Author Topic: Newscorpse Latest: Ding, Dong, the adulterous witch is charged  (Read 393463 times)

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Newscorpse Latest: Ding, Dong, the adulterous witch is charged
« Reply #7400 on: June 27, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »
Crikey imagine being on that jury for 8 months, the case would drive you insane. At the end of the day I'm not massively surprised Brooks was found not guilty, that was always going to be an incredibly difficult thing to prove, and Coulson admitting listening to hacked footage probably did him in.

All that money and Coulson will probably only spend a couple of months in jail. Still, at least the NOTW is gone and Murdoch's wings have been clipped, if only a little bit...

Offline The Tenacious Kennedy

• Determined to end the Lies. Don't f*ck with this cat!
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • "They were organised; we were not"
« Reply #7401 on: June 29, 2014, 12:02:47 am »
Incidentally, the NOTW journalist, Robert Kellaway,  whose name appeared on the infamous  Milly Dowler story that was allegedly based on hacking her voicemails  (he denied writing it in court) was a former Sun journalist who did some of the Sun's coverage of Hillsborough in 1989
Follow me on Twitter @wrong_kennedy

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7402 on: July 1, 2014, 12:03:40 am »
Alex Thomson highlighting the wider issues which remain barely addressed after this trial.

It’s not just phones that have been hacked, it’s British power

It is not about hacking and News International and it never was.

It is about totalitarianism.

The finding of guilt against Andy Coulson makes him only one of a number of senior News International journalists who have already pleaded guilty.

Thus the Great Wapping Lie that it was just the odd rotten apple is exposed. It was a rotten orchard. It was criminality on an industrial scale.

And with a prime ministerial apology for getting too close to Murdoch-land it goes to where this mess belongs – the very top.

Because it was never about mere hacking. It was about what the Murdoch empire achieved – turning septic the very epicentres of power in our land. The lessons of this is that this is precisely what took place year after year after year.

Successive prime ministers and cabinets part-seduced , part-intimidated by the power of Murdoch-land on the one hand and fear of his empire on the other.

The same psychosis ran true for so many MPs, many of who have candidly admitted to me and many others, that this was the case.

The same cancer spread through the most powerful police forces in the land and who knows what other areas of high officialdom.

The abiding fear throughout them all, that if they did not keep in with Wapping, their dustbins, their private lives, their cupboards and their skeletons would be next.

Stanley Baldwin would not entertain the company of press barons. Today he looks a statesman after the antics of Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron desperately out-schmoozing each other other for scraps thrown for the table of the House of Murdoch

It corrupted prime ministerial judgement and now we have the apology to prove it. Political commentators call this “embarrassing”. I suggest it is a great deal more serious than that.

Therein lies the key lesson for this sorry saga. The fear has to end. The cosying has to stop.

The absurd fantasy that The Sun could win you an election – and the fear that Wapping can go through your dustbins was wrong in the first thought, corrosive in the second.

Shame upon shame that it took the foul and unspeakable antics over Millie Dowler’s phone (and other young murder victims) to bring our politicians and out police forces to their belated senses. That should remain a serious stain on the workings of the British state.

In that at least, poor Millie Dowler leaves our battered democracy with a painful and valuable legacy.

Not since the spectre of world war has any outfit so successfully threatened the power of our supposedly democratic institutions.

The trade unions never came this close in the seventies, nor Arthur Scargill in the early eighties, not bankers in this century.

So no, this was never just about hacking.

Alex Thomson

« Last Edit: July 1, 2014, 12:05:31 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #7403 on: July 4, 2014, 10:29:30 am »
Andy Coulson sent to prison for 18 months...

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7404 on: July 4, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »
Andy Coulson jailed for 18 months and banned from all football related activities.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7405 on: July 4, 2014, 12:58:34 pm »
18 months.  lol.

In a cushy open prison too I'll bet.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7406 on: July 4, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »
According to Cameron this sentencing proves "nobody is above the law". 

What a fucking crock of shit.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7407 on: July 4, 2014, 01:42:03 pm »
18 months.  lol.

Hopefully he'll be given a whole heap of grief whilst serving his time at "holiday camp". The tabloids have been telling us how soft prison time is. No doubt we'll have heaps of gushing shit about how he has changed when he comes out.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7408 on: July 4, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »
Pity is wasn't longer for a vile creature that self-endorsed his intrusive actions as if nothing else mattered but the story.

The sad thing about this sorry affair is that the majority of us wish he was being accompanied by a lady found not guilty.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7409 on: July 4, 2014, 04:27:27 pm »

Hope those words are quoted back at him when he's up against the wall about to be shot.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7411 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:41 am »
Sunday Mirror journo charged with phone hacking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29629455

Offline Fowllah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What the fuck was I thinking with this pseudo?
« Reply #7412 on: October 15, 2014, 11:36:52 am »
I, for one, never really believed it was just News International.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11117880/Trinity-Mirror-Were-sorry-we-did-hack-phones.html

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #7413 on: October 15, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »
Sunday Mirror journo charged with phone hacking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29629455

Aye well.  Back in the day the Mirror was the paper you could trust.  That was before it became a comic of course.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7414 on: October 15, 2014, 03:20:39 pm »
Aye well.  Back in the day the Mirror was the paper you could trust.  That was before it became a comic of course.

How did Piers Moron ever get that job?

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #7415 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »
How did Piers Moron ever get that job?
The contact list that moron and his agent  would, others might suggest, be formidable and I would hesitate to guess.
 '
But one thing I'm certain of.  It wasn't because of talent.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #7416 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:37 am »
Andy Coulson has just been released from jail after serving 5 months. Now let that be a lesson!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #7417 on: November 21, 2014, 10:26:36 am »

18 months.  lol.

Well  5 months served. i thought the best you could get was 50% the the rest on license, yet this prick serves just over 30% of the time.

Nothing untoward there,no sirree bob its all above board.. not a hint of conspiracy, not a hint of all these fuckers looking after each other regardless of the crimes committed. the judicial system the world over is corrupt as fuck, at least in dictatorships you KNOW theres 2 rules. one for them and one for the minions.,
JFT 96

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7418 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14:15 am »
Well  5 months served. i thought the best you could get was 50% the the rest on license, yet this prick serves just over 30% of the time.

Nothing untoward there,no sirree bob its all above board.. not a hint of conspiracy, not a hint of all these fuckers looking after each other regardless of the crimes committed. the judicial system[i] the world over [/i]is corrupt as fuck, at least in dictatorships you KNOW theres 2 rules. one for them and one for the minions.,
Well maybe not South Korea on this occasion: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/20/south-korea-sewol-ferry-operator-boss-jailed-10-years
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:17:53 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #7419 on: November 21, 2014, 12:48:50 pm »
But he will have to wear a tag , i feel for him,  how horrible that must be for such an upstanding moral citizen.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #7420 on: November 21, 2014, 12:53:41 pm »
But he will have to wear a tag , ....

Hopefully a large one with the phrase "I am a complete and utter cunt" written on it in large letters.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7421 on: November 21, 2014, 01:14:15 pm »
Hopefully a large one with the phrase "I am a complete and utter cunt" written on it in large letters.

or around his neck that tightens up day by day!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7422 on: June 3, 2015, 04:23:22 pm »
Wrong type of lies in court!

So it's perfectly fine to lie under oath, as long as the lies aren't deemed relevant.

This raises more questions than answers.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #7423 on: June 3, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »

Yes, it does all seem just a little bit peculiar.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7424 on: June 9, 2015, 03:28:19 am »
Wrong type of lies in court!

So it's perfectly fine to lie under oath, as long as the lies aren't deemed relevant.

This raises more questions than answers.

Thought that myself.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7425 on: June 14, 2015, 11:45:19 am »
I see James Murdoch's 'punishment' for his part in the phone hacking shit is to take over as ceo of 21C Fox.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7427 on: December 11, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »
Phone hacking: CPS calls end to prosecutions

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35070715
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7428 on: January 3, 2016, 12:34:50 pm »
Seems to be business as usual again now.

Cameron, Osborne and Murdoch back together at mogul's Christmas knees-up

Party at magnate’s London flat saw half the Tory cabinet and Rebekah Brooks in attendance and marks Murdoch’s return to the centre of political power

David Cameron was joined by George Gideon Oliver Osborne, son of Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon and Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock, educated at St. Paul's and Magdalen College, Oxford at Rupert Murdoch’s Christmas house party on Monday night, an event where half the Conservative cabinet went to toast the media magnate.

John Whittingdale, the culture secretary, whose job it is to regulate the media industry, and Priti Patel, the employment minister who attends cabinet meetings, were among the other ministers present at a gathering with rightwing columnists and Jerry Hall, the former model and new partner of the 84-year-old media patriarch.

Rebekah Brooks was the most senior News Corp UK executive in attendance, alongside the group’s national newspaper editors John Witherow, Tony Gallagher and Martin Ivens in what is understood to be her first chance to raise a glass with the prime minister since being reappointed as chief executive in September.

Although Murdoch has retained personal links to Osborne and other members of the cabinet, the media mogul is understood to have been particularly hostile to Cameron because of the prime minister’s decision to launch the Leveson inquiry into the media in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal.

Two former journalists who have proved Murdoch’s most vociferous supporters in government – Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove – were both understood to be out of London: “Otherwise they wouldn’t have turned down the invitation of the year,” sniffed one News Corp insider of the boss’s bash.

Unassuming from the outside, despite its location between the Ritz hotel and St James’s Palace in London, Murdoch’s flat has a large balcony overlooking Green Park. It isn’t known if the prime minister, who has admitted to his struggle to give up smoking in the past, was among those going outside for a sneaky drag.

By 9pm, a party which started three hours earlier had started to wind down and several ministers, including Cameron and Osborne, headed to the Conservative Christmas party being held at the Sexy Fish restaurant in Mayfair.

Murdoch’s early-evening gathering is the first to be attended by such political big beasts since the mogul’s huge Kensington Palace party in June 2011. Then Labour leader Ed Miliband and many of his shadow team joined Cameron in full public view before the most devastating of revelations about phone hacking emerged.

This year’s party, held at night and at home, may have been smaller but it marks Murdoch’s return to the centre of power more than almost anything else, the culmination of the process that has seen him regain his position at the top of British life.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/dec/22/cameron-osborne-and-murdoch-back-together-at-moguls-christmas-knees-up
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7429 on: January 3, 2016, 12:38:37 pm »
Hang on, Murdoch is hanging out the back of Jerry Hall? What an image!

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #7430 on: January 14, 2016, 08:15:24 am »
It appears that this story hasn't yet run it's course....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rebekah-brooks-new-claims-that-phone-hacking-was-rife-at-the-sun-under-former-editor-a6810976.html

Rebekah Brooks is facing a legal battle over new allegations that phone hacking was “endemic” when she was editor of The S*n, a court has heard.

Lawyers for News Group Newspapers, a division of Rupert Murdoch’s UK print business, told a High Court hearing that a “new flank” of hacking claims had been opened against Rupert Murdoch’s daily tabloid.

Ms Brooks, the chief executive of News UK, who resigned from the same post shortly after the closure of the News of the World in 2011, was found not guilty of involvement in phone hacking after a lengthy criminal trial, which ended in 2014. She was reappointed to her old job last year.

The potential inclusion of The S*n in the third tranche of phone-hacking civil actions – which had previously all related to its sister paper the NOTW – could leave the company facing substantial extra compensation payouts.

News UK, the rebranded name of News International, is reported to have already spent more than £300m in the fallout from phone hacking at the NOTW. The total cost of defending the Murdoch empire is thought to be close to $1bn (£690m). NGN has always said that there was no hacking activity at The S*n.

A civil trial over the latest claims against the NOTW had been scheduled for April, with a selection of test cases from a possible 16 claims pencilled in. The court heard that a further 25 were also pending.

If five of the claimants are successful and they are allowed to amend their claims to include phone hacking at to include phone hacking at The S*n, lawyers representing victims say a potential 60 cases could follow. News UK says such claims are unsubstantiated and will be vigorously challenged in court.

Claimants alleging that hacking took place at The S*n under Ms Brooks’ watch are relying on witness statements from former NGN journalists and the private investigator regularly commissioned to hack by the NOTW. In documents lodged with the court, several witnesses maintain they were “intimately involved or engaged in these unlawful activities on behalf of NGN, both at the News of the World and The S*n”.

Greg Miskiw, the former assistant editor of the NOTW while Ms Brooks was at the helm until 2002, confirms in his statement that “phone hacking and blagging were used and that this was known about by Ms Brooks”.

Paul McMullan, who worked at both The S*n and the NOTW, as a features writer and features editor appointed by Ms Brooks up until 2001, alleges the widespread use of voicemail interceptions at both papers.

Stuart Hoare, the brother of the late Sean Hoare, who worked on both NGN tabloids, said his brother “confessed before he died to hacking phones with Dominic Mohan”, then showbiz editor of The S*n, who went on to edit the paper. He claims the practice was “endemic” within the two newspapers.

Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator jailed for phone hacking, said that he was also hired to provide unlawfully obtained information for The S*n or for articles that appeared in the daily paper.

Lawyers for the new claimants maintain that phone hacking was used by The S*n in published stories and that they have a “strong case based on the evidence of Ms Brooks’ knowledge and approval of such activities”.

Among the new claimants is Simon Clegg, a former chief executive of the British Olympic Association. He was a key individual in persuading the UK government to bid for the 2012 Games.

Mr Clegg was notified by the Metropolitan Police in 2014 that he was a victim of phone hacking. In his statement, lodged with the court, he claims to have identified 11 articles that were “examples of voicemail interception”  used for stories published in the NOTW and The S*n.

Although NGN has been aware of Mr Clegg’s case since last year, he said the company had offered no explanation about how they obtained information for the articles. One of the cited articles from 2002 was headlined “Olympic bid hits a hurdle” and offered information from a “source” which Mr Clegg said could only have been his voicemail.

EastEnders actors Christopher Parker and Brooke Kinsella and Coronation Street actors Kym Marsh, Samia Ghadie and Alan Halsall also feature in the list.

Others are designer Pearl Lowe and her musician husband Danny Goffey and actor and comedian Les Dennis.

The judge, Mr Justice Mann, granted an adjournment to NGN on hearing the full details of The S*n cases.

A spokesperson for News UK said: “Following  many years of investigation, there were no charges against The S*n or its employees for voicemail interception.

“Today, certain claimants seeking financial settlements arising from activities at the News of the World have made unsubstantiated claims against The S*n. If the court permits such claims to proceed, The S*n will defend them vigorously.”

The hearing before Mr Justice Mann is expected to continue until 15 January. The judge said that he would give his decision on whether to allow the claims to be brought against The S*n before Easter.
Believer

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7431 on: January 14, 2016, 08:23:40 am »
Said when the thread began all those years ago, fuck all will happen to her, absolutely fuck all and I've not been proved wrong so far. These c*nts live a charmed life.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #7432 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:10 am »
Said when the thread began all those years ago, fuck all will happen to her, absolutely fuck all and I've not been proved wrong so far. These c*nts live a charmed life.
More likely there all in the same lodge.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7433 on: January 16, 2016, 05:14:56 pm »
The Sun may set for final time, as major scandal threatens to knock paper to its knees

Rupert Murdoch may be in the phone hacking dock once again, this time over claims that The Sun newspaper has also made widespread use of the practice, according to The Independent. The last time the media magnate’s empire was embroiled in a phone hacking scandal, it ended with his News of the World (NoW) title being shut down. So, with a fresh wave of allegations on the horizon, could this be the harbinger of The Sun’s demise?

The new claims were confirmed at a recent High Court hearing by lawyers for News Group Newspapers (NGN), an arm of Murdoch’s UK print industry. News UK – the new name for Murdoch’s News International – has been engaged in a long string of lawsuits following the NoW hacking case, and these have already cost the company more than £300 million. There are further cases due, and seemingly some of these include allegations against The Sun.

As The Independent details, these new claims are largely based on testimonies from previous employees at NGN. Several of these witnesses claim they were:

intimately involved or engaged in these unlawful activities on behalf of NGN, both at the News of the World and The Sun.

The testimonies come from Greg Miskiw, former editor of the NoW, and Paul McMullan, former features editor and writer at both The Sun and the NoW, amongst others.

News UK maintains The Sun’s innocence, but can they be trusted on this?

The precedent

Although the phone hacking scandal at the NoW broke in early 2011, resulting in the Leveson Inquiry, the first proven use of the practice at the paper was in 2005. As a result, a case was brought against Clive Goodman, the NoW royal editor, and Glenn Mulcaire, a private detective, for hacking the phones of royal aides – and, as was later discovered, members of the royal family themselves.

Both men served time in prison for their crimes and received hefty payouts from News UK. In the case of Goodman, this payment – of £243,000 – was a consequence of his objections to his dismissal from the paper. As detailed in the book Dial M For Murdoch, Goodman wrote to News UK, arguing:

The decision is perverse in that the actions leading to this criminal charge were carried out with the full knowledge of [names redacted]…the Editor promised me on many occasions that I could come back to a job at the newspaper if I did not implicate the paper or any of its staff in my mitigation plea.

News UK vehemently denied Goodman’s assertions that others knew about the hacking but paid him the extensive payout regardless. He has remained mostly silent since. However, Goodman’s contention was supported by evidence seized in that investigation. This evidence, now famously known as the ‘For Neville‘ email, confirms that phone hacking was rife at the NoW – not limited to Goodman as a ‘rogue’ reporter – and senior staff knew about it.

The ‘For Neville’ email led in 2008 to a huge payout to Gordon Taylor, the boss of the footballers’ union, in exchange for his silence as the target of that specific hacking. It did not, however, lead to the highest ranks of NGN owning up to their culpability.

All in this together

Although – following these initial criminal findings – numerous investigations had been undertaken by a number of bodies including the police, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the Press Complaints Commission, and parliamentary committees, no major steps were taken to condemn, or curb, the suspected widespread hacking at NGN, or other media outlets – until the hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone was exposed in 2011.

The police, for their part, largely maintained that there was no endemic phone hacking taking place in the tabloid press. This has been attributed to collusion between members of the force and the newspapers in question, as actor Hugh Grant explains here:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YECmQWqUaP4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YECmQWqUaP4</a>

In addition to speaking on police collusion, Grant identifies the same collusion with government officials, who “need these tabloids, especially the Murdoch press, to get elected”.

When it turns out that Osborne was wining and dining with Britain’s major media moguls on the very same weekend that Corbyn won the leadership election, such connections between parliament and the press become hard to ignore. In the case of the Conservative government, the closeness between its leading figures and executives at Murdoch’s empire are undeniable – as was true of Tony Blair previously.

The opposition

One parliamentary figure who most certainly is not in the pocket of the Murdoch press, however, is Tom Watson. Labour’s new Deputy Leader has a long history of challenging the organisation on the ethics and legality of their enterprise. His dogged pursuit of the media powerhouse – in his position on the Culture, Media and Sports Committee – seemingly inspired a vendetta-style reaction from News UK in the past – a situation that sends a chill down the spine of most politicians. As detailed in Dial M for Murdoch, ex-Labour MP Alastair Campbell claims that, in 2009, Rebekah Brooks (then Wade) told him

that so far as she was concerned, with Tom Watson it’s personal, and we won’t stop until we get him.

Rebekah Brooks, the editor at various Murdoch titles and current now chief executive of News UK, was cleared in 2014 of criminal charges in relation to the NoW hacking scandal. These new allegations pertaining to The Sun, however, may draw her into another legal battle as she was editor of the paper at the time. With Watson now in an extremely influential position in the Labour party, it is possible that these fresh claims could bring press standards back into the spotlight – in the courts and in parliament.

Reportedly, the judge in the case will make his decision by Easter on allowing the claims against The Sun to be heard. If allowed, the accusations could have much the same effect on The Sun as it did on the NoW, diminishing the paper through substantial legal damages, loss of trust and advertising revenues. News UK has pledged it will “vigorously” defend itself. The battleground, it seems, is being set.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/01/15/sun-may-set-final-time-major-scandal-threatens-knock-paper-knees-video/
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7434 on: January 16, 2016, 05:51:17 pm »
The Sun may set for final time, as major scandal threatens to knock paper to its knees

Believe it when I see it.  Sadly I reckon it's up there with Chelsea being relegated for wishful thinking.

Popcorn's Art

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7435 on: January 16, 2016, 09:37:10 pm »
How can it be that the good ones like Bowie and Rickman always go early whilst the evil ones just keep on living? I keep waiting for Murdoch to get his call down to hell but no such luck, he just keeps on going!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7436 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:03 pm »
How can it be that the good ones like Bowie and Rickman always go early whilst the evil ones just keep on living? I keep waiting for Murdoch to get his call down to hell but no such luck, he just keeps on going!
Drink
Drugs
Fags
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7437 on: January 16, 2016, 10:35:54 pm »
I wonder what first attracted Jerry Hall to the billionaire global media mogul, uber fascist true leader of the Tory Party, extremely frail could pop his clogs any day now Rupert Murdoch?

Popcorn's Art

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7438 on: January 16, 2016, 11:59:03 pm »
To be fair Jerry Hall isn't short of a few bob, from a wealthy Texas oil family isn't she?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7439 on: January 17, 2016, 07:12:27 am »
Bet they dont play moves like Jagger at the reception