Author Topic: City/Cities that you absolutely hate  (Read 62467 times)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Re: City/Cities that you absolutely hate
« Reply #720 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
Brussels does not have a French speaking part - it is bi-lingual ;)
I think you'll find that 90% speak French 99% of the time and English 1%.The other 10% will be the Flemish speakers...

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #721 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:36 pm »
This is perhaps not the correct thread, but maybe as close as it gets.

I've never been to Dubai or the UAE, and I've never been interested in going. I just don't get the reasons why people would go there on holidays? I checked Wikipedia and it said the number one reason is for shopping? Really? It just seems like a Las Vegas without the gambling and some narrow-minded laws to boot?
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:12 pm »

I've never been to Dubai or the UAE, and I've never been interested in going. I just don't get the reasons why people would go there on holidays? I checked Wikipedia and it said the number one reason is for shopping? Really? It just seems like a Las Vegas without the gambling and some narrow-minded laws to boot?

The place is pretty much built on slave labour as well.  For that reason alone I never want to go there.

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #723 on: August 13, 2014, 03:28:48 pm »

That's reasonably accurate.  Any major European city has shopping that's just as good, if not better.  Any random Caribbean island has better beaches.  For me, the only real appeal is the architecture, and as said, that was built basically with slave labor.

It's worth seeing once, I suppose.  Book a flight to Southeast Asia via Emirates and you may get a 12 hour+ layover in Dubai.  More than enough time to spend there, for me.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:08 am »
I think you'll find that 90% speak French 99% of the time and English 1%.The other 10% will be the Flemish speakers...
Pretty accurate. Although most of the real 'Brusseleers' speak Flemish (imo the juiciest dialect of Belgium).
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: August 22, 2014, 10:46:23 am »
Luton. :wave

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #726 on: September 27, 2023, 08:05:02 am »
Dont hate it, but I wouldnt rush back to Barcelona...been there a few times and although ive e joyed it, overall its never really 'clicked' for me in the way that Madrid or Valencia have....not sure why...maybe expectations have been too high
Pardon me, but I thought Barcelona is boss, mate? It's boring compared to Madrid?
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #727 on: September 27, 2023, 08:39:34 am »
Luton. :wave

Luton is disowned by the surrounding area. In Bucks and Herts, there are very few signposts to Luton, even in places where it is the closest big town. There’ll be signs to Watford, Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, but no Luton.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: September 27, 2023, 08:56:40 am »
Berlin. The facilities for and attitude towards disabled people is the worst Ive experienced globally.

Aside from that its very underwhelming with really shit beer.

Sharajah.  Cant even get a drink in Hotels  Tall uninspiring buildings, it offers nothing.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #729 on: September 27, 2023, 09:08:12 am »
nbvbj

I stand by this. Never going back.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: September 27, 2023, 10:30:12 am »
Berlin. The facilities for and attitude towards disabled people is the worst Ive experienced globally.

Aside from that its very underwhelming with really shit beer.

Sharajah.  Cant even get a drink in Hotels  Tall uninspiring buildings, it offers nothing.

I absolutely love Berlin - but obviously don't have experience of it from a disability access point of view.

I spent a day in Vienna and for some reason I just didn't take to it. Probably was just the mood I was in that day and the fact it was raining but I couldn't wait to leave (we had taken the train from Bratislava on a day trip).

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #731 on: September 27, 2023, 10:37:51 am »
I too think Berlin is pretty dull. Lots of history, but the nightlife tends to attract the terminally mid-level hip and it takes months to travel around it.

I did live in Hamburg though, which is great and a historic rival, so probably due to that.

Paris is a shithole.

Had to spend a few hours waiting for a minibus home from a week at cadets camp in Peterborough as a teenager and my God it's the least interesting place I've ever been, it's dismal, such that I want Peterborough United to lose.

Basel isn't great, certainly compared to the rest of Switzerland. Bit of a concrete jungle.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: September 27, 2023, 10:45:23 am »
I absolutely love Berlin - but obviously don't have experience of it from a disability access point of view.

I spent a day in Vienna and for some reason I just didn't take to it. Probably was just the mood I was in that day and the fact it was raining but I couldn't wait to leave (we had taken the train from Bratislava on a day trip).

Ive done exactly the same, we went to Bratislava in November, Ive never been so cold. It seemed a really miserable place.  Quite liked Vienna the pubs were friendlier and I liked the coffee shops with cake, they seemed historic and grand.

Berlin - Ive lived and worked in "third world" and used to a lack of facilities, but their attitude  was as bad as their beer.  Ive never been so happy to get on a flight home with British cabin crew.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #733 on: September 27, 2023, 11:34:48 am »
I was eating kebab in the middle of Paris last two weeks, at the restaurant owned by a Turkish.

When I was eating, I put my phone charged with a power bank on top of my table.

Then suddenly the waiter poked me from behind and told me to put my phone down / hide it to avoid from being grabbed by a runner and he warned me about pickpockets around too.

Fucking hell, Paris. Hahahahhaa.  ;D  ;D

Don't get me wrong, I love Paris vibe and the buildings architecture there though.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: September 27, 2023, 11:40:15 am »
Ive done exactly the same, we went to Bratislava in November, Ive never been so cold. It seemed a really miserable place.  Quite liked Vienna the pubs were friendlier and I liked the coffee shops with cake, they seemed historic and grand.

Berlin - Ive lived and worked in "third world" and used to a lack of facilities, but their attitude  was as bad as their beer.  Ive never been so happy to get on a flight home with British cabin crew.

I actually quite liked Bratislava - as long as you don't spend too much time there. A week is far too long, there's not enough to do (hence doing day trips to Vienna and Budapest).

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: September 27, 2023, 01:26:40 pm »
Luton is disowned by the surrounding area. In Bucks and Herts, there are very few signposts to Luton, even in places where it is the closest big town. There’ll be signs to Watford, Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, but no Luton.
I live in Buckinghamshire and agree it's never well advertised. Just delete it off the map. Miserable shit hole and the town centre is the worst place I've ever been.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: September 27, 2023, 03:13:37 pm »
I live in Buckinghamshire and agree it's never well advertised. Just delete it off the map. Miserable shit hole and the town centre is the worst place I've ever been.

Breeding ground for BNP and their ilk. Sister in laws ex is from Luton and he's a prick
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: September 27, 2023, 03:33:17 pm »
Pardon me, but I thought Barcelona is boss, mate? It's boring compared to Madrid?

I'm with Pistolero on this. Much prefer Madrid to Barcelona. Madrid is a city I keep returning to whereas I can take or leave Barcelona. In my experience Madrid is a far more relaxed and friendly city all round.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #738 on: September 27, 2023, 03:40:22 pm »
I'm with Pistolero on this. Much prefer Madrid to Barcelona. Madrid is a city I keep returning to whereas I can take or leave Barcelona. In my experience Madrid is a far more relaxed and friendly city all round.

I'm the opposite, not really struck by Madrid (except when we won the CL!) but have been to Barcelona 6 or 7 times.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: September 27, 2023, 05:51:21 pm »
Me and the wife spent 5 nights in Naples back in 2016 and I have to say from the small bit of the city I saw it's a shithole. It was filthy with rubbish everywhere. There's just streets backed up onto streets and it's literally one knick-knack shop on top of another. Seemed like every shop sold mobile phones and jewellery and other assorted shite. There wasn't a good vibe about the place either. I was watching Gomorrah around this time and it really felt like how the place is shown in that. Just dark and moody. The hotel was nice enough and was near some museums but if you head into the city it's really not a nice experience. We will return to Italy someday but I won't be anywhere near Naples. Horrible place!!
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: September 27, 2023, 06:11:59 pm »
Me and the wife spent 5 nights in Naples back in 2016 and I have to say from the small bit of the city I saw it's a shithole. It was filthy with rubbish everywhere. There's just streets backed up onto streets and it's literally one knick-knack shop on top of another. Seemed like every shop sold mobile phones and jewellery and other assorted shite. There wasn't a good vibe about the place either. I was watching Gomorrah around this time and it really felt like how the place is shown in that. Just dark and moody. The hotel was nice enough and was near some museums but if you head into the city it's really not a nice experience. We will return to Italy someday but I won't be anywhere near Naples. Horrible place!!

Isnt there some issue regarding the council and the mafia that causes these issues.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: September 27, 2023, 08:45:07 pm »
Dundee

Or known up here as Scumdee

Dundee - the whole city is a shit hole

glasgow - not all of the city just certain places like pollockshileds/govan/maryhill

I was in Dundee one day in June and recorded this bloke.

I had no idea who he was and later that day Googled "Dundee busker" and there's loads of stuff online about him.  He's known as "Fast Eddie" and he's been up in Court loads of times for harassing members of public, shouting racial abuse at folk and generally being a drunken arsehole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QonNHLuuAek

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: September 27, 2023, 08:58:27 pm »
Dundee is great these days, and I say that as an Aberdonian. They've really turned the place around the last few years, unlike our shambles of a council that has pissed all the oil  money up the wall over the decades.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: September 27, 2023, 09:04:09 pm »
I dont much like Edinburgh, its doesn't have any of the things that make Glasgow great

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: September 27, 2023, 09:04:48 pm »
I dont much like Edinburgh, its doesn't have any of the things that make Glasgow great

Agreed on that, Edinburgh is pretty but Glasgow is a far, far superior city.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: September 27, 2023, 09:07:40 pm »
Phnom Penh - I try to erase from my memory some of the things I seen on the streets walking around in the evening/early morning. Seemed a lot more lawless than any city I can remember visiting. 
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: September 27, 2023, 09:22:31 pm »
My fav 2 places to go when I visit Edinburgh are Dean Village and Leith.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: September 27, 2023, 09:44:32 pm »
Stirling is a shithole these days. Used to enjoy days and nights out there, but it really has went downhill big time recently, which is a huge shame.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: September 27, 2023, 09:47:57 pm »
Both Geneva and Zurich are overly expensive, quite rundown outside a few areas and pretty bad food. Spent quite a bit of time on both for work and have family in Switzerland.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #749 on: September 27, 2023, 10:02:33 pm »
Both Geneva and Zurich are overly expensive, quite rundown outside a few areas and pretty bad food. Spent quite a bit of time on both for work and have family in Switzerland.

I found Genevans to be grumpy and unfriendly and Zurich(ions?) the opposite.

Didn't speak to any Baselonians.
Kill the humourless

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #750 on: September 27, 2023, 11:15:06 pm »
Naples

Agree on Naples, we were there a few weeks back, it's a proper dump. We went there direct from Florence, which was a lot more charming! Still, the hotel was cheap and near the station, which got us down to Vesuvius and like quite conveniently. I'd stay anywhere else in the region if you can afford it though.

And closer to home I can't stand Glasgow, it's so depressing to approach via motorway. Just endless grey loops of junctions and stretches of up to 5 or 6 lanes to work your way across. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather be driving into Birmingham. I've only properly visited once, but I have to head to some sites in the area for work and I hate it.

Luton

Luton isn't a city, so all complaints in this thread are invalid!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #751 on: September 27, 2023, 11:17:23 pm »
The train to Bratislava comes soon

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #752 on: September 27, 2023, 11:23:36 pm »
You get a pretty good view of Parkjead driving round the never ending motorway into/around Glasgow at least. Feels like a proper big city which not many places in the UK do (not necessarily a good thing but enjoyed my rare visits there!).

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2023, 07:04:13 am »
Rotherham, im still scarred from one night there in the late 80s. No guest houses or hotels to be found anywhere, had to stay in a doss house that had wires hanging out of the walls and brown butter in a dish. I slept in my coat on top of the bed, used my bag as a pillow then we got up at 5 and found a Little Chef. Luckily the night before we found a pub that did lock ins and we stayed in there till 1ish so we could put off going to the shithole.

In those days we only got a tenner for digs so even if there was a hotel we were buggered.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: September 28, 2023, 09:07:15 am »
Dublin has the worst chippies in the World

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: September 28, 2023, 10:07:55 am »
Dublin has the worst chippies in the World

Leo Burdock's in Christchurch has been banging out decent chips for about 110 years.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: September 28, 2023, 10:11:49 am »
Leo Burdock's in Christchurch has been banging out decent chips for about 110 years.

They would be cold by the time I got home.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #757 on: September 28, 2023, 10:36:42 am »
Surprised by the dislike of Naples. It’s definitely a bit rough & ready. It’s got the same working port vibe of Liverpool, Glasgow or Belfast. Away from the port there are amazing, beautiful things to see. Unlike Rome, though, it closes in the afternoon. Come out in the evening for dinner and a wander and it’s vibrant. As mentioned, it’s also got Pompeii and Herculaneum nearby and a short trip to Amalfi or Capri.

Unfortunately I am not paid by the Naples Tourism Board.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #758 on: September 28, 2023, 12:30:31 pm »
Surprised by the dislike of Naples. It’s definitely a bit rough & ready. It’s got the same working port vibe of Liverpool, Glasgow or Belfast. Away from the port there are amazing, beautiful things to see. Unlike Rome, though, it closes in the afternoon. Come out in the evening for dinner and a wander and it’s vibrant. As mentioned, it’s also got Pompeii and Herculaneum nearby and a short trip to Amalfi or Capri.

Unfortunately I am not paid by the Naples Tourism Board.
I was there in summer for a day but didnt last long due to a grumpy kid

there is two different ports, one near Sorrento and its nice around there, there is also a more central one which is just a kip of an area
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: September 28, 2023, 12:37:47 pm »
It’s definitely a bit rough & ready.

Rough and ready places are usually more interesting and more fun
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "