Author Topic: Moneyball, Soccernomics and Liverpool's transfer policy  (Read 79548 times)

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Moneyball, Soccernomics and Liverpool's transfer policy
« Reply #320 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:43 pm »
I find it hard anyway can argue our squad is better then it was at the end of G+H era, it plainly isn't.  The management need to take some responsibility and we as fans should not try and sugar over this fact.
It is a crime we spent what effectively was our highest transfer budget since the premier league started on several players who actually weakened our first 11.
I  am willing to give MB a fair try - after all as someone already mentioned Rafa's early signings n his first year where MB signings (Garcia Alonso. Masch), but only when we focus on players from all leagues and thus a larger talent pool

I'd ask you to try harder then Rouge.

LB Konchesky - Enrique
CM Meireles - Henderson
STR Torres (circa 2010) - Suarez
STR Ngog - Carroll
CB Soto - Coates
LM Jovanovic - Downing
CM Aquilani(L) - Adam
AM/STR Babel - Bellamy
DM Poulsen (L) ? (Spearing?)
AM Cole (L) ? (Shelvey?)

Highest summer transfer budget?  are you including january ?

I think we've improved the age  profile, balance, wage bill and overall quality myself. In particular we dont have any 'dead wood' - I'd expect to be able to sell any of our current players rather than have to pay them to leave for example. I think you are underestimating the mess we were in under H&G having not invested in the squad for 2 years Hodgson and the work Dalglish has done with the help of the owners in turning us around.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: February 18, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
I don't see the point in magnanimity, especially based in the assumption that any player who doesn't want to be here can go. Purslow was an idiot when he said Benitez wouldn't be allowed to sign any players from Liverpool. This precluded the possibility of a bidding war between Inter and Barcelona, and thus reduced the amount of money we'd get for Mascherano (who we actually sold for less than we bought him for). Precluding the possibility of Aquilani staying by saying anyone who wants out can go, is on the same level of stupidity as Purslow's announcement on Mascherano, and for the same reason. Aquilani still had 3 years with us, and if we insisted on him staying unless we got a good offer, Milan would be forced to put up a good offer if they wanted him. Instead, we said he could go to whoever will have him, and Milan took him for a price that we wouldn't get Cattermole for.

no argument from me
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
  • Being a reds fan is like match day, everyday.
« Reply #322 on: February 18, 2012, 05:51:35 pm »
When United spent double what we were spending in the mid eighties on transfers and paid players the biggest wages in the Country were they gambling with the clubs future or did they do it knowing full well that they had the potential fan base to make it work. That is where we are now we are at a cross roads we either invest in our future both in terms of a new stadium and quality recruitments on the pitch or we try and get back to the top on the cheap.

Fenway bought the Club at well under it's market value because of the circumstances and for me have plenty of room to invest and still get a return. The problem is when you buy £60k a week footballers when your competitors are buying £150k- 250k a week players, when you talk about refurbing Anfield instead of building a stadium the equal of the Emirates or old Trafford and when you shift a commercial director into the CEO seat you are pretty much condemning yourself to mediocrity.

Fenway have got their hands on one of the Worlds greatest sporting institutions with an almost limitless potential and the sooner they realise it and start treating it as such instead of making do and mend the better. Players smell the stench of a Club making do at a hundred paces and if we want to keep hold of our best players and start improving the squad we need to start competing at the top end of the market.

It's all very well recruiting young talent but if you are not prepared to pay them the going rate when they prove themselves then you just become another Arsenal polishing diamonds and then having them snatched from your grasp with the winning line in sight.

As for having £20-30m to spend Fenway have been here for three windows and have spent £35m nett which is a little under £12m a window a sum offset by the reduction in wages. We have haemorrhaged World class talent for fun over the last three years and the way to address that is not by buying 2nd or 3rd tier British players and paying them 60k a week.

Thanks for the £35m nett spend info. exactly what Ive suspected. For me Ive thought it further in terms of the end game and it pains me to say FSG couldnt hide that much longer and that they are the same as H & G. that they are here just to make the club look good and then hopefully sell on to a rich arab billionaire o r the likes and make a tidy profit. Just not as nasty, obvious or arrogant as H & G but equally the same.

I've always questioned the motive of Americans who don't understand the game. there is no personal gratification if you dont love the game. be it a fan or a billionaire so the only reason is for the thrill of leverage. In fact, we may never know as it could be the banks have secretly co broke with FSG and still waiting for a dumb billionaire to buy us out. We have become a high class prostitute looking for a happy ending.   
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #323 on: February 18, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »
Thanks for the £35m nett spend info. exactly what Ive suspected. For me Ive thought it further in terms of the end game and it pains me to say FSG couldnt hide that much longer and that they are the same as H & G. that they are here just to make the club look good and then hopefully sell on to a rich arab billionaire o r the likes and make a tidy profit. Just not as nasty, obvious or arrogant as H & G but equally the same.

I've always questioned the motive of Americans who don't understand the game. there is no personal gratification if you dont love the game. be it a fan or a billionaire so the only reason is for the thrill of leverage. In fact, we may never know as it could be the banks have secretly co broke with FSG and still waiting for a dumb billionaire to buy us out. We have become a high class prostitute looking for a happy ending.   

I don't see Fenway as having some Machiavellian plan to leverage the Club or to look to sell it on for a massive profit. I just see that as safe staid owners who want  to try and grow the brand and the Club organically without risking their own cash. I see them as someone who doesn't want to deficit spend and wants a safe stable investment with a bit of sport thrown in for good measure.

I just don't see them having the balls or the drive to take the tough decisions and take the educated gambles that will get us back to the top. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »
I don't see Fenway as having some Machiavellian plan to leverage the Club or to look to sell it on for a massive profit. I just see that as safe staid owners who want  to try and grow the brand and the Club organically without risking their own cash. I see them as someone who doesn't want to deficit spend and wants a safe stable investment with a bit of sport thrown in for good measure.

I just don't see them having the balls or the drive to take the tough decisions and take the educated gambles that will get us back to the top.

but the thing is thats not what Fenway project initially. And to claim 4th is a target at kenny's first year reign without proper backing just doesnt make sense. They are not footballing people, so its not wise to project something they know nuts about, especially when only a £35m nett outlay was given. Seriosuly that is a pathetic outlay. admit it. why would FSG go through all that trouble to buy us knowing that we were in the shits just so to be safe owners? How safe can they be if they themselves know nothing about football. that doesnt sound logical to me. something just doesnt add up. The challenge is too great for them even if it's just to make steady progress.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:09:11 pm by Dmode101 »
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline claff1

• Boys Pen
« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »
In my opinion we shoud admit to ourselves that we bought somewhere between badly and very badly last summer and we should also stop excusing and excluding dalglish from the culability of this. Between dalglish and comoli they got it wrong, very wrong. And all this talk about henderson is for the future, or carroll will come good is nonsence. They may very well come good in the future but at the money we spent on them we needed them to hit the ground running. Note i leave downing out altogether as I think he is just a lost cause, no heart, no bottle -> no future. I think enrique is an improvement on konchelsky but not top drawer, not as good a aurelio at his best. The only player we bought in the that really improved us was suarez and it remains to be seen if he will ever add profilic goal scoring to the rest of his brilliant creative  play. Look at what spurs brought in last year, 3 singings and each of them improved the team.

I have been a supporter since 74 and as a result to me dalglish deserves all the credit and adulation he gets and will always be a hero of mine whatever happens in the future but this does not nor should not mean we ignore what was plainly a very wastefull
 spending spree and most probably year (assuming we dont qualify for the chqmpions league). I really want us to win a cup competition but we will have a far greater chance to attract top quality players if we are in the champions league so if we miss out
on this then this year will be a failure for me regardless of the cups.

One other thing, when people list the improvement on last years squad as evidence that we are moving in the right direction i completly disagree as we bought so badly in roys year that to just look for an improvement on that squad is not setting our sights high enough particularly when you consider the money we sent.

And dont accuse me of not being patient etc.etc. We are waiting for 20 years for a league win and while i never expected us to win the league this year the least i expected was to see a team heading in the right direction and building some momemtum. I also expected us to get into a champions league position and it is more fustrating now that we are not and look like missing out on this considering arsenal and chelsea are so poor and utd still have a very average team that consistently punches above its weight.

I really hope im proved wrong with what i have see so far this year i think we are a top 6 or 7 team at best for the next few years.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: February 18, 2012, 06:13:53 pm »

stuff - no disrespect just for brevity

We'll have to agree to disgree because your way is the way of Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Notts Forest, Bradford et al.

where was the majority of that huge fan base when for the lack of 30m a year debt payment the club was being plunged into bankruptcy by H&G? The same 30m you'd want to spunk on a quality player and take a 'risk'?

You appear to want FSG to lavish money on the club, their money, their risk  on your idea because somehow taking a risk is the thing to do - taking a risk is exactly that - when the risk comes to be you have to pay the cost - risk taking is easy,  living with the consequences isn't.

H&G took a risk that the economic climate was such that they could leverage up the value of the club and then sell it without spending a bean of their own money - they came unstuck but they took a risk - are we supposed to be grateful for that because Benitez's last two years were castrated by the risks they took in their first 2 years?

the club needs to grow and it needs to do so in a sustainable way - that will not mean we cannot buy quality players - it means we wont recklessly buy quality players - that we'll understand the consequeces of what we do and why we spend - your way is a hit and miss one roll takes all gamble - it smacks of desperation, now now, now - we are in this for the long term aren't we - or do we do a Portsmouth - one moment of glory, a Rangers (how big is their fan base?) I ain't having it.

Offline csgreen

• Going through RAWK like a dose of Verucca Salts
  • Anny Roader
  • Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red.
« Reply #328 on: February 18, 2012, 06:18:41 pm »
Someone on another forum I frequent works as a statistician/analyst/whatever you'd call them for an MLS team posted a few interesting things about what they do, and I figured I'd just post it here since it could help people understand a bit more about "soccernomics" or whatever you want to call it:

"No, % of passes completed is a trash stat. Almost everything available in the public domain is a trash stat."
"Every single event that happens on the field has a specific, unknown (right now) value. We're trying to figure out those values. Our goal is to eventually include every single field even as inputs, whereas right now, it's just goals and cards, essentially. From this, we can have some sort of objective, if imperfect, evaluation of a player."
"I guess I should explain why passing % if a bad stat. It's essentially equivalent to batting average in baseball. You know at what frequency a successful event happens, but you don't know what value that successful event has, or if it should be considered 'successful' at all. It's the equivalent of having 4 quarters and 3 dimes and telling people you have 7 coins, rather than saying that you have $1.30"

Pretty interesting IMO, and goes to show we really have no idea what Comolli and the rest of our scouts look at statistically.

I'm not sure that does justice to how difficult a statistical problem football is compared to baseball.  As the individual above notes, the goal of the whole approach is to relate specific events to the probability of the team winning. 

In baseball:
1) it's easy to divide the game up into events because there are actually discrete "plays" - i.e. each pitch is a discrete event
2) further, it's easy to make a list of reasonably "equivalent" events - e.g. all at-bats with the same number of outs and the same number of men on base - all of these events start in the same place and then the actions of the player determine the state of the game at the end of the event
3) it's possible to code the action of the player independent of what the actual result was in terms of hits/outs (i.e. you can code an at-bat as "line drive to left/center/right; ground ball to left/center/right; fly ball to left/center/right) which is useful because you'd prefer a player who hits a lot of balls hard but has gotten unlucky in terms of hitting them right at people than a player who has gotten lucky to have a lot of ground balls go through the infield for hits
4) a batter's success is *somewhat* independent of the actions of his teammates - not 100% true because runners on base can alter an at-bat quite a bit, but you can control for those situations without much trouble (there are a maximum of three runners on base and they can only do a very limited number of things themselves to affect play)
5) there are a relatively small number of teams and tons of games (162 a season) - players all play against one another, making the statistics roughly equivalent
6) and I could go on for sometime

Compared to football:
1) there are no discrete "plays" - everything is a continuous flow - meaning that to do any statistics, you have to figure out how to divide the game up into discrete events all of which are going to be somewhat poor (each pass?  - what if a player dribbles all the way down the pitch - that's a lot of game time that goes unaccounted for by an 'each pass' scheme; each dribble?  well, that divides the game up into so many chunks it's impossible to code; etc ) 
2) it's hard to create a class of equivalent events.  For instance, events don't ever start in the same place.  Every pass isn't made from the same location with teammates and opposing players in more or less the same place, etc.
3) the space of things that players can do is much larger - particularly when you consider things players can do off the ball.
4) the success of a player does depend highly on his teammates.  how many times have we seen really great passes...if only a teammate had made the proper run.  Does the player who made the pass get positive credit for that pass despite the fact it ended up as a loss of possession?  How do you code what the player who should have made the run did? 
5) there are a somewhat small number of games and many many leagues and leagues - so in many cases you're comparing statistics for two players that were computed against totally different opponents with no overlap whatsoever - i.e. Ligue 1 versus Eredivisie
6) etc

So my take is that although it'd be dumb to totally ignore what statistical approaches can tell us about players, the way football works makes it a totally different beast than baseball, so it would also be dumb to think that because it's a "statistical approach" it's inherently better than trusting the instincts of people who have been around the game... 

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #329 on: February 18, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
We'll have to agree to disgree because your way is the way of Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Notts Forest, Bradford et al.

where was the majority of that huge fan base when for the lack of 30m a year debt payment the club was being plunged into bankruptcy by H&G? The same 30m you'd want to spunk on a quality player and take a 'risk'?

You appear to want FSG to lavish money on the club, their money, their risk  on your idea because somehow taking a risk is the thing to do - taking a risk is exactly that - when the risk comes to be you have to pay the cost - risk taking is easy,  living with the consequences isn't.

H&G took a risk that the economic climate was such that they could leverage up the value of the club and then sell it without spending a bean of their own money - they came unstuck but they took a risk - are we supposed to be grateful for that because Benitez's last two years were castrated by the risks they took in their first 2 years?

the club needs to grow and it needs to do so in a sustainable way - that will not mean we cannot buy quality players - it means we wont recklessly buy quality players - that we'll understand the consequeces of what we do and why we spend - your way is a hit and miss one roll takes all gamble - it smacks of desperation, now now, now - we are in this for the long term aren't we - or do we do a Portsmouth - one moment of glory, a Rangers (how big is their fan base?) I ain't having it.

I am sorry but you are wrong. Football is a competitive sport. Words like sustainable and reckless is just double speak. In the midst of old men in a forum we have seen it all. Its plain and simple. the game has changed and now its a billionaire playing field. If you can't take the heat don't pretend you are challenging. theres no way we are going to win anything at the financial outlay.

Arsenal is the perfect case in point - once that young player hits his prime what happens? He stays and fight for the club? or he leaves because someone offers him a better salary? I know which he will choose. So if you can't solve this issue, which will come head banging on your face as sure as the sun rising from the east. Don't pretend that such a model is "sustainable". In fact, with a huge fan base club like liverpool, i think a witch hunt mark 2 against the owners is more likely because we know a global club like ours can generate more deals and money for the transfer dealings to compete. Currently we are not challenging enough and thats why we are regressing with the likes of adam and downing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:28:59 pm by Dmode101 »

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #330 on: February 18, 2012, 06:58:38 pm »
I'd ask you to try harder then Rouge.

LB Konchesky - Enrique
CM Meireles - Henderson
STR Torres (circa 2010) - Suarez
STR Ngog - Carroll
CB Soto - Coates
LM Jovanovic - Downing
CM Aquilani(L) - Adam
AM/STR Babel - Bellamy
DM Poulsen (L) ? (Spearing?)
AM Cole (L) ? (Shelvey?)

Highest summer transfer budget?  are you including january ?

I think we've improved the age  profile, balance, wage bill and overall quality myself. In particular we dont have any 'dead wood' - I'd expect to be able to sell any of our current players rather than have to pay them to leave for example. I think you are underestimating the mess we were in under H&G having not invested in the squad for 2 years Hodgson and the work Dalglish has done with the help of the owners in turning us around.

You just picked the worse players from the squad, how about Aqua, Meireles, Babel, Insua even Pacheco.  Five players which in my opinion would be a improvement on our current squad.
We got rid of many players which were not Liverpool standard, but we replaced them with players (or should I say midfielders) who are not up to par - it is as simple as that.  This year this league is poor, none of the top teams (outside Spurs) have played well, imo if we had kept the starting 11 from end of last season and added Aqua and Insua we would be much higher up the league

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #331 on: February 18, 2012, 07:13:17 pm »

I am not asking FSG to gamble with the future of the Club and to follow an unsustainable business model. I also agree that the Clubs needs to be grown in a sustainable way. The problem is the Club has suffered from years of underachievement and for me needs a short term cash injection to get it back on it's feet. Let's cut to the chase the money that has been spent during FSG's reign has come from the money that was being spent in interest payments to the banks, the reduction in the wage bill and the Standard Chartered sponsorship money.

FSG remind me of a cautious poker player who plays the percentages rarely backs his judgement and turns a small consistent profit. the players who win big know the percentages as well as the cautious player but crucially backs his judgement and becomes a formidable opponent.

Do we want Liverpool to be a cautious Club who becomes this decades Villa under deadly Doug Ellis or do we want the Club to take calculated gambles the way United did when they invested in transfers, wages and crucially their Stadium and became a financial monster.

We took those very calculated gambles not so long ago when we attracted the likes of Alonso, Torres and Mascherano to the Club we desperately need to remember the adage you buy cheap you buy twice and start bringing in top talent not journeymen like Adam and Downing. If that means in the short term that Fenway stick their hands in their pockets then so be it.

You only have to look at the way United have paid off the truly incredible debt that the Glazers dumped on them to see it is a bit of a no brainer to speculate to accumulate. Back to the Poker comparison if a player only bet what he had earned when he landed a massive hand then he would be a coward and an idiot. Make mistake LFC is that potentially massive hand that has landed in Fenway's lap and they need the guts and the wherewithal to exploit it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:31 pm »
I am sorry but you are wrong. Football is a competitive sport. Words like sustainable and reckless is just double speak. In the midst of old men in a forum we have seen it all. Its plain and simple. the game has changed and now its a billionaire playing field. If you can't take the heat don't pretend you are challenging. theres no way we are going to win anything at the financial outlay.

Arsenal is the perfect case in point - once that young player hits his prime what happens? He stays and fight for the club? or he leaves because someone offers him a better salary? I know which he will choose. So if you can't solve this issue, which will come head banging on your face as sure as the sun rising from the east. Don't pretend that such a model is "sustainable". In fact, with a huge fan base club like liverpool, i think a witch hunt mark 2 against the owners is more likely because we know a global club like ours can generate more deals and money for the transfer dealings to compete. Currently we are not challenging enough and thats why we are regressing with the likes of adam and downing.

I believe the fans of Portsmouth and Leeds thoroughly understand the words reckless and unsustainable. They understand the now now now mentality, short term fixes and impatient fans who know no better.

If it truly is just a plutocracy as you describe then there is no point. LFC should never be a billionaires play thing - to suggest it needs to be to compete is a very sad indictment of not only the times but of you. Personally I'd rather play in the championship and retain our integrity than sell out and pander to that type of mentality but perhaps thats just me.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: February 18, 2012, 07:41:21 pm »
You just picked the worse players from the squad, how about Aqua, Meireles, Babel, Insua even Pacheco.  Five players which in my opinion would be a improvement on our current squad.
We got rid of many players which were not Liverpool standard, but we replaced them with players (or should I say midfielders) who are not up to par - it is as simple as that.  This year this league is poor, none of the top teams (outside Spurs) have played well, imo if we had kept the starting 11 from end of last season and added Aqua and Insua we would be much higher up the league

erm no - I've picked all the major transferred players in and out? including 3 of the  players you've listed?

Pacheco and Insua can't even get games for the teams they are at let alone for us thats why I didn't include them I thought it would weaken your case. I didn't include Darby or Ayala, Mavinga, El Zhar, Bruna, Ince, Irwin or Chamberlain either for the same reason.

we had to pay teams to take the likes of Poulsen, Cole, Jovanovic, take a hit on Konchesky and Babel just to get rid because nobody else wanted them or valued them anywhere near the price we paid or the wages we had them on. last summer was an excercise in trying to repair the damage of the previous 2 years.

You're entitled to your opinion. I dont think the market or the majority would agree with you though.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: February 18, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »
I am not asking FSG to gamble with the future of the Club and to follow an unsustainable business model. I also agree that the Clubs needs to be grown in a sustainable way. The problem is the Club has suffered from years of underachievement and for me needs a short term cash injection to get it back on it's feet. Let's cut to the chase the money that has been spent during FSG's reign has come from the money that was being spent in interest payments to the banks, the reduction in the wage bill and the Standard Chartered sponsorship money.

FSG remind me of a cautious poker player who plays the percentages rarely backs his judgement and turns a small consistent profit. the players who win big know the percentages as well as the cautious player but crucially backs his judgement and becomes a formidable opponent.

Do we want Liverpool to be a cautious Club who becomes this decades Villa under deadly Doug Ellis or do we want the Club to take calculated gambles the way United did when they invested in transfers, wages and crucially their Stadium and became a financial monster.

We took those very calculated gambles not so long ago when we attracted the likes of Alonso, Torres and Mascherano to the Club we desperately need to remember the adage you buy cheap you buy twice and start bringing in top talent not journeymen like Adam and Downing. If that means in the short term that Fenway stick their hands in their pockets then so be it.

You only have to look at the way United have paid off the truly incredible debt that the Glazers dumped on them to see it is a bit of a no brainer to speculate to accumulate. Back to the Poker comparison if a player only bet what he had earned when he landed a massive hand then he would be a coward and an idiot. Make mistake LFC is that potentially massive hand that has landed in Fenway's lap and they need the guts and the wherewithal to exploit it.

I think United are screwed in the next couple of years they have an unsustainable model they are getting by on luck , reputation and Ferguson's politics.

we did spend large sums this summer though - the player selections did not pan out as well - 10 mil for Alonso wasn't massive, Mascherano we had on loan initially, the more relevant question is did we buy the right players rather than are we willing to spend what we need to buy the right players - 20m for Downing is not a small bet, neither was 16m for Henderson - thats the type of money you could expect to pay for the required quality - the situation on wages was unclear becaue of the legacy they were dealing with - but its a bit harsh to then say they are playing it like doug ellis .City are paying extraordinary wages because they have to otherwise top players would not have entertained going there - if that means thats now the going rate for top players then we need to accept we are not in that ball game - we can not afford to spend more than the club can afford they can - if we are not successful then we go under they just write it off - the risk for us is far greater than City or Chelsea - United I've already said the situation for United -
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:01:39 pm by Vulmea »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:04 pm »
I believe the fans of Portsmouth and Leeds thoroughly understand the words reckless and unsustainable. They understand the now now now mentality, short term fixes and impatient fans who know no better.

If it truly is just a plutocracy as you describe then there is no point. LFC should never be a billionaires play thing - to suggest it needs to be to compete is a very sad indictment of not only the times but of you. Personally I'd rather play in the championship and retain our integrity than sell out and pander to that type of mentality but perhaps thats just me.

The. Sustainable business model is located 35 miles up the East Lancs. They didn't gamble with the clubs future or act recklessly.  They took a long term view and invested heavily in their business.

They didn't hum and har over investing in transfers, wages and their stadium and have reaped the rewards. For only investing what you earning at present is short sighted and shows an alarming lack of confidence.

I don't want a City like spending spree just a commitment and an intent to bring in players of a higher quality than we already have something that hasn't happened. To build a squad you keep your best players and get shut of your worst not swap players for players of a similar ability just to save a few quid in wages.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:19 pm »
The. Sustainable business model is located 35 miles up the East Lancs. They didn't gamble with the clubs future or act recklessly.  They took a long term view and invested heavily in their business.

They didn't hum and har over investing in transfers, wages and their stadium and have reaped the rewards. For only investing what you earning at present is short sighted and shows an alarming lack of confidence.

I don't want a City like spending spree just a commitment and an intent to bring in players of a higher quality than we already have something that hasn't happened. To build a squad you keep your best players and get shut of your worst not swap players for players of a similar ability just to save a few quid in wages.

I'm not sold on the idea that the best players are out of our reach - we dont need to go for the flavour of the month players - rafa was adept at spotting talent just before it became expensive - Alves, Silva, Ramsey, Aguero would and could all have been ours for affordable amounts before they became mega stars and ridiculously priced -

as I said I think last summer was laying the ground work - we'll see what happens in the summer - if its as underwhelming as you fear then we can both worry

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #337 on: February 18, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »
I think United are screwed in the next couple of years they have an unsustainable model they are getting by on luck , reputation and Ferguson's politics.

we did spend large sums this summer though - the player selections did not pan out as well - 10 mil for Alonso wasn't massive, Mascherano we had on loan initially, the more relevant question is did we buy the right players rather than are we willing to spend what we need to buy the right players - 20m for Downing is not a small bet, neither was 16m for Henderson - thats the type of money you could expect to pay for the required quality - the situation on wages was unclear becaue of the legacy they were dealing with - but its a bit harsh to then say they are playing it like doug ellis .City are paying extraordinary wages because they have to otherwise top players would not have entertained going there - if that means thats now the going rate for top players then we need to accept we are not in that ball game - we can not afford to spend more than the club can afford they can - if we are not successful then we go under they just write it off - the risk for us is far greater than City or Chelsea - United I've already said the situation for United -

You simply couldn't be more wrong about United they have virtually halved their debt to £433m have paid of the expensive PIK lians and are paying it off at a rate of £70m a year. If it wasn't for volatility in the Singapore stock market the Glazers were going to float United sell off 30% of the Club for an eye watering £600m and completely pay off the debt and give Ferguson a warchest.

United is now valued at £2bn and once they are freed of the shackles of paying off that £70m-£100m a year they will be an absolute financial monster who will make Chelsea and City look like paupers. That is the backdrop of FSG acting like a corner shop that only invests in stock with what's in the till.

You keep getting bogged down with the transfer fees instead of understanding that it is wages that largely determines the quality of the player you can attract. You sight the £10m for Alonso without realising it was the fact that Liverpool were prepared to pay wages that Alonso couldn't of got anywhere else that brought him here. The question is would Fenway of sanctioned wages like that for a largely unproven player with absolutely no experience in the Premiership.

The same with Torres would Fenway of sanctioned £100k+ a week for a player who had questions marks about his ability at the highest level and was again unproven in the Premiership.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:26 pm »
You simply couldn't be more wrong about United they have virtually halved their debt to £433m have paid of the expensive PIK lians and are paying it off at a rate of £70m a year. If it wasn't for volatility in the Singapore stock market the Glazers were going to float United sell off 30% of the Club for an eye watering £600m and completely pay off the debt and give Ferguson a warchest.

United is now valued at £2bn and once they are freed of the shackles of paying off that £70m-£100m a year they will be an absolute financial monster who will make Chelsea and City look like paupers. That is the backdrop of FSG acting like a corner shop that only invests in stock with what's in the till.

You keep getting bogged down with the transfer fees instead of understanding that it is wages that largely determines the quality of the player you can attract. You sight the £10m for Alonso without realising it was the fact that Liverpool were prepared to pay wages that Alonso couldn't of got anywhere else that brought him here. The question is would Fenway of sanctioned wages like that for a largely unproven player with absolutely no experience in the Premiership.

The same with Torres would Fenway of sanctioned £100k+ a week for a player who had questions marks about his ability at the highest level and was again unproven in the Premiership.

time will tell with United.

I said about wages maybe you missed it? City and Chelsea are paying individual player wages that dwarf what United are paying - it will be interesting to see if United chase that particular dragon I suspect given their transfer activity of late that they wont. I suspect we wont either. If you believe we should pay the same as City I think you are barking.

if the clubs allow the wage race to spiral out of control at the whim of City and Chelsea then they'll only have themselves to blame, and maybe you, when they go the way of the dodo.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2012, 08:40:20 pm »
I'm not sold on the idea that the best players are out of our reach - we dont need to go for the flavour of the month players - rafa was adept at spotting talent just before it became expensive - Alves, Silva, Ramsey, Aguero would and could all have been ours for affordable amounts before they became mega stars and ridiculously priced -

as I said I think last summer was laying the ground work - we'll see what happens in the summer - if its as underwhelming as you fear then we can both worry

The problem is none of the players you mentioned are English and none of them had played in the Premiership. The best example I can think of for a comparison is the strategies of Newcastle and Liverpool. Whilst we went down the route of paying big fees and comparatively small wages Newcastle paid small fees and comparatively big wages in the summer and it's pretty obvious which club has reaped the rewards.

Fenway have came into Football with a attitude of being prepared to overspend on transfer fees and balance that against wages. The problem is that Football doesn't work like that successful players will want their wages increasing whilst unsuccessful players will see their transfer value plummet.

You can get a bargain in the transfer market when you get a player for less than his future transfer value but long term players will simply not let you get away with paying them under what they can get elsewhere. If you sign a succession of players on average wages you will end up with an average team.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: February 18, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »
I can see the football Kenny wants us to be playing but I also saw through all this season how it didn´t work with the players we got.

Getting back to CL is the most important thing and I fear that the people in charge underestimated the importance of sticking as much quality as possible in the squad in order to secure this place as soon as possible. Pure short term thinking. After this, there is room for long term plans and rebuilding the squad as it´s much easier to get proper replacement for whoever you want to get rid off.

So sticking to someone like Aquilani, not letting Meireles go, just for this season, wouldn´t have ruined us. It´s not that black and white, people in charge simply have to do a better job when putting together the squad, and the owners have to be willing to support them, this doesn´t mean taking silly risks.

We got "sold" on a long term plan, but this year, we underestimated a lot of factors when rebuilding the squad and our first eleven on too many positions. And unfortunately it could cost us top 4.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »
time will tell with United.

I said about wages maybe you missed it? City and Chelsea are paying individual player wages that dwarf what United are paying - it will be interesting to see if United chase that particular dragon I suspect given their transfer activity of late that they wont. I suspect we wont either. If you believe we should pay the same as City I think you are barking.

if the clubs allow the wage race to spiral out of control at the whim of City and Chelsea then they'll only have themselves to blame, and maybe you, when they go the way of the dodo.

United pay Rooney more money than the vast majority of City and Chelsea's players as for suggesting that Liverpool pay their players the same as City and Chelsea I haven't said that. What I have said is that expecting to catch the teams ahead of us whilst paying a third or a quarter of what the big boys play their players is doomed to failure.

What I am suggesting is that we need a leg up from FSG because if we wait until we generate the money before spending it we will be left behind.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: February 18, 2012, 08:52:09 pm »
The problem is none of the players you mentioned are English and none of them had played in the Premiership. The best example I can think of for a comparison is the strategies of Newcastle and Liverpool. Whilst we went down the route of paying big fees and comparatively small wages Newcastle paid small fees and comparatively big wages in the summer and it's pretty obvious which club has reaped the rewards.

Fenway have came into Football with a attitude of being prepared to overspend on transfer fees and balance that against wages. The problem is that Football doesn't work like that successful players will want their wages increasing whilst unsuccessful players will see their transfer value plummet.

You can get a bargain in the transfer market when you get a player for less than his future transfer value but long term players will simply not let you get away with paying them under what they can get elsewhere. If you sign a succession of players on average wages you will end up with an average team.

you've assumed your own motivation for the summer signings and then based your entire argument around it? We dont know their motivation.

what if it was less financial and more to do with risk - that they understood they needed to change the age profile of the squad and its nationality - that they knew that so many incoming transfers would mean a high risk of failure - that bringing in players from abroad would increase the risk of players not settling or adapting - that players with prem experience should be more likely to adapt quickly and transfer the ability they'd shown for other clubs into similar performances for Liverpool?

its been as big an unpleasant surprise for me as it has for them no doubt that some of the players have taken a long time to settle, in fact in Enrique and Downing's cases they appear to have gone backwards over time.

I'd suspect the wage bill was a prime concern but as I've tried to say - with so many bad deals on the books - Jovanovic, Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky, Carragher even the likes of Eccleston - we have been underperforming for the size of our wage bill - we effectively had to take a hit last summer just to stabilise the position and your basing your judgement largely on that.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #343 on: February 18, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »
Good site this.

How much money?

Disgusting really.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/1992-to-2011.html
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2012, 08:59:55 pm »
We got "sold" on a long term plan, but this year, we underestimated a lot of factors when rebuilding the squad and our first eleven on too many positions. And unfortunately it could cost us top 4.

I dont think I underestimated the rebuilding at all - I think many people still are however.

Meireles and Aquilani - nobody on here knows what happened with those players - was Meireles really worth doubling his money? Did Aquilani really want to stay? And most importantly did Dalglish actually want them? Would he have even played them? He told  Aquilani he could noy guarantee him a game. Speculation at best that if they had stayed they'd have improved our current lot.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2012, 09:01:32 pm »
And the last 5 years, Arsenal have spent less than any other PL club

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #346 on: February 18, 2012, 09:05:43 pm »
I dont think I underestimated the rebuilding at all - I think many people still are however.

Meireles and Aquilani - nobody on here knows what happened with those players - was Meireles really worth doubling his money? Did Aquilani really want to stay? And most importantly did Dalglish actually want them? Would he have even played them? He told  Aquilani he could noy guarantee him a game. Speculation at best that if they had stayed they'd have improved our current lot.

What rebuilding? Newcastle finished in the bottom half last season and are vying for 4th place this season. Last season we finished 2nd in the form table and only a few points off a Spurs side who are now challenging for the league, there simply isn't any excuses for me, we spent poorly and are now paying the price, with the amount of money we spent we should have been in a similar situation to where Spurs are right now.

And to answer your question, yes it was worth doubling Merieles money considering he was on 30,000 a week far less than a player of his quality is worth, its worth considering the likes of Downing and Caroll are on a similar wage to what Mereiles wanted, and his output last season was far greater than any of those players have had this season. If we had kept our team from last year we would have had 4th sealed right now i'm sure of that.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2012, 09:07:32 pm »

And there's the rub. If you follow the logic of looking to bring in top talent at a cost we can afford and with our current situation relative to our competitors, you're looking at Benitez in some capacity, either as manager or director of football. That's not politically possible on a number of levels.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #348 on: February 18, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »
you've assumed your own motivation for the summer signings and then based your entire argument around it? We dont know their motivation.

what if it was less financial and more to do with risk - that they understood they needed to change the age profile of the squad and its nationality - that they knew that so many incoming transfers would mean a high risk of failure - that bringing in players from abroad would increase the risk of players not settling or adapting - that players with prem experience should be more likely to adapt quickly and transfer the ability they'd shown for other clubs into similar performances for Liverpool?

its been as big an unpleasant surprise for me as it has for them no doubt that some of the players have taken a long time to settle, in fact in Enrique and Downing's cases they appear to have gone backwards over time.

I'd suspect the wage bill was a prime concern but as I've tried to say - with so many bad deals on the books - Jovanovic, Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky, Carragher even the likes of Eccleston - we have been underperforming for the size of our wage bill - we effectively had to take a hit last summer just to stabilise the position and your basing your judgement largely on that.

No I have based it on what has actually been said FSG have made it clear that they wanted to base the Club on local, English and Premiership players. Werner has actually stated that he wants to see a situation where we have a bigger wage bill but only when the Club is generating that money. Which is a bit daft when clearly better players on bigger wages are likely to improve the Club's performance on the pitch which will increase revenue whilst worse players on lower wages are likely to hamper performances and lead to a reduction in revenue.

As I keep saying show faith invest in better players and reap the rewards that is what is proven to work in football. As for the reason we ended up with a squad full of dead wood is because we bought cheap and bought twice, three times and sometimes more. You pay the extra bring in proven quality and reap the rewards for year to come.

We didn't have dead wood to get shut of in January but we didn't even look to bring in quality. As Spurs showed with VDV sometimes you get unexpected opportunities late in the window we didn't even wait until the last day of the window. As it goes I think FSG have got a lot of things right I just think they need to get to grips with how football works in this Country and get a handle on the relationship between wages and quality.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: February 18, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »
I can see the football Kenny wants us to be playing but I also saw through all this season how it didn´t work with the players we got.

Getting back to CL is the most important thing and I fear that the people in charge underestimated the importance of sticking as much quality as possible in the squad in order to secure this place as soon as possible. Pure short term thinking. After this, there is room for long term plans and rebuilding the squad as it´s much easier to get proper replacement for whoever you want to get rid off.

So sticking to someone like Aquilani, not letting Meireles go, just for this season, wouldn´t have ruined us. It´s not that black and white, people in charge simply have to do a better job when putting together the squad, and the owners have to be willing to support them, this doesn´t mean taking silly risks.

Agree with all of that, and it seriously worries me with regards to our future.
Right now, we could be playing with this team:
Reina
Johnson skrtel Agger Enrique
    Gerrard Aquilani Miereles maxi
Suarez Torres

For a total net spend of about £10m. Assume when they took over that we already had Suarez primed and we needed a left-back to have a bloody good team.
Screw what the players wanted, they're professionals and they do what they're paid to do.
I'll be honest, as a sub I liked Cole as well, and if we're going to pay 75% of his wages, we might as well have use of him.
We've planned for a future that might see us constantly floating around the 4th spot, instead of being determined to make 4th a given, and pushing quickly for better in whatever way we could.

We need a lot of money spending on transfers and salaries to get us back to what Rafa gave us year-in, year-out.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: February 18, 2012, 09:26:13 pm »

The people in charge did underestimate the effect this drastic changes had on our performances in the beginning of the season. Then came the injury of Lucas and ban of Suarez and we weren´t prepared at all although it was quite obvious in summer that we were pretty thin in this area.

Bad management IF you consider the goal to be 4th which was called out by the club, not us fans.

I know where you are coming from but your view wasn´t the plan stated in public by the club. The club more or less wanted to reach top 4 while having a long term plan for the squad. This just doesn´t work without being super smart in transfers.

Considering this, I fully agree with this:

What I am suggesting is that we need a leg up from FSG because if we wait until we generate the money before spending it we will be left behind.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:38:02 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline rola

• Main Stander
« Reply #351 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »

ManU invested in their squad spending from a position of strength though.  They either had the foresight or the incredible good fortune to develop half of of a championship winning team from within.  This followed a sustained period of paying massively over the odds for start names who failed to perform for them. Where they did do well was in building on that initial success.  As you say, they invested in the squad and in their stadium. They also expanded their merchandising and sponsorship at a time when we sat on our laurels and waited for the next league title to drop into our laps because we where Liverpool and we won things like that.

We're dealing with years of underinvestment at all levels of the club.  The merchandising and sponsorship side has moved on massively in recent times, and that puts us in a much stronger position financially. The stadiums still not been sorted and that's held us back money wise - but that's years of dithering and complacency from successive regimes.  On the playing side we've invested more than most.  City and Chelsea have twisted things out of all perspective with their mega spending, and we've not been in any sort of position to keep up with that.  The only club that's been able to keep pace is ManU - again from a position of strength.  Winning things generates money which has enabled to just stay ahead of the monied pack (but for how much longer?)

No-one else has been able to keep pace.  It's remarkable that we're still in with a fighting chance given the mess the club has been in over the last few years. If anything has held us back it has been failing to capitalise on the opportunities we've had.  Rafa's remarkable CL success and rise to 2nd place wasn't backed by a corrupt regime.  That was us having bucked the trend with some astute buys and sound management - that was us getting ourselves into a position of strength.  That was the time to back the manager, back the team and back the club.  The people in charge decided not to.  We missed our chance.  The we double and treble fucked it by screwing Rafa and recruiting Hodgson - essentially putting the club into suspended animation for two years while the G&H saga played itself out to its end game.

New owners, new manager, new players.  It was back to go when FSG took over.  Step 1 is put sort out the financial position and personnel running the show.  They've made their call on that, and all that we can do now is see how that plays out - not over 3 transfer windows and someone suggested (how times change when we measure success from transfer window to transfer window), but more realistically over 3 full seasons. That's when we try to put ourselves back into a position of strength (relative to where we started) through astute management on and off the pitch.  It's the only option open to us.  At that point - if all goes to plan, we should be back in the CL, challenging domestically and have the stadium situation sorted, with a much improved playing squad all round.

If some of the investment in new and homegrown players bears fruit, we might even have a squad that will bring us some trophies. 

On the subject of transfers and short termism in general, we've got to remember how long it takes for players to be ready to perform. Not everyone can be an instant success - some players actually develop and grow and need time - best example I can think of is Lucas who was crucified by loads of people, and has developed into a player who is now considered to central to our best team. I'm as frustrated with Downing as anyone - but the likes of Henderson, Shelvey, Coates and any number of youngsters coming through our academy could well be having a similar impact over the next few seasons.

It's disappointing when big money signings don't perform - but bizarre as it may seem, £20M for Downing appears to be the going rate for yer journeyman english league proven midfielder.  ManU paid similar amounts for Young and Valencia. It's a feature of the over inflated market.  More "quality" of the exotic import kind would probably have cost double - Alexis Sanchez.  See also Aguero.  Though both those signings and others at City et al come with the hidden premium of astronomical (even by football standards) wages.  Why not take a punt?  1. We can't afford it because we can't actually finance that sort of spending 2.It has a knock on effect on the rest of squad (big name players want parity) which cost us even more and 3. they don;t want to come here anyway because we're not up near the top yet (position of strength I referred to).

None of that explains the Downing signing of course.  Nor does it explain £35m on Carroll either. Sorry - can't help with that - best ask the football experts who scouted and picked them out as suitable players for us.  Personally, I'd have told Torres to stay and hoped that Kenny and Suarez could have cheered him up enough to start scoring goals again, and gone for the dutch guy Elia.  No guarantee that would have worked either of course. Funny thing is - it wouldn't have left the club any better off financially either...what do I know eh?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #352 on: February 18, 2012, 09:50:58 pm »

Bad management IF you consider the goal to be 4th which was called out by the club, not us fans.

In any case, 4th was the target. Far as I know, in most big businesses, if you miss your target (and it is still entirely possible we can finish 4th, Chelsea and Arsenal are hardly tearing up the league at the moment!) if you miss your targets, then you review whether the target was realistic to begin with, what went wrong and what could have been done differently. It's very unusual to simply blame senior management on that basis alone, based on the first year's activity.

The freak long-term injury to the one player we had no real cover for, coupled with the loss of a talent like Suarez for a period, and, to a lesser extent Gerrard's time out, all make for pretty convincing extenuating circumstances beyond the manager's control here.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2012, 09:52:07 pm »
No I have based it on what has actually been said FSG have made it clear that they wanted to base the Club on local, English and Premiership players. Werner has actually stated that he wants to see a situation where we have a bigger wage bill but only when the Club is generating that money. Which is a bit daft when clearly better players on bigger wages are likely to improve the Club's performance on the pitch which will increase revenue whilst worse players on lower wages are likely to hamper performances and lead to a reduction in revenue.

As I keep saying show faith invest in better players and reap the rewards that is what is proven to work in football. As for the reason we ended up with a squad full of dead wood is because we bought cheap and bought twice, three times and sometimes more. You pay the extra bring in proven quality and reap the rewards for year to come.

We didn't have dead wood to get shut of in January but we didn't even look to bring in quality. As Spurs showed with VDV sometimes you get unexpected opportunities late in the window we didn't even wait until the last day of the window. As it goes I think FSG have got a lot of things right I just think they need to get to grips with how football works in this Country and get a handle on the relationship between wages and quality.

nope you've taken a few sound bytes , added some intelligent thought and come up with a premise - its not the same thing as knowing what the hell happened this summer

Henry's said he wants the best players and to win the title, that whatever funds are needed will be made available - that we dont perform as well as we should given the wage bill - the latter in particular would suggest to me at least that he's saying we need better quality, players that deliver to the level they are paid?

If the players we've signed had performed as hoped or even as expected then I think the squad would have moved substantially forward instead its seems some have underperformed on what was expected - I dont think that has necessarily to be a indictment of policy as much as the individual selection of players.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2012, 09:54:11 pm »
It's disappointing when big money signings don't perform - but bizarre as it may seem, £20M for Downing appears to be the going rate for yer journeyman english league proven midfielder.  ManU paid similar amounts for Young and Valencia. It's a feature of the over inflated market.  More "quality" of the exotic import kind would probably have cost double - Alexis Sanchez.  See also Aguero.  Though both those signings and others at City et al come with the hidden premium of astronomical (even by football standards) wages.  Why not take a punt?  1. We can't afford it because we can't actually finance that sort of spending 2.It has a knock on effect on the rest of squad (big name players want parity) which cost us even more and 3. they don;t want to come here anyway because we're not up near the top yet (position of strength I referred to).

There's part of the problem there. Aquilani. We'll have to accept that, without CL football, and without a suitably big name at the head (Dalglish is a huge name for us, but not on the continent where the technical talent is), we won't be able to attract the top names until we get to that stage again. So we have to work on keeping what we have, or at least get a good price for them if they leave so we can replace them, either with a replacement or with a replacement plan. Aquilani is that level of player which we should be looking at, but we can't get right now. So why are we getting rid of him, and more importantly, why are we getting rid of him for a pittance? Why are we giving Moneyball signings to other clubs, and doing the opposite of it ourselves? Someone raised the point about Tevez and how Man City can afford to keep him idle, but the wages we save on Aquilani scarcely compensate for the lower fee we'll get for him, and given his professionalism, we lose out in a playing capacity too. For me, it smells of putting pride ahead of sense, and wasting massive amounts of our resources in the process. Unless we get very, very lucky, that's not going to get us anywhere we want to be.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »
In any case, 4th was the target. Far as I know, in most big businesses, if you miss your target (and it is still entirely possible we can finish 4th, Chelsea and Arsenal are hardly tearing up the league at the moment!) if you miss your targets, then you review whether the target was realistic to begin with, what went wrong and what could have been done differently. It's very unusual to simply blame senior management on that basis alone, based on the first year's activity.

The freak long-term injury to the one player we had no real cover for, coupled with the loss of a talent like Suarez for a period, and, to a lesser extent Gerrard's time out, all make for pretty convincing extenuating circumstances beyond the manager's control here.

I did hammer on those points, repeatedly, long before this season began. If they were foreseeable, as they clearly were, I don't see how they're extenuating circumstances.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:38 pm »
There's part of the problem there. Aquilani. We'll have to accept that, without CL football, and without a suitably big name at the head (Dalglish is a huge name for us, but not on the continent where the technical talent is), we won't be able to attract the top names until we get to that stage again. So we have to work on keeping what we have, or at least get a good price for them if they leave so we can replace them, either with a replacement or with a replacement plan. Aquilani is that level of player which we should be looking at, but we can't get right now. So why are we getting rid of him, and more importantly, why are we getting rid of him for a pittance? Why are we giving Moneyball signings to other clubs, and doing the opposite of it ourselves? Someone raised the point about Tevez and how Man City can afford to keep him idle, but the wages we save on Aquilani scarcely compensate for the lower fee we'll get for him, and given his professionalism, we lose out in a playing capacity too. For me, it smells of putting pride ahead of sense, and wasting massive amounts of our resources in the process. Unless we get very, very lucky, that's not going to get us anywhere we want to be.

or maybe Keny just didn't rate Aquilani and he was only played pre-season to put him in the shop window?

or we thought Gerrard would be available relatively soon and Aquilani wouldn't get a game?

or we thought AA does not really want to be here, he wants to go home to Italy and we either save his wages or lose 4m this season because he wont perform?

we dont know why do we and the speculation tends to tell you more about the individual making it than the reality of what happened.

same story for Meireles - maybe Kenny was given the choice of Meireles or Henderson and he just opted for Henderson even though it cost a shed load more - we siply dont know - there may have been nothing machievalian about it at all or FSG may have just said he's off Kenny - he does not fit the age/nationality profile pick somebody else......

we dont know the why only the outcome the rest is speculation

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:41 pm »
nope you've taken a few sound bytes , added some intelligent thought and come up with a premise - its not the same thing as knowing what the hell happened this summer

Henry's said he wants the best players and to win the title, that whatever funds are needed will be made available - that we dont perform as well as we should given the wage bill - the latter in particular would suggest to me at least that he's saying we need better quality, players that deliver to the level they are paid?

If the players we've signed had performed as hoped or even as expected then I think the squad would have moved substantially forward instead its seems some have underperformed on what was expected - I dont think that has necessarily to be a indictment of policy as much as the individual selection of players.

The biggest problem is that Henry has made it abundantly clear that they simply do not do deficit spending.

That for me makes it incredibly difficult for us to win titles and sign the best players as I said the summer will tell us a hell about FSG'S aspirations.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2012, 10:13:11 pm »
Aquilani.
Why are we giving Moneyball signings to other clubs, and doing the opposite of it ourselves?

And that's a fine point.
On Aquilani and Miereles you can well imagine the moneyball conversation taking place in Milan's and Chelsea's boardrooms.
We, the supposed football trailblazers of it, being the stupid club being taken advantage of.
You could say similarly about Cole with the Lille board.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »
And that's a fine point.
On Aquilani and Miereles you can well imagine the moneyball conversation taking place in Milan's and Chelsea's boardrooms.
We, the supposed football trailblazers of it, being the stupid club being taken advantage of.
You could say similarly about Cole with the Lille board.
We struggled to give Aquilani away.....
No one wanted him, Juve didn't and he'd spent a year there.
He simply wasn't the right p
Ayer for us and wasn't good enough to attract top clubs who would pay his wages.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W