Author Topic: City/Cities that you absolutely hate  (Read 62465 times)

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: City/Cities that you absolutely hate
« Reply #760 on: September 28, 2023, 01:30:24 pm »
According to a television programme I watched, the toilets are not meant to be up to much in Naples.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2023, 04:36:17 pm »
This is perhaps not the correct thread, but maybe as close as it gets.

I've never been to Dubai or the UAE, and I've never been interested in going. I just don't get the reasons why people would go there on holidays? I checked Wikipedia and it said the number one reason is for shopping? Really? It just seems like a Las Vegas without the gambling and some narrow-minded laws to boot?

This.

Don’t really understand the attraction.

Had a layover there once. Wouldn’t go for a holiday.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #762 on: September 28, 2023, 04:39:48 pm »
This.

Don’t really understand the attraction.

Had a layover there once. Wouldn’t go for a holiday.

What did you think of KL mate?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: September 28, 2023, 04:40:47 pm »
Ive done exactly the same, we went to Bratislava in November, Ive never been so cold. It seemed a really miserable place.  Quite liked Vienna the pubs were friendlier and I liked the coffee shops with cake, they seemed historic and grand.

Berlin - Ive lived and worked in "third world" and used to a lack of facilities, but their attitude  was as bad as their beer.  Ive never been so happy to get on a flight home with British cabin crew.

I found Bratislava dull, solemn, even depressing during the day.

At night it was friendly, lively and really boss nightlife. Food was terrible though.

Love Berlin and other German cities I’ve been to.

Most underwhelming places Iive been are Barcelona, Amsterdam, Boston. Been all of them more than once and whilst I don’t mind any of them they are massively over rated by some people, IMO. To some degree I think Los Angeles is like that also.

The most disappointing or underwhelming attraction I’ve been to is the Northern lights.

EDIT: Oslo also. Most boring place on earth. Loads of other better Scandinavian cities to visit 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 04:42:59 pm by Jookie »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #764 on: September 28, 2023, 04:42:43 pm »
I was in Rome recently, found the centre an absolute dump to be honest
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: September 28, 2023, 04:44:05 pm »
I was in Rome recently, found the centre an absolute dump to be honest

Had a flying 24 hour visit, its so historical, a tourists wet dream

Shame about the food
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: September 28, 2023, 04:45:38 pm »
What did you think of KL mate?

I quite liked it for a few days stop over. 1st time I e taken kids to SE Asia so it was an eye opener for them to see a very different culture. Loved the food tours we did plus places like Batu Caves.

Spent rest of the time in various parts of Borneo. Was a truly amazing experience. One of the best places I’ve ever been.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: September 28, 2023, 04:47:33 pm »
I quite liked it for a few days stop over. 1st time I e taken kids to SE Asia so it was an eye opener for them to see a very different culture. Loved the food tours we did plus places like Batu Caves.

Spent rest of the time in various parts of Borneo. Was a truly amazing experience. One of the best places I’ve ever been.

Lived there for years and to my regret, never got to Borneo

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: September 28, 2023, 04:50:38 pm »
Had a flying 24 hour visit, its so historical, a tourists wet dream

Shame about the food
ended up in McNasty's, through a combination of a narky kid and poor hygiene as well as lack of proper hand washing facilities and toilets elsewhere, not that McNasty's was much better

The Airport was impressive but pricey, some nice sights but I wouldnt rush back, Paris was streets ahead for me

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: September 28, 2023, 05:16:42 pm »
Lived there for years and to my regret, never got to Borneo

KL must have been a nice place to live.

Clean, friendly, safe. Really nice pace of life but within a vibrant city with amazing wildlife and natural beauty close by in the rest of Malaysia

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #770 on: September 28, 2023, 05:25:13 pm »
Surprised by the dislike of Naples.

I think people get this idea about places in the Med being mostly geared for holidays, and then you get to Naples and as you say, it's a working port city. Full size, ugly in places and dirty, and full of people very much not interested in your vacation there. Our first venture outside of the hotel, just 5 minutes away on foot, saw us walk past homeless folk pulling binbags open scavenging for food.

I grew up in the countryside and don't much care for big cities in general, so the excursions out along the rest of the bay were a delight, and I was much less happy about having to find somewhere for dinner in the city.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: September 28, 2023, 05:48:16 pm »
KL must have been a nice place to live.

Clean, friendly, safe. Really nice pace of life but within a vibrant city with amazing wildlife and natural beauty close by in the rest of Malaysia

It was mate, Ive lived in Bangkok, Phuket Singapore and KL  and KL was my favourite. It has less to do than the others, but the people are nicer IMO and its the cheapest.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #772 on: September 29, 2023, 10:36:17 am »
Blackpool , utter shitehole , if ever a place needed knocked down and rebuilt from scratch .The beach looked nice they should start from there .
Thought Blackpool is a nice place?
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #773 on: September 29, 2023, 10:40:45 am »
It’s a dump, sad to see and it’s not the only seaside resort that’s totally rundown and in serious need of investment.

There’s so many boarded up stores/units/hotels and particularly down the south end an awful lot of borded up housing.
AHA!

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: September 29, 2023, 10:46:34 am »
It’s a dump, sad to see and it’s not the only seaside resort that’s totally rundown and in serious need of investment.

There’s so many boarded up stores/units/hotels and particularly down the south end an awful lot of borded up housing.

Southport getting that vibe when I work that way

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #775 on: September 29, 2023, 10:53:42 am »
Thought Blackpool is a nice place?
No, it's a seriously depressing place. One of the most deprived towns in the UK. It's listed as the most dangerous town in Lancashire with a crime rate 193% higher than the North West average and 96% higher than the England, Wales and Northern Ireland overall figure.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 10:55:15 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: September 29, 2023, 10:54:41 am »
Southport getting that vibe when I work that way
Southport has declined too. Nowhere near as bad as Blackpool, though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: September 29, 2023, 11:04:17 am »
No, it's a seriously depressing place. One of the most deprived towns in the UK. It's listed as the most dangerous town in Lancashire with a crime rate 193% higher than the North West average and 96% higher than the England, Wales and Northern Ireland overall figure.
I thought you were making that up and then I googled it myself.

- As of 2023, the crime rate in Blackpool is 193% higher than the North West and 96% higher than the England, Wales & Northern Ireland overall figure.

Source: https://crimerate.co.uk/lancashire/blackpool

Okay I am not British and I'm just asking, no offence to your people here and I mean it in an honest way.

How the feck on earth in one place within the territory of United Kingdom, could have 96% higher crime rates than the wwhhoooollleee England, Wales & Northern Ireland overall figure combined??!!

Is that a mistake in statistic or something? No way... right? Mathematically. Jesus.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: September 29, 2023, 11:04:43 am »
Both Geneva and Zurich are overly expensive, quite rundown outside a few areas and pretty bad food. Spent quite a bit of time on both for work and have family in Switzerland.
We stayed in the Pâquis district of Geneva a few years ago. Rather seedy, and turns out it's the red light area, but we quite liked it. Never felt unsafe there at all. It surprised me though, because it did conflict with my preconceived ideas of what Switzerland/Geneva would be like.

It was great being by the Geneva Water Fountain. Something I remember from watching The Champions TV series as a kid.  :)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: September 29, 2023, 11:06:45 am »

- As of 2023, the crime rate in Blackpool is 193% higher than the North West and 96% higher than the England, Wales & Northern Ireland overall figure.

Okay I am not British and I'm just asking, no offence to your people here and I mean it in an honest way.

How the feck on earth in one place within the territory of United Kingdom, could have 96% higher crime rates than the wwhhoooollleee England, Wales & Northern Ireland overall figure combined??!!

Is that a mistake in statistic or something? No way... right? Mathematically. Jesus.

It's per capita, so the cime rate is proportionally 96% higher.

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: September 29, 2023, 11:08:49 am »
It's per capita, so the cime rate is proportionally 96% higher.
Aaahh, I see. Thanks mate. Appreciate that.  :butt  :butt  Bloody hell. That's a bit depressing, isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:10:53 am by NarutoReds »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: September 29, 2023, 11:09:56 am »
Never been in any city I've hated. Naturally, there's some places that don't bring me joy. But to hate a city is to say (food, culture, people) repulse you.

My home towns of Dublin (dirty, tough) and Sydney (expensive, superficial) are still some of the best places on the planet for the myriad of other joys they bring to their residents and visitors.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:15:01 am by BarryCrocker »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: September 29, 2023, 11:19:16 am »

I imagine it's worked out as crimes per head of population.*

A lot of seaside towns have big social problems in the UK. Blackpool itself is a very deprived area of the country. There's a big drug problem there. It's not alone on that one, of course. It will import a lot of crime in summertime too, with the influx of people from all over the UK who struggle to behave once pissed. Once the season is over and the lights have been switched off, it can be a very bleak place.

Seaside towns are weird though. We used to holiday on the Yorkshire coast when I was a lad. Scarborough, Whitby, Filey, Bridlington etc. I went back to Scarborough in the 90s with my then girlfriend for a few nights away. One night we came out of our lovely guest house overlooking the harbour and the locals were raiding a skip for planks of wood to fight each other with. Others were coming out of nearby homes with golf clubs to join in the pitched battle going on in the street. I'd never even seen the likes of that in Liverpool.

* Elmo! beat me to it.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:21:27 am by Son of Spion »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #783 on: September 29, 2023, 11:35:21 am »
I'm with Pistolero on this. Much prefer Madrid to Barcelona. Madrid is a city I keep returning to whereas I can take or leave Barcelona. In my experience Madrid is a far more relaxed and friendly city all round.

I live in Barcelona and absolutely love it.

The thing with Barcelona is the tourist trail is ridiculously localised. The centre is beautiful, but the likes of Gotico for example are pretty much devoid of locals. Also, La Rambla is my least favourite street in the entire city and I avoid it like the plague. Why that is considered one of the "big things" to do in the Barcelona tourist guides is beyond me. But there is a whole city that most tourists don't even begin to see. Every barrio here has a distinct identity and flavour, and even the barrios more towards the outskirts (where I live) are just as lively as anywhere in the centre. And its so easy and cheap to get around - you'll never have to be on a metro more than 20 minutes. It's also a great city to cycle and walk around, and it is also so easy to esacape the city here and head up the coasts on the weekend.

Problem with Madrid is it is much more car dominated, the barrios away from the centre are less distinct and take much longer to get to, the summers regularly reach 40c+, the winters can still be freezing, and it is about as far from the sea as you can get in Spain.

I do agree with Madrid being friendlier though. It also has lovely parks, which we don't have in Barcelona (although with the climate they shouldn't really have them in Madrid either...). Also, it helps that the Madrid tourist sites are scattered across the larger central area which helps decentralise the tourism a bit and gets people to see more of the city.

On the laid back thing, it's a strange one. Madrid is a much bigger city, but I agree it does feel more laid back. I think this is because the roads are wider to accomodate more cars, whereas Barcelona is much more densely populated with many more narrow streets so it often feels busy.

Personally I like them both, but to live in Barcelona would be my only choice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:37:37 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #784 on: September 29, 2023, 05:51:17 pm »
Skopje - absolute total shit hole

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #785 on: September 29, 2023, 05:58:58 pm »
I dont much like Edinburgh, its doesn't have any of the things that make Glasgow great

I was very unimpressed with Edinburgh, but it was a very quick visit, so didn’t have a whole lot to go on. Problem is, I’m just not in a rush to go back being as I was so unimpressed with what I did see  :P   

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #786 on: September 29, 2023, 06:58:37 pm »
I was very unimpressed with Edinburgh, but it was a very quick visit, so didn’t have a whole lot to go on. Problem is, I’m just not in a rush to go back being as I was so unimpressed with what I did see  :P   

Where abouts did you stay/see? Always enjoyed a trip to Edinburgh. Very walkable and loads of interesting things to see around the centre.

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: October 3, 2023, 11:25:42 am »
Sheffield - too many hills
London - overrated, over priced and over populated
Sheffield - because it's too many hills? I saw a lot of hills in Austria and they make the place look pretty, mate...

I love hills.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #788 on: October 3, 2023, 11:58:26 am »
Agree fully with Blackpool. On a weekend night, it's as close to my idea of hell as I could realistically get to. Spent a New Year's Eve there once. I hate NYE's generally, but that was one of the worst and most depressing.

I'll throw in Stoke. Had to check it's an actual city, and it is. Fuck knows why. It's the most depressing place I've ever seen. I've told the story before, but had a nasty incident there when I was about 19/20, that almost had me and my mates carved up by a group of about two dozen knuckle-draggers. Whilst we (apart from the driver) were on LSD. Ended with a police escort out of the place.

Almost as grim is Bradford.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #789 on: October 3, 2023, 12:12:20 pm »
Visited Kyiv for a few days about 5 years ago. The place itself is fine but the people not so much. I've never experienced racism like that before. I had people blatantly saying racial slurs whilst walking down the street and the amount of people who kept trying to touch my daughters hair was mind blowing, It's a miracle I got out of that shit hole without been arrested.

I remember when Russia invaded and watched on the news the uproar about how they wasn't letting Africans leave and the mrs looked at me and said I'm not surprised at all.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: October 3, 2023, 12:49:38 pm »
Yeah I was in Blackpool last year for a few hours and that was enough

My Wifes parents go for a few days every year, lord knows how they do it

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #791 on: October 3, 2023, 01:06:37 pm »
Bristol is a great city in the daytime, but on a weekend night there's a horrible mix of their insufferable hipster population, chavvies from the surrounding shitholes and Hooray Henry types from the posh bits and the county.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #792 on: October 3, 2023, 01:52:29 pm »
Bristol is a great city in the daytime, but on a weekend night there's a horrible mix of their insufferable hipster population, chavvies from the surrounding shitholes and Hooray Henry types from the posh bits and the county.

That’s the same with most bigger cities isn’t it? I went to uni there, literally in a different millennium now (fuck!) and it was always a bit moody on a Saturday night with the locals out. Was back there last year on a Saturday. That King St bit was absolutely rammed, didn’t either bother with it. Presumably there’s nicer bits to still go out in if you steer clear of the waterfront/city centre bits?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: October 3, 2023, 02:17:58 pm »
I was in London in summer and caught up with a old friend, and she went for 10 night trip to Naples, Capri and Sicily, she was absolute scathing at how dirty and grotty Naples was.

The tv show Gomorrah doesn't promote Naples as a great holiday destination though. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: October 3, 2023, 02:40:32 pm »
Blackpool is an absolute shithole in the centre, the outskirts by the airport look really nice though.

I did my Class 2 HGV training out of Preston in 2006, the test was at Kirkham, so did lessons in Blackpool, Sunday morning pissed up hens and stags wandering around looking like shit and locals looking like the dog has shit in their Breakfast, awful depressing place. Missus always liked it, so 2 years later, when the eldest was about 4 weeks old, we had a day out there as it was her Birthday - I didn't want to go, but the day was OK, right until the baby needed changing. Goes in a toilet with baby changing facilities, there's a fucking sharps bin in there and junkies blood on the floor :no.  Her and her mate took the kids to Blackpool last year, said she'll never go back.

Went up to Teesport on Saturday, there are two ways to get there, I went in on the A66, you go along a flyover through the town centre, looked grim and filthy. CAme back out on the A174 and its all fields and trees and looks lovely, I'll use that way in future.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2023, 02:46:45 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #795 on: October 3, 2023, 02:42:51 pm »
I was in London in summer and caught up with a old friend, and she went for 10 night trip to Naples, Capri and Sicily, she was absolute scathing at how dirty and grotty Naples was.

The tv show Gomorrah doesn't promote Naples as a great holiday destination though. :D

It was a stop on our cruise a few years ago. The only 'official' excursion we booked was to Pompeii.

I thought Pompeii was in better nick than Naples.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: October 3, 2023, 02:55:36 pm »

I'll throw in Stoke. Had to check it's an actual city, and it is.

This made me chuckle, whats the name of their Footy team again?

Just kidding Nobby  :-*

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: October 3, 2023, 03:10:14 pm »
This made me chuckle, whats the name of their Footy team again?

Just kidding Nobby  :-*

That got me thinking about my mates club, St Albans City. I'd always thought of St Albans as a town, its gor a smaller population than Southport, not long ago it was smaller than Kirkby - weird to think its a City
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: October 3, 2023, 03:28:31 pm »
That got me thinking about my mates club, St Albans City. I'd always thought of St Albans as a town, its gor a smaller population than Southport, not long ago it was smaller than Kirkby - weird to think its a City

One of my Uni mates comes from Welwyn Garden City which is near St Albans
We would sometimes go there for a pint, Cant believe thats a City, some nice Historic pubs though

Ironically the afore mention Welwyn Garden City is a town

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: October 3, 2023, 03:29:03 pm »
I was in Bristol on a stag last year and loved it, we all did.