Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 42465 times)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:59 am »
Too much talk of the books going on in the TV thread. I think it's probably best to stick with using spoilers though, and just note beforehand which book the spoiler relates to, as i'm sure there are lots of people just reading the books for the first time since the show started. 

book 3 spoiler
Spoiler
Just after reading Catelyn's last chapter. So pissed off right now.  :no
[close]

Offline sherwos8

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:42:48 am »
It gets worse. A lot worse.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:17:37 pm »
Just got these through the post today.

Can't wait to get started.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:13 pm »
It gets worse. A lot worse.

Spoiler for later ASoS, so don't read Bob, if you don't want grisly details about the Red Wedding.

Spoiler
What? I don't see how it gets any worse than the Red Wedding, having read half of AFfC. Unless you're talking about the description of what they do to Robb's body.

On that note I was just retreading a chapter from ACoK, and I realized that when Dany is in the House of the Undying, she sees a vision of the Red Wedding, down to the detail of exactly what happened to Robb. Anyone have any theories about how this will turn out to be relevant later on? Seems to be a rather literal prophecy... I'm looking forward to this part in the series next year anyway, I hope they'll include it somehow. It'll really get people talking.

...Unless the timelines in ASoIaF are so distorted that the Red Wedding actually happened after Dany's stay in Qarth.
[close]

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:08:59 pm »
Song of Ice and Fire arrived today from Amazon, putting off watching the show until i finish the first book at least. Been meaning to read it for over a year now, will defo make time for it in the coming weeks once i finish what im reading at the moment.

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:00:09 pm »
Finished the fourth book earlier today. Next book seems ages away, no idea how others have managed with the full six years or so.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:53 am »
Finished the fourth book earlier today. Next book seems ages away, no idea how others have managed with the full six years or so.

There is 1 chapter of the 5th book out as a preview if you want to read.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

I had actually given up any hope of any more books. So when I heard the fifth book was to be out (with a concrete date - there have been false dawns earlier), I was pleasantly surprised.

Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44:51 am »
Two more weeks, folks - and then the dragons start dancing!  :lickin

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:42 am »
There is 1 chapter of the 5th book out as a preview if you want to read.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

I had actually given up any hope of any more books. So when I heard the fifth book was to be out (with a concrete date - there have been false dawns earlier), I was pleasantly surprised.

Looks good. The return of plot and pace.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 05:44:24 am »
An account of how the series has developed, from Martin's perspective

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/47184-the-factual-history-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2011, 11:24:18 am »
Sooo.. A Dance with Dragons out in less than a week. What's everyone hoping (realistically) to see happen?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2011, 11:51:18 am »
Sooo.. A Dance with Dragons out in less than a week. What's everyone hoping (realistically) to see happen?

I just hope that Martin starts to tie it  up and not keep on expanding with a  multitude of characters with their own problems an everything. Also very interested in all the happenings on the wall and Bran - not too much bothered about Essos (though I am sure it will have a major role in this book's storyline).
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2011, 12:02:25 pm »
I just hope that Martin starts to tie it  up and not keep on expanding with a  multitude of characters with their own problems an everything. Also very interested in all the happenings on the wall and Bran - not too much bothered about Essos (though I am sure it will have a major role in this book's storyline).

I have a feeling, from the early reviews, that it will go to 8 books. That, or The Winds of Winter is going to be an epic tome even longer than A Storm of Swords. The word is that it's not a bad book (better than Feast), but still very much a book for setting up the next phase of the story.

Spoilers up to end of ASoS

Spoiler
I'm hoping to see the end of Walder Frey. But since the POVs are mostly either in the East (Tyrion and Dany) or in the North, I doubt this will happen. Which is a damn shame. I have a bad feeling the old bastard will probably die of old age, and rob the surviving Starks of the revenge that I'm sure will be coming to some others.
[close]

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 7, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »
I have a feeling, from the early reviews, that it will go to 8 books. That, or The Winds of Winter is going to be an epic tome even longer than A Storm of Swords. The word is that it's not a bad book (better than Feast), but still very much a book for setting up the next phase of the story.

If he is upto his old self again, then it will probably to 9-10 books. I just hope he finishes the series.

Spoiler
I'm hoping to see the end of Walder Frey. But since the POVs are mostly either in the East (Tyrion and Dany) or in the North, I doubt this will happen. Which is a damn shame. I have a bad feeling the old bastard will probably die of old age, and rob the surviving Starks of the revenge that I'm sure will be coming to some others.
[close]

Spoiler
But who else is left? Tywin and Joffrey are dead, Cersei is in a soup and as you said Frey will probably die of old age. In any case, Martin doesn't seem to be big on the revenge stuff - after Red Wedding I had hoped for some revenge against Joff, Tywin and Walder. But the former two were bumped off by others - not that I was complaining; but it didn't have the sweet taste of revenge.
[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 7, 2011, 01:04:02 pm »
If he is upto his old self again, then it will probably to 9-10 books. I just hope he finishes the series.

Spoiler
But who else is left? Tywin and Joffrey are dead, Cersei is in a soup and as you said Frey will probably die of old age. In any case, Martin doesn't seem to be big on the revenge stuff - after Red Wedding I had hoped for some revenge against Joff, Tywin and Walder. But the former two were bumped off by others - not that I was complaining; but it didn't have the sweet taste of revenge.
[close]

More Storm and Feast spoilers

Spoiler
Still plenty of revenge to hand out. Roose Bolton and his bastard, Littlefinger, Theon Greyjoy. I'm not sure if Cersei's time is done yet either, but I suppose that's a reasonable conclusion, given that there's really not any more time to devote to a Lannister ruled court. At the moment I think the part of the story I'm most interested in is how the politics in King's Landing will resolve themselves with the Lannister power whittled away so quickly. I suppose for the sake of plot resolution the simplest route would be for Tommen to bend the knee when Dany finally arrives.. but I somehow doubt it will be that simple. I think 8 books will be enough though. That gives Martin the breadth of a whole trilogy to work with, and really so far his pacing has actually been superb until Feast.
[close]

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:33 pm »
Would it be terrible if i just skipped Feast for Crows and went straight to Dance with Dragons?

Blah.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 10:38:51 pm »
Would it be terrible if i just skipped Feast for Crows and went straight to Dance with Dragons?

Blah.

Since the books were meant to be read in a particular order, I would assume so; especially since Dragons continues with events after the Feast.
I found a Feast of Crows quite dragging in some places. However, since the next book wouldn't be out anytime soon; I would suggest that you take your time. There is no point rushing through it and sit twiddling your thumbs for 5 yrs.

Couldn't wait for the book to arrive by post and have downloaded it. Now, I am not too sure and thinking about waiting till it arrives. Its gonna be a test of my self control.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »
But of a necro, but the series has recently come under attack by feminist blogger Sady Doyle:

http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/08/26/enter-ye-myne-mystic-world-of-gayng-raype-what-the-r-stands-for-in-george-r-r-martin/

Followed by a riposte.

I can only imagien Doyle read the books with her agenda in mind, because otherwise I can't fathom how she could think, and write, that.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:30:37 am »
But of a necro, but the series has recently come under attack by feminist blogger Sady Doyle:

http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/08/26/enter-ye-myne-mystic-world-of-gayng-raype-what-the-r-stands-for-in-george-r-r-martin/

Followed by a riposte.

I can only imagien Doyle read the books with her agenda in mind, because otherwise I can't fathom how she could think, and write, that.

Skimmed a few paragraphs, and I think she's a troll. I have a lot of art school type (admittedly feminist) friends who'd find this kind of trolling funny.

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2011, 08:20:25 am »
Just picking up the fourth book.  With uni starting again soon I probably should finish it quickly, as I'll be too busy during school.

Anyway... Fucking depressing series this.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »
Just picking up the fourth book.  With uni starting again soon I probably should finish it quickly, as I'll be too busy during school.

Anyway... Fucking depressing series this.

Spoiler
I think book 3 will be the low point of the series for depression.
[close]

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2011, 06:00:09 am »

I certainly hope so.  That was painful

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #22 on: September 2, 2011, 06:11:03 am »
Got stuck on book three. tore through the first two but seemed to hit a wall out in the forest with Jon Stark. Anyway, I have a 13 hour flight on Monday so I think that might kickstart it all.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline Realdidi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
Finished book 2, the ending was excellently wrote. Cant wait to get stuck into book 3 :)
I love Liverpool like a fat kid love Cake

http://twitter.com/#/AlfaEllis

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »
Book 3 Part II and Book 4 are arriving tomorrow from Waterstones. :D
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »
Ah.. you guys reading book 3. Don't know whether to envy or pity you..

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 09:29:15 am »
Ah.. you guys reading book 3. Don't know whether to envy or pity you..

:D

Anyways, I would suggest all those reading through the series to take it slow. There's a lot of time before the 6th book. After each book , take some time and think back - there's a lot of stuff between the line and lots of hints.

I read through the first three books in one go in a week, and then spend time waiting for the 4th and a much much longer time waiting for the 5th. Don't make the the same mistake.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:30:53 am by Niru Red4ever »

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 6, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »
Halfway through the fourth book now, and I might be done with it soon--got a 12 hour flight coming!  Have to say at times the book is really slow.  Pacing is terrible in this series, imo.  Great series though, no doubt about it.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 6, 2011, 11:10:11 pm »
Been waiting for ages for the second one in this series, cracked into it on the commute home. Bliss.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 8, 2011, 02:09:24 am »
Halfway through the fourth book now, and I might be done with it soon--got a 12 hour flight coming!  Have to say at times the book is really slow.  Pacing is terrible in this series, imo.  Great series though, no doubt about it.

Don't really agree about the pacing in this series.. until the 4th book. Even then I found it quite easy going, except for all the Cersei chapters- I simply found her perspective incredibly annoying. It felt as though she had regressed to a GoT Joffrey state of mind.

It picks up towards the end. Brienne has some fantastic chapters in this (although many would disagree), and I think the Ironborn and Dornish chapters are both very good. Sansa's chapters I liked quite a lot too. The only ones I had little time for were Arya's and Cersei's

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 04:10:28 am »
Hi, I was planning to delve in to this story. I wanted to know if it is worth it. Also, I have watched the TV series, and was planning to start from book 2, is that ok, or should I go on to read the first one.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 04:35:25 am »
Hiya mate.

I would advise you to read book one, but i don't think it's absolutely vital.

Btw, over half way through the second book. It's brilliant.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 05:11:26 am »
Hiya mate.

I would advise you to read book one, but i don't think it's absolutely vital.

Btw, over half way through the second book. It's brilliant.

Thanks mate, I was wondering about whether to read the second as many a times the second book leaves us underwhelmed. Will start with the second most probably in a few days.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 09:14:41 am »
This series is really really pissing me off. Half way through book four and I have some sort of OCD where I won't start another book until I finish the other.

So fucking annoying, it's a grind

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 09:29:37 am »
I'm half way through a Feast for Crows and still really enjoying it. Not a big fan of the Onion Knight in the previous books but the Ironborn/Dornish new characters are interesting me so far. I don't really mind the extensive detail.

Unfortunately Roy Dotrice doesn't do the narration on a FFC audiobook and having listened to the others (also have the books but listen when I'm working out) it's a bit of a shock how plain and boring the replacement is. I used to be able to recognise who was speaking before the end of the sentence "...said Tyrion" for example because his voices were so good and varied. I hear GRR Martin got him back to do number book 5 so that's a small relief.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 03:43:03 pm »
Hi, I was planning to delve in to this story. I wanted to know if it is worth it. Also, I have watched the TV series, and was planning to start from book 2, is that ok, or should I go on to read the first one.

Read it book 1. There's a lot missing from the series, including characters, and from what I can see those characters don't appear in season 2 either. These are some fan favourites, so it's definitely worth reading.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 03:37:42 pm »
Almost done with Book 5 now, will not be happy to wait years for the next one though. :( Really enjoying this book, don't enjoy the Wall bits all that much but my favourite new house (if you'd call it that) is the Dornishmen. Really dislike Reek's chapters and I'm getting really bored with people getting raped constantly, in passing or otherwise. I know it's medieval and all that but the guys a bit too perverted really. That's my only moan, maybe I'm just feeling sensitive at the moment. Either way he needs to hurry the fuck up with book 6!!
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »
Stannis is the Rafa Benitez of Westeros.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 10:10:36 am »
Stannis is the Rafa Benitez of Westeros.

Not really seeing it..

Almost done with Book 5 now, will not be happy to wait years for the next one though. :( Really enjoying this book, don't enjoy the Wall bits all that much but my favourite new house (if you'd call it that) is the Dornishmen. Really dislike Reek's chapters and I'm getting really bored with people getting raped, in passing or otherwise. I know it's medieval and all that but the guys a bit too perverted really. That's my only moan, maybe I'm just feeling sensitive at the moment. Either way he needs to hurry the fuck up with book 6!!

Reek's chapters were probably my favourite in ADwD. It's all the chapters in Meereen that killed me. Dany is without a doubt my least favourite main character now.. including Arya, who's also not had much development for ages

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 10:18:09 am »
Not really seeing it..

Reek's chapters were probably my favourite in ADwD. It's all the chapters in Meereen that killed me. Dany is without a doubt my least favourite main character now.. including Arya, who's also not had much development for ages

Dany is going down in my estimations too, her chapters are just floundering really. Arya I'm still excited about, I think she'll end up a real badass in the end. I hope so anyway, nothing is that certain.

For anyone who has read all 5 can you answer this re Brienne? :

Spoiler
How come she's still alive? I thought Catelyn hung her and yet there she is now with Jaime in book 5?
[close]