will bring it up to £16m for a former Young Player of the Year, with around 70 appearances in the PL, has scored 5-6 league goals for Sunderland, has a high rate of assists, has played for his country and is still only 20 years of age.  A lot of people/pundits/idiots say we have overpiad for him and that he is a big risk.  Arsenal, on the other hand, pay £12m which will rise to £15m, for Chamberlain,   who has never played in the PL, has half the amount of appearances at senior level than Henderson, has never played for his country, and whose greatest achievement was to make the PFA Team of the Year!  No one in the press criticises or questions Arsene for his investment in the future,  no one queries that he has over paid for him, no one turns round and wonders will he flatter to decive for the next 5 years the way Theo Walcott has under the "genius" that is Wenger.

I believe the club has done outstanding business in Henderson and I believe he will be a major player for us for the next 10 years.  He is a grounded lad who knows how good he is but also seems to know that he has a long way to go.  Role on Stoke and the next 3 points!!! 

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 2, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »
I am not going to go into details about the transfers as I think the club has done wonderfully with the work that was done and I would have absolutely no questions over any of the business.  What I wanted to comment on was the fee paid for Henderson.  We paid £13m plus add ons which will bring it up to £16m for a former Young Player of the Year, with around 70 appearances in the PL, has scored 5-6 league goals for Sunderland, has a high rate of assists, has played for his country and is still only 20 years of age.  A lot of people/pundits/idiots say we have overpiad for him and that he is a big risk.  Arsenal, on the other hand, pay £12m which will rise to £15m, for Chamberlain,   who has never played in the PL, has half the amount of appearances at senior level than Henderson, has never played for his country, and whose greatest achievement was to make the PFA Team of the Year!  No one in the press criticises or questions Arsene for his investment in the future,  no one queries that he has over paid for him, no one turns round and wonders will he flatter to decive for the next 5 years the way Theo Walcott has under the "genius" that is Wenger.

I believe the club has done outstanding business in Henderson and I believe he will be a major player for us for the next 10 years.  He is a grounded lad who knows how good he is but also seems to know that he has a long way to go.  Role on Stoke and the next 3 points!!! 
For me by far the best single bit of business done this summer for us. Looks like he could fit into any system due to his footballing brain. His movement has been outstanding so far.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #43 on: September 2, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
Brilliant window on several levels. The owners took a risk in their first summer window by bringing in key recruits and selling later. Thus unlike Arsenal we weren't scrambling for replacements and only added a young, but talented defender (Coates) and a veteran back-up forward (Bellamy) in the last days. Comolli showed his resourcefulness and guile at times, such as waiting until our rivals had made all their main purchases before pursuing Coates or buying Adam before bringing in Downing so Villa wouldn't be able to fund a purchase for a player we wanted.

In terms of outgoing numbers, we've often seen an inability to shift deadwood, which has led to players being still on the books well past their usefulness. That's no more. In that respect I think this window sends a clear message to any player in the team and those who may join in the future: Can't contribute to the first-team? Off. Don't really want to be here? Off. To get rid of some of these players would have been a mean feat. To get rid of so many is astonishing. The wages saved make good reading. People can complain about the compensation paid to get rid of some players, but in terms of money saved long-term those compensation packages will be merely a short-term pain. I think this window was a clear indictment of the Hodgson era. If we count Danny Wilson as a Benitez signing in all but name,  Brad Jones is the only player who was signed 12 months ago under Hodgson who is still here and one wonders if it wasn't for the sensitive issue of his ill son in France, whether he might have been sold too.

The incoming recruits have also been fantastic and have been brought in with the idea of improving the first-team long-term. The left-back position, an area which has been problematic for years given Aurelio's health, looks to be resolved. Enrique will probably be in the Spanish squad soon. He's settled in very quickly and looks to be bargain. Left-wing, an area that has been troublesome since in all honesty probably since Barnes' Achilles injury in the early 90s, other than a few stop-gaps along the way (Riera, Berger), looks also to be mended with the acquisition of Stewart Downing. Stewart isn't the flashiest player, but he has great off-the-ball movement, pace and vision.

There won't be another Alonso, in the same way there won't be another Molby. But Charlie Adam so far seems to have fixed the issue of a central playmaker. Where he plays when Gerrard arrives is up for debate, but he's improved in each game and in terms of raw numbers, he's put up some good ones already: 1 goal, 2 assists in three PL games. And to be fair, he could have had another assist has Carroll's goal stood against Sunderland and another goal had he taken Suarez's penalty. Jordan Henderson and Sebastian Coates long-term could be the picks of the bunch. Coates was great in Copa America and looks to be an absolute snip. He has all of the raw tools necessary to succeed and like Henderson may have to wait a season or two before he fully hits his stride and cements a first-team place. As for Jordan, while many posters in the Henderson thread continually nitpick about his fee and ability, it's clear that he also has several key attributes that could make him into a terrific player. He's improved with every game, looks to be a fantastic long-term purchase and has great awareness, ball retention and movement: a superb young pass and move footballer.

Doni will provide ample back-up for Pepe and as for Bellamy, I wasn't too nonplussed when he left last time and to be honest I wasn't exactly enthralled over his return due to his attitude. Kenny seems to be aiming for creating a great balance and harmony within a team that has been rife with schisms for several seasons. Bellamy could disrupt that, however I am confident that if he understands his role and keeps himself focused, he could be an excellent and versatile back-up attacking player. Also, it's clear he wants to play under Kenny and should give him no grief. He's also a winner.

This summer has provided us with the building blocks to compete for trophies and get back into the CL after a few years of asset stripping and Hodgson purchases all but led to the dismantling of Rafa's 2008/09 squad. We've now got squad players who can step into the first-team. We've acquired the components for a team capable of playing in different formations, styles and approaches depending on the opponent.  We've addressed all our problem areas without sacrificing overall quality. We also have players emerging from the youth system who will be given a chance and can supplement the first-team squad on a regular basis. We're quicker, more physical, taller, better balanced and more resourceful. We have players who are younger with better vision, off-the-ball movement, passing ability and ball retention.

« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 01:04:49 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 2, 2011, 02:49:08 pm »
satisfied with our business but am curious as to why, yet again, we loan out Aquilani  :o with noone ready to commit to buy, we may as well have found him a place in the squad. if hes good enough for ac milan surely hes good enough for us. was impressed with his pre-season to .. oh well.

another window and another smash and grab on roman's wallet. he can buy all our crocks, not fussed there but raul may be one to haunt us.

genrally tho, over tha fuppin moon. bring on the next game!

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #45 on: September 2, 2011, 03:14:22 pm »
Just looking over an old thread and thought it might be interesting to see how many of the broad soccernomic rules we have stuck to so far.

10 simple rules of Soccernomics: http://worldfootballcolumns.com/2011/07/15/the-scouser-report-soccernomics-moneyball-and-liverpools-transfer-policy/

New managers waste money, ergo, limit their say in transfers.

No doubt allot of these players are the work of DC. Kenny gives the nod but I think DC lines em up for the picking or rejection.

Draw opinion from several people from different backgrounds.

Erm?

Avoid stars of recent international tournaments.

Coates seems to go against this one?

Avoid certain nationalities (e.g. Brazilian, Dutch) as they are overpriced.

Uruguayan, not as fancy as Brazil from the looks of it just as effective.

Buy players in their early twenties; older players are overvalued and youngsters aren’t fully developed.

Check.

Sell a player either before buyers see deterioration in his game or when a club offers more than he’s worth.

Raul?

Replace your best players before selling.

Hendo and Adam in before Alberto and Raul head for the exit.

Never buy strikers because they are overpriced; develop them instead.

Needs must in the last window but only taking an older player short term contract on a free suggests this may be the way they are thinking. Sterling?

Buy players with personal problems , then help them deal with their issues.

Bellamy?

Help new players relocate.

Suarez to help Coates. Check.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 03:16:35 pm by bleedsred1978 »
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #46 on: September 2, 2011, 08:03:17 pm »

Avoid stars of recent international tournaments.

Coates seems to go against this one?

Apparently Comolli said he's been following him for a couple of years, so we're not just interested because of the Copa America.

Go on then, lemme get a prediction in for the future while I'm here.

In: James McCarthy and Eden Hazard
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #47 on: September 3, 2011, 12:52:25 am »
Enjoyable thread with a lot of thoughtful posts. I wanted to take a couple days before I put my thoughts down into recorded history over our work this summer because in sheer magnitude alone it was quite astounding. Hats off to FSG, Damien, Kenny, and everyone else at the club because it's clear they worked their tails off the past few months. For me, this summer can't go down as anything other than a roaring success for the following reasons.

1) The wage issue. The work performed in this area has been remarkable and is probably the most important development of the summer in terms of moving the club forward. The amount of money saved via the great cull of 2011 and a handful of sensible signings combined with the two new sponsorship deals place LFC in a position of great strength for the coming years. To have accomplished all of this in less than one year on the job for the likes of FSG and Comolli has been simply outstanding. It is clear they had a plan in place heading into this summer and if they didn't pull it off to perfection, I am guessing they came pretty damn close. To cut wages so significantly while still vastly improving the squad from last season is both a tremendous accomplishment by our present club hierarchy and an abysmal indictment on the state in which they inherited this club.

2) A solid foundation. The squad we have now assembled is one completely lacking of any major holes. It is the perfect platform from which to springboard into the next two seasons and our title push. There is still room for improvement in a few areas, but there is not one area of the pitch where we can now be described as weak. The gaping hole that was our left flank has been beautifully plugged with the acquisitions of Enrique and Downing who have slotted in seamlessly and are both immeasurable upgrades from last year. We now have four CBs all capable of performing at a high level on their day; two in their prime, one on his descent, and one very much on his way up. RB is still probably our strongest position assuming Johnson and Kelly can stay relatively healthy. Midfield is a nice mixture of youth, experience, flair, endeavour, and versatility. Our forward line consists of a good blend of size, pace, trickery, and Kuytian qualities. For the first time in quite a few years when one looks at our bench we will actually see a number of different options to change a game. Not Barca mind, but a ridiculously far cry from Rafa being hamstrung by the tumours or the club being hamstrung by Roy.

3) Versatility. I would argue that, apart from Carroll, this has been the one trait present in each of our attacking purchases since Kenny took over. When we have played well under Kenny it is the one thing which jumps out at me; the movement and interchangeability of our front six. It has been breathtaking at times and it seems clear to me that Kenny is looking to build a side complete with a lot of parts who can seamlessly swap places within the context of a match. I thought Downing, Suarez, and Kuyt embodied this idea to phenomenal effect against Bolton last weekend. Downing drags a fullback here, Suarez replaces him pulling a CB out of position, Kuyt shows to the ball, and suddenly Henderson has one half of an unoccupied pitch into which to steam. I think everyone of our attacking players bar Andy has, to one extent or another, an ability to occupy multiple areas of the pitch with relative comfort. Whether it be Suarez, Henderson, Downing, Adam, or Bellamy it seems to be a valued asset for Kenny's style of football and one which he and Damien are looking to target in particular. And, for the record, I think Andy is very well suited to play with these types of players so it is not a knock against him.

4) Camaraderie. Oft spoken about under Kenny, but I think it has real value and is obviously a thought in everyone's mind in terms of who we bring in and who we ship out. We all see it in the training pictures and goal celebrations and it continues to shine through. I think one of the more underrated aspects of valuing this, however, is the effect it has on our youth development. There is no doubt in my mind that the positive atmosphere in the dressing room has to take a weight off the shoulders of any young lad trying to break through. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for players like Pacheco or Kelly trying to do this with all the bad blood and pressure swirling around the club in previous seasons. Full credit to the likes of Flanagan, Robinson, and Spearing for the successful manner in which they grabbed their opportunities last year, but I can't help but wonder how much easier it must have been for them doing so in a squad that truly seems to get along and have one another's backs. It can't also be a coincidence that so many of our signings from this summer have already slotted in so well. "The most important players at the club are the ones who want to be here." That is more than a cliche or coach-speak to Kenny; he and Damien seem to place a real quantifiable value on it and, thus far, it seems to be very successful. It gives me great encouragement for the likes of Coates, Sterling, and Wisdom who will begin to make their respective presences known in the coming season(s). It's just another reason why I feel we are in such a strong position moving forward.

So, all in all, I can't imagine a much better summer for Liverpool Football Club. Kudos to everyone at the club for their tireless efforts. Have a nice long kip and then get the hell back to work; January's just around the corner.
Justice For The 96

royhendo

« Reply #48 on: September 3, 2011, 07:36:36 am »
Camaraderie is definitely a factor - they're all proper photogenic.

Still some Championship loans to come do you reckon? Wilson is crying out for game time, for example.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 3, 2011, 07:44:42 am »
Camaraderie is definitely a factor - they're all proper photogenic.

Still some Championship loans to come do you reckon? Wilson is crying out for game time, for example.

I'm sure he once played for Everton :)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #50 on: September 3, 2011, 09:09:39 am »

Other than Wilson, who else do you reckon would be suitable to send out on loan Roy? Looking at the squad, the only other one who isn't already out on loan I'd think of would be Shelvey but he's in the NextGen squad. Do agree that Wilson might benefit a lot from going out on loan to a decent Championship team and from his quotes in the guardian a couple of weeks back (link) seems like something will be sorted out for him.

One thing of vague interest which is possibly worth tracking is how the owners have jiggled the finances about to pay for this summer. Is it effectively two years' spending in one window for a push to get back challenging up the table? We won't know definitively for a whiles, obviously, but think the transfer window will have to be judged somewhat against the intentions and resources placed into it.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 3, 2011, 09:36:42 am »

Avoid certain nationalities (e.g. Brazilian, Dutch) as they are overpriced.

A lot of British players in which would seem to go against this, however, Downing and Henderson (£20M and £16M) are the only two that really seem to follow this, Adam for £7M and Bellamy free kind of back the trend.

Either way I think it is a good policy with the younger players, as Brits are less likely to agitate for a move overseas after 2-3 years, as they see the Top English Clubs as the pinnacle of their careers. Spanish and South American players tend to see the Spanish giants as the highest club level they can play for...

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

royhendo

« Reply #52 on: September 3, 2011, 09:48:04 am »
Well, after Skrtel's performance at right back last week, for example, Flanagan could do with bedding in the progress he made last season.

I don't personally think we should look at the Next Gen Series as an end in itself, but as simply a means to bring through those that haven't broken through already.

Shelvey for me is essential now Meireles has gone, and I know you could say the same for Flanagan and Robinson (and maybe even Wilson), but they'd come on more playing a good standard of football every week.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2011, 09:56:39 am by royhendo »

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 3, 2011, 09:52:45 am »
Well, after Skrtel's performance at right back last week, for example, Flanagan could do with bedding in the progress he made last week.

I don't personally think we should look at the Next Gen Series as an end in itself, but as simply a means to bring through those that haven't broken through already.

Shelvey for me is essential now Meireles has gone, and I know you could say the same for Flanagan and Robinson (and maybe even Wilson), but they'd come on more playing a good standard of football every week.
Does Kenny have a history of loaning players out?
Why are you looking past this season?

royhendo

« Reply #54 on: September 3, 2011, 10:01:14 am »
Yes. Aquilani, Cole, Pacheco...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #55 on: September 3, 2011, 10:12:48 am »
Well, after Skrtel's performance at right back last week, for example, Flanagan could do with bedding in the progress he made last season.

Don't feel they're a tad young yet to be sent out on loan? Guess it's a judgement call on whether they'll benefit more fighting for a place in a Championship side or whether they'll be best waiting to develop a bit more under our own staff. Think one proven successful model is to wait til players are on the cusp of hitting 20 before sending them out - sure there's arguments for and against.

Not really fussed about the NextGen itself, but was thinking that if he's on the squad, then Shelvey will unlikely be sent out. To my mind, he's the one who'd really benefit most from regular football of a decent standard again. But can see your point about keeping him as cover though he'll fall further down the pecking order when Gerrard's back and we do have a lot of options in that link role this season.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 3, 2011, 11:18:51 am »

I hope so. It would be good if we could go for some more short term loans. 2-3 months. That would basically add more match experience than we can offer. Wilson, Shelvey and Flanagan are the best suited for it IMO. We need to be able to call on Wilson and Flanagan this season. Shelvey needs games to progress, but he is a little further away from a place in the team.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 3, 2011, 12:21:48 pm »
Always interesting, you are, Gnurglan.

On Aquilani / Meireles, I beg to differ:

1. neither player particularly wanted to stay
2. both will have been on fairly significant wages
3. neither would have been playing regularly
4. aquilani would have been a gamble - he's never done it in the premier league.  yes, he's a talent.  but would he have settled straight back in and been a match winner for us?  would he have done it on the fabled rainy night in December in Stoke?
5. of the two, meireles is the one that is more of a disappointment - he is a very good player.  But at 28, when 12-13m is on the table for a squad player, can you really say no?  Is it worth keeping him in the squad (one, maybe 2 places back from getting in the first team) and prevent the young players from getting an opportunity?

On Pacheco, can you tell me he ever really looked good enough or confident enough to make the break through?  He didn't even look as good as David Ngog.  I think we built him up too much - he's another Le Tallec.  Maybe that highlights problems with the way we bring overseas youngsters through...he was such a highly rated talent when he signed.  But wasn't it telling that Norwich didn't move heaven and earth to re-sign him on loan?  Wasn't it telling that he never really looked like breaking into the first team squad?  Successive managers have not gone for him - including Dalglish who knows the youngsters at the club very well, and we know KK is a good judge of talent.

Bellamy offers something very different to Pacheco - versatility, pace, attitude.  And it's not as though he was our 1st choice - we went for Wickham earlier in the summer.

Pacheco has gone because he isn't good enough.  Bellamy was signed because he is, and he was free.  I really think it's as simple as that.

scottishRED! Where have you been hiding?

Problem is, Pacheco hasn't gone. Yet. I wouldn't mind if we had sold him. What annoys me is our reluctance to get him involved, combined with our reluctance to sell him. We can't make up our minds, so we leave the decision to someone else. Atletico Madrid are willing to take a chance on him.
We on the other hand turned our attention to Wickham and were willing to spend significant money on him. When we then pulled out of the deal, we turned to Bellamy. Pacheco? We have no interest in him and he has no future at LFC. Sell? No. Can't see how it makes sense. This loan is a waste of time.

Age could have been a factor to sell Meireles, but I think we're OK there in CM. Only Gerrard is on the old side. Keeping a 28-year old is not a problem. The mix rather suggests that we need a Meireles. Wages is another factor, but I thought Meireles was promised a better deal by the previous regime and FSG were not willing to accept it. We could quite easily have given him a pay increase based on last season. 12M, when he has at least 3 more seasons in him, in his prime, is not a lot. We made a good deal last season. Chelsea now made an even better one as Raul is proven in the PL.

Was Meireles worth keeping? IMO definitely. Aquilani is more of a doubt. Just think the squad would have been stronger with at least one of them still at the club.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

royhendo

« Reply #58 on: September 3, 2011, 12:38:25 pm »
One thing that's interesting is that, with the 'purge' of those associated with past glories/ignominies at the club, you can sense a wee bit of calm - a slowing of the collective pulse - related to us lot (the fans, as represented online). Could it be we're adjusting to a new period of stability and trust on that front?

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #59 on: September 3, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »
One thing that's interesting is that, with the 'purge' of those associated with past glories/ignominies at the club, you can sense a wee bit of calm - a slowing of the collective pulse - related to us lot (the fans, as represented online). Could it be we're adjusting to a new period of stability and trust on that front?
nah you are just feeling that because you are no longer moderating 100+ pages of transfer garbage a day.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #60 on: September 3, 2011, 04:20:41 pm »
Our forward line consists of a good blend of size, pace, trickery, and Kuytian qualities.
Great read that mate.....love how you managed to encapsulate everything that Kuyt does in one word lol...makes him sound like an alien, and with those sort of batteries he might well be  ;D if you don't mind I will steal that word for future posts!

On the camaraderie front I think one word does it for me...smiles....smiles all round for everyone...they're infectious and I reckon KK brought a bag full of them with him  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

royhendo

« Reply #61 on: September 3, 2011, 06:34:44 pm »
nah you are just feeling that because you are no longer moderating 100+ pages of transfer garbage a day.

I dunno - bar the odd blert, the reaction to, for example, Meireles going, was pretty relaxed, bar a few hours of angst. People seem to have bought into what they're trying to do, no?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 3, 2011, 08:50:47 pm »
I don't understand the polarity over Meireles going. I don't particularly care about his reasons because as a Liverpool fan it won't be good enough. He came during our darkest period but was lucky enough to be there when we were on the up and was lucky enough not to be considered completely surplus to requirements.

As a professional you'd expect him to want to rise to the challenge but I guess he saw it as a 50-50 *cough*. He went to Chelsea, a side that's on the way down in the short term and for a manager who had no problem selling him straight away. I heard a lot about his apparently poor fitness levels and if true then at 29 it's as good as it'll get. He wasn't disrespectful or a disgrace so neither does he deserve any abuse. He just left, we're going to benefit more out of it than him so *shrugs*.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 3, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »
I don't understand the polarity over Meireles going. I don't particularly care about his reasons because as a Liverpool fan it won't be good enough. He came during our darkest period but was lucky enough to be there when we were on the up and was lucky enough not to be considered completely surplus to requirements.

As a professional you'd expect him to want to rise to the challenge but I guess he saw it as a 50-50 *cough*. He went to Chelsea, a side that's on the way down in the short term and for a manager who had no problem selling him straight away. I heard a lot about his apparently poor fitness levels and if true then at 29 it's as good as it'll get. He wasn't disrespectful or a disgrace so neither does he deserve any abuse. He just left, we're going to benefit more out of it than him so *shrugs*.
I was an advocate of him staying, hopefully I won't be able to highlight my reasons during the season, because if I do it means people like SG, Suarez and Bellamy aren't getting the best out of Andy Carroll when Raul may have. That's just the way I foresaw it SMD. The 11.30 transfer request was a shocker to the nation and although I posted only 10 minutes earlier that I'm glad he's staying it wasn't a shock to me. I don't know (yet) whether Kenny decided early on he wasn't in his plans or whether Raul decided that on the arrival of AVB to the PL, in London and for a rich club that his comfort-zone, big-time life style was more important than being appreciated as a footballer and perhaps winning something.

I know for a fact that he made the wrong choice, as a footballer he should have begged Kenny not to exercise his managerial choice to sell him.

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #64 on: September 4, 2011, 12:31:14 am »
So whos Next on the list, other than hazard
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: September 4, 2011, 08:27:52 am »
The window's been a huge success for us, I feel. 

Off-course, with emphasis being on the transfer activity, it's been very exciting, as the management seems to have addressed all the areas that needed addressing (problem areas LB, CB to and extent and wings). Basically, we now have the foundations in place to 'compete'. Something we haven't been able to do in the past few years under the previous regime. It was always uncertainty, will we-wont we, can we-cant we type of thing in the previous few years. Uncertainty is a part of the game, but was mostly about the negative things for us.

Which brings me nicely to my next point, as to why FSG's first summer window's been good. Planning, and ruthless execution.

The mere fact that the management had a 'plan' in place, as to how to address the shortcomings of the squad, in the areas that really required them, is a good thing. It hasn't been scatter gun like previous years, where we just buy players, followed by planning how we'll play them. (Eg: Uncle Owl and Raul Meireles) We now have a concrete plan, as to how our team will function, and then, we go out and buy EXACTLY what we require.

We havent gone gung-ho even with all the money we've had. A typical example is Aguero and City owners. (Arabs are generally all gung-ho and scatter gun, less of the planning types, they like others to do the thinking and execution for them, still holding the last word though - Known from the experience of living among them since 25 years and now working with them) It's more of 'have money, will buy' kind of thing for them. Aguero available, money available, buy. That seemed like the thought process, and I think that's how most of their dealings work. Point here being, even when clubs have money, they can mess it up massively.

FSG have been wise, knowing where to spend the money that's available. Money spent wisely, to put it in a nut-shell. Top it off with hiring of people who are experts in their areas of operation, and are thorough professionals.

All the while, maintaining a positive relationship with all external parties to the club (media, fans, supporters groups etc)

And to achieve all this, within a relatively short-time span, is very impressive.

What's impressed me most about this window has been that how such a short time of planning has come to fruition with great results for us (i.e the transfer window) Off the pitch, we're beginning to look like a well-oiled machine.

How this translates to on-pitch success in the coming years, and what we win, remains to be seen.

« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 08:30:30 am by kapil08 »
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 4, 2011, 01:32:09 pm »
So whos Next on the list, other than hazard

Next on whose list? Our list? The club's list?

Whose list is Hazard on?

I think the best thing about this window is that most fans don't seem to be saying "right, well this is fine but we really need to get someone in at [position] in January." This is a refreshing situation, as previously we'd always have perceived weaknesses, be it width going forward or simply a lack of cover in certain areas. Whatever's people's views over the strength of the squad - and I include non-Liverpool types in this - the prevailing opinion seems to be that it is well balanced, something that has not always been the case.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 01:34:34 pm by SalisburyRed »

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #67 on: September 4, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »
Next on whose list? Our list? The club's list?

Whose list is Hazard on?

I think the best thing about this window is that most fans don't seem to be saying "right, well this is fine but we really need to get someone in at [position] in January." This is a refreshing situation, as previously we'd always have perceived weaknesses, be it width going forward or simply a lack of cover in certain areas. Whatever's people's views over the strength of the squad - and I include non-Liverpool types in this - the prevailing opinion seems to be that it is well balanced, something that has not always been the case.
I meant in general what is next for the club in whoever answers opinion, for instance for me a new stadium/expanded Anfield, Eden Hazard and either a replacement for Andy Carroll or an uptick in his quality would be the steps taken this year to secure a 4th place finish and long term success. The ultimate goal is a championship, how can we get there without doing a City? Also i disagree with the we need a player here, still think we are weak in attack, that's not saying that i think the transfer window was a dud or anything short of excellent though.

Gaston Ramirez.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #68 on: September 4, 2011, 03:07:12 pm »
I dunno - bar the odd blert, the reaction to, for example, Meireles going, was pretty relaxed, bar a few hours of angst. People seem to have bought into what they're trying to do, no?
good point
though that may be because last year lowered our expectations so much, so that now that we actually spent some money its a huge relief :P

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 4, 2011, 03:16:52 pm »
You want to replace Andy Carroll six months into his Liverpool career and years before he hits his peak?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #70 on: September 5, 2011, 12:51:38 am »
You want to replace Andy Carroll six months into his Liverpool career and years before he hits his peak?
I want him to improve or be replaced in the starting xi yes. The team so far has played better without him, so if that doesn't change i can't see a reason to keep him as a starter.

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: September 5, 2011, 06:55:19 am »
I want him to improve or be replaced in the starting xi yes. The team so far has played better without him, so if that doesn't change i can't see a reason to keep him as a starter.

I think it's fair to say that Kenny must surely see something in him we cant. Plus, imho, Carroll would thrive had all the spotlight been on him and him only. He did that at Newcastle. Was their main man. Here, there's plenty more quality in the line-up. He's got to earn his place week in week out. He'll take some getting used-to to this kind of set-up, I feel.

That said, I also think that under Kenny, players who aren't performing will be benched. No more 'reputation' based selections.

Just my 2 pence though.
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #72 on: September 5, 2011, 02:18:43 pm »
I think it's fair to say that Kenny must surely see something in him we cant. Plus, imho, Carroll would thrive had all the spotlight been on him and him only. He did that at Newcastle. Was their main man. Here, there's plenty more quality in the line-up. He's got to earn his place week in week out. He'll take some getting used-to to this kind of set-up, I feel.

That said, I also think that under Kenny, players who aren't performing will be benched. No more 'reputation' based selections.

Just my 2 pence though.
That's pretty much what I am hoping for. However these reports of his drinking problem aren't good. Also match fitness is an issue.

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #73 on: September 5, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »
the bolton game came at a good time.  if kenny's/comolli's/fsg's transfer policy was a political ideology, the bolton game was a perfect piece of propaganda for it.  in a fixture where we'd struggled with systems and personnel the previous season, this time round we had chance creators creating chances for each other throughout.

over the weekend i've been reading "why england lose" by simon kuper and stefan szymanski, in one chapter of which they list the ways of gaming the transfer market employed by clough/taylor and lyon.  what struck me was how the description of the rules and inefficiencies to be exploited could easily be referring to liverpool's transfer activity this summer.

all the highs and lows, the whos and whys and in-the-knows, the sagas and distracting matas of the window can be boiled down to this: we now have a young squad that is very well equipped to score goals, win football matches, challenge on multiple fronts, develop youngsters, save money, and make money.  to enact that kind of turnaround in eight months is nothing short of remarkable.

the loss of raul was not in itself a major concern, although it does highlight the ever present worry of squad depth (which is the same for all teams bar city).  it's a shame he went to chelsea, and more of a shame we didn't wring more out of them after a successful first season in the prem.

personal disappointments were losing insua and aquilani, but really my concern was to mitigate against the ineptitude of roy/cecil last summer.  the fact that the new management talked to them, put them through their paces and still decided to let them go makes me a little happier.

we are still without meaningful cover for lucas, and really we need a fowler/owen/hernandez type finisher to complete the squad.  but other than that, a good summer's work for all concerned.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #74 on: September 5, 2011, 04:35:20 pm »
That's pretty much what I am hoping for. However these reports of his drinking problem aren't good. Also match fitness is an issue.

Reports from whom?
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 5, 2011, 04:37:19 pm »
Fabio "trolling England is my full time job" Capello.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #76 on: September 5, 2011, 05:13:36 pm »
Fabio "trolling England is my full time job" Capello.
Do you really find it that far fetched?

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 5, 2011, 05:20:36 pm »
While I applaud the shipping out of so many unwanted players  and the vitality it gives to the club - that must have come at a cost - the transfer fee's written off, the contracts bought out - you have to suspect that would amount to well over 10 mil. A legacy of the previous regime. The only real outstanding issue being the 18 mil we still owe in wages to Joe Cole. The same Cole deal that was lorded last summer and had the board in a meltdown of joy, where anybody suggesting it might not be that great was shot down in flames. 12 months later...

If Henderson doesn't fulfill his potential, if Coates bombs, if Adam gives the ball away too often and Doni can't step up, if Downing gets injured and Enrique fails to handle the pressure, if Carroll fails to find his form and Suarez burns himself out - and we finish 6th - how will we view fsg in 12 months time?

can the decisions they've made be judged objectively now? or can they only really be judged on the evidence of how they've performed in which case they will always be a hostage to fortune.

For the record I think they've bought safely, we haven't taken any great risks on potential but have gone for the most part with players with good track records (Downing, Adam, Enrique, Bellamy, even Henderson has a season plus) all tried and tested in the Prem - the only real gamble is Coates. I like what they've done. I think it gives Kenny the chance to build a side bigger than the sum of its parts - that compliment each others abilities because they recognise their own weaknesses - a team rather than a collection of superstars but the risk is we have a good team with good players rather than a great team.

We've unloaded players who contributed little last year - the sheer volume is impressive, can't say I particularly disagree with any of the personnel which have left, including Raul and Aquilani (neither wanted to be here) but I dont think we've made anything like the savings being talked about - I'd think 5 mil a year max.

The new structure of the squad is intriguing - it looks as though we've genuinely structured for the future allowing young players a place in the squad and a real chance of playing and progressing into the first team - again whilst I applaud that - its risky - not all the young players will develop - they wont all be up to the job - they'll have poor spells, defenders will cost us goals, strikers will miss chances - so at the same time as we applaud the decision we have to be prepared to live with the consequences - I'm not sure that will be the case when things go wrong - easy to get behind the squad when we haven't lost a game - not so simple if City turn us over three nil - if its the correct decision to give the kids a chance now - its still the case in 9 months regardless of how things pan out.

Having said that I still expect the likes of Eccleston, Amoo, and Mendy to go out on loan -Wilson too maybe if he's 5th choice - the fact it wasn't to teh prem though suggests those lads futures dont rest at LFC -  I'd also hope the best of the rest get some first team experience somewhere - Wisdom, Coady, Adorjan just to see if they can step up again. Sterling I think requires a personal plan the lads as precocious as Fowler, Owen and Gerrard ever where and it'll be a test of our new set up to see how they manage him.

Finally I think we've looked after our own business very well but its also clear we are not playing to the same rules as City and Chelsea - they have made no attempt at staying inside the rules except their very obvious accountancy tricks - if those go unchecked then however clever our management are they'll be fighting with one hand tied behind their back - we'll hit the same type of ceiling as mid table clubs there being only so much which can be achieved.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 5, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »
Do you really find it that far fetched?

I find Capello's opinion increasingly irrelevant.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 5, 2011, 07:16:49 pm »
Been waiting for the dust to settle and see the end picture... anyone who isn't chuffed with that, must be off their head.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/