Author Topic: Phrases that people get wrong  (Read 26132 times)

Offline Ghost of Xmas Futureville

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor!
  • Believer
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Phrases that people get wrong
« Reply #440 on: October 3, 2019, 07:14:27 AM »
Oh gawd! ::)

In my previous posts I've already accepted that language changes. Agree?
Yes you did. Sorry if it seems I was ignoring that. I can get carried away with this stuff, which is my bread and butter. You're lucky I didn't provide [more of] a disquisition ;)

And if you want to use examples of the past continuous tense, for the love of God, please use them correctly.

"The past continuous tense, also known as the past progressive tense, refers to a continuing action or state that was happening at some point in the past. The past continuous tense is formed by combining the past tense of to be (i.e., was/were) with the verb’s present participle (-ing word)."

Source: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/past-continuous-tense/
Relax; obviously it wasn't clear that I was ribbing you. Your initial complaint seemed to be that people are using 'sat' when they mean 'sitting'; ie using 'sat' in the past continuous tense. At least that's how I understood it - and in that regard you are correct; people are doing so, increasingly, and in the three ways I outlined (which for linguists is highly interesting, especially 2 and 3 which indicate changed usage to fill a need). Then in your last post you said 'sat' will forever be past tense, and as 'past tense' is a header term that includes past continuous among others - and you didn't specify the simple past/preterite - I gently wondered what your complaint was... you want past, you got past, still not happy?...no offence intended.

(I probably won't bother replying if you respond, if that's ok!)
It's cool. People will be sick of the exchange by now anyway. This isn't a thread about language per se. Time to get back to phrases people get wrong...
« Last Edit: October 3, 2019, 07:16:36 AM by Ghost Town »
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Online Office Party Drunken Barney Fistfight

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #441 on: October 3, 2019, 07:23:58 AM »
I was sat the other day reading the exchange between Ghost Town and Mark Walters and I've no clue what they're on about.

Online JC the Messiah

• Believer
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #442 on: October 3, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
Like "bath" instead of "bathe". Not written in this case but spoken. "I'm going to bath the kids". No, you're going to BATHE the kids.  Another very British misuse.

Bath is also a verb in British English.
"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005         

"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Ghost of Xmas Futureville

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor!
  • Believer
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #443 on: October 3, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
Bath is also a verb in British English.
Yes you're right, it is. I missed that earlier
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Online Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #444 on: October 3, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »
I was sat the other day reading the exchange between Ghost Town and Mark Walters and I've no clue what they're on about.
Ha!  :P
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline petergriffin age 73 ho freakin ho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #445 on: October 3, 2019, 10:21:39 AM »
Telly is how it is spelt, though. "Tele" is not.

"Fridge" and the "frig" sound in "refrigerator" are the same sound.

Grown ups don't say "tellyvision".

Different sound, different spelling.

I mean, people can write whatever they like, but if they don't want to make me puke then they should just show a little bit of reason and do exactly what I want.  ;)

I know, I was agreeing with you (in a roundabout way)!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Office Party Drunken Barney Fistfight

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #446 on: October 3, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
Telly is how it is spelt, though. "Tele" is not.

You clearly never walked through the streets of Belfast in the 80s or 90s and bought the Sixth Late

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
    • @hartejack
« Reply #447 on: October 3, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
Saw "morealess" written in a work email earlier today - a new one on me!

Offline idontknow

• i_know_use's_for_apostrophes',,_see
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #448 on: October 13, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
Telly is just the slang short form though, it doesn't have to be correctly spelt. Otherwise we'd be having to write 'frig' for 'refrigerator' and that would just be weird! ;D
Smeg for a refrigerator isn't wierd!!??
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthreadw.php?t=2084026

Offline idontknow

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #449 on: October 13, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »
Yes I see your point but it's a simplistic one, and not correct.

Grammar is nowhere near as simple and clear-cut as you make out because it is not, and has never been, planned, mapped out or organised. It has, and continues to, come about organically.

You're right that 'I was slept on the bed' is incorrect, but 'I was sat at the table' is not incorrect. It is, arguably, an example of non-standard usage (though not for much longer), but - and this is one of the most important things to remember about language, grammar and usage: non-standard does NOT mean incorrect, and what is deemed correct today was often non-standard, or even incorrect, in the past.

It is also used to impart certain nuances that are not there with 'sitting', particularly when the act of sitting has been enforced by another, or begrudgingly carried out.
'I was slept on the bed' obviously is incorrect, but as soon as we've heard it, it only takes a little bit of playing, asong, a catchphrase, and it could comfortably meme into a phrase.

Something I read in the 90s, an American syndicated columnist on speaking, words, was asked about the past participle of 'to bring'. 'Brought', they replied, 'brung'. Not 'brang'? Ha ha, nope, not 'brang'. Someone sent in some Neil Diamond lyrics, 'The song she sang to me, the song she brang to me.' Wrong,wrong,but a couple of months later the columnist found themselves using it in conversation..

I apologise/apologize for being unable to remember who it was, or where I read it, and I can't think how to google/ Google/ Duckduckgo it.

But our language develops accidentally, in my opinion, and we only account for rules later, by which time we've moved on.

Good thread. :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline idontknow

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #450 on: October 13, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »

It's spreading!

:o

Now I need to get back to pisspronuniciating my worms...
The spillchukka is allus rite