Author Topic: Give Blood  (Read 23760 times)

Offline Nice Guy Davey

• Official Orange Wednesday supplier to JerseyKopite
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Can you imagine Doobiein your funk ?
Re: GIVE BLOOD!
« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »
Sure it will be fine mate. I've got two more weeks on the tablets and then the blood tests. I had been feeling rough for a while but the tablets have kicked in now and i'm much better. Don't mind the steak but I'll give the guinness a miss. Don't let any of this discourage anyone who's thinking of donating. Just go and do it   
Nunquam Solitari Ambulabitis

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
« Reply #361 on: September 2, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »
Was a regular donor and got persuaded to give plasma instead.  Mistake. Watched my blood going into the machine down the tubes and went into shock.  No more donor.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #362 on: September 3, 2014, 12:42:52 am »
I am going again tomorrow.  Haven't been in a while.  More people should definitely do it.  Its frustrating trying to get mates to sign up but they "don't like needles."  We'll see if their issues with needles prevents them getting a blood transfusion, if god forbid, they need one...
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: September 3, 2014, 09:47:55 am »
done, didnt andy from allerton say he wouldnt be an organ donor ? cant see the difference myself.

Offline glewis93

• Kopite
« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2014, 03:27:41 am »
Gave my first donation on Thursday but it's shocking to see how few people actually give. It's an amazing feeling when you're done and you know how much you've helped.

If you can give please at least look into it a bit more, such an important thing yet so simple to do.
Long Live Lucas Leiva!

Offline TwatMan

• ...rather than Batman. Politics all day and all night and then never really gets it, possibly never will
  • Anny Roader
  • I am vengeance, I am the night, I am Batman
« Reply #365 on: September 20, 2014, 03:46:41 am »
I'm 25 and I've given 7 times so far. I've picked up pace in the past 1 yr. Now giving every 3 months regularly. And if it's apherisis, it gets even better. You can donate it after 3 days itself.

Belonging to a rare blood group (O -ve) and also being the universal blood group, it gladdens me like anything to donate blood.
For Indians, there is a site called bloodhelpers.com, an easy, very quick and hassle free way to contact donors. Register you and your family too. I'm registered in that site and I'm being contacted for donation every week. So much demand, yet so less supply.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:49:16 am by The Dark Knight »
I am Batman

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #366 on: September 20, 2014, 09:47:11 am »
Was asked if i was interested in donating platelets when i went on Thursday, they took a sample to test and i should find out next week if i'm eligible.

More info here, for anyone interested: http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2014, 10:47:58 am »
Well done everyone, especially glewis93! Top Job!

My appt for today has been cancelled by the blood service due to staff illness. It's been put back to 6th Oct. I love giving blood...a small price to pay for people who really need it.

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:37 am »
I donated yesterday :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Give Blood!
« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2021, 01:29:26 pm »
Read before a poster saying that it wasn't as easy to give blood and I just wanted to create a new thread to say that it's been fine when I've been

There probably hasn't been a more important time to give blood and if you can then I'd encourage you to do so.

The setup and arrangements they have in place have made me very safe and very welcome.

Giving blood can really save someones life and today it's more important than every to do your bit if you can.

You can get further info here;   https://www.blood.co.uk/
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
Re: Give Blood!
« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2021, 02:03:55 pm »
I signed up ages ago but couldnt get an appointment that wasn't weeks away, because of work (delivery stuff) i just cant plan that far ahead as i wont know what days im working until later.

Obviously if you can plan ahead thats fine but there's lots of people scraping by with shitty work here and there so i would suggest having a place we could randomly drop in whenever would aid the likes of me to donate.

Nevertheless echo your post, get down if you can.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2021, 02:45:46 pm »
Read before a poster saying that it wasn't as easy to give blood and I just wanted to create a new thread to say that it's been fine when I've been

There probably hasn't been a more important time to give blood and if you can then I'd encourage you to do so.

The setup and arrangements they have in place have made me very safe and very welcome.

Giving blood can really save someones life and today it's more important than every to do your bit if you can.

To be fair if I remember right I think the poster wasn't saying it was difficult, just that a nurse made an odd statement.

But yes, it's been absolutely perfect on my visits this past year (to one usual location and two temporary). Definitely consider going, if you feel comfortable and have been before or would like to try start.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2021, 02:46:21 pm »

Maybe you have common blood but when you have super duper special blood like me then they have to take extra precautions so we don't mix with the common blood typers

In all seriousness though the last few times i have donated it has been a much longer and harder process to the point where they cancelled my wifes appointment at very short notice last year ( Common blood type) . I think everyone where they can should try and donate and think it's a good thread you have started even if it just encourages one person

Don't get me started on them no longer doing hot drinks mind  :-\

And call me by my name you wankers
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2021, 02:59:01 pm »
Coincidentally just had my text message saying which hospital my donation on 5 February was used at.

Love that addition in recent years

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2021, 03:02:05 pm »
I've just registered and booked an appointment on the back of this thread.  Been meaning to for a while but never got round to it for one reason or another.

Soonest appointment in Liverpool is 16th of June!
Believer

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2021, 03:04:43 pm »
Coincidentally just had my text message saying which hospital my donation on 5 February was used at.

Love that addition in recent years

Snap . St George's Hospital In London this time
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2021, 03:04:57 pm »
Was hoping this would be a 'Why its shit to give blood' or 'The worst blood mobiles in England' or 'If you give blood it gets given to aliens who control PGMOL' thread.

Disappointing.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2021, 03:05:36 pm »
Maybe you have common blood but when you have super duper special blood like me then they have to take extra precautions so we don't mix with the common blood typers

In all seriousness though the last few times i have donated it has been a much longer and harder process to the point where they cancelled my wifes appointment at very short notice last year ( Common blood type) . I think everyone where they can should try and donate and think it's a good thread you have started even if it just encourages one person

Don't get me started on them no longer doing hot drinks mind  :-\

And call me by my name you wankers

:)

Nothing to do with you mate. Just wanted to get the word out there and your post gave me a jog as I'm due to be contacted again this week.

Personally I've been a few times during this whole Covid thing and it's been run really well and has taken the same amount of time as normal..

I've got O RhD- by the way, Universal Donor, so they are usually pretty keen to get a pint off me :)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2021, 03:06:56 pm »
Was hoping this would be a 'Why its shit to give blood' or 'The worst blood mobiles in England' or 'If you give blood it gets given to aliens who control PGMOL' thread.

Disappointing.

Sorry about that :(

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2021, 03:08:30 pm »
I signed up ages ago but couldnt get an appointment that wasn't weeks away, because of work (delivery stuff) i just cant plan that far ahead as i wont know what days im working until later.

Obviously if you can plan ahead thats fine but there's lots of people scraping by with shitty work here and there so i would suggest having a place we could randomly drop in whenever would aid the likes of me to donate.

Nevertheless echo your post, get down if you can.

It's a very outdated system nowadays .

When i first started going with my mum we used to just turn up and donate at the site but nowadays it's all appointments . Been saying for years they need to open designated places that operate constantly so people can pop in when they can and like you say not everyone can plan ahead

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:49 pm »

Nothing to do with you mate. Just wanted to get the word out there and your post gave me a jog as I'm due to be contacted again this week.

Personally I've been a few times during this whole Covid thing and it's been run really well and has taken the same amount of time as normal..

I've got O RhD- by the way, Universal Donor, so they are usually pretty keen to get a pint off me :)

Snap

First time i went during covid there were very few donors as they had cancelled most people unless they had certain types of blood so i was in and out super quick . I went last week and it was a absolute nightmare waiting time

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2021, 03:19:04 pm »
Snap

First time i went during covid there were very few donors as they had cancelled most people unless they had certain types of blood so i was in and out super quick . I went last week and it was a absolute nightmare waiting time

Haha another O neg here. Mine got used at University College Hospital in London

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2021, 03:21:55 pm »
Haha another O neg here. Mine got used at University College Hospital in London

Seems common as hell on here , must be a Rawk thing as i thought only about 5 or 6 % had it !! ;D

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2021, 05:49:15 pm »

Hopefully the donation service have more success at this than your mates.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2021, 06:33:17 pm »
Seems common as hell on here , must be a Rawk thing as i thought only about 5 or 6 % had it !! ;D
Think we've got ourselves a classic case of selection bias here mate ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2021, 09:35:38 pm »
Hopefully the donation service have more success at this than your mates.

:lmao

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2021, 10:31:31 pm »
This is an honest question.

Will you need to have a ' freedom passport ' to give blood ?

They say there is no way to pass the virus on through blood transmission, so you should be good.

They have a few places around South Liverpool, I've been going to the social thingy on Heath Road

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: February 17, 2021, 12:07:35 am »
This is an honest question.

Will you need to have a ' freedom passport ' to give blood ?

Freedom passports don't exist, blood donation does exist.

Currently you do not need to have a non-existent freedom passport to donate.

I forgot my non-existent freedom passport when I went two weeks ago, and noone seemed to notice it wasn't present.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #388 on: February 17, 2021, 09:28:53 am »
Still annoyed they don't do hot drinks at the moment

I used to like my cup of coffee that didn't remotely taste nice , packet of Seabrook Crisps , a club biscuit and some custard creams

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #389 on: February 17, 2021, 11:38:30 pm »
Still annoyed they don't do hot drinks at the moment

I used to like my cup of coffee that didn't remotely taste nice , packet of Seabrook Crisps , a club biscuit and some custard creams

Yeah I liked the coffee and biccy.

Having to wolf down a pint of water just before you give is funny too. I used to have a pint before I left the house..

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #390 on: September 28, 2021, 03:58:54 pm »
Just donated this afternoon and been asked about doing the " Our Future Health " research programme and been given a booklet about it , anybody else had the same .

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2021, 07:05:55 am »
I used to be a regular blood donor back in the UK, it's annoying that they won't let me donate here in Aus.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2021, 12:56:24 pm »
I used to be a regular blood donor back in the UK, it's annoying that they won't let me donate here in Aus.
#

How come you're not allowed

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: July 25, 2022, 01:15:20 pm »
Fantastic news down here in Oz with regards to people who've lived in the UK in the 80's & 90's now being eligible to donate.

I've got so many friends who've been hindered by this and are now ready to roll up their sleeves,

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-25/end-to-two-decades-long-mad-cow-ban-allows-for-more-blood-donors/101265116
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #394 on: July 25, 2022, 01:50:43 pm »
Fantastic news down here in Oz with regards to people who've lived in the UK in the 80's & 90's now being eligible to donate.

I've got so many friends who've been hindered by this and are now ready to roll up their sleeves,

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-25/end-to-two-decades-long-mad-cow-ban-allows-for-more-blood-donors/101265116

Nice

I'm due to give again next week.

If you don't donate, think about it.

If you do - you're awesome! Who's awesome?!  YOU ARE!

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: July 25, 2022, 06:53:24 pm »
I gave blood a couple of weeks ago. It's a good feeling to know that an hour out of your day might have helped save a life. Do it!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:26 am »
I started a couple of months back, give my next pint in 3 weeks.

Do it everyone. Wish I hadn't have waited until I was 40 to do so
Nah.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Give blood!
« Reply #397 on: November 19, 2022, 03:49:05 pm »

If you can then please get out there and you could literally save someones life!

https://www.blood.co.uk/

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Give blood!
« Reply #398 on: November 20, 2022, 09:25:59 am »
And plan ahead. Even if there's various locations where you live the appointments available can often be two weeks or more away.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: January 3, 2024, 01:52:30 pm »
I donated for the 25th time before Christmas and received a badge and certificate today.

Get out there and donate folks.