Author Topic: General West Ham thread  (Read 412375 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: General West Ham thread
« Reply #3960 on: September 24, 2023, 07:35:14 pm »
I see Phil Blundell on Twitter saying the Paqueta gambling issue is ‘as bad as it gets - worse than Toney.’ (Slightly paraphrasing but that’s the gist of what he is saying).

Can anyone explain why that is?

Didn't all the bets take place on the island he's from and using accounts registered with West Ham's sponsor (Betway) who were the ones who flagged it

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3961 on: September 24, 2023, 07:42:03 pm »
Paqueta was quality today.

He was.  Really good player.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3962 on: September 24, 2023, 08:14:47 pm »
Didn't all the bets take place on the island he's from and using accounts registered with West Ham's sponsor (Betway) who were the ones who flagged it

I get that yeah, but how can they link that to Paqueta getting booked on purpose.

We all know he probably did. But how do you prove that? If it wasn’t him personally making the bets.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3963 on: September 24, 2023, 08:18:28 pm »
I see Phil Blundell on Twitter saying the Paqueta gambling issue is ‘as bad as it gets - worse than Toney.’ (Slightly paraphrasing but that’s the gist of what he is saying).

I know he has been getting bookings that people have been profiting off, but I thought the loop hole was that it would be hard to prove. Nearly impossible? And that’s why he isn’t banned now?

Really haven’t looked into it that much, nor heard any good summations.

Haven’t seen anything on it since the story broke but wasn’t his family placing big amounts on him getting booked and then there’s clear evidence of him picking up ridiculous bookings. Guess that directly impacts a game in. Toney was betting on anything and everything and I think bet on Brentford to lose, but in a game he wasn’t playing in.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3964 on: September 24, 2023, 08:18:31 pm »
I thought West Ham were outstanding today to be honest. First half felt like the best away performance I've seen at Anfield for a while. Soucek, Paqueta and Alvarez in midfield is a pretty outstanding trio. Ward-Prowse is 100% better as a footballer than people give him credit for too. Much more than just free-kicks and corners. Very good.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3965 on: September 24, 2023, 08:42:48 pm »
Haven’t seen anything on it since the story broke but wasn’t his family placing big amounts on him getting booked and then there’s clear evidence of him picking up ridiculous bookings. Guess that directly impacts a game in. Toney was betting on anything and everything and I think bet on Brentford to lose, but in a game he wasn’t playing in.

But without him physically making the bets himself, how can they prove those bookings were on purpose? I think that’s what I’m getting at but doing a shitty job explaining haha. Toney got caught placing bets himself.

Paqueta’s friends/family are betting - not him, but betting on games he is playing in. Is that allowed? And if it is, then the issue is Paqueta deliberately getting booked but how can they prove that?

Maybe they don’t need to prove it and they can just ban him on that alone? But the fact he is still playing feels like it’s not as cut and dry compared to Toney. 

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3966 on: September 24, 2023, 08:45:39 pm »

I bet he'd be great for us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3967 on: September 24, 2023, 08:48:52 pm »
But without him physically making the bets himself, how can they prove those bookings were on purpose? I think that’s what I’m getting at but doing a shitty job explaining haha. Toney got caught placing bets himself.

Paqueta’s friends/family are betting - not him, but betting on games he is playing in. Is that allowed? And if it is, then the issue is Paqueta deliberately getting booked but how can they prove that?

Maybe they don’t need to prove it and they can just ban him on that alone? But the fact he is still playing feels like it’s not as cut and dry compared to Toney. 

Toney did play on for a long time before getting his ban. That story broke around Christmas (I think) and he played almost all the rest of the season.

I don’t know the rules about family members being allowed to bet. Didn’t Sturridge get done for giving someone inside info on a transfer? Maybe it is hard to prove, maybe the City lawyers are just working away quietly behind the scenes! Although they’ve moved on with Nunes presumably.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3968 on: September 24, 2023, 08:50:18 pm »

I know he has been getting bookings that people have been profiting off, but I thought the loop hole was that it would be hard to prove. Nearly impossible? And that’s why he isn’t banned now?

I thought the reason he wasn't banned now was because these things take time for a tribunal and then time for a decision.

Like Toney was charged in November (just before the world cup started) didn't have a hearing until January (just after our game against Brentford) and wasn't banned until like May

Until he has the hearing and the verdict made I think he can continue to play.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 08:52:34 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3969 on: September 24, 2023, 08:56:06 pm »

This Tweet was trending again just after the charges came out last month.

That day in march there was flurry of bets of Paqueta getting booked as well a Brazilian player in a Ligue 1 game that evening, i'm guessing some betters made lots of money on that double bet that is just so random and it caused some flashing lights at Betfair, especially if the actual bets all came from a specific island off Brazil (IP address i'm guessing) where his family are based.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 09:07:42 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3970 on: September 24, 2023, 08:56:17 pm »
Ah ok, that’s a fair point you both make about Toney. Had forgotten he was still playing for ages with that hanging over him.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3971 on: September 24, 2023, 08:56:50 pm »

he was odds on for a booking in one game wasn't he, it may be difficult to prove but I guess it's a tribunal not a court of law so the threshold might be lower
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3972 on: September 24, 2023, 09:20:16 pm »
he was odds on for a booking in one game wasn't he, it may be difficult to prove but I guess it's a tribunal not a court of law so the threshold might be lower

And the islanders were still lumping on him.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3973 on: September 24, 2023, 09:27:36 pm »

When Sturridge got caught, they seized his mobile phone and found texts. I imagine they can do the same in this case and I'm sure there will be a trail somewhere (if true). What he's accused of also isn't just against the laws of football but also illegal, so the police could get involved and gather such information too.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3975 on: September 24, 2023, 09:33:28 pm »
I get that yeah, but how can they link that to Paqueta getting booked on purpose.

We all know he probably did. But how do you prove that? If it wasn’t him personally making the bets.

You can tell by watching how he runs. He doesn't put in the effort, but just gambols.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3976 on: September 24, 2023, 09:34:34 pm »
What’s alleged is that Paqueta had direct contact with family members and friends of Paqueta island - where he gets his family name - I think it hinges on this proof or lack thereof. Sturridge was banned for a non-game affecting breach of info, and this does look bad for Paqueta. Leaks in Brazil allege that Betway and another UK bookie raised alarms when Rio De Janeiro IP addresses directly from Paqueta island we’re betting in flurries on markets with bookings, then internet activity linked to another area of mainland Brazil in which further suspicious bets were placed after clear contact from IP addresses located on the island.

They’ve set a precedent because he’ll have to be given a significantly worse ban than Toney.

A shame because he’s a phenomenal footballer, but you can’t do something match-affecting and quite clearly stupid in such a way. How they can prove the contact was there between Paqueta and the family is the difficult thing. He clearly has contact, but if they can’t directly prove it happened then what can they do?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3977 on: September 24, 2023, 09:38:09 pm »
Yeah this is one of them where by if he gets banned, it has to be for years if not a permanent ban, because he is actively taken part in the action

I think back to Mutu who I believe got a 2 year ban for doing coke, I feel this would be a much harsher punishment than even that

I say it is a shame because he is quality, but if he is doing something like this he deserves it frankly, this isn't like Toney who is an addict, this is a concentrated effort towards a scam

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3978 on: September 24, 2023, 11:41:38 pm »
Fucking Clinton Antonio, there
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3979 on: September 24, 2023, 11:51:03 pm »
Fucking Clinton Antonio, there
Laugh at Antonio here.

LOL
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3980 on: September 25, 2023, 01:58:37 am »
Shame if he gets a ban. He’s a wonderful footballer.

Bowen is good too

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3981 on: September 25, 2023, 02:48:30 am »
Shame if he gets a ban. He’s a wonderful footballer.

I hope the greedy twat gets 2years minimum. I could never trust somebody like that at our Club.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3982 on: September 25, 2023, 11:54:16 am »
Is it okay to sing "we're Champions of Europe" after winning the Conference League?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3983 on: September 25, 2023, 11:55:50 am »
Is it okay to sing "we're Champions of Europe" after winning the Conference League?
Tell me they didn't really sing that. Please.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3984 on: September 25, 2023, 12:30:18 pm »
I think it's tongue in cheek. Nothing wrong with them celebrating the best thing that benighted club will ever do.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3985 on: September 25, 2023, 01:16:12 pm »

he’d have been another ready made star walking into that Abu Dhabi team, thankfully he did a dodgy bet thing  :P

Him and bowen are two very good players and showed it again yesterday.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3986 on: September 25, 2023, 02:37:54 pm »
What’s alleged is that Paqueta had direct contact with family members and friends of Paqueta island - where he gets his family name - I think it hinges on this proof or lack thereof. Sturridge was banned for a non-game affecting breach of info, and this does look bad for Paqueta. Leaks in Brazil allege that Betway and another UK bookie raised alarms when Rio De Janeiro IP addresses directly from Paqueta island we’re betting in flurries on markets with bookings, then internet activity linked to another area of mainland Brazil in which further suspicious bets were placed after clear contact from IP addresses located on the island.

They’ve set a precedent because he’ll have to be given a significantly worse ban than Toney.

A shame because he’s a phenomenal footballer, but you can’t do something match-affecting and quite clearly stupid in such a way. How they can prove the contact was there between Paqueta and the family is the difficult thing. He clearly has contact, but if they can’t directly prove it happened then what can they do?

Just a quick correction there, his name is Lucas Tolentino Coelho de Lima, just a normal Portuguese name, his nickname is Paqueta, it is normal to nickname someone to the name where they are from if there is another person with same name, my cousin had it too in the Portuguese Navy.

But ya, Paqueta is not his family name.

Nothing to do with the charges or topic, just a tidbit for you haha.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3987 on: September 25, 2023, 07:51:59 pm »
Looking at their forum and seeing a few videos making the rounds, they really don’t hide their contempt for Salah. Not sure how anyone can say that wasn’t a penalty. It was about as stonewall as they come.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3988 on: September 26, 2023, 06:50:35 pm »
Looking at their forum and seeing a few videos making the rounds, they really don’t hide their contempt for Salah. Not sure how anyone can say that wasn’t a penalty. It was about as stonewall as they come.

Also claiming Mac Allister's challenge on Bowen was a penalty.

"You never get a penalty at Anfield" forgetting that they had a penalty at Anfield last fucking season.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3989 on: October 4, 2023, 01:27:18 pm »
Antonio back at it again, saying he won against us, even though they didn’t win because he got into our fans heads.

Buffoon.
AHA!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3990 on: October 4, 2023, 02:46:30 pm »
Antonio back at it again, saying he won against us, even though they didn’t win because he got into our fans heads.

Buffoon.

Haha what.  You got a link for that?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3991 on: October 4, 2023, 02:55:18 pm »
Only seen it on a load of Liverpool related Twitter pages, assume he’s said it on his podcast (that he’s actually bothered to show up for this week).

There’s an Echo link actually… https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michail-antonio-breaks-silence-after-27841209
AHA!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3992 on: October 4, 2023, 02:57:14 pm »
Ta.  Winning without winning?  I know a club who might be interested in him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3993 on: October 4, 2023, 02:57:56 pm »

Buffoon.

He’s taking his lead from his manager, famous for winning without winning.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3994 on: October 4, 2023, 03:07:36 pm »
Current players doing podcasts about teams and players they're facing seems incredibly stupid.  That the two current protagonists - Antonio and Callum Wilson - themselves seem incredibly stupid and lacking in self awareness doesn't help.

I really hope not to be proven wrong but I don't see it being something Klopp or FSG would ever sanction.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3995 on: October 4, 2023, 03:17:54 pm »
Current players doing podcasts about teams and players they're facing seems incredibly stupid.  That the two current protagonists - Antonio and Callum Wilson - themselves seem incredibly stupid and lacking in self awareness doesn't help.

I really hope not to be proven wrong but I don't see it being something Klopp or FSG would ever sanction.
Wilson is a complete imbecile.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #3996 on: October 6, 2023, 09:58:10 am »
First English side to go 17 consecutive games in European competition without defeat after their win last night. Yes, a lot of them were in the 3rd tier Conference League, but it's still very impressive when so many mid table PL sides crash and burn in Europe. Moyes has done a very good job with this lot.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3997 on: October 6, 2023, 10:02:52 am »
First English side to go 17 consecutive games in European competition without defeat after their win last night. Yes, a lot of them were in the 3rd tier Conference League, but it's still very impressive when so many mid table PL sides crash and burn in Europe. Moyes has done a very good job with this lot.

I was very impressed with them at Anfield the other week. Moyes is a very good team builder, he's just tactically limited. Winning a trophy has given them confidence though.

They also reached the Europa League semi the year before, so it was odd that Brighton (in the toughest group and never played in Europe before) were 2nd favourites to win the Europa League. They had a bad league season but European exertions and the hangover from playing so many games the year before without a proper break (which we also suffered) didn't help.

Looking at the odds now they're still behind Brighton in the betting for the competition. Leverkusen and Roma have shot up though (and you'll get some big CL dropouts).

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3998 on: October 6, 2023, 03:06:16 pm »
How has JWP not made the England squad?

7 assists and 2 goals in his 9 games this season.

How are Phillips and Henderson getting in there ahead of him.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3999 on: October 6, 2023, 03:09:54 pm »
How has JWP not made the England squad?

7 assists and 2 goals in his 9 games this season.

How are Phillips and Henderson getting in there ahead of him.

Southgate, who my uncle met once by a river and described him to me as the most boring man he'd ever met