Author Topic: City/Cities that you absolutely hate  (Read 62468 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: City/Cities that you absolutely hate
« Reply #640 on: July 18, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »
Dont hate it, but I wouldnt rush back to Barcelona...been there a few times and although ive e joyed it, overall its never really 'clicked' for me in the way that Madrid or Valencia have....not sure why...maybe expectations have been too high
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #641 on: July 18, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
Yeah my feeling exactly. I know it's biased because I used to live there but I far prefer Malaga to Barcelona.

That said, this time next week I'll be in Barcelona

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #642 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
Barcelona is boss, dunno how people could actually hate being there.

Great weather, sound people, some amazing architecture and scenery and a relaxed atmosphere plus it's reasonably safe.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #643 on: July 18, 2014, 05:59:55 pm »
Apart from pick pocketing, very safe.

Suppose i'm biased. Love Spanish culture and even more Catalan culture. Like Madrid a lot but prefer Barcelona by a long way. Suppose after about 40 visits i'd be wasting my time if i didn't like it, but i prefer to stay away as much as possible from the tourist shite and immerse myself into the city. Not that i don't do the odd tourist thing, September trip will hopefully include a visit to the newly re-opened modernisme Hospitals Sant Pau which is probably my favourite building ever.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #644 on: July 18, 2014, 08:09:21 pm »
Barcalona is a any amazing place. It's better than Madrid. 

Herby

« Reply #645 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
Jakarta

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:34 pm »
Barcalona is a any amazing place. It's better than Madrid. 

It's all personal opinion isn't it? I prefer Madrid. Madrid gives off a sort of 'take us as you find us' sort of vibe, which I like. Always feel more at ease and relaxed there.

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: July 19, 2014, 08:02:30 pm »
I think Barcelona is a nicer city but prefer the vibe, culture, cuisine and people in Madrid. But as you say it's personal opinion
@johnbuckels

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: July 21, 2014, 08:24:08 am »
I now hate phuket. Absolute shit hole. The first night we got there was a laugh but soon wore thin. Had to stay another 3 nights waiting for the plane we'd booked and by the end I wanted to hit anyone who pulled on me asking for either a tuk tuk/suit/massage or half the other shite they wanted to sell. Youd tell that fucker no and within 2 foot another asking the exact same would start. Could not wait to get out of there
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:25:41 am by macca007 »

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: July 22, 2014, 01:57:01 pm »
I lived there for 4 years when I went to Uni, as did Le Jake off here.

Fuck me what a dive.

Fuck Middlesborough ;D I remember walking home on a night out and some guy just walking up to me, smacking me in the face, and walking off.

Saying that, it does have the hairy homeless guy who shouts at traffic, and Parmos.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: July 22, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »
Fuck Middlesborough ;D I remember walking home on a night out and some guy just walking up to me, smacking me in the face, and walking off.

Get your coat you've pulled mate! that's the north eastern mating ritual, no?!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #651 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:22 pm »
Had a nice day in Barcelona today to be fair, got upgraded to a nice suite at our hotel which is also a plus

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #652 on: July 25, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »
Had a nice day in Barcelona today to be fair, got upgraded to a nice suite at our hotel which is also a plus

Cos its a top fucking place ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #653 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:59 pm »
The hotel? Yeah it's pretty nice.
The city, not a patch on Malaga ;)

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: July 25, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »
I absolutley love Malaga! Wonderful place, as is Barcelona. Can't we all just get along!
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: July 25, 2014, 09:40:46 pm »
London hasnt been mentioned for a while.So ill say it. London.Went to visit a few mates for a few days a week back and can safely say i dont miss it one bit.I realised theres a reason i left so long ago.The only nice thing about it was being at a mates house in Chiswick overlooking the river drinking beers in the garden.The rest frankly was as i remember it.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: July 27, 2014, 02:24:05 pm »
I can't understand how people can hate London and Paris.

There are certain elements of cities that I don't like, but hate is too strong a word. I had a cracking time in Amsterdam but the place looked like a garbage tip. We didn't meet many charming, affable Parisians but the place has some of the best art galleries and architecture in the world.

If I had to mention one place it would be Ho Chi Minh City. Walking the streets you occasionally get a whiff of this popular fruit called "Durian". It made me want to heave every time. There's not much to see within the city. Most people go there wanting to see the Cu Chi tunnels and the Mekong Delta. The tunnels were fun but the river was disgusting. Having said that, the food everywhere in Vietnam was amazing and Hanoi is a great city.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: July 27, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

There are certain elements of cities that I don't like, but hate is too strong a word. I had a cracking time in Amsterdam but the place looked like a garbage tip. We didn't meet many charming, affable Parisians but the place has some of the best art galleries and architecture in the world.

If I had to mention one place it would be Ho Chi Minh City. Walking the streets you occasionally get a whiff of this popular fruit called "Durian". It made me want to heave every time. There's not much to see within the city. Most people go there wanting to see the Cu Chi tunnels and the Mekong Delta. The tunnels were fun but the river was disgusting. Having said that, the food everywhere in Vietnam was amazing and Hanoi is a great city.

easy to hate London to be honest.Going out on a night out there is a nightmare.Walking over rubbish put outside shops/restaurants/bars.Getting home is a night bus full of nobs generally unless you get an unlicensed cab,depending on where you live. tubes stop running at stupidoclock.1am is it still? its just generally too busy too.overcrowded.Prices are ridiculous.Theres some nice places ill give it that, chiswick and Richmond are lovely.Thing I love about Richmond  is you dont feel your in London which is a bonus

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
« Reply #658 on: July 27, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
Swansea. Absolte shithole!

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: July 27, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »
easy to hate London to be honest.Going out on a night out there is a nightmare.Walking over rubbish put outside shops/restaurants/bars.Getting home is a night bus full of nobs generally unless you get an unlicensed cab,depending on where you live. tubes stop running at stupidoclock.1am is it still? its just generally too busy too.overcrowded.Prices are ridiculous.Theres some nice places ill give it that, chiswick and Richmond are lovely.Thing I love about Richmond  is you dont feel your in London which is a bonus

I think when the best places in a city are the ones that make you feel like you aren't in the city, it's a pretty good sign that it's a shit city
@johnbuckels

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: July 30, 2014, 10:41:01 pm »
As an English man with a Vietnamese wife, Frankfut was the best place in Germany for us to live as it was so cosmopolitan. I lived there 3 times for a total period of about 2.5 years and loved it.  I an understand that there is a big difference between living somewhere and visiting, with Frankfurt and Houston both being fantastic places to live, but not so great for a visit.
I've been to Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, Munich, Frankfurt, Cologne, Hamburg, Bremen, and Hannover.
While all weren't amazing must-see places there's something about each of them I'd be able to recommend to anybody - except Frankfurt. 

Very boring compared with the rest of Germany. It seems like it's been built from the ground up to be a non-traditional German city, a centre of business rather than somewhere visit and have some fun. I can't claim any of the knowledge you have from living there but I won't be going back whereas Munich I will try and get to anytime I'm within 500 miles of it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:45 pm »
Madrid.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:27 pm »
I've been to Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, Munich, Frankfurt, Cologne, Hamburg, Bremen, and Hannover.
While all weren't amazing must-see places there's something about each of them I'd be able to recommend to anybody - except Frankfurt. 

Very boring compared with the rest of Germany. It seems like it's been built from the ground up to be a non-traditional German city, a centre of business rather than somewhere visit and have some fun. I can't claim any of the knowledge you have from living there but I won't be going back whereas Munich I will try and get to anytime I'm within 500 miles of it.

mad that.Been to a few of the places youve mentioned and i absolutely loved Frankfurt.Each to their own i suppose

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #663 on: July 31, 2014, 12:01:27 am »
nbvbj

Herby

« Reply #664 on: July 31, 2014, 12:10:49 am »

I think London and Paris are great cities. I've been to each many times.

I can imagine if you get sucked into the "tourist trap" of each city, you wouldn't like it.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: July 31, 2014, 12:15:02 am »
I think London and Paris are great cities. I've been to each many times.

I can imagine if you get sucked into the "tourist trap" of each city, you wouldn't like it.

Paris shits on London.I am biased though.I left London coz i hated it

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #666 on: July 31, 2014, 03:43:36 am »
Madrid.

Care to expand on that? Madrid is one of the best places I've ever been. Lived there for 2.5 years and it was amazing in a lot of aspects.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: July 31, 2014, 03:59:07 am »
;D

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: July 31, 2014, 11:16:59 am »

Care to expand on that? Madrid is one of the best places I've ever been. Lived there for 2.5 years and it was amazing in a lot of aspects.

No I don't get how anyone could hate Madrid either. I envy you for getting the chance to live there for a while.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:03 am »
Blackburn is the worst UK city I've been to. Truly miserable. Birmingham and Leicester aren't too far behind.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #671 on: August 2, 2014, 05:33:01 am »
This is easy:

Sheffield
Bangkok
Dubai
Dallas
Cancun
Bandar Abbas

Can I change my mind?  Just got back form a few days in Dubai and totally loved it.  So different to when I last went about 10 years ago.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: August 7, 2014, 02:51:40 am »
Vegas. Tacky shithole.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: August 7, 2014, 08:54:31 am »

I have been there twice on holiday and have had bad experiences on both, so I have scratched that off the future holiday list.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #674 on: August 7, 2014, 09:25:45 am »
Can I change my mind?  Just got back form a few days in Dubai and totally loved it.  So different to when I last went about 10 years ago.
Vegas. Tacky shithole.
i notice vegas and cancun

i thought about here for my honeymoon next year

that a no no
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: August 7, 2014, 10:31:34 am »
Riga

dodgy as fuck, was afraid of my own shadow

My girlfriend is Latvian so I've been to Riga twice in the last few years for a few days at a time. It's an extremely unfriendly city. The customer service is non existant as people shrug their lives away.

Fortunately, as I said, she's from the country and speaks Russian so it's easier to get by but I'm not sure how I'd get on with a group of English only speakers.

The old town is fine, not much bother there but around the main bus stop area is horrible, full of drunks and homeless.

However, there is a Japanese restaurant chain called Gan Bei which I must always compliment, great food and incredibly friendly staff. There's one in the central station and a couple of more around the city.

Did you venture outside the city centre at all? I had to meet relatives in the suburbs of Riga. Just rows and rows of apartment blocks, it's strange not to see houses and estates at all in the suburbs.

The zoo is very much like the city, messy. There's not real route in the zoo, you can miss so much by not going down a path that looks like it's going nowhere.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #676 on: August 7, 2014, 10:42:26 am »
used to go with a latvian girl myself funny enough but i was there for a stag do (long after we broke up)

one of the lads was pickpocketed the first night and lost about 300 euro worth of his money

stories of bouncers frogmarching lads to atms and emptying them out or cornering them in clubs until they handed over money etc and the police not giving a fuck

hostel we stayed in was the only place i felt safe. it was called something ridiculous like friendly franks fun time hostel. frank the fella running it cancelled go karting on us on our last day just out of badness. he wasnt latvian, some of the lads thought he was sound  but i thought he was a complete arsehole. he took us on one pub crawl one night which was utter shite and actually ditched us

only time i ventured out of the centre was to some war bunker where we did rifle shooting.

service was indeed crap. we found some irish bar called paddy whelans thinking we would be looked after. not a bit. we all ordered a fry up. we were waiting an hour and a half and we ended up walking out. there was a good few drinks had between us but we never paid for them. food in most places was tragic. only places with decent food were McNasty's and tgi fridays.

i had a good weekend thanks to being surrounded by my mates but i couldnt wait to get home and neither could they.

once outside of the hostel i never was on my own. im 6ft 2 and 16-17 stone and can handle myself (last fight i was in a few years ago i actually knocked a bloke out with one punch) but i was bricking it over there.

« Last Edit: August 7, 2014, 10:45:31 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #677 on: August 7, 2014, 12:04:44 pm »
Vegas. Tacky shithole.
+1

I've been to Vegas around 20 times (on business) in total.  Stayed in suites at the best hotels. 

Hated every second of it.

After business was done, I preferred to leave immediately by driving to L.A. rather than stay an extra night to fly out.

Vegas is my idea of hell on earth.

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: August 7, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »
i notice vegas and cancun

i thought about here for my honeymoon next year

that a no no

Depends what you like, I guess. If you're into getting stupid drunk/clubbing, gambling, and cheesy casinos, then go to Vegas.

I'm a big boxing fan, and I went there with my old man a few years back to see a fight (Vegas being the "fight capital of the world" and all). I just hated it. I'm not a big drinker and there wasn't much to do besides walk up the strip and have people flick these stupid advertising cards at your. There's no history, no culture, no shopping and no sightseeing, unless you take a bus 2hrs+ out to Arizona (which I would actually recommend). And there's no bloody sports teams, unless you're interested in AAA baseball. It's pretty much the douche capital of the world and the antithesis of everything I look for in a vacation.

I can't speak on Cancun as I've never been to Mexico.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: August 7, 2014, 02:29:33 pm »

The "Irish Bars" that don't show the Leinster GAA Football Final, that was annoying!

The difference between prices in Riga is crazy too. I went to a casino/bar and got pints for €1.50, then I was dragged along to a bar called La Roca where a bottle of Heineken was €5. It was the only beer they served. I was not pleased.

Next time/If you're in Riga you should get a train to Jurmala. You'd get off at Majori station. It's a lovely seaside resort with loads of food stalls, souvenir stalls and what not. You can have a stroll along the Baltic coastline too. Only takes about 35 minutes or so on the train.

Either way, to get back on topic; Riga is a dour, mostly horrible place outside of the old town!