Author Topic: Shove fourth  (Read 79570 times)

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
Re: Shove fourth
« Reply #800 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15:11 pm »
Neither of them is anywhere the level required in order to replace van der Saar, C. Ronaldo, Giggs or Vidic. They spend much, but not on top quality. (like us)

They're good young talent that will eventually become regular first teamers, I hate the Mancs but they've spent wisely this past transfer window. I used to think that the Glazers would ruin them too but I've given up on that. I don't think we've spent on top quality either.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Anthony Le Pongolle

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #801 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15:15 pm »
Some of the shit on here is unreal. The league's more open than it has been in recent years resulting in the weaker teams taking points off the big boys on a more regular basis. Everyone said that Man United were unstoppable a few games ago and now look at them. Man City WILL dip at some point, just as we will enjoy a purple patch at some point. The important thing is that we're still in amongst it - a few wins on the bounce could see us right up there again. When you think that we were in the relegation zone at this stage last year and still managed to comfortably finish sixth it suddenly dawns that there's a hell of a long way to go.  People are criticising individuals but if the players had buried just a few of the numerous chances we created against Norwich everyone would be saying what a brilliant team performance it was. It'll come good....still 3/4s of the season to go.
In that case, I'd play Meireles, Lucas and Poulsen. Spearing would get absolutely marmalised by Yaya Toure. At least Poulsen can kick him.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »
our squad is not good enough for top 4

Compared to Arsenal I wouldn´t say so, we are pretty level there and don´t have to play CL. Compared to Tottenham we have a better manager and coach, Redknapp is very one dimensional.

I wouldn´t say that both are considerably better in terms of squad and overall development of the football side of things.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »
Yeah but you've picked out the the two games out of fifteen in which he's scored for us. I know he's been injured so that's not a very fair statistic, but it's fair to say his chance conversion rate isn't great. To be considered a decent finisher there needs to be variety and I don't see that with Carroll. It's either get your head down and put your foot through it or a header. I've yet to see him attempt to place it into the corner or dink it over the keeper. Compare that to the likes of Owen, Fowler and Torres who could score all different types of goals and I still don't think the guy can be described a 'finisher'.

To me a good finisher can tuck the ball away with either foot and head, which Carroll has demonstrated being able to do. He's young and can only get better.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: October 23, 2011, 06:19:45 pm »
They're good young talent that will eventually become regular first teamers, I hate the Mancs but they've spent wisely this past transfer window. I used to think that the Glazers would ruin them too but I've given up on that. I don't think we've spent on top quality either.

They didn´t spend on top quality and their "future" players are far from being ready as all of them aren´t as talented as C.Ronaldo f.e. You could clearly see that in their games so far, too inconsistent.. Basel, Norwich, City..

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #805 on: October 23, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
Spurs looking really good for 4th. Cant say we deserve it anyway.

Not even a third of the way through the season.

I'll go one better - we're not quite a quarter of the way into the season yet.

Its building, and in my opinion, we hammered them 1-1 - we will improve, creating chances like that we've got only ourselves to blame, but not many will have the luck Norwich had with the woodwork, or the goalkeeping of the quality Ruddy showed, or a ref who seemed to determined not to give Suarez a single free-kick (wonder why that was...)

'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #806 on: October 23, 2011, 06:23:23 pm »
to be honest I'm more worried bout Spurs than Arsenal.
to be honest I'm convinced they will both finish above us. And if Newcastle as well finish above us, you are looking at 3 consecutive seasons of abject failure.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »
They didn´t spend on top quality and their "future" players are far from being ready as all of them aren´t as talented as C.Ronaldo f.e. You could clearly see that in their games so far, too inconsistent.. Basel, Norwich, City..

Definitely, but back to your original point, United clearly have the money when we all thought they would go the way of Hicks and Gillette. Our own splash on proven Prem talent like Adam and Downing hasn't looked too bright either.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: October 23, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »
to be honest I'm convinced they will both finish above us. And if Newcastle as well finish above us, you are looking at 3 consecutive seasons of abject failure.

Think you should not visit this thread until March.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: October 23, 2011, 06:31:41 pm »
We simply didn't spend our money wisely and i said it at the time to much apprehension from fellowfans who seemed to be just happy with the fact that we were spending big for once. Newcastle did what we should have in practice done and with less money to, the likes of Hoillet and Cabaye would have cost us a snip compared to the players we did end up buying. Also to let go of both Aquilani and Merieles was a silly decision, and to be honest regardless of all the talk about them wanting to leave, if we we wanted to keep them we simply would have, i feel our management deemed them surplus to requirements and hence was not bothered at all in them going. Its decisions like that which could spoil our chances of finishing 4th, looking around our squad, i don't think its much better than the one that Kenny inherited at the back of last season and that is sad since we have gone on to spend 75 million since then.

Still think we will get better though, but finishing 4th may be too big of a step for us.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: October 23, 2011, 06:36:05 pm »
We have spent good money and perhaps not all the players we have bought have worked out, but that is not an issue to apportion blame.  Mistakes are made and we can't undo the damage overnight.  Are we doing better than Rafa's final season that saw us finish sixth?  I'd say we're on a rough par at the moment; perhaps slightly better.  At this rate though it isn't going to be enough.

We will almost certainly have to spend again in January.  It's been a chronic problem at the club for years that we need about 20 shots for every goal and it simply isn't good enough.  Too many clubs fancy their chances against us.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: October 23, 2011, 06:43:22 pm »
We will almost certainly have to spend again in January. It's been a chronic problem at the club for years that we need about 20 shots for every goal and it simply isn't good enough.  Too many clubs fancy their chances against us.

True, but I wonder if there won't be a few raised eyebrows around FSG, so soon after they broke the club transfer record twice and authorised a heavy outlay not six months ago.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #812 on: October 23, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
Cant disagree,after what we've been doing.7th isnt out of question ATM.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #813 on: October 23, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »
True, but I wonder if there won't be a few raised eyebrows around FSG, so soon after they broke the club transfer record twice and authorised a heavy outlay not six months ago.
But our net spend isnt more than 38-40m if Im right.Not a huge amount considering what Chelsea and City spent.Also United spent 50m.
We need a top playmaker/attacking 3rd player in January.Dare I say it,someone of the Silva mould.Who can lay it on a platter for our other players who dont seem to be able to finish chances.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: October 23, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »
we do not have the centrebacks to finish fourth, like we did not last year. they are crap.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »
We need to change our mentality. Whenever teams get on top of us in the game we seem to just give up as if expecting to concede a goal. The difference between us and the teams obove us at the moment is self belief. Even Newcastle seem to have more confidence than us at he moment. It's just the start of the season but I'm reminded of us under Evans. 
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:33 pm »
we do not have the centrebacks to finish fourth, like we did not last year. they are crap.

we have 3 that are good enough, sadly the one who is undroppable would struggle to get into any other top 10 team, never mind top 4

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:54 pm »
But our net spend isnt more than 38-40m if Im right.Not a huge amount considering what Chelsea and City spent.Also United spent 50m.
We need a top playmaker/attacking 3rd player in January.Dare I say it,someone of the Silva mould.Who can lay it on a platter for our other players who dont seem to be able to finish chances.

But it is a huge amount considering what we earn without Champions league and to spend big on a playmaker, attacking midfielder after getting rid of both Meireles and Aquilani...well...

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: October 23, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »
we have 3 that are good enough, sadly the one who is undroppable would struggle to get into any other top 10 team, never mind top 4
true, still while he plays we are not going to improve, and averageness seems acceptable now.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #819 on: October 23, 2011, 06:49:57 pm »
Did anyone watch the fucking game? I can't believe the negativity on here. we would have hammered most sides playing like that. Its the NINTH game of the season, we're clearly a work in progress. Fucking instant gratification generation or are we all just fucking amnesiacs? Nobody, Manchester City included get instant success - even when spending money - and proportionally we've spent far, far less than any teams who have been turned around by Billionaires.

Had we won yesterday in the last minute, everyone here would have been praising the knocking down on the door until we did it. We were massively superior and of course have some work to do. But Christ Almighty, did none of you watch us versus Wolves last year?

'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #820 on: October 23, 2011, 06:50:46 pm »
But it is a huge amount considering what we earn without Champions league and to spend big on a playmaker, attacking midfielder after getting rid of both Meireles and Aquilani...well...
Well,Raul was supposed to be staying.He suddenly went,and we saved that money.Add 7-8m more,and we could get one really good player.Think we could just about afford that in January.To propel us.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #821 on: October 23, 2011, 06:51:15 pm »
Did anyone watch the fucking game? I can't believe the negativity on here. we would have hammered most sides playing like that. Its the NINTH game of the season, we're clearly a work in progress. Fucking instant gratification generation or are we all just fucking amnesiacs? Nobody, Manchester City included get instant success - even when spending money - and proportionally we've spent far, far less than any teams who have been turned around by Billionaires.

Had we won yesterday in the last minute, everyone here would have been praising the knocking down on the door until we did it. We were massively superior and of course have some work to do. But Christ Almighty, did none of you watch us versus Wolves last year?

Wasting your time mate , fully agree.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: October 23, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
true, still while he plays we are not going to improve, and averageness seems acceptable now.
indeed, but he's a legend so we cant criticise, just accept

Offline The_Last_Don

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: October 23, 2011, 06:54:56 pm »
cant believe some of the comments on here.  I cannot remember the amount of openinings lfc have created in the first nine games of any season - with a young team comes inexperience and lack of composure, that will change more and more as the team plays together.

Our 1st eleven has gone through some fundemental changes over the last year, shit can't happen over night.  As a fan i feel really optimistic in achieving fourth but more importantly where our future is heading!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: October 23, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »
Well,Raul was supposed to be staying.He suddenly went,and we saved that money.Add 7-8m more,and we could get one really good player.Think we could just about afford that in January.To propel us.

We could, but it's never going to happen.
That player would have to compete with Stevie for his place and considering how slow we are to allow honest competition for positions against club icons.. I just don't see it happening. Mire likely that Shelvey will be brought back. Won't buy a striker either, it would undermine Carroll's status.
What we need more then new players in order to start climbing towards fourth is less alibi players and more grit and readiness to stand up and be counted.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: October 23, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »
indeed, but he's a legend so we cant criticise, just accept

Let's get Lawrenson and Hansen back in the back four then.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: October 23, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »
Too much negativity on here ... we played well against Norwich but were wasteful and a bit unlucky up front. With the likes of Henderson, Carroll, Kelly, Coates, Lucas, etc, we will only keep improving. All I see is a bright future, but sadly too many people these days take football so seriously that they go all suicidal like the world has ended if we don't win. If you are at this point, I say take a little bit of time to reflect as it's really not good for your health if you don't have a sense of perspective.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #827 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »
cant believe some of the comments on here.  I cannot remember the amount of openinings lfc have created in the first nine games of any season - with a young team comes inexperience and lack of composure, that will change more and more as the team plays together.

Our 1st eleven has gone through some fundemental changes over the last year, shit can't happen over night.  As a fan i feel really optimistic in achieving fourth but more importantly where our future is heading!

Exactly mate , think of some of the football we played last season before Kenny came in , its a different world.We are talking width of the post and keepers making brilliant saves which are denying us the wins.Nobody will be working harder than Kenny in training to try and get us more clinical in front of goal.

We are right in the hunt for 4th , if we keep creating chances then we will start and put them away , the fact we are creating gives room for optimism.

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #828 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »

Spot on mate, i really enjoyed the game y/day, thought we played come crackin football, as you rightly say we are a work in progress, which is still in its infancy and i for one am well happy the way things are going, patience is all thats needed.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: October 23, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »

If you want to compare other teams then look what Spurs and Arsenal have spent? Arsenals so called 'crisis' doesnt look like one anymore considering theyre only two points behind us.

We can give all the cash to Kenny, but he needs to spend wisely.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #830 on: October 23, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »

Well said that man.

The mood swings we get here are too extreme sometimes.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #831 on: October 23, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
To put things into perspective we have 15 points from 9 games if we continue that form over the course of the season we will end up with 63 points. The exact number of points that Benitez achieved in his last injury ravaged disaster of a season that resulted in 7th place.

We should of been looking to take advantage of the rest of the teams competing for the top 4 playing in Europe. We have failed to do that and the group stages of the Champions League are drawing to a conclusion.

We need to start holding onto leads or the confidence will start to ebb away.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #832 on: October 23, 2011, 08:24:54 pm »
'convinced' based on what? I'm sick of saying it but just a bit of luck and things will click and those back to back wins will happen very soon.

Come back with that statement in April and I'll hold my hands up in abject shame, and please just forget about Newcastle. That's a non starter, 'marathon not a sprint' springs to mind.
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

Offline southendkopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #833 on: October 23, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

The annoying thing is, we have a perfect playmaker in a certain Italian on loan at AC Milan but he was deemed to be surplus to requirements by our manager.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:33 pm »

People listen to this please here is a person who is talking much sense!

I have been saying for ages we wont win every game we WILL lose some games we should win but we will also win some we should lose. We are a work in progress and from last season we are definately making that progress. Sometimes it will be slow (like goal scoring) sometimes it will be quick (like chance making) sometimes we will appear to be stood still (like defence). The management and coaching team will know where the problems lie and will work very hard to sort them out. If anyone thinks we are a worse team now than when Roy was in charge last season they really should be watching come dancing or summat instead!
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #835 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:36 pm »

I love that line, it makes me fucking chortle like a loon every time I see it. I put it in a little box alongside 'final piece of the jigsaw' and '5 year plan'.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: October 23, 2011, 08:47:23 pm »
If we keep playing football like yesderday i will be delighted.
mines a pint

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #837 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »
The annoying thing is, we have a perfect playmaker in a certain Italian on loan at AC Milan but he was deemed to be surplus to requirements by our manager.
No he didn't wanted to be here. If he was 100% committed to the club, Kenny would've kept him, but he wasn't, he didn't want to be here, he wanted to go back to Italy. No point in keeping an unhappy player.
As for some people thinking we won't get 4th already, your all just a joke. Last year we where down the bottom, and ended up not that far of 4th. We've got a stronger squad now, Arsenal's squad is weaker, and Spurs is pretty much the same. Although with some of the temperament in their squad, they could implode at anytime, but they are certainly are biggest rival for 4th,
As for Newcastle, no way. Every year you get one unexpected team up there, who fade away. Newcastle have had the easiest start to the season out of the all the teams at the top. In November and the 1st week of Dec, they play Everton, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea. If there still in the top 6 then, I'll hold my hands up and say there in with a chance, but I can't see it.
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #838 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:54 pm »
our squad is not good enough for top 4
Based on what evidence?

Because from what I've seen we could be top 3. We are good enough there's no doubting that we just need to finish the chances we're creating. I know it's all ifs and buts "but if we'd a just won yesterdays easy game we would have been 3 points behind utd and we'd all have been talking about title contenders or top 4 at worst.

It's frustrating but over the course of the season we will be making tottenham and arsenal work for the CL place.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
Spurs use to go out and buy British and realised they wont get anywhere. Best ones are hard to come by and we ended up paying way over the top for average players. Like its been pointed out, our best signings have been the foreign players. Spurs were buying British once and getting no where.

We had Maxi on the bench who imo (pretty much a fact too) is miles better than both Hendo and Adam but is yet to start a game.

And taking Bellamy off for Hendo made us weaker, especially when we had two woeful players in Downing and Kuyt still on the pitch.